Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Re: Gardening - Herbs, Roots, Veggies, Flowers & More

Post by Rachel »

Yesterday I potted up three dahlias, a large pot Sparaxis (plus one individual to give to mother if it comes up.)
Potted on a lupin, cucumber (grafted. Clip came off so a bit concerned about infection, but we shall see) one rather large tomato, 'dwarf' mulberry, pricked out 12 courgettes, 8 tomatoes, sowed 15 pots of sunflowers 3x5 varieties, potted on the mimosa, and cosmos plant. Also made little chicken wire hats for the dahlia and sparaxis pots (otherwise may be used as a toilet by Lily-cat.)
I have some anenome(s) somwhere but can't find them...

This all took me hours, but there was quite a bit of 'where's the xxx that used to be in the lean to?' then rooting around in the very crammed shed. (A declutter is getting critical.)

Peas tomorrow I think. Need to put sweet peas in a pot, strawberries in strawberry trough (lots seem to have not made it through the winter) more potting on of things, and various other things I probably ought to try and put in the (rock hard) soil. Also need to sort out raised beds. (Weeding and manure. Not sure what's going in there.) Will need more compost though...

Strawberry pyramid needs ore plants too, but so many I have had to order them. (Too expensive at garden centre.)

Day off gardening today though.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Busy busy Rachel.
You say 240 onions is a lot. Then you've got 12 courgette plants? I've sown 16, but my older seed doesn't look like its germinating. Currently got 6 out of a potential 8 of the newer (yellow) variety. Four is about right. I am contemplating getting them in the ground this weekend with a cloche over them. I sowed a fair few cucumbers at the same time, they could go in too.

My cosmos, I think I'll transplant tomorrow. They germinated very well, my asters, sweet William and carnations aren't coming up so quickly.

Plot today, I picked asparagus this morning. I picked more this afternoon, it's coming so fast now.
Some hoeing, weeding, space where the courgettes and cucumbers are going is cleared, cut the grass, used the edging shears around it all (I'm borderline OCD)
Sown more spinach, French beans, thinned carrots.

Plonker neighbour has yet to show their face. Inspection next Sunday. It's a mess really. A lot of work to take it on,,,,,,

Hot day.
The answer is not to be found at the bottom of a bottle

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Well seismic, what can one do? As you say, if you only sow as many as you want, they may not all come up. I shall throw/give away some. Already inadvertently killed one this morning.

I noticed the bought cucumber is a greenhouse variety. Doh! I have some other varieties on order. Two cucamelons (old seed) were coming up.

About 33% of sunflowers came up over night. (Sown Saturday.) Planted out strawberries and potted on other mulberry and finger lime yesterday. Raised trug is almost ready for first pea sowing now (had to go out an buy more compost.) Sage and parsley potted on. Am wondering whether to pull out huge, but horribly slugged sage in the herb patch. Slugs do seem to love sage. The plant was beautiful and healthy a couple of months ago.

I am putting off putting flowers in the garden a) because of the terrible hard, root-bound soil; and b) because of slugs.

How much space do you give to your asparagus/how many crowns? OH was asking about it. I don't think we have the room.

Garden centre tomato now has tiny pinhead toms on it!
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

6 courgettes gone in. It'll be too much. 9 cucumbers, I did very well with them last year.

My current big issue is clumps of grass. I reclaimed a LOT of path over winter and have a sizeable quantity of sods. Most are upside down waiting to get the soil shaken off them when it's dry leaving grass n roots to dry done more and burn. However, there's so much of it and it's all over growing space (on top of plastic). Wife suggested weedkiller and sectioning it off.

No evidence of neighbour still. It's inspection day tomorrow. Looking like I'm inheriting a 1/4 plot. Lady the other side would take the other 1/4. It's a half plot. I think there are 14 large plots left, mine being one of them.

Asparagus is 12" spacing per plant and 2 1/2' per row I think.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Grass wise, I'd forgotten about the council brown bin scheme. Never had one. £50 for a year, once a month collection. 12 trips to the tip is more diesel than that. ;)?

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I have a big brown wheelie bin for gardening stuff. V useful. Once a fortnight March to November, and once a month in December - February for £60, so good value I think. If one wants to go to the dump, there are huge queues at the weekend (only time we can go).

