Weird Dreams

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Mark.

Re: Weird Dreams

Post by Mark. »

silvergirl wrote:
03 Sep 2021 11:42
No dreams last night that i can remember you’ll be pleased to hear.
No, do bring on any more you have, SG! The more, the merrier \:)/

I'm really glad you liked the Knight Rider fact. I was worried I might look a bit of nerd for knowing something like that :oops: :lol:

Your job opportunity sounds exciting - well done! But I see how the dilemma may have affected your dreams. The pros and cons of the two jobs are finely balanced, aren't they? I hope you'll make the choice that's happiest for you.
silvergirl wrote:
03 Sep 2021 11:42
I also heard myself say confidently out loud last week “I think I probably could drink now because I’m so much happier than I was!” And that’s not really a road I want to go down, resurrecting the empty beer can, but at least I could see the futility of it in my subconscious?! So I think it doesn’t hurt to stop and reaffirm my commitment to sobriety, it’s something that, for me, I feel is cyclical, I shall begin reading here again and listen to a few sober podcasts etc.
That's very wise. It gave me pause for thought. Feeling "happier than I was" has often been the catalyst for me to reintroduce alcohol, but has it ever worked? No.

Finally it dawns on me that if we start drinking again when we are happy, what will we do if/when we become unhappier again? The answer isn't cut down, stop, or be sensible, it? No, in unhappiness we are too irrational to care enough for ourselves to choose wisely, so (for me, at least) it always leads to heavier and heavier drinking. You are right to reaffirm your commitment to sobriety, SG, and it was a good time for me too to hear these thoughts.

Also, why is it we so often forget that our current happiness is highly likely to have been contributed to by our sobriety? So, why risk spoiling things?

Whatever, it is really good that you are happy! ;)? \:)/

I was working all over the weekend, so I think I slept too deeply to remember any dreams... more's the pity.
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl »

Thanks mark. <:)> Indeed, I am happy because I don’t drink, so drinking to celebrate that fact would be somewhat backwards! :lol:

sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

silvergirl wrote:
08 Sep 2021 22:17
I am happy because I don’t drink, so drinking to celebrate that fact would be somewhat backwards!
:lol: ;)?

Seriously, it's a mistake I've made repeatedly for the best part of thirty years.

My mum discovered a few years ago that she is allergic to seafood*. Every year on the anniversary of the test results, she happily consumes an enormous bowl of prawn cocktail and then spends the next two days with her head over the toilet bowl.

Ok, that's a lie. But the logic mirrors exactly my former relationship with booze (w) :lol:

Still no noteworthy dreams, this week, sadly. I'm going to need to start eating more cheese for supper...

*That much of the story is true.

<:)>
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

Maybe an element of it is that we use drink as a reward and we are more likely to reward ourselves when we are happy? (I do anyway. A shopping trip when I am low is cheap but a bit 'depressing'.)

I have had some interesting (to me) dreams, but too specific to me and not coherent enough in narrative to relate.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Rachel wrote:
11 Sep 2021 10:16
Maybe an element of it is that we use drink as a reward and we are more likely to reward ourselves when we are happy?
I think that's a good point, Rachel ;)? I suppose the worrying thing is the nature of that reward, when it is alcohol.
Rachel wrote:
11 Sep 2021 10:16
A shopping trip when I am low is cheap but a bit 'depressing'.
I do know what you mean, but quite often when I'm down in the dumps, I buy myself a new hat.

Now you know where I get all my hats!

Apologies - that's still my favourite panto 'joke' :oops:

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Last night I was in Oxford, looking for Christmas presents for my niece and nephew. Except it wasn't Oxford at all. I haven't been to Oxford for a very long time, so my mind filled in the blanks and came up with something a bit like Edinburgh, but stuffed with wonderfully large bookshops.

In one of these shops, I found a marvellous radio controlled speed boat, but somebody unseen called out something sarcastic, so I put the boat back and resumed my quest.

Then I was in a pub with three of my oldest friends, Tim, Dave and Gareth, with whom I did most of my earliest drinking, Gareth especially. I suddenly realised that I was drinking ginger beer but nobody minded that I no longer drink alcohol and it was a nice feeling to know that however much we've changed, our friendship remains.

Gareth and I did once visit Tim in Oxford, years ago, so I suppose this inspired the dream, though I don't know why it came to mind, last night.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Funny how you can go for a week or more with no dreams remembered, and then a batch of them come along all at once... :?

In the first of last night's, I went on an extremely heavy bender. Got very drunk at home while my wife was elsewhere, and then left the house (and possibly even the town) in search of more booze. Lost, lonely, and beginning to sober up, I finally staggered homeward, filled with remorse not only at how easily and wantonly I'd sacrificed my sobriety, but also at the thought of how upset my wife would be. I sent her a text to let her know I was on my way home and had learned the error of my ways - this time for good.

Then, somehow in my mind's eye I suddenly saw my wife sitting on the sofa, talking on the phone. Except that it wasn't my wife but my mum, and she was smiling. I felt some relief - it was good to see her smiling at something, despite how atrociously I'd behaved.

I awoke. It was a pretty scuzzy, sweaty and unpleasant kind of dream, all told.

Having dozed back off again, I found myself watching a grainy TV documentary from the 1970s about country life. It turned a bit Wicker Man-ish when an elderly yokel - a kind of Old Ned character - passed away and his body was laid out in an open coffin placed in the church porch. The narrator intoned solemnly: "...as in time-honoured fashion, his body is bedecked in hops and barley," and these crops were seen to be placed in the coffin.

It interested me that both dreams involved booze and arguably served to create a parable (go on a bender and you'll wind up in a coffin). But, in truth, the first dream was horribly unsettling, while the second was simply oddly comical, for reasons I can't now recall.

And there endeth my dreams for last night.

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl »

Hmm, yes, it’s quite unsettling when our dreams make us anxious. Or our anxieties influence our dreams! I’m interested that you put your amazing remote controlled speedboat back because someone off stage disapproved, perhaps some people pleasing going on there mark?! :lol:

Since signing my new job contract and handing in my notice my dreams have gone away. Or rather the unsettling anxiety ones have, I did dream the other night but I forget what now. I can’t lie down on one side at the moment though, because my friends son pierced the top of my ear a couple of weeks ago and it still hurts, quite a lot! It turns out that I have a side that I prefer to sleep on, which I didn’t realise until that side was off limits so perhaps that’s why I’m not dreaming? Or, just, job decision made and my subconscious has shut up about it all. <shrug>

I think we are in agreement that benders are off limit though! :lol: ;)?

sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

silvergirl wrote:
27 Sep 2021 13:54
I’m interested that you put your amazing remote controlled speedboat back because someone off stage disapproved, perhaps some people pleasing going on there mark?!
It's funny how much sillier that part of the dream sounds to hear it mentioned by someone else, SG! At the time, it was quite unsettling. But now you mention it... :lol:

Well done on making your job decisions. Best wishes for the new role - and I hope your ear cools down soon too ;)? <:)>

I went through a long period last summer of turning a lot during the night. First from my back on to my left side, then on to my front, then to the other side, before returning to my back. And then repeating the whole exercise. I felt like a pig on a spit :roll: :lol:

Thankfully, this habit disappeared.

I have no dreams to report today.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Mark. wrote:
27 Sep 2021 16:12
... I have no dreams to report today.
Maybe we should have a whiparound for a cheese hamper? ;) :)
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2022 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Trojan wrote:
27 Sep 2021 18:45
Mark. wrote:
27 Sep 2021 16:12
... I have no dreams to report today.
Maybe we should have a whiparound for a cheese hamper? ;) :)
:lol: :lol: (::) (::)

What a superb idea! Yes, please! ;)?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Bon appétit et fais de beaux rêves :D

irish cheese hamper.jpg
irish cheese hamper.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Woohoo! Fabulous! What a lovely spread. Or should I say, brielliant spread? I'm sure my dreams will indeed be beautiful after this lot, merci, Trojan, mon ami - it was very gouda you! ;)? <:)>

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

It doesn’t get much cheddar than a good hamper, eh? ;)?

Don’t overdo it though - caerphilly does it :mrgreen:

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

(w) :lol:

(::)

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I had some odd ones. I think anxiety-related.
In one I was sitting in a large seminar/board room type room. Everyone around the table but me was some high flying, fiendishly intelligent,academic type - mostly men. They were going round the table asking people to introduce themselves. When it go to me, I said I was studying philosophy. I suppose I thought this made me sound better than the truth, although I justified it to myself by thinking that I was (sort of) studying philosophy last year.
This segued into a new variant on the recurring toilet nightmare.
Normally this involves filfthy toilets - the actual toilet often without a seat, the bowl full up with water and unmentionables, the floor covered in what may be water or may be pee and soggy loo paper. Sometimes there is no toilet at all in the cubicle. I go from cubicle to cubicle trying to find one that I can bear to use.
There was an element of this in this dream, and the setting for this one was student accomodation as it often is. (I never had anything like this in halls, I should say.) But instead of it being an official 'toilets' setting, there was a maze of narrow, almost locker-like doors some of which might have been normal rooms. A young Japanese man came out of one and indicated that the toilet (with a 'man' symbol on it) was now free. I said, in (rather rusty, poor-accented, bad French, as my French is at the moment) that I prefered to use a women's toilet. He gave me a look that somehow conveyed 'suit yourself but you may regret it') which bothered me. I found a door with a woman symbol on it and went inside. Inside there was a huge room filled with lots of (too much) tapestry-type upholstered furniture. There were two women there who seemed ot be attendants of some type. (Not dressed as toilet attendants usually are though. Normal clothing? Or possible Victorian dress.) One of them indicated a large piece of upholstered furniture - part bed part settee - which contained a toielt. A commode I suppose. I was not keen on this. It didn't seem hygienic. They fussed around it for me to use it and were showing now sign of leaving me. (Having to go to the loo in front of other people is another element of the recurring dream.) There was a bit more, but the detail has gone, and not long after, I woke up... and went to the loo!
Rachel

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

Mark. wrote:
04 Mar 2021 09:09
Well, I guess that puts paid to any romance with Rosanna Arquette :roll:
You'd better be careful I'll tell Annabel ;)
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Rachel your dream sounds to me like your brain telling you (in your sleep) that you need the loo, wake up. Which you do. The alternative is that (in your dream) you find a usable toilet - and wake up to find you've wet the bed.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Probably Danny, although I don't think loo nightmares are always correlated with needing to go to the loo. It's odd they often have a student context. I never lived anywhere really scummy (although several places were a bit basic).
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

I've had 'actually needing the loo' loo dreams, but I think yours are more intimate, Rachel? There's the trauma of finding a loo fit for use, and also the trauma of having to go in front of others. I think I've had the latter dream too in the past - having to pee in sight of onlookers. I suppose the stress of this has to do with how physically vulnerable a situation it puts us in, to be engaged in the act of going to the toilet while others are around?

I know that you have been worried about having to return to working in the office (and the act of travelling to and from it too?), so perhaps this sense of being vulnerable, or feeling at risk, provoked the dream? Although this doesn't explain the student setting, of course.

Dreams in which we have to expose ourselves, or have things exposed to us, are a bit weird, aren't they? I had a slightly unsavoury 'exposure' dream, the other night. I was sitting with an old schoolfriend and her husband at a picnic table (in a pub garden?). Both are fairly hirsute heavy metal fans and I was trying to impress Kirsty with my new tattoos, which covered my arms and somehow seemed to prove my rock 'n' roll credentials (when, in reality, I have no tattoos, nor any desire to get any).

She quite liked them and in reply showed me her latest by removing ​her T-shirt and revealing her breasts. The tatt was impressive (very colourful) but I felt really uncomfortable inspecting it in the company of her husband, even though he didn't seem to mind at all.

It wasn't an erotic dream - I've never been attracted to Kirsty in that way, and didn't feel so in the dream (and wouldn't recount the sordid tale here if I did!). So, it must have meant something else, about having something revealed to me that was on one level impressive but which also made me feel uncomfortable.

I guess the dream and its feelings could just have been inspired, at an emotional level, by whatever I'd watched on TV that evening (either The North Water or Ridley Road), so probably I'll never know.

The dream ties in well, though, with a Bruce Dickinson solo album! :)

TattooedMillionaire.jpg
TattooedMillionaire.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 1509 times