Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
George

Re: meditation

Post by George » 30 Jan 2013 09:04

Good on you, MH. You sound really positive, just the business,eh ;)? ;)? ;)?
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Cate
Last Drink Date: 26 Dec 2012

Post by Cate » 31 Jan 2013 12:17

Inspirational post MH.

I keep trying to follow your example. Now things are calming down in my family maybe I´ll get round to it.

Dave - yep " the perfect moment when it happens is something to treasure " for sure.

Hope to be around here more.

<:)> to all
“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”
― Lao Tzu

london bloke

Post by london bloke » 31 Jan 2013 22:54

Thanks for the progress report MH - and boy does that sound like progress!
Practising mindfulness each morning make a lot of sense - but not many manage to do it - so feel proud.

And hereagain - you sound like you are also making good progress.

Let's face it, people drink (or do other behaviours) to 'solve' a problem like anxiety. But there are far better ways to deal with anxiety - and mediation is far far better.

Well done - even to those of us who do some meditation !
Alcohol = Anxiety: I have suffered for years.
Sobriety = Freedom: I have tasted freedom, and I want it more.

freedom1
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by freedom1 » 09 Feb 2013 18:41

Just to report in.. I'm starting to really enjoy my daily meditation.

I went to a meditation lunch at our local buddist centre cafe earlier this week... good, though the Buddist centre itself somehow didn't seem simple enough for my taste.. all those Buddhas! (Reminded me of a catholic church, whereas I veer towards the other end.. more quaker simplicity .. in my original tradition). I think earlier stuff I've done has been more along the insight/Vipassana lines. As well as some more western /Christian centred contemplation & meditation with my spritual mentor, at the Bleddfa retreat centre in mid Wales.

Our local centre near Ulverston is the main centre for the Kadampa tradition.

Any quick links to good sites describing the different traditions in Buddhism?

Anyway.. back to meditation.. I have found Tara Brach's great site with all her dharma talks and meditations, free to listen to as MP3 talks. so I have been dipping in to those.

Seems to help enormously in feeling calm and spacious...just what I need for my sober life.

Namaste, fellow meditators
480417_389544357805498_1165117392_n.jpg
480417_389544357805498_1165117392_n.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
"Let me respectfully remind you,
Life and death are of supreme importance.
Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive to awaken. . .
. . . awaken,
Take heed. Do not squander your life."

Hereagain

Post by Hereagain » 10 Feb 2013 09:17

Freedom - I fell asleep listening to Tara Brach last night and slept like a baby! ;)?
Now that I know better I do better

freedom1

Post by freedom1 » 10 Feb 2013 09:24

I do that too... And, bliss, there are several years of weekly talks on there, so lots of evening listens to come... ;)? ;)?
. . . awaken,

neiladvani89

Post by neiladvani89 » 18 Feb 2013 09:10

Meditation often involves an internal effort to self-regulate the mind in some way. Meditation can help clear the mind and ease many health issues, such as high blood pressure, depression, and anxiety to name a few .

breathing techniques

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter » 18 Feb 2013 14:48

Just heard the Chopra Center's next meditation challenge starts on 11th March - http://www.chopracentermeditation.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to register... I've signed up :D
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

Cate

Post by Cate » 19 Feb 2013 10:34

Hi everyone,
Looks like some of us have really got it going now.

Carol - Lovely to read how good it´s making you feel.

MH - I can see how much you´re getting into this now. Good for you. Back again in March eh. Great.

Oldenough - Thanks for the link. I haven´t received a mail from them this time. I didn´t see the last one through. I didn´t really enjoy it but I liked the previous one. I´ll have a look at this too.

I´ve found QiGong so helpful in my meditation practise. I do the active QiGong ( still trying to find the one I´ll stay with ) and a meditation too. I find I am being more mindful without even thinking about it and feel much more balanced and quieter in the mind.
Yep. I´m enjoying it.

Whatever works is the best thing for us as they say.

xx
― Lao Tzu

Cate

Post by Cate » 21 Feb 2013 09:52

Hi everyone,
It does look interesting Gerard. Have you signed up ?

I signed up for the Chopra meditation and I´m still doing my stuff so I thought it would be too much to fit in BUT I´d love to hear how it goes.

xx
― Lao Tzu

freedom1

Post by freedom1 » 21 Feb 2013 17:09

Just been reading a little about psychoneuro immunology, or PIN, for short. Theway our thoughts affect our immune system. Some great stuff emerging about the benefits of meditation.. Here's a brief summary by Donna Jackson Nakazawa:

"For instance, when Tibetan Buddhist monks practice compassion, or loving kindness, meditation — a meditative technique in which we send loving thoughts to those we love, those we don’t know well, and even those we feel animosity toward – they generate intense gamma waves in their brains. These gamma waves are associated with higher states of mind in which we eliminate all thoughts of fear, worry, pain. The most intense activity lights up the left prefrontal cortex of their brains, just behind the left side of the forehead – an area associated with joy, happiness and positive thoughts.

Until now, we’ve assumed that the biggest pay-off of such a brain-body practice is a better and happier state of mind in the face of life’s trials. What we haven’t understood is that firing up specific areas of the brain through meditation and other newly recognized approaches not only changes our thought patterns, it sets in motion a cascade effect, sending chemical molecules and messengers throughout the body that dramatically impact the action of every cell, system and organ – and the course of our well-being and health.

In fact, the more we engage in these specific practices, the more new neural networks we create, allowing us to reset our brain. The more we practice activating states of joy and well-being the more our brain settles on the latter as our default setting, protecting our cells and immunity, helping us to live life fully.

Likewise, fear and suffering in the face of stressful life events – including our emotions about illness – can be as damaging to the immune system as a virus or toxic chemical hit, and can do similar long-term damage."
. . . awaken,

rurhlogas

Post by rurhlogas » 25 Feb 2013 11:47

Meditation is very helpful to you if you do it regulary. If you are beginner then you join some meditation course or do meditation under some meditator those give you the proper guide and instruction on how to do meditation. Meditation helps us to get relief from stress, helps to avoid drug addiction, keep our mind refresh and active, it help to get connected to spiritual power and many more benefits that are count less or endless

freedom1

Post by freedom1 » 03 Mar 2013 20:38

Just had this email from the Tara Brach facebook list.. Could be of interest to people on here

The Self Acceptance Project
link to website: http://live.soundstrue.com/selfacceptance/

Register now for the Self-Acceptance Project: Finding Our Sense of Fundamental Worthiness - A FREE 12-week Video Event Series, beginning Monday, March 4, 2013. That's TOMORROW from SoundsTrue.com.

In this FREE online video event series, each week Tami Simon will speak with two contemporary luminaries in the fields of spirituality, psychology, and creativity. Together they will explore the questions around self-acceptance—and investigate how we can overcome the difficulties of embracing who we are. Where do our self-critical voices come from? Can we silence them, or is there a better way to deal with them? Can we be motivated to change and excel while still accepting ourselves as we are? Why is it often so much easier to feel compassion and forgiveness towards others than towards ourselves?

http://live.soundstrue.com/selfacceptance/
. . . awaken,

Cate

Post by Cate » 11 Mar 2013 11:39

Hi everyone. <:)>
I haven´t been in a very meditative frame of mind recently although I have done a little QiGong.
Hope you´re all well and happy.

<:)>
― Lao Tzu

freedom1

Post by freedom1 » 11 Mar 2013 13:00

Have you listened to the chopra day 1, Cate? It starts today. I haven't been doing much either, but determined to follow the 21 day challenge and get back into it.
. . . awaken,

Oldenough2knowbetter
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2011

Post by Oldenough2knowbetter » 11 Mar 2013 20:24

Freedom1 I started that today... Found it okay but not as engaging as some of the others. Am hoping it will get better.

Xx
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." [Christopher Robin to Pooh]

damson

Post by damson » 02 May 2013 07:54

Morning all, just wanted to say that I've started an 8 week mindfulness programme from a book by mark Williams and Danny penman, it includes a cd of mindful meditations, I've had the book for a little while but not done the practice properly. Week one involves 2 short meditations a day, plus being mindful abut a routine activity such as brushing your teeth and a habit releaser - something small like sitting in a different chair. It's quite challenging :)

Like you MH i am finding the meditation very helpful at bringing calm to my day and thanks for the link to the apps, I've downloaded a timer, although at the moment I prefer listening to guided meditations, but no doubt it'll come in useful.

Keep at it folks, it's fascinating hearing about everyone's experiences ;)?

damson

Post by damson » 02 May 2013 13:54

Hi Gerard, the book says choose your own times so don't worry about the morning! This first one is only 8 minutes long, perhaps you could find time at lunchtime or do it as soon as you get home and then later in the evening? I will let you know how it goes - I'm only half way thru week one at the moment and I am enjoying it.

Would this bank holiday weekend be a good time to start? Good luck with it ;)?

Geordietrout

Post by Geordietrout » 21 May 2013 15:33

Hope you succeed in staying sober during your holiday mountainhare.
I too am working towards a family holiday later this year and want to be poison free.
I have been meditating for a while now and it has helped me through some difficult times, many caused by booze.
I have recently started Buddhist practise which requires, amongst other things, refraining from intoxicants. This is proving to be the most difficult and the reason I am here.

Kind thoughts to everyone struggling with this.

freedom1

Post by freedom1 » 10 Jun 2013 10:27

Hi all

Just to say that there's a new 15 day meditation programme from the chopra centre, via the mentors channel, starting today.

The link to the start page (join button at the top) is http://www.mentorschannel.com/Bestselle ... BookId=177
. . . awaken,