Various plants have arrived in the last day or two. Sweet potatoes, miscanthus (don't remember ordering - this still happens even when you don't drink ;) ) freesia corms, some strawberries plants at home, apparently (hopefully including some unusual raspberry-like ones).

edit: I just realized that the miscanthus were a present for my mother. I shall keep one of them though. They are this one: https://www.jparkers.co.uk/miscanthus-i ... llection-1 Rather tall though, and might be invasive :o

I need to pot up some seedlings. My seedlings seem a bit delicate. Not sure I have cracked the growing from seed thing.
My oldest tomato plant now has marrowfat sized toms on it. I shall pot it on this weekend. (Barely a week since it was last potted on, but it's now about 4ft high.)

Also need to put some flowering plants out this weekend. I hope the weather is ok...

Some more plants should be coming in the next few days (hopefully not trying to arrive at work over the bank holiday, but I wouldn't put it past Suttons...)

I also found the bag of new seed I lost! Some of it will keep now until next year.

So asparagus... how big a plot minimum for two, do you think? I might be better off culling/moving my rhubarb (currently taking up a raised bed) and having asparagus instead. I am not sure if there is enough light though. The large bamboos growing on the other side of our garden fence don't help. They are at the bottom/top of a school paying field. Not sure if they are there intentionally. It's tempting to just chop 'em down.
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Ooh I just noticeed I have an artichoke growing on one of my artichoke plants! :D ... i think. It's a bit loose. Maybe a bud from last year?
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

3' X 2' for two plants I think. Even if there's only two of you I think 4-6 plants.
Rhubarb is pretty tough, it'll be fine in the ground.

I used Parkers for soft fruit a few years ago, about 1/2 the raspberries died/were dead. Straggly looking strawberries too.

I think the thing with plants is, you order them, they get posted when they are ready, when you've forgotten.

Currently the plot feels like it's getting away from me. Parsnip zone needs weeding (not that I can see any evidence of germination ). Asparagus bed desperate for weeding, flower section a bit weedy, all that bloody grass.
I'll get there.

Put most of the brassicas out and netted the cage yesterday, took a while. Started hoeing and forgot I'd sown French beans, not marked very well. I think I lanced a few.

Today off. Next Monday booked off too, but that's more to do with the triathlon I haven't really trained for on the Sunday. Some time off booked in June too but that might go by the wayside due to the interview I had on Friday. Possible job change on the cards.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Problem is, I don't have any spare ground...

I am now tempted by a cocktail Kiwi plant. I think I can accommodate one...

My mother thinks Parkers is rubbish too, but the bulbs I got from them are ok. Parkers were the only ones selling this particular grass that she has set her heart on.

I didn't do much this weekend. Not feeling well, low energy, depressed... I should have done some gardening! Last night I tricked myself into doing some. I needed to pot up strawberry plugs and bare root plants (not ready to put out properly yet) and ended up potting on black kale, cherry 'bushes' some flowering plants too. Maybe other stuff. I was out there for 90- mins anyway.

I have brought my tomato plants back inside, so cold is it. I really need to pot them on too. Need to pot on the big (with fruit on it) one too. May do that tonight.

Still yet to sew peas, but it is cold...

I want to get another raspberry. Maybe an autumn fruiting one. Maybe a yellow one.

I do hope my plants don't arrive on Friday as going up to mother's. I suppose I could take with if they arrive by 4, as driving back on Saturday
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Cold.
Some of my spud leaves felt it on Monday morning. A few small cosmos not looking happy either.
I think I have some parsnips coming. I'd nearly given up hope.

My Toms really need shifting.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I wish it would get warmer. I am running out of room for plants in doors. I really need to pot on 6 toms into intermediate pots too. My biggest tomato (not the healthiest plant, I have to say) was put into a big pot at the weekend.

I potted on 40, yes 40, plus plants last night. In the rain! They are in the unheated glass-roofed lean to now. I want to put them outside... Potting them up was purely a biding time strategy. A load of them arrived on Wednesday. Some are sweetcorn and they were not looking happy. I hope potting them on helps them to survive. I am thinking of growing them in one of those large supermarket so-called 'bags for life'. I have one with sweetcorn on it :) (Mot essential. Might encourage them?!!) Or they could go in the raised bed. There might be enough light now. The other plants were strawberries, beetroot and chillis. (Cherry bomb - bought, and machu picchu - grown from seed.)

I'd already potted up about 15 strawberries this week. Do I need this many (more are coming)? Probably. A lot didn't survive in my pyramid planter. I may be throwing good money after bad, but I want to give it another try. Will put slow release plant food in when I plant them up. I do have another large planter of them as well. Might create another. I have a couple of wooden crates that need a use.

Seismic, how long do you wait before planting after digging in well-rotted manure? I tried to do a bit of reading around... (apparently root veg don't like manure?)
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

If its well rotted there's no issue, straight away. Manure for me is a winter job though.

Roots don't like it too rich it must be said. Roots go in after potatoes one year to the next, I don't re-feed the soil.

I have cherry bomb chillis too, they were a secret Santa pressie. A tin, full of growing compound (coir, soil, I dunno what) and seeds. More seeds than were necessary for the tin. Still, good germination.

My Sweetcorn are going to have to wait, not all seeds have sprung up though. I think I have 50+ waaaaaaaay too much.

Cold snaps have killed off a few cosmos, cucumbers, dahlias suffering a bit.
And now it's dry. :evil: PITA.

today, some toms (moneymaker) down the plot and runner beans transplanted.
Peas are fully caged for pigeon protection (a newbie asked me why I had such cover on peas today,,,,en route to possibly finding their new plants ravaged)

My sweet peas are not looking happy. Put them out far too soon I think.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

My sweet peas are a bit raggy, but ok. Big tomato is a bit wilty.

Potted on my other toms yesterday, as well as grown from seed toms and chillis. I can't really do them all. May offer them to others if they look healthy enough. The tomaoes are purple ones. Indigo something.

Two dahlias are coming up now and some sparaxis. Also a couple of ancient anemone corms.

There are potatoes coming up in bags from last year... :?

Sweet potatoes don't look very happy. I hope I can put them outside soon. It loos like it b=might begin to warm up nexct weekend.

I still have not yet sown peas!

I am going to France on Satruday, so will be tired on Sunday (plus rather ill at the mo.) so not sure how much I will get done next weekend.
Rachel

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Potatoes present themselves all the time. They're dotted amongst my carrots/parsnips/onions.

The other tubers, Jerusalem artichoke. I dug it all up, moved the big ones elsewhere. Previous patch is is overrun. :roll:

Enjoy France. Which bit? I expect it'll be warm n sunny wherever you're going.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

No it's just a day trip Seismic, so Normandy. Last I looked, overcast too! But one can't do these things spontaenously anymore, it would seem. The cheap day returns for most of the summer had been booked up 2 months ago.
And this pre Brexit...
Rachel

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone »

Anyone have tips on establishing a new bed for iris?

All dug up and nowhere to go
All dug up and nowhere to go
F839D841-AF4C-4E7E-AA9E-2934DCDB5BCB.jpeg (212.87 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Pot them on and give them away to gardening friends?
be selfish in your sobriety.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Gardening is too hard work
Gardening is too hard work
60394171_10156554730103983_8575628330814930944_o.jpg (165.74 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Hi all, this is my daughter's idea of gardening, dog for company ;)

:lol:
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Ah ;)?
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

seismic23

Post by seismic23 »

Well, I have a recliner chair down the plot but I don't relax down there very often.

It's bloody dry. Spent an hour watering last night. My onions aren't really doing much. Shallots going to seed.
Currently cropping broad beans. I sowed spinach behind them so that is nicely shaded and doing well. A fair few salads.

My sweet peas are fighting back! Sowed in November, transplanted in March and trimmed a bit. They did not like the wind and cooler temperatures.
Raspberries look like another good crop. Strawberries, new plants last year, they've flowered and fruited but some fruit is falling off. Dryness I expect.

Jobs wise; weed brassica cage and transplant romanescu, weed flower area, weed carrots and thin, get rid of pesky Jerusalem artichokes, sort the sods of earth to reveal that area, transplant Sweetcorn, squashes, tomatoes, chillis, erect support for raspberries, weed around compost bins and cover with bark chippings.
Not much to do then :?