Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

What Has Made You Happy/Angry/Sad/Proud/Grateful Today?

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Re: What Has Made You Happy/Angry/Sad/Proud/Grateful Today?

Post by Spats » 18 Nov 2019 22:40

A little sad today- funeral of dear friend arranged for 27/11 so down to Bournemouth next week. Means I shall miss funeral of ex client which is arranged for 28/11 up here :cry:

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 19 Nov 2019 10:21

Sorry to hear that Spats <:)>

I will be doing the fresh bedding thing tonight. Should have done it Saturday, really. I hope my cats take this opportunity to dirty it up :) (White bedding.)

Anxious and sad about my mother. I feel she is deteriorating mentally. Not dementia per se, but just that the end is not that far away. We made a joking pact that she is not to die before Christmas... Will try to make this one as good as it can be, in the circumstances (her chair/bed boundness, no dining table, crappy cooking facilities, poor appetite and the crowning glory of the commode in the room where we eat, and attendant need to very frequently evacaute the room, and the ensuing smell... :? Of course, these are mainly issues for me and husband, not her, thinking about it!) This all said, when I pick up the phone to call her each evening, feeling full of compassion and love, and determined to be super patient she still manages to annoy the hell out of me :shock: But I keep this to myself, of course. But it makes me feel guilty.

In view of all this, very grateful that I don't drink. Drinking would make it so much harder to deal with. Everything was harder to deal with, when I drank.
Rachel

Sammie
Last Drink Date: 26 Oct 2018

Post by Sammie » 19 Nov 2019 10:36

Rachel, I don’t think you should feel guilty about your mum annoying you, you are doing everything you can for her and even though you know she will probably annoy you each night you still pick up the phone to talk to her, that is wonderful compassion <:)>

Spats, sorry to hear about the funerals <:)>

Nikki, I love it here, it’s my happy place :D

Today I am grateful for:
- tea, I love tea, a big mug of weak milky tea :D
- ugg boots, though the days are warm here, the nights are cold and I have no central heating, thank you ugg boots.
- my 2 wonderful girls who have undertaken this adventure with me, with minimal fuss or complaints and loads of support. My husband doesn’t arrive for another month so we have done 3 months here alone and they have been amazing, I am so very blessed.
Every storm runs out of rain.

Sammie

Post by Sammie » 20 Nov 2019 09:23

Today I am grateful for:

- having moved to smaller house, this make cleaning it soooo much easier and faster :D
- back playing netball tonight with a fab group of ladies who make me laugh
- sunshine, I don’t think I’ll ever stop being grateful for this.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Nov 2019 10:37

Thanks Sammie. People keep saying I should cherish her while I have he and I do, but the reality is difficult sometimes. I think humour is the best way forwards. Thank goodness she is quite easy to make laugh.

Grateful I managed to get a doctor's appointment for next week. It's very very difficult these days, even to get one in advance. Like getting blood out of a stone.

Sad. Just sad at the moment.
Last edited by Rachel on 20 Nov 2019 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 20 Nov 2019 11:35

Sad. Just sad at the moment.
I'm not surprised Rachel, it's very hard.

I think I shocked a few people when my Dad was dying, because I said I wished he'd get on with it! But I think it was OK to feel like that. It wasn't that I didn't love him - I did, profoundly - but it was very obvious that his time had come. We all wanted him to be able to die at home as he wished, but the strain of this was becoming unbearable.
Whatever we can do will never seem like enough to ourselves! It really sounds as if you are doing a sterling job of supporting her with great kindness and sensitivity.
Two reflections from when my Dad was dying: one thing I'm glad I did was write him a letter about how much I appreciated him as a father. It was only a single page, but he absolutely loved having it and I felt that he died in no doubt about how much I loved him. One thing I didn't do and wish I had was make a list of questions to aks him while I still could.

I'm thinking of you Rachel <:)> Please make time to care for yourself too.
Last edited by SoberBoots on 20 Nov 2019 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Nov 2019 15:53

Thanks Sally.
Rachel

Sammie

Post by Sammie » 21 Nov 2019 10:17

Today I am grateful for:
- the sound of seagulls, they’re all around where we live and I do really like it, they always sound like they’re having a go at each other, makes me smile, I probably won’t think that when they’re waking me far to early in the summer ;)
- meditation, having only recently taken it up I’m enjoying 10 minutes mist mornings with the calm app
- pastel de nata, a Portuguese pastry which I love 💕

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 21 Nov 2019 14:34

Sammie, how much of an issue would say language is (I'm assuming you're not a fluent Portugese speaker)? I've often fantasisied about a second or retirement home there (I think it's the most attractove of the European countries on quite a number of counts) but I'm daunted by that aspect of things.

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 22 Nov 2019 09:33

Going to be honest: out last night with ex-client’s wife who also has dementia. Noticed that she is getting worse. As daughter suggested, didn’t mention husband’s name or funeral. Nevertheless it did get emotional. Topped off with funeral in Bournemouth too (day before clients) I caved. One bottle of wine but has reaffirmed fact I can’t drink. I had fantasised about having just a couple of glasses.....

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 22 Nov 2019 14:48

Angry. With myself. For falling into the approval addiction trap that social media perpetuates.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Sammie

Post by Sammie » 22 Nov 2019 15:12

Hey SB, I love it out here, yes the language is bloody hard but in all honesty you could get by perfectly fine with minimal to nil if you wanted to, I really want to learn it so I’m doing my best but my husband only really wants to know the basics and he’s not nearly as stressed as me ;) . I’ve never learnt another language before which I think makes it even harder, I just keep telling myself it doesn’t matter how long it takes because I’m not going anywhere :D . It’s such a lovely place to live a very uncomplicated stress free (ok stress less ;) ) life.

CB, big <:)> ‘s . Now we only have 1 tv (and 2 children) I get minimal to nil use of the tv which is probably a good thing this time of year. I’ve also just restricted phone browsing/social media surfing to 1 hour a day, at one point I was constantly staring at my phone at shite, not good for me or for my kids to see.

Spats, so sorry to hear about your friends, drinking is totally understandable, what's important is that you have jumped straight back on the wagon, which we all know is no easy feat once we’ve started down the booze trail <:)>

Today I am grateful for:
- bright pink sparkly nail polish that I have just had put on my toes, so very festive.
- a Friday night plan of: home made pizza, ice cream, face masks and a movie with my girls
- even though it’s driving me slightly mad, learning to cook new vegetarian meals for my girls (who decided 1 week ago to go vegetarian) I’m not he best cook and it’s very hit and miss but we’re getting there :D

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 22 Nov 2019 19:47

Happy it was a nice day with daughter...little anxious she was but a bit of food ( with a big walk in between) helped . Lights and noise nerve her but we managed to buy some jeans and jumper for her . Timing is crucial,especially with roadworks :roll:
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Sammie

Post by Sammie » 23 Nov 2019 22:18

So glad you had a lovely day out pickles <:)>

Today I am grateful for:
- a nice day baking and cooking with my eldest
- tea and home made sponge cake
- my bed

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle » 23 Nov 2019 23:17

Not sure of the emotion but I'm fighting back, fcuk the NHS psychiatrists, filled in the form to get a private psychiatrist, filled in the forms to get my medical records (psychiatric) will deliver it Monday. Trying to get an appointment with my advocate re filling a complaint to the Mental Welfare Commission and contemplating trying to sue the b'stards, probably wouldn't win but I want to give them as much grief as they given me.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Sammie

Post by Sammie » 24 Nov 2019 09:18

Oh Ruby big <:)> ‘s sounds like your going through a humdinger if a time, I hope you have some support behind you. Stay strong sweets <:)>

Today I am grateful for
- children who have finally learnt to let me have a sleep in on the weekends (it’s only taken 11 years :D )
- sunshine
- getting back in to attending regular church mass after the upheaval of moving abroad.

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle » 24 Nov 2019 23:23

Thanks Sammie.

Grateful for getting me back.

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Sammie

Post by Sammie » 25 Nov 2019 15:18

Today I am grateful for:
- the kids being back at school ;)
- Going for a run
- my view of the sunrise every morning

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 25 Nov 2019 19:31

Awesome Sammie and Ruby.

Today I am happy because I have a solid week of sobriety under my belt. And just in time to spend quality time with my children and grandchildren spending AF time at the beach and in the jungle. Costa Rica ... here I come.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 25 Nov 2019 22:14

Cowboy wrote:
25 Nov 2019 19:31
Awesome Sammie and Ruby.

Today I am happy because I have a solid week of sobriety under my belt. And just in time to spend quality time with my children and grandchildren spending AF time at the beach and in the jungle. Costa Rica ... here I come.
Awesome Cowboy!