Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Weird Dreams

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

dreams . . . .

Post by Bela » 23 Oct 2010 15:55

What does that dream mean? Do you ever dream about drinking?
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

T4ACDAN
Last Drink Date: 30 Dec 2013

Re: dreams . . . .

Post by T4ACDAN » 11 Jan 2011 21:51

Saw this thread collecting dust, and thought may have some use as I'm seeing a few people mention dreams. Hope people don't mind me bumping this thread.

Had a dream the other night that I had started drinking, was really strange. Quite a relief when I woke up, and realised I was dreaming. I've had the same thing happen in the past when I've quit smoking (dream that I've started up again)

Anyone else had this? :?
Time for a change!

Edmund0Dantes

Post by Edmund0Dantes » 11 Jan 2011 22:12

Quite often have dreams where i'm drinking 1/2 bottle wine from the bottle. Quite scary in fact :cry:

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 11 Jan 2011 22:17

I dreamt last night that I had a glass of champagne......cant remember another thing tho...but felt I could actually taste it when I woke this morning!!!!
At a party on Sat night a glass of champers was thrust in my hand on arrival..not offerred...thrust!...I (very) promptly handed it over to my daughter before it made its way, thrustingly, to my lips
Connected???!!!
Sandy

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 12 Jan 2011 00:06

I dream about drinking quite often. I usually get distressed either in the dream or after I wake up (but before I've realised it's a dream).

One thing I have noticed since being abstinent is that my dreams are much more varied in subject matter than they used to be. They are usually unpleasant (that is nothing new), but the situations that I'm in (in the dream) vary in place, scenery and people. Most recently I dreamed that I was in a quarried out road with a small river in the middle of it and the walls were very high either side of the road/river. I realised that a tidal wave was coming at me from behind and I couldn't avoid it. There was water also starting to spill over the tops of the walls of the road. I thought my best bet was to get into the river and be swept away because I wouldn't survive if the water landed on top of me. But I got swept straight at a rock which I knew would kill me. I woke up before I hit the rock (not surprisingly).
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

T4ACDAN
Last Drink Date: 30 Dec 2013

Post by T4ACDAN » 12 Jan 2011 12:20

No problem cowboy :) Seems a few of us have been dreaming about drinking. My guess is its the minds way of dealing with the sudden lack of drinking?? I'm no expert.
smudge wrote:I dream about drinking quite often. I usually get distressed either in the dream or after I wake up (but before I've realised it's a dream).
That's pretty much exactly what's been happening to me lately.
Time for a change!

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 12 Jan 2011 15:27

Just had another thought on this dreaming malarkey!
When i was drinking I had a recurring dream that i was in a car, the driver.
Not sure of the make or anything but in some dreams i could'nt control it no matter how hard I tried.
sometimes I only had small bumps or slides into other cars, others it was like i could'nt stop the car even with braking and i was heading towards a cliff edge like in the cartoons.
in all the dreams my control over the car was gone no matter how hard I tried.
Honestly since stopping drinking I have not dreamt of this once.
Now it does not take a genius...........

notorious

Post by notorious » 15 Jan 2011 09:50

Not so much now, but a few months back (maybe less) I used to have frequent 'drinking dreams'. Some more real than others.

Always centring around my secret morning vodka sessions, which became quite common when working from home after my last abstinence stab culminating in the spectacular unravel of last year.

I would often wake confused, not entirely sure whether or not it had actually happened (when I was drinking I'd often have a mid-morning 'nap' (or pass out more accurately) and wake around lunch time in a similar state of confusion). It was the guilt that really gets me, though. Once the phatom hangover has cleared after a few moments with the realisation it wasn't real and didn't happen, I was still left with a residual guilty, worthless feeling as if I actually had. Odd. Sometimes I'd have to check the fridge to make sure there wasn't really another 1l bottle in there like there used to be (I'd plan ahead, see. I soon realised there was nothing worse than running out after finishing the dregs of last night's and it being to early to buy some more from the corner shop for fear of what it might 'look like' to others).

Nowadays when they happen I just kind of take it as a reminder of what I used to be doing and the absolute absurdity of the situation with my convincing myself it was OK to wake at 7.00AM (having passed out the night before) and then carry on with the hard stuff (the first couple diluted with good orange juice or cranberry as the cornerstone of a nutritious breakfast or detoxing agent) before charging through work stuff on my laptop like an express train and then kind of recklessly ploughing blindly through the afternoon.
I’m not a great believer in dreams being any sort of ‘premonition’ or having any kind of prophetic meaning as such, more the brain accessing otherwise unconscious information and simply displaying it in a more abstract way.

As we’re not doing anything other than sleeping, the mind then tries to make sense of it in an unconscious or semi-conscious state of awareness. Like when you suddenly dream about that person or place you haven’t seen or thought about for years and years. Something somewhere triggered a dormant memory some hours previously and you didn’t consciously notice because the brain deemed it unimportant. Just like the vivid drinking dreams. Or maybe there is still a latent guilt or fear attached which I’ve simply pushed farther back away from lucid thought. Anything apparently insignificant that goes consciously unnoticed could bring those thoughts back to the fore and are manifested in dreams. When awake, they’re so acutely and inextricably linked with real and significant events of recent times the brain then brings out the ‘guilt’ by association. Kind of like a reflex.

I don’t know any of this, obviously, just the garbled theorising of a sober alcoholic who likes thinking about stuff. It’s kind of fun to ponder these things though!

Anyway the dreams serve to remind me I'm doing alright now. Sort of.

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 15 Jan 2011 14:55

notorious wrote:It was the guilt that really gets me, though. Once the phatom hangover has cleared after a few moments with the realisation it wasn't real and didn't happen, I was still left with a residual guilty, worthless feeling as if I actually had. Odd. Sometimes I'd have to check the fridge to make sure there wasn't really another 1l bottle in there like there used to be
I sometimes get the guilt after drinking dreams as well. And I would have to convince myself it wasn't real by looking for empty bottles and glasses, checking the fridge, and sniffing in every room for the tell-tale stale odour. Thankfully I now seem able to distinguish dreams from reality a little better than I used to in a hungover state, so the guilt is less of a problem than it was.
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz » 26 Jan 2011 09:16

Space,

I thought I would bump this thread for you to read, I hope it helps. <:)>
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Annae

Post by Annae » 26 Jan 2011 10:35

Ok guys im gonna put a spanner in the works. This is my first night not on the drink but one consistency i have dreaming in an alcoholic daze. Is that my dreams are often extremley vivid. I often cant see properly and often do have nightmares. Sometimes they about an ex boyfriend who after i broke up with hit the drink and never came off. Im hoping that now i refuse to let the habbit i developed because of him rule my life; my dreams might stop.

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga » 28 Jan 2011 19:35

I often dream about drinking, really awful dreams, not drinking normally in normal situations, but dreams about hidden bottles and furtive trips to off-licences. I never worry that they are some kind of Harbinger, I think if I gave up chocolate I'd dream about it !

It's very unpleasant though, especially those first few seconds when you think "did that happen or not".

I'm curious to see how I get along dream wise now. I've gone from so-called controlled drinking to abstinence as the control was just a joke in my case ! at this moment in time anyway. Last night I dreamed my partner was telling me how proud of me he was for stopping, I usually dream we're fighting.
Mind you I'm taking codiene phosphate for pain at the minute, they give you very odd dreams. :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Day 10 alcohol free.
"Drink not the third glasse, which thou canst not tame,
When once it is within thee; but before
Mayst rule it, as thou list; and poure the shame,
Which it would poure on thee, upon the floore...."
George Herbert

64Turtles
Last Drink Date: 29 Sep 2014

Post by 64Turtles » 28 Jan 2011 20:55

Well done E,

I haven't dreamt much in years except while taking medication but last night I had stolen my sons memory foam mattress. I had a dream of my doctor whom I saw last week. A bit sexy and a bit drinky but scary none the less. I didn't dream it but woke several times in the night with the feeling I can only share would be if I were sleeping on jello. Very strange indeed. I'll give it another go before it has to go away from my bed. I'll have no jello parties in my sleeping quarters ( unless that is..... Tink and Jo are involved mind you). ;)
“Just remember - when you think all is lost, the future remains”

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 28 Jan 2011 20:59

Too funny Turtles :lol: :lol: Needed the laugh........thanks! Hope you are doing well?

Enjoy a good and sober weekend <:)> <:)>

Linda
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz » 29 Jan 2011 09:10

:lol: :lol:
Very funny Turtles, I had looked into those memory foam mattresses, but :o they are so expensive. I think I will stick to my firm mattress though, I don't fancy sleeping in Jello. :lol: Jello is the same as jam right? :lol:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy » 29 Jan 2011 09:26

We tried the tempa (or whatever they are called) ones last year, they had a try it free for 60 days. I thought it was OK nothing special though, OH didn't like it though so it went back. Bit of a result as the mattresss would have cost me £1400 if we had kept it!
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga » 29 Jan 2011 09:41

I've often wondered about those memory foam mattresses. :)

I had an awful dream last night, it was such a relief to wake up, horrible fights, ultimatums, but I suppose all this stuff is bound to surface some time... better in a dream than real life. :(
"Drink not the third glasse, which thou canst not tame,
When once it is within thee; but before
Mayst rule it, as thou list; and poure the shame,
Which it would poure on thee, upon the floore...."
George Herbert

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy » 29 Jan 2011 09:56

If your interested in them take a look at their website I'm sure they will repeat the try it free deal
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

64Turtles
Last Drink Date: 29 Sep 2014

Post by 64Turtles » 29 Jan 2011 12:41

It would seem the #2 night of foaming at the brim of sleep has left me with a bad taste of the mattress affair. I had my second scary dream..... so off it goes. Now mind you I drank yesterday but my chioce bevvy is soda when I need comfort and it may be I went overboard on the sugary delight so my sleeping could take no flight. The one full bump in the rim tho was me dreaming of being in a scenerio where the handy man on site was going to toss a 6 pack of empties in the garbage bin except the empties had been fillled with fuel as he wanted to see the bin burn baby burn :shock: I was on the premise and he laughed as he drove away saying I would be the only one on video as he was out of the range of the lense as he set fire to the container of debris removed from a house he was remodeling. I was now faced with having to not tell the police as I seemed to be linked as a friend of a friend to this madman. I would like to say my first thought in my dream was to 'burn' him - the idiot......but I found I was weighing the options to wash my bloody hands of the whole scene without being involved. I woke feeling guilty over something that never happened. I shall sleep on jello no more and Tink and Jo you lost your opportunity ....at least for jello but pudding can be arranged..... :o
“Just remember - when you think all is lost, the future remains”

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 29 Jan 2011 13:26

That's a terrible dream, 64T! And strangely violent, too, like the one I had last night:

I was at my cousin's house (except, of course, with true dream-logic, it wasn't his real house at all). A young guy kept loitering outside the house, gesturing rudely in at my cousin. My cousin Simon's a big lad (he's in the RAF) and he was itching to get outside and beat seven shades of something horrible out of the young man. I kept pulling him back, telling him that since the guy obviously wanted to fight, Simon's best chance of annoying him was to ignore him...

We moved then into the back garden, and I watched in horror as Simon and the guy started shooting at each other through the garden gate that led to the suburban street at the front of the house. It was kind of like Gunfight-At-The-OK-Corral-meets-The-Good-Life. But incredibly scary.

I took cover beneath the picnic table, and noticed that I was now next to a steep bank that led down to a river. I figured I'd be safer to take cover down on the bank, but as soon as I stepped onto it, I realised it was covered in compost bags. The compost bags had been slit open, and out of them hopped thousands and thousands of small frogs. It seemed as though someone was trying to restock the river with them. I found myself stepping on the poor wee frogs and I realised I had only two options: jump in the river with them, or step back up into the line of fire...

Weird. And I'm not sure I actually want to know what any of it means, ha!

Going back to Sandy's earlier comment about being unable to control a car, I used to dream a lot of suddenly finding myself either incredibly high up (often at the top of a church steeple) or dropped into very deep, very dark water. An out-of-control car, being precariously high up, or in "deep water" ... I suppose the images are all fairly obvious metaphors for feelings of powerlessness, anxiety and foreboding. But, thankfully, like Sandy, I suffer these far less often when I'm not drinking. (They sound a bit similar to the dream above, but they're far more vague and far more threatening, somehow.)

Anyway, here's something else on the subject of dreams that I've always liked. I've never quite decided whether or not I fully understand or agree with it, but there's something pleasurable in pondering on it...

"Dreaming is not merely an act of communication (or coded communication, if you like); it is also an aesthetic activity, a game of the imagination, a game that has a value in itself. Our dreams prove that to imagine - to dream about things that have not happened - is among mankind's deepest needs. Herein lies the danger. If dreams were not beautiful, they would be quickly forgotten."

- Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Best wishes for peaceful nights of pleasant dreams for all,
Mark
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'