Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Anxiety / Alcohol

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Re: Anxiety / Alcohol

Post by Sandy » 27 Oct 2018 09:38

Maypole wrote:
25 Oct 2018 06:09
I failed and back again.. day 4... just not strong enough and my work and homelife so appalling I just can’t cope and feel and see no enjoyment or improvement at all.
Maypole I think as long as you keep considering you failed you are going to make this journey tough for yourself and we know it is tough enough already without us beating ourselves with a stick. You do have the strength to do this, you do have the strength to continue. We all have, its just finding it and keeping it in our grip. There are times where it deserts us but we have to be sure in ourselves we can get it back. I was told on here to change my mindset, to think a bit more positive ( bloody hard when in the depths of the black blur) to aim to turn everything around, in my mind where I can. This certainly wasn't easy at first but I clung to it and try still to do it to this day. Keep holding on to the fact that you have achieved sobriety before so there is absolutely no reason that you cannot so it again- no reason - but the will and the want needs to come from within you and you need to work your socks off to make that override any other drink related wants/thoughts that keep coming into your head.

When drinking my anxiety was hideous. Mostly it leaves me alone these days. I have no doubt whatsoever that alcohol increased my anxious states 100 fold and of course I drank more to quell it, leading to higher anxiety and depressive states.
Like Sally eating healthy and getting exercise reduces my anxiety levels and makes me feel so much better. Poor diet and lack of exercise certainly impacts on my mood and my sense of well being, which in turn makes me anxious, worry and lowers my mood. Its a vicious cycle and often hard work to keep on top of it. I didn't take meds -my addictive personality worries me. but I do always have valium to hand if I feel particularly threatened.

You cna do this maypole -you just never give up trying <:)>

Pork

Post by Pork » 27 Oct 2018 09:41

I recon 8 months

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 27 Oct 2018 09:51

It was about the same for me, about the 9 month mark of abstinence when anxiety seemed to be over although I didn't use meds so I wouldn't know if that would speed things up or not, but the drink associated anxiety was over around the nine month mark for me.

Since then I couldn't give a flying...….. :D
Social distancing since 1966

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 27 Oct 2018 15:27

Hi Maypole, I can’t say anything about anxiety levels although I have been on ADs for a long time and have recently started to reduce them. I had to slow it down as I felt my depression was increasing again. In fact it was my drinking that was increasing. Sandy and Sally have hit it on the head : healthy eating and excercise. But even that’s hard to do when you’re feeling down and drinking too. Make an appointment with the kitchen and cook a big batch of casserole/chilli or whatever so you can freeze it and have healthy food on hand. Enjoy that with your favourite food treat - sweet or savoury. While it’s cooking go out for a walk, just 10-15 mins. Bath book cocoa early night. Enjoy the next morning with a breakfast and stroll around your area. Write down how you feel as you go through this and reread it when you feel a wobble coming on. Gosh I’m gonna have to do this myself. (w) We all need reassurance but better still is to reinforce ourselves. You were so pleased in August when you did more than 10days sober - proves you can do it. I’ve not got that far for a long time but ask me where I am on 2/11/18 ;)?

You’re worth this Maypole <:)>

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 27 Oct 2018 19:10

Maypole, I seem to remember that you were reporting improvements at around the 3 week mark last time.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 28 Oct 2018 11:02

Hi Maypole,

Work stress was a big problem for me, and a massive trigger to drink, because I hadn’t learned how to handle it effectively. The anxiety it created was crippling, cranked up x100 by constant drinking, and affecting all areas of my life. We have to get sober first, before we can get a handle on the anxiety. Trying to do it the other way around keeps people stuck.

ADs definitely help, once you find the one that works for you. Once you stop drinking, the ADs work properly, and you get a double benefit, with the first improvements after just a few weeks. I stayed on escitalopram for anxiety until summer this year, but had progressively cut down to lower doses over the previous two years. I’ve always taken the approach of holding on to as many supports as I can, so I didn’t rush this. Anxiety seldom bothers me now, and I don't feel the need for ADs. I have continued with tother things that help - going to a support meeting, practicing mindfulness and keeping a journal.

I took a lot from the book by Mark Williams and Danny Penman - “Mindfulness: Finding Peace in a Frantic World”. There is a related idea of a “window of tolerance” that I found helpful. It is well explained in the “Mindful Awareness Stabilisation Training” programme here…
http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/progr ... erials.php

Journalling has also been hugely helpful, and is the thing I still do most consistently. I make a conscious effort to look for the positives, so that I can see the crappy episodes in context. Write it all out, and draw a line under it, recognising that tomorrow you’ll probably be writing about something different.

Think of yourself as a non-drinker, because that’s what you need to become to get your life back. Ruling out drink as an option makes it possible - and necessary - to seek out and develop new ways of coping. You may need to try a good few different things before settling on a combination that works for you, and over time that combination will change. It’s a good idea to keep some ideas in reserve, so that you have a path to follow over time, and also something to fall back on, if/when a tough spell comes along. Be flexible and creative - keep trying new things and you will get there :-) <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 28 Oct 2018 21:49

Thank you friends. Alas I was weak on Saturday and the overwhelming anxiety and lack of discipline and hope made me get wine. I had a bottle Saturday and one on Sunday and then now have raving raging migraine and trying to sit at my desk at work without any ability to concentrate. Clearly drinking did not assist my anxiety one iota but did blotto out my weekend, so that I - 1) didn’t leave my flat, 2) cancelled going to a party or seeing any human at all 3) didn’t do any housework 4) watched mindless TV and ate boxes of Jatz crackers and chocolates 5) had to take migraine medication, and painkillers to cope with pain

Day 1 again.... and feeling strangely resolute. Reading your comments, I have decided I just need to be a non-drinker. I cannot use it sensibly and in fact think about it too much for it to be just a casual acquaintance ... and realise this will take months and months of hard work and discipline.

Also, the ADs have not worked for me... despite drinking, I have actually felt worse. Maybe psychosomatic that some can cause worse thoughts and electric shocks...

Pork

Post by Pork » 29 Oct 2018 05:24

8 months unless you’re a slow learner like newty 😝

Spats

Post by Spats » 29 Oct 2018 06:44

Hi Maypole :\: I for one don’t consider you as being weak, rather the opposite because you’re back on here. Unfortunately over the weekend thoughts of alcohol got the better of you, and I would suggest that it was the first drink that is the one remembered as giving that false release. Trojan is right in all his comments. For myself I would make a list of all the different coping mechanisms you could use which would help you through. Going for a walk - perhaps join a group of people and make a point of walking with them regularly - company of others can take your mind off your situation and if you’re hungover fresh air helps. Ring a friend. Read a book. Watch c**p TV. Listen to your favourite music. Go window shopping but away from the alcohol aisle (w) Get in the kitchen and cook something healthy. The list can be whatever you want. Keep this list with your journal.
And keep coming back here. It doesn’t matter how many day ones you do, the penny will drop eventually. And check off the number of AF days you have on a calendar, even in your journal. Keep marking those days and watch them mount up and help to rebuild your confidence ;)?

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 29 Oct 2018 09:55

Spats wrote:
29 Oct 2018 06:44
Hi Maypole :\: I for one don’t consider you as being weak, rather the opposite because you’re back on here. Unfortunately over the weekend thoughts of alcohol got the better of you, and I would suggest that it was the first drink that is the one remembered as giving that false release. Trojan is right in all his comments. For myself I would make a list of all the different coping mechanisms you could use which would help you through. Going for a walk - perhaps join a group of people and make a point of walking with them regularly - company of others can take your mind off your situation and if you’re hungover fresh air helps. Ring a friend. Read a book. Watch c**p TV. Listen to your favourite music. Go window shopping but away from the alcohol aisle (w) Get in the kitchen and cook something healthy. The list can be whatever you want. Keep this list with your journal.
And keep coming back here. It doesn’t matter how many day ones you do, the penny will drop eventually. And check off the number of AF days you have on a calendar, even in your journal. Keep marking those days and watch them mount up and help to rebuild your confidence ;)?
<:)> thank you spats, that made me teary reading that.

Spats

Post by Spats » 29 Oct 2018 12:59

Hey come on lass. I know you can do it. It takes time. Go easy on yourself - but not too easy that you end up down the booze aisle at the supermarket (w) ;)?

sji

Post by sji » 15 Apr 2019 21:02

Day 2 completed...a little bit of a battle earlier. However, coming on here and reading how I am not alone has helped tremendously. Plans for plenty of exercise tomorrow, feeling proud.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 15 Apr 2019 21:07

sji wrote:
15 Apr 2019 21:02
Day 2 completed...a little bit of a battle earlier. However, coming on here and reading how I am not alone has helped tremendously. Plans for plenty of exercise tomorrow, feeling proud.
That's great! Lots of people start feeling quite a bit better around 3/4 days in.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Alexendra

Post by Alexendra » 23 Sep 2019 12:44

Hi Nikki182 !!! Hope you had been solve out this issue I will wait for your reply,please keep posting ,I want to know how going on your life ...... (w) :\:

Alexendra

Post by Alexendra » 24 Sep 2019 10:26

Hi !!! Hope you had solved this problem. I want to know how going on your life ,...... :\: