Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
damson

Meditation

Post by damson » 14 Aug 2011 13:35

Hi I don't know if anyone is interested but there's a free 21 day meditation challenge starting tomorrow with the Chopra Centre. If you google them you'll find links, its really easy to sign up, I've done it before and am planning on starting again with this new one tomorrow.

I have to make myself meditate as there are always other things to be done which seem more important, but just a few minutes a day really helps me so I thought I'd pass the info on in case any of you fancy joining me.

Damson

damson

Re: meditation

Post by damson » 14 Aug 2011 15:57

Oh thats fab Unicorn, we can swop notes. I did sign up for the last challenge and it was very good, my only problem is that they tend to play background music and I have a hearing problem so sometimes I found the music off putting cos it was too loud. But its worth another go - I hope you enjoy it. ;)?

Damson

Maddie
First Sober Date: 16 May 2020

Post by Maddie » 14 Aug 2011 18:16

This sounds great Damson. I'm going to look into it. Thanks for sharing. <:)>

Maddie X
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

Marilyn Monroe

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Post by Boris Bike » 14 Aug 2011 18:23

I've signed up too. I have meditated in the past. Think I kept it up for a month or two and did quite enjoy it. I'm horribly anxious a lot of the time, so hope this will help.

So what happens? Do they email you an audio file each day?

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 14 Aug 2011 19:24

This sounds really good!

I'll have a good read up about it. I have to admit that meditation is something I enjoy reading about, but never quite get around to actually attempting, so perhaps a challenge will push me into action. Or perhaps I mean contemplative inaction...?

Mark
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

damson

Post by damson » 14 Aug 2011 21:04

Hi gang, yes you receive a new audio clip everyday. And they don't disappear so if for some reason you can't do one its there for you to catch up on. And of course you could keep them and do them over again I suppose.

There are quite a lot of free meditations if you explore the Chopra site, I listened to one this afternoon about changing! The gratitude one was on the list as well but I didn't have time :)

It will be interesting to see what we all think of tomorrows one - I wonder who will receive theirs first?

I hope you all enjoy the experience

Damson

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 15 Aug 2011 10:55

thanks damson. <:)>

sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

freedom1
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by freedom1 » 15 Aug 2011 12:57

Seems like the universe does not want me to do this. I tried to register yesterday and got stuck in one of those peculiar loops on the internet where the page kept refreshing over and over again and wouldn't register me. Now I try again today and it says "this package is no longer available"

Think I'll go away and meditate on why I shouldn't do the 21 day challenge...
"Let me respectfully remind you,
Life and death are of supreme importance.
Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive to awaken. . .
. . . awaken,
Take heed. Do not squander your life."

damson

Post by damson » 15 Aug 2011 14:49

Oh what a shame Freedom - you could try and access it thru Facebook cos it's on there too. Perhaps that's worth a go.

I just did the first one and apart from the introduction which seemed to go on for far too long I rather enjoyed it and the background sounds were fine, perhaps that's cos I've got a new computer. I'm going to stick with it and see how I feel.

Anyone else tried it yet?

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 15 Aug 2011 15:00

I think this is the Facebook site:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ChopraMeditation?sk=info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks so rewarding but I never got around to registering yesterday so I hope I can still do so. I think you have to go to the main site to register, but the FB page is interesting too and gives lots of postive feedback from participants on their Wall.

As it is, and as far as meditating to music goes, I don't suppose my afternoon spent tootling aimlessly around the far-flung and ethereal galaxies of the internet while listening to Tubular Bells really counts, does it? :roll:

Heigh ho, better get on!

Best wishes,
Mark
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

freedom1
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by freedom1 » 15 Aug 2011 17:05

It was trying to register through facebook which sent my browser into a continuous loop... as a last resort, I emailed the chopra centre using a link from their page.. only to have the email bounce ("delivery status notification(failure)"). Definitely seem to be getting a clear message here!
"Let me respectfully remind you,
Life and death are of supreme importance.
Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive to awaken. . .
. . . awaken,
Take heed. Do not squander your life."

Maginotwaltz
Last Drink Date: 15 Jun 2009

Post by Maginotwaltz » 15 Aug 2011 17:48

I tried the introductory meditation last night. I lay in bed trying to get the breathing right but was concentrating so hard on that, I found myself totally rigid rather than relaxed. Also, every time it said to think of all the things I have to be grateful for, i found myself answering back "yeah? like what?"
I will persevere though and try todays one once I've calmed down from the days stresses. Which may take a while.
You can't have a cupboard, if there ain't no walls.

Maginotwaltz
Last Drink Date: 15 Jun 2009

Post by Maginotwaltz » 15 Aug 2011 19:18

lol I know I can find stuff to be grateful for, SB, it's just that I couldn't think of anything at that point and felt like sitting up and arguing with the voice on the tape (yes I know it's not a tape)
I find myself not breathing at all when I'm trying to relax so I'm glad he keeps reminding me.
I will persevere though and look forward to getting it right and floating off. I'm just not a very good subject at the moment. Todays meditation is 18 minutes - I'm going to listen when I go to bed.
You can't have a cupboard, if there ain't no walls.

