Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Meditation

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
AmyJean

Re: Meditation

Post by AmyJean » 13 Apr 2015 18:35

Hi MH - I wish you well with AA. I have resisted so far as I don't like the sound of having to talk with others about alcohol issues every day or however often you have to go. But I know it has been life-saving for many many people.
I thought I would report on my counselling experience today. I arrived at 9.25 for my 9.30 appointment. The counsellor arrived at 9.50. Got stuck in traffic. It was the first time I'd met him. He hadn't even looked at my notes. So I wonder why I spent an hour at an initial assessment meeting 11 weeks ago. I had to go through the whole painful story again about all my alcohol problems. I know I would have had to do this anyway but he at least might have shown enough interest in my case to have read my notes!! It is enough to drive me to drink!
Anyway, it has taken so long to get appointments that I may as well persevere for a while at least. I'm not paying for it so I don't feel I can complain or demand anything. And he was a pleasant enough man although I have my doubts that he knows a lot about alcohol problems. Like my previous counsellor - I think he has read it all in a book or at counselling training.
I hope you have more success with AA. At least people there have direct experience of alcohol problems which I think is good.
Good wishes and I hope you have had a good day. Amy

AnotherHannah

Post by AnotherHannah » 19 Apr 2015 22:37

Hi everyone! This Samye Ling place sounds amazing, and it isn't too far from me. If only I had the money to go for a weekend, I think it's just what I'd need!

My mum runs a Comparative Religion class in the U3A and as a part of that has visited Monasteries a few times. Sadly the visits have never coincided with me being down her way (I'm 30 odd years too young for U3A, but they make an exception for me here and there!).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip!

AnotherHannah

Post by AnotherHannah » 20 Apr 2015 10:37

That sounds lovely, Mountainhare. :D

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean » 20 Apr 2015 18:56

Was going to check out how you got on at Samye Ling MH. I agree that being in the countryside - especially if the weather is good - is very therapeutic. I just sat by the river sometimes when I was there. I did a couple of local walks over the weekend. I decided on a walk rather than a meditation day at Samye Dzong yesterday. It was good to get out in the fresh air and climb a hill.
Samye Ling is very reasonably priced for accommodation and food Hannah. Hope you are getting on well. I'm losing count of my sober days now which is a good sign. I've stopped counting. But getting close to 100 days this time round.
Peace and love! Amy

AnotherHannah

Post by AnotherHannah » 20 Apr 2015 20:06

I'm so pleased to hear that Amy, well done! I'm not doing great but I'm not giving up so that's something!

I will look into Samye Ling. It sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy and benefit from.

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man » 21 Apr 2015 19:14

Mountainhare wrote:Anotherhannah, some of the courses at Samye Ling are free and if you live close enough you could travel.

I actually never went to the meditation course. I kept heading north and wild camped in the Highlands and the Isle of Mull. Riding the bike through amazing scenery in glorious weather and wild camping, looking at the stars and just being in nature was probably the best meditation experience ever.

Peace to all.
Hi pal - I am impressed and a bit jealous.

Good on you. ;)?
"Alcohol is the thief of time"
Steve

AmyJean

Post by AmyJean » 23 May 2015 20:37

Great to hear that you are doing well MH and that you are meditating and getting help. You sound so much better than a few weeks ago. I haven't been meditating. But I haven't been drinking either. So that's all good. It has been 4 months for me now and I feel mentally stronger.
Peace and love! Amy

Orla

Post by Orla » 28 Sep 2015 22:56

Hi. I have just come across this thread and am so pleased. I have just come back from a retreat at Taraloka and planning to join my local Triratna bhuddist centre this weekend. I don't yet know much about bhuddism but I understand the benefits of meditation and I am convinced that it can help me live in the present and remember that I have a choice in every moment. Day 8 AF and feeling positive/optimistic.
X

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 25 Nov 2015 05:32

bump

DoryGirl
Last Drink Date: 29 Oct 2018
First Sober Date: 30 Oct 2018

Post by DoryGirl » 25 Nov 2015 09:19

Thanks Pickles.

I'm going to try and find some time each day again to meditate. I always feel so much calmer and in control when I do it. If anyone's interested in giving it a whirl, the more you practice it in calmer moments the more you can use effectively at times of stress such as wine o'clock!

