Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Positive Thinking and Positive Thoughts

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Re: Positive Thinking and Positive Thoughts

Post by Sandy » 07 Dec 2012 10:26

Lovely lovely post MH.
Live your dream, there is not a reason in the world that you cannot
Sandy

enoughisenough

Post by enoughisenough » 07 Dec 2012 21:09

Count me in MH :D lovely to see you there too Sandy <:)>
Yesterday I was clever, I wanted to change the world. Today I am wiser and am changing myself ~ Rumi

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 10 Dec 2012 12:06

This is getting very wearing. I wake up with positive thoughts and plans to achieve - and then things go wrong.

2 weeks ago my car drivers lock broke. I took it to the garage. They stripped down the door. And told me what spare part to get. Off to breakers yard. 2 days later, collect spare part. On Saturday, (10 days after the Monday) I'm back to the garage. It's the wrong spare part ( his mistake - after he stripped out the door again). He re orders a new bit. And has just phoned 'can he have the car for 2 days as he thinks he's ordered the wrong bit and he doesn't want to keep stripping out the car? Meanwhile I am walking home with my bike-with-a-puncture. On Saturday I went into a bike shop and asked if they could fit an inner tyre for me. Yes, on Monday. And yet, when it comes to Monday, no-one can do anything. And my house phone still doesn't work. I'm fairly sure there is a fault at the exchange, but they keep telling me the line is ok.

I really wish I was drinking, because then I would think it was all my fault, but despite the sun shine, I'm beginning to feel very, very fed up.
be selfish in your sobriety.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 10 Dec 2012 12:26

Thanks Joop. If I had a hangover I wouldn't even be trying to sort stuff, I'd just be curled up in bed. It's just so frustrating and exhausting. And totally messes with my plans. I have one day off to do stuff I get everything organised to do, and outside agencies let me down. And then, because it all happens to me I start to feel paranoia

But yes, a cup of tea indeedy.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 10 Dec 2012 12:47

I can empathise with that! And turning it into a fun day still wont't get the car or bike or phone repaired.

I'm going in the garden to cut down trees....

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 11 Dec 2012 09:26

I'm not a religious person either MH, but I love that too and always have - thanks <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Jaxom
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by Jaxom » 16 Dec 2012 10:14

That is a wonderful post Mountainhare. What you write is so true and written well. I hope it inspires many to get off the mental couch, step outside the comfort zone and get fully up for the challenges ahead. ;)? indeed! In fact why wait for the new year? Come on people lets go for it!
An Inuit story. An old man is talking to his grandson: 'Inside me are two dogs fighting: a black one and a white one.` `Which one will win?' asks the boy. 'The one I feed'

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 14 Mar 2013 08:57

The sun is burning the frost off the roof and I'm feeling positive. I usually, mostly, really enjoy my day to day job. Sometimes there are personality niggles, but then we may not work with any particular personality for several days - it's the way the rota works. Generally speaking, today, now this minute, life is good.

enoughisenough

Post by enoughisenough » 18 Apr 2013 21:17

Good Luck with your plan MH, sounds good ( if challenging :shock: ) and where is the bit that says write beautiful prose? I found myself reading back on this thread today - to try and alleviate some of my own despondency and happened upon your description of following your dream - which is excellent - so dont forget to do something in your plan that makes the most of your talent!

Eie x
Yesterday I was clever, I wanted to change the world. Today I am wiser and am changing myself ~ Rumi

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 24 Apr 2013 23:03

Birds flyin high, you know how I feel
Sun in the sky, you know how I feel
Breeze driftin on by, you know how I feel
It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me
And I'm feelin good.

Fish in the sea, you know how I feel
River runnin free, you know how I feel
Blossoms on a tree, you know how I feel
It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me
And I'm feelin good.

Dragonfly out in the sun, you know what I mean
Butterflies all havin fun, you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done, that's what I mean
And this old world is a new world and a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine, you know how I feel
Scent of the pine, you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine and I know how I feel
It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
And I'm feelin good

I edited it a bit but you get the gist ;)? :D

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ » 16 Jun 2013 12:11

Saw a great quote today on Facebook of all places.

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever did."

