Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2020

Re: meditation

Post by Boris Bike » 11 Dec 2012 01:23

Yes, I certainly can't blame time either.

I often notice pockets of time and think "I could meditate here" but I end up going to some website or other to fill the gap. I shall try not to do that now!

sharoni73

Post by sharoni73 » 11 Dec 2012 03:05

hi i downloaded the chopra 21 day challenge and never got round to it. Now i can't access it. I bought a book on mindfulness - Mindfulness a pratical guide to peace in a frantic world by Prof Mark Williams and have been reading it. When at school/college today we were discussing mindfulness as a non drug treatment if bipolar affective disorder.. That makes it quite powerful in my eyes. The best part for me is the book i have is not religious!! I will let you know how i get on with it as i go x

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 11 Dec 2012 17:56

Mountainhare wrote:I have found if I concentrate on a fixed point ie a rivet on the running machine or some other specific point in front of me, (the girl in the tight pants :D )
Using a woman's bum as a meditation object would open you up to what Buddhists call "defilements". ;)

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 11 Dec 2012 17:57

I have done a couple of ten minute quick meditations today. Feeling the benefit, at least during and a little after. But I think I will step up to at least 15 as ten is very short.

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 12 Dec 2012 19:21

Yes, I won't be following all of Buddhism by any means. They talk of different planes of existence into which you can be reincarnated. Like you, that's not something I will ever believe in.

I don't even believe in Nirvana which is what the practice is supposed to ultimately lead you to. Basically, if it existed, I think there would be a few people around to talk about it. For me it's an ideal. You can strive for it but you will never reach it, like you will never have the perfect painting or the perfect song.

I find I'm struggling at the moment. You expect meditation and mindfulness to give you patience and a love towards all things. So why is it my mother is driving me absolutely CRAZY these last two days!? I am not feeling much love towards her right now...

Boris Bike

Post by Boris Bike » 13 Dec 2012 17:40

Thanks Hare. I think you are quite right and I shall keep practicing. ;)?

1sunworshipper

Post by 1sunworshipper » 14 Dec 2012 22:43

Has anyone done Ashtanga Yoga? It's been recommended to me and I'm considering joining a class in the New Year but first going to get hold of a book on it to explore if it will be something I could get into and benefit from.
AF2012 #21 - challenge successfully completed
AF2013 #12 - challenge successfully completed
AF2014 #12 - 11 and a bit months
nothing changes if nothing changes

MissBlue

Post by MissBlue » 04 Jan 2013 18:46

Hi Sun1 . I agree with GIAG that if you are new to yoga that learning the basics through Hatha yoga will help prevent injuries and give you the basic postures. You can check out ashtanga yoga on youtube. Good luck and I hope you get the yoga bug like me, on and off for the last 20 years :D

freedom1
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by freedom1 » 14 Jan 2013 07:17

Mountain hare.. Many thanks for your journal. A really nicely written piece which seems to portray the atmosphere well (not that I have been there). I enjoyed reading it and inspired to go there myself.

Thank you
"Let me respectfully remind you,
Life and death are of supreme importance.
Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive to awaken. . .
. . . awaken,
Take heed. Do not squander your life."

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 14 Jan 2013 07:31

Morning MH. I'm reminded of when I started learning the piano.

I was 7, and learning all sorts of other stuff (reading, riting, rithmetic), so practising came naturally. It was what we did as we grew up. We practised times tables, we practised writing and some of us practised piano.

As a single parent trying to earn enough money to fund an abhorrent habit (that alcohol. Sigh), I've done all sorts of things to earn a few pennies - including teaching piano. Adults give up very quickly because they don't have the time, the staying power, the focus -to practise.

As we grow up, we learn the 'instant gratification' route. If we can't do 'it' (whatever 'it' is) straightaway, we give up. I admire your focus, your stick ability. Nothing worth having comes easily (usually!). And I have to remind myself, practise makes perfect. It doesn't, but new skills need practise.

Keep practising. It will become easier.
be selfish in your sobriety.

london bloke

Post by london bloke » 14 Jan 2013 13:33

Hi MH - thanks for shering your journal.

I predict you will get into a meditation habit; your understanding of the process and your expecattions seem spot on. I loved this point you made in your journal -

'Our past is not our future, nor is it our present, it is gone. From now on I will live in the present and let go of any negative emotion'

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be free from suffering.
Alcohol = Anxiety: I have suffered for years.
Sobriety = Freedom: I have tasted freedom, and I want it more.

Cate
Last Drink Date: 26 Dec 2012

Post by Cate » 17 Jan 2013 10:17

Hello everyone,

Firstly MH - Thanks for sharing your blog. I loved reading it and you portrayed it so well. You took me there with you for a moment.

