PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Re: PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)

Post by Newt »

Why, what's it done? :?

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap »

Curled and wurled. ;)?

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt »

I hope you made it suffer for that ;)

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap »

Snaffled it!

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Helloooo

Think I might be having a bout of PAWS been reading around about it. I know this is a not very often used thread but I would be interested to hear people's experiences of PAWS if you don't mind sharing?

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

TrueState wrote:
18 Jun 2019 22:58

Think I might be having a bout of PAWS been reading around about it. I know this is a not very often used thread but I would be interested to hear people's experiences of PAWS if you don't mind sharing?
Hi TS. I think the most important thing re: PAWS is to accept it as part of the healing process. I knew it wouldn't last and I knew I would feel loads better afterwards. I found the disorientation a bit tough, but PAWS was never anywhere near as bad as a hangover <:)> TCxx
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

TrueState wrote:
18 Jun 2019 22:58
Helloooo

Yeah I've had two bouts, one just after my 1st year anniversary and one a few months later. It's difficult to describe - I just felt overwhelmingly emotionally awful. It was like that psychological withdrawal stage that often happens in early sobriety, when you feel flat, restless, bored, empty, can't get interested in anything. That early stage is about the brain missing its artificial stimulant, and passes. PAWS for me was that but more intense. The bouts lasted about three weeks in total, with an intense phase about 3/4 of the way through. It was very, very disconcerting - I posted about it and was hugey relieved