Love
DoryGirl
xxx
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

DoryGirl

Post by DoryGirl » 29 Nov 2015 12:27

Morning Mountainhare

This is really useful. I don't use incense although I like the sound of that so might give it a try.

For anyone first starting with meditation, I used to find it easier to put a quiet piece of meditation or piano music on my iphone just to block out the ambient noise - traffic, dogs, kids etc. outside. I guess it depends how noisy the environment is where you live. Once i'd been doing it a short while I was able to concentrate without the music but I found it useful in the beginning.

If you're used to living by a clock and panicking about being late for something as I am, it might help the first few times to set an alarm. I don't mean a foghorn stylie thing but I used to use the harp sound on my iPhone to gently tell me when I'd been there for 5, 10, 15 minutes… however long I wanted to set it for. I started with short periods and built up. That way you can focus on the meditation rather than wondering how long you've been doing it, how long you've got left and where you're meant to be next. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll be calm enough in your meditation not to need that back up.

Just a few thoughts!

Love
DoryGirl
xxx

DoryGirl

Post by DoryGirl » 29 Nov 2015 22:42

Hey MH

I've only done meditation while sitting down but I'd be interested in maybe doing it while moving. I'm just about to start running again this week. How do you meditate while running? I assume this is an eyes open meditation?! :o

Love
DoryGirl
xxx

DoryGirl

Post by DoryGirl » 30 Nov 2015 22:21

Thanks MH. I'm definitely guilty of not living in the moment. My head is one big planning diary!!! I'm going to do my best this week to plan a little less and live a little more.

Beautifully written piece by the way. I could really feel what you were sensing.

Love
DoryGirl
xxx

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » 01 Jan 2016 22:36

I did a 21 day meditation with Deepak Chopra that comes available for free online every now and then. It really helped in that it gave you a mantra and the meaning of the mantra then left you with 20 minutes of pleasant music to meditate on your own. I need to get back to meditating starting today.
It begins in chilhood as a deep insecurity and the alcohol itself is the medicine to that insecurity. Without it most alcoholics are easily identifiable because they simply don't know how to operate.

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » 02 Jan 2016 22:29

Yay I love it PJ Girl. They offer it for free so subscribe and they will send you an email when the free sessions come up!
PyjamaGirl wrote:O
Ah, don't you just love the new year...we all have hope and actually believe we can give up drinking and lose weight and learn a new language and walk at least 5 miles a day. It's so human isn't it, and very sweet.
It is so true I am going to fly a helicopter, shoot a gun at some inanimate object and perform brain surgery too! Well maybe just the first two....and I'll just ride in the helicopter. Already dumbing down my goals. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It begins in chilhood as a deep insecurity and the alcohol itself is the medicine to that insecurity. Without it most alcoholics are easily identifiable because they simply don't know how to operate.

DoryGirl

Post by DoryGirl » 10 Jan 2016 22:41

Is it contrary to the idea of meditation to schedule it on your "to do list"?

I keep not putting time aside to do it. I really should prioritise it as I love it and know both my mind and body benefit from it.

I am going to redouble my efforts and try to meditate more this month as a starter.

Thanks for the kick up the backside MH!

Love
DoryGirl
xxx

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 24 Jan 2016 20:43

Hey, Mountainhare, friend. Thanks for that. I still sometimes get anxiety in crowded and confined spaces, maybe should concentrate on meditation more. Thanks for sharing so much with us, it is so helpful ;)?

<:)>
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 24 Jan 2016 20:52

I was wondering about sensory relaxation aids too. PJG mentions candles and incense, which is a great relaxation aid once you get the right scent. I have a little hand sized lavender sac that i use when studying, simple but i quite like having it to squeeze and smell when thinking :)
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

chick dip
Last Drink Date: 18 Sep 2012

Post by chick dip » 03 Jun 2016 15:14

Iam about to embark on meditation...I seriously need to change my mindset...I need to trying being instead of doing....have to admit I think this " top drawer " is so full its not going to be easy :roll:
AF May 2010-Sept 2012...thanks to this site...

Onward and upward again

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 03 Jun 2016 15:28

MH, so engrossed was I reading about meditation, practising breathing in and out , going with the flow, I have gone and burnt the buggery out of chilly I had on hob for our supper! Feel bit stressed now and bloody hungry to boot! :o
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.