I haven´t been doing very well on the meditation front ( bet that was easy to guess) but I´m doing pretty ok on the being mindful and Qi Gong which helps somewhat.

Keep practising. Yes thats what we have to do.

xx
“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”
― Lao Tzu

MissBlue

Post by MissBlue » 17 Jan 2013 11:09

Mountainhare wrote:

I've had no thoughts or cravings since Friday, so something must be working!

Boomshanka 8-)

MH
(::) \:)/ (::) Great to read how you are doing :D . There are sound tracks for meditation and relaxation on youtube which can help drown out background noises and help create the mood. I also find lighting a joss stick helps but realise that is not for everyone. Did you buy one of the small firm cushions to raise your bottom whilst sitting? I got one and it has made an improvement to my comfort. Wishing you continued success on your AF journey <:)> .

Cate
Last Drink Date: 26 Dec 2012

Post by Cate » 18 Jan 2013 11:10

Gerard. Sorry to hear you´re having problems sleeping. Goodness I moan if I wake up and can´t get back to sleep straight away.

Paula - It´s great isn´t it. The last teacher I had was great. I loved her classes. I really am enjoying the Qi Gong. So calming. I´ve been very lazy these last few days though. My head isn´t in the right place.

MH - I´m not sure what my husband thinks about the incense smell. He just has to put up with it. LOL It´s part of the package for me.
I´ve downloaded a sample of the book your reading to have a look at.

Everyone. <:)>
“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”
― Lao Tzu

london bloke

Post by london bloke » 19 Jan 2013 13:08

Fantastic MH - sounds like your retreat is really helping you build a better, mindful life.
Alcohol = Anxiety: I have suffered for years.
Sobriety = Freedom: I have tasted freedom, and I want it more.

grendeldave

Post by grendeldave » 19 Jan 2013 13:20

Well MH I don't know if that was deep or not but I really relate to it. I call it living in the now. I haven't ever really got into meditation except in my teen years when I tried out a few Raja Yoga exercises and tbh they have sort of stuck now and again. I find there is something peaceful about just immersing myself in the moment. I did a lot of that back in June/July when I spent a lot of time digging and landscaping my garden. At first my brain raced with thoughts. The sounds of distant traffic, birds twittering away, the laughter of the children down the road. Notice, notice, notice. I stopped thinking about what I was going to do later, worry this, worry that. Then sometimes the noticing stopped and .... I just was. Me in a total world of ...... aagh. No words! Just being in it. No thoughts, just ... aagh again! Oneness. The perfect moment. When it happens it is something to be treasured.
Last edited by grendeldave on 19 Jan 2013 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Desire is an illusion unless it is a streetcar. Don't get run over.

#88 - 2013 Challenge

grendeldave

Post by grendeldave » 19 Jan 2013 19:19

Yes MH, my point actually but I did not put it across at all well. What I do is meditation. Oneness. Because I am a God botherer it has a religious connotation for me but I do not believe that is an essential. It is there for everybody, faith or not. It gives our brains a rest and .... well it feels good! That's enough for me. ;)?
Desire is an illusion unless it is a streetcar. Don't get run over.

#88 - 2013 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 22 Jan 2013 21:15

Just passing through here briefly, and wanted to say I loved that post, Dave, about landscaping and leaving "noticing" behind. Great stuff ;)?

I hope you had a great time in the Peaks with your mates, MH :D

This is a thread I should read more thoroughly, more often. There's some nice (and very interesting) stuff being said (::)
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 23 Jan 2013 09:35

Thanks, MH - I'll definitely start reading here more regularly.

I'm glad you had a good walk ;)?
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

Hereagain
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by Hereagain » 30 Jan 2013 08:05

Wonderfully inspiring post MH ;)?

I have also started to meditate and have downloaded some podcasts which I have been listening to before I go to sleep (don t have time in the mornings with a teenage son to get to school before I head off to work :roll: ). I am definitely more relaxed and mindful due to them.

I, like you, have also changed my mindset and consciously pull myself up when my mind starts racing over past perceived failures and 'what if s' of the future. It takes practise, as you say but it is very liberating to live in the present. After all, it really is all any of us have whatever we trick ourselves in to believing. I ve posted on here before about several things happening in my life at the moment including losing a friend to a brain haemorrhage just before Christmas, a family member being diagnosed with motor neurone disease and my lovely Dad coping with terminal cancer. All these things happening so close together have really given me the wake up call that life is to be lived now and whatever I have believed in the past there are many, many things that happen in life which we have no control over. I do believe that in a strange way dealing with these things happening has given me the strength to know I want an AF life and that is definitely one aspect of my life that I do have control over.

Would be really interested to hear how you find the course as Buddhism is something I am finding more and more of interest after reading a few books on the subject. To me, it makes a lot of sense.

Happy days to you too :)
Now that I know better I do better