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 16 Aug 2011 01:10

Yes, I quite enjoyed it too.

I liked his voice and the music was calming. These sound like surface things, but I have listened to quite a few meditation audio files in the past and I can tell you that if you don't get along with the voice and music then it just winds you up.

I began to feel pretty relaxed (although the knot in my stomach didn't quite disappear. I felt it less, but as soon as it was over it was straight back. But early days and all that). Felt quite sleepy.

The questions we have to answer rather scared me. I answered them briefly without putting too much thought into it as I don't feel quite ready for that kind of self-examination yet.

Who am I? :?

At least I know exactly what I want to get out of the course: great improvement in my anxiety levels.

Definitely pleased to be signed up. Sorry that other folk have had problems in that regard.

damson

Post by damson » 16 Aug 2011 07:16

Hi Boris, sorry you were scared of the questions. I thought that we weren't looking for answers but merely planting the seed was my understanding of what he was saying.

Take what you want from the meditations if you just want to learn to relax then don't worry too much about anything else. Hopefully by the end of the challenge we'll find it easier to just be calm and still. That's what I'm hoping for -the big stuff can wait. I think the whole idea of a 21day challenge is that this is supposed to be how long it takes to develop a habit.

I can think of lots worse habits than meditating every day and my prob has been that altho I've done meditation courses in the past I haven't stuck with them.

Let's see what day 2 brings. I hope your anxiety lessens a bit today <:)>

damson

smw
Last Drink Date: 18 Oct 2009

Post by smw » 16 Aug 2011 12:15

I'm kind of a restless person by nature, I find it a bit hard to get into meditation, though I can ok if I persist with it (been told it's something best to do frequently, like daily). I sometimes find things like knitting and cross stitch a meditative kind of activity. Walking even.

A lot of people have a mental image they use that they find relaxing. I like thunderstorms for some reason, or thinking about being on a beach somewhere. I've only been to one Reiki treatment in my life, but I like the free 'Reiki attunement' videos on YouTube, I don't know if maybe it's just the power of suggestion but they help me feel more relaxed, visualizing the colours and detensing the muscles, etc.

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 16 Aug 2011 16:33

Yes, daily practice definitely helps. When I went through a meditation phase before I built up to a 50 minute meditation. No supporting audio, just me on a chair in silence (or what passes for silence in London). I wasn't in a state of bliss or anything and there were the usual struggles to retain focus but I was surprised how quickly the time went (I had a beeping timer set).

Damson, I hadn't intended to cause concern: when I said I found the "Who Am I?" question scary I don't mean that my anxiety levels suddenly shot up or anything horrible like that. I just thought "Gosh, I have no idea!" Looks like this whole week is going to concentrate on that question so it's something to work at and, who knows, perhaps I will have some useful answers at the end. If I don't, I won't worry about that.

damson

Post by damson » 16 Aug 2011 20:06

I feel the same Boris, if something jumps out at me then great, but I'm not going to waste too much time pondering the imponderables!

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 16 Aug 2011 23:39

It is very difficult. I doubt I've ever gone a whole minute focused on my breath. Thoughts always pop in there. They say not to get angry with yourself, it's the same for pretty much everyone, especially at the start. They always say "gently return your focus to the breath". So don't get frustrated that it happens. It's quite normal. Just return focus as soon as you realise you've gone off into other thoughts and let that be an end to it... until the next thought inevitably pops up.

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 17 Aug 2011 03:22

Just listened to DAY 2. I'd argue that these aren't really meditations. Or, if they are, they are very atypical meditations.

The usual meditation is to focus on one thing, usually your breath. Doesn't have to be the breath, it could be an image you hold in your mind, but one image alone: I used to think of a golden Buddha figurine or a blue gem.

With Day 2 of Chopra there were questions and invitations to think of various images: the winding corridor, the elevator and being on top of the tall building. That way your mind is always on the move.

There are other sorts of meditation. One is loving kindness, where you begin by thinking loving thoughts about those you already love but progress over time to feeling love for your worst enemy. There's also the body scan where you focus on different parts of your body and sequentially relax them one part at a time.

I'm certainly not complaining in any way, when I argue (and perhaps wrongly) that Chopra isn't a meditation. It's enjoyable to be given the images to think of and is probably easier to feel calm when guided to think of different things. It is easier to follow such directions than doing the tricky business of trying to focus on one entity for a period of time. I think I will definitely get a lot (or something) out of following the course and still very happy to be aboard.

I haven't listened to these so can't speak of quality but if you fancy the body scan there's a couple here:

http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/?search=body+scan

And nor have I listened to these loving kindness ones:

http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/?searc ... g+kindness

No need to answer if it's too personal but what did people say out loud when invited to tell the world your answer to "who am I?"

I weakly said "autodidact", which is someone who teaches themselves. It sounded a lot more positive than a great many other alternatives I considered! :D