Yep, rang true for me. All the time I doubted wether I could or even wanted to stay sober I stopped trying.
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 24 Jun 2013 12:03

I'm trying to feel really positive. I've been given a date for a new knee. They don't give knees away (I did suggest to the clinic nurse that the consultant thought "wow, what an attractive woman. How can I impress her? I'll give her a knee". The nurse just laughed - didn't deny - of course, that he'd thought 'wow, what an attractive woman....'). Of course, now all I hear are the horror stories.
Do I need a new knee?
It's not getting better.
Can I live without a new knee?
It's getting worse.
Can I delay this?
I have a window of opportunity this summer. 2 months when my work premises is sort-of closed, so I can rest new knees.
Gulp. Fear and trepidation.
And now I've been given a cancellation = earlier date.
Positive thoughts, positive thoughts.
Gulp.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 24 Jun 2013 12:38

Trepidations
1 I'll die. Which won't be too bad for me, as I'll be dead, but I'm not sure my girlies are ready for that.
2 it goes wrong, so I'm left worse off - completely paralysed f'r instance.
3 I'm already booked (as organist) for weddings in July and August. Will I be able to honour those commitments? Can I afford not to? If they find another organist, will they continue to employ him/her instead? How am I going to get to the church if I'm on crutches....being incredibly independent, I HATE asking for help, but I shall have to rely on other people to drive me from a to b.
4 the right knee op works. Everything is hunky dory, but during the recovery I will put stress on the left knee, so this time next year I shall have to go through all this again.....
Finances. Don't work, don't earn.
Oh dear. And this is meant to be the positive thread.
Well, let's be positive. If I can't drive, I can't sneak off secretly, to buy alcohol...

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 24 Jun 2013 12:51

Haha. Joop that's so cheered me up. I promise not to do any suspect sex acts which might threaten new knees.....

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ » 24 Jun 2013 15:08

Hey DD, what about the negatives of NOT getting the knee op.Surely as time goes on you risk losing that independence and therefore income anyway.
I say go for it. The knee that is, not what naughty joop was talking about!
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

Action

Post by Action » 21 Feb 2014 07:58

Thanks for that Gerard. I was flitting around the threads as I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment and can't seem to find my way. Reading the posts on this thread has cheered me up. I so want to be sober. :|
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 21 Feb 2014 08:30

Action! I so identify with that 'wandering around in yer head' feeling. It was what lead me to BE. Can I suggest: focus. Do it while the EAF is not wittering. Decide what YOU want then go for it. Leave ALL the baggage behind and I mean ALL. Capisce? Be selfish in your sobriety. That means putting it beyond any sense of obligation, any sense of fitting in.

Here is an admission. I am here for one reason only. Yes, I do truly feel for and care about my fellow travellers BUT I am primarily here for me. I need to beat this for me and if I can shine a light for somebody else then good but that is - ooh I sound horrible - If I ever feel that I have beaten it then I will stay in touch to offer the hope that others have inspired within me. That is all. I am here in the hope that I can shed a perspective on what ails us but I am here for me. Do thou likewise?

A couple of years ago I had a phone call from a local drug n alcohol support group. I said NO, I am OK, got a lot out of BE and it helps trying to help. They said? Trap! We can offload our problems by offering possible solutions but it is all about self-care, not anybody else, just self. I still try genuinely to help but Poo-poo. Learned different. Still want to help but 'be self-care in your sobriety'. Numero uno is ... number one.

So why did I feel the need to post this? :lol:

Action

Post by Action » 21 Feb 2014 09:31

Dave,

Thanks so much, I'm a wreck at the moment. I feel so disappointed in myself and I was doing so well. I try to be selfish and look after me but its very hard, and right now (sorry this probably sounds pathetic) everything seems quite crazy. I just can't understand why I've lost the drive, I still have the same feelings and desire to be AF. :cry:
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 21 Feb 2014 16:00

Action, I have pondered a bit. So easy to trot off a 'there, there' reply but you deserve better. So what words of wisdom? Not got any hun. Sorry. Just musings but serious ones. I think or feel that you are a lot further on the road to recovery than you might think. We can get trapped by 'days AF count'. I am in month 10 but, from a certain point of view, I am in my third year of recovery. The reality is that I am one drink away from Day One. Not gonna happen though.

Yes, day counting is good and you cannot gainsay it but it is all about attitude, feelings and how we deal with life. You and I can both be more sensible, more mature than anybody with a few years AF under their belt. Doubt it cos our lot are smart cookies but some do fumble and drop the ball. Don't get hung up on day count please. They are a marker of success for sure but is a day of resentment worth having? The quality of the day is what matters and you have had many of those. AF days in the bank? Too true, but broaden it. Days of living in the bank, surely. ;)?

Action

Post by Action » 21 Feb 2014 22:09

Hi Dave,
I just posted on the RTA thread exactly that I don't want to get caught up by counting...it's too painfully long and a relentless reminder of the fight. Strange times but thank you for your faith in me, it really helps to know I'm further ahead than I think. Right now I feel as though I haven't even got to the starting block! ;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge