Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Weird Dreams

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Fondue2016
Last Drink Date: 15 Jul 2015

Re: Weird Dreams

Post by Fondue2016 » 10 Jan 2016 18:50

Hi!

Is not really the dreams that make me think but the waking up as though I have a hang-over! It really takes me a few seconds to realize I have not drunk the night before and that fuzzy feeling and strange taste in my mouth is not what I think it is!

Does anyone else get this? It really bugs me!

Ta!
Fondue ;)?

"Sobriety delivers everything alcohol promised".

cowboy

Post by cowboy » 12 Jan 2016 01:20

Little over the 2 week hurdle and the weird dreams are kicking in. So real and crazy good. I think I could be a screenwriter when I wake up from them. No drinking dreams yet.

DD. I always have a recurring dream that I am driving but I am asleep (not intoxicated) at the wheel. I can't see where I'm going but I continue to drive on. It's the weirdest thing and sometimes I get so distressed in my sleep about it I actually wake myself up. I know cowboy needs to stay out on the range away from civilization so he can't hurt anybody.

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 12 Jan 2016 09:01

Quoting Winker from a few posts back, travelling is meant to show your journey through life. I wonder if you feel that you're sleeping through your journey? Life is going on without you? Your journey is happening and you have no control ('sleeping' through the journey)? Maybe, as you get sober, you'll be awake through these journeys, taking more control? Or perhaps the dream suggests you want to be asleep (lack of responsibility?) but are fighting it?

Sorry Cowboy. Amateur psychoanalysis here, working from the idea that travelling is your journey.
be selfish in your sobriety.

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be » 16 Jan 2016 10:44

I've been having sleep problems since quitting and today I'm troubled by a dream i had, fell asleep again just as I sjould have been getting up. ..

Truth. I'm feeling socially isolated at work and dislike the "in" clique, with its unspoken rules of who gets to sit at the top end of the lunch table and who doesn't (I dont, even tjough I'm one of the old timers there too).. I hate this.

Dream. Bit fuddled now but..
First, I'm cycling along an isolated road (like the one I drive home along), but struggling to keep control of heaps of loose stuff I'm csrrying. I'm not able to cycle straight, and I keep seeing the edge of the road just inches from my wheels. Its loose sand and I realise its a cliff edge. I can see a lovely tidy town below, like a twee swiss one. There are tiny people walking around, and groups of people together. It all oozes friendliness and cozy order. I know I'll die if I fall but I'm more irritated about all the items I'm carrying than correcting my course. I look over my shoulder and suddenly I'm in the undersea tunnel I drive through every day. Fotrunately not falling, although that's a recurring one with me.

But then the scene changes. I'm together with the main three women of the in-crowd at work. I find them intimidating together even in real life. For some reason I am with them on a long weekend trip. We drive for a long time to the hotel. But i know there were only 3 rooms available so I have to be in another hotel. But then there is a bloke with us and we're in my car which is a big six seater van. Someone is driving, not me. In RL this bloke I met in the shop on way home, and he is nice and attended my meeting earlier this week. He is influential and liked my idea. OK. I suddenly find that the others are talking and I'm under a duvet, and so is blokey. He's tspping away on a tablet trying to find ways of getting me a room in same hotel. I'm feeling grateful to him and suddenly realise he is half naked as if really in bed, and I find so am I. He has his arm round me and I'm comforted by his large solidness (my oh is very slight although strong) and dare I say it, sort of jovial hairy manness. Mu OH hasnt been jovial or supportive for years.... It wasnt sexual, but discreetly physical, and it all ended when someone came to the door and I realised I was late doing the animals they were going to borrow today.

I think even I can see where all this is going but it was good to put it down..

ok now to recoup a half wasted day!!
Thank goodness its a sober one!

have a good one, all.

EDIT. I've just remembered, in the bicycle part, I also suddenly realised I'd been drinking before I got on my bike. Hmmm. Not hard to interpret, eh??

ps Danny, a certain parallel with your backstage dream maybe??
Definition of recovery:
1) "a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength"
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 14 Nov 2016 12:07

I know I am in the game when the dreams start up. So vivid and so ... weird. I am not sure if there is a mechanism that clicks inside my head that makes me remember better or pay more attention to my dreams or what. Or maybe, even in your dream state, you are not drunk and more capable of observing. Such clarity and so vivid. For sure much different than when I am drinking.

What do the dreams mean? Geez - I don't know. Sure are more adventurous though.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 15 Nov 2016 16:01

I remember I used to have a lot of nightmares when on and off drinking , cowboy . One I still remember was hitting giant pink spiders away from my daughter , and using a tennis racket . Weird and vivid dreams as you say .

That one I deleted was about my childhood , it was sad so that's why I had deleted it .

Weird one the other night , I dreampt I was filling the hot water bottle for daughter , but instead of hot water ,it was with gin !

I think that's just because now in supermarkets there is more advertising alcohol and spirits seem to be the ones I go pass , to get to the whatever else section .

I think you can look on google about what a certain dream means ,but then again it might be a bit far fetched .

Hope the dreams start to get positive again , Cowboy:)

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 16 Nov 2016 09:36

I think alcohol suppresses R.E.M. sleep so could be why you seem to dream less. Or could be something to do with dopamine. I had auditory hallucinations (music, which sounded like it was coming from outside my head but clearly wasn't) a few times when cutting down/giving up and a counsellor told me it was related to dopamine. Brain creating too much.
Probably two different things though.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 02 Jan 2017 07:19

So, my ex (who I haven't seen in a while) used to be (probably still is) a mechanic - ran his own business when we were together.

My dream: I applied to his (small) business for the apprentice job (I'm in my 60s. Even in my dream, I'm in my 60s). I'm interviewed by the lady who works in the office. It's all very amicable and she gives me advice about resuscitating broken cars (like the ABC for first aid: air ways etc). I then help her collect in applications for the same job.

My car (Land Rover. Land Rover? Land Rover) breaks down, so I take it to the garage for repair. 10 minutes later, my ex finds me and asks how I should approach this if I were his apprentice. I run through the ABC his interviewer had given me, so he sent me off to physically do this - one of these is to check the battery for oil levels (I do know oil doesn't go in batteries...). I point out it's down and he tells me to top it up. Which oil do I need? He shows me on another car, how to find out from marks on the battery. I go back to the Land Rover, where his mechanic is already doing all this, and shows me where the marks are. And then asks why I want to know. This makes me think. This young lad is the one who would be training me. And then I would retire. Why am I trying to do this? At my age? I decide to withdraw my application, only to find my ex saying he's thrown away the other applications and given the job to me. I help him look for the rejected applications, though he's fairly disinterested in finding them - and wake up.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 03 Jan 2017 05:35

Thanks Sunny. It was odd to be sure.

You - can you write down all your rambling thoughts? Use the notes facility if you're on an apple - or pen and paper. Write them all down. Say firmly "there. I'll think of you all again in the morning." And put all those thoughts out of your head? That sometimes works for me. And then I find a YouTube clip (Leonard Cohen's great for this) and I'm asleep before it's finished playing.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 02 Jun 2017 08:58

I had a wonderful (albeit rather adolescent) dream last night that lasted for ages and was very vivid. In it, I was spending a day with the lead singer and guitarist from one of my favourite bands.. I can't remember how we spent the day, but in the evening the singer and I went to a theatre to watch the guitarist give a solo concert.

Afterwards, we went back to the green room and sat around on sofas chatting. The guitarist picked up a large white plastic bucket containing a very peculiar dark red and very syrupy alcoholic drink, and he started drinking from it with a long straw. I knew he would eventually offer it to me.

It wasn't the kind of drink that would interest me, ordinarily, plus I really had absolutely no interest or urge to drink alcohol. I was on the verge of declining - in fact, I was almost looking forward to this: saying "I don't drink" felt rather like wearing a badge of honour.

However, I didn't want to embarrass anyone and, if I'm honest, I didn't want to look silly in front of the guitarist, so out of politeness I took the bucket and straw, intending to have a couple of tiny sips and then hand it on to the singer.

But, of course, within seconds, I'd sucked up the entire contents of the bucket, and realised that only dark red dregs were left at the bottom.

I wasn't quite sure how I'd managed this, and I also regretted not keeping to my promise of "a couple of tiny sips".

I think my brain is trying to tell me something...

NB. I should also state for the record, that I seriously don't think my favourite band drink alcoholic drinks from large white plastic buckets. At least, one would hope not.
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 02 Jun 2017 09:25

Jjjj of Old wrote:I think my brain is trying to tell me something...
Hmmmm so do I...beware of people bearing buckets :lol:

Seriously odd dream there Mark :?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 02 Jun 2017 09:30

Topcat wrote:
Jjjj of Old wrote:I think my brain is trying to tell me something...
Hmmmm so do I...beware of people bearing buckets :lol:

Seriously odd dream there Mark :?
For what it's worth mark I would say your dream is saying, for you to drink would be the last straw and you would then have a bucket" moment. :roll:
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 02 Jun 2017 10:05

Topcat wrote:Hmmmm so do I...beware of people bearing buckets
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lush4life wrote:For what it's worth mark I would say your dream is saying, for you to drink would be the last straw and you would then have a bucket" moment.
Ha ha! Very good, Kim :lol: (::) ;)? Your jokes are getting a bit beyond the "pail" now ;)

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 02 Jun 2017 10:11

Mark, I'm desperately trying to have a self imposed "sarcasm
detox" you and newty don't make it easy for me , am trying to tap into my "inner seriousness" Oommmm :lol:
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 02 Jun 2017 10:12

:lol: :lol: (::)

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 26 Sep 2017 08:09

I'm intrigued by this. You know you are in the dream, because you're actively climbing over things which you have realised are textbooks. And yet this other figure turns out to be you - in the third person - as well. I've never thought that I might dream about myself like that, I'm usually too actively involved in the first person experience.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Sep 2017 21:54

I had my 'packing nightmare' with knobs on last night. I was on holiday (somewhere hot - an island - but it seemed to be ex-Eastern block) and had to pack to fly home, but there was a wardrobe in the room full of stuff from years ago. Too much to pack it all - things that I did not want to leave behind but didn't really want to take with me either. (I can tell you are bursting with interpretations of this...) I wondered if I could leave them there and come back to them as I have in other places/dreams (slight lucid dreaming there.) It felt like maybe some of these things had been here from other holidays - and I oscillated between being reassured and comforted by this - as perhaps I could leave them here but come back to them again if I wanted to, as I seemed to have possibly done before (although I couldn't remember having done so) - but then perhaps I couldn't because I didn't really think I had been here before.

The 'with knobs on' bit was that I also had my cats with me, and had to get them back home. Clearly no question of leaving hem behind but I was not sure how I was going to get them home (or indeed how or why I have them with me.)

There are perhaps obvious interpretations, but bear in mind that I do have problems getting rid of things in the waking world. I can find getting rid of (physical) things emotionally exhausting. Not surprisingly, my house is full of clutter.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 26 Sep 2017 23:45

Winkler wrote:Ooo yes - I'd say 'people' in dreams you actively engage with or who appear very significant are actually an aspect of yourself.

I'm quoting this because I want to remember this.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Sep 2017 21:31

Hmm it just makes me feel anxious. However things are pushing beyond even my tolerance levels at the mo! (Not the cause of my recurring nightmare, I think, though.)
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 02 Oct 2017 16:12

I was sat down and dozing in front of the TV. And my legs are crossed (right over left). And suddenly I'm in a dream, driving a car. I can't uncross my legs because the steering wheel is in the way. Which means (for some reason. Is everything back to front?) I can't brake (now I'm awake I realise my right foot is for accelerating, however). I'm going faster, flying past parked cars, so on the wrong side of the road. I pull back into my side, but I'm aware that coming towards me is a red van - it's on my side of the road, and there's nothing I can do to avoid it, because my leg is jammed. I wake up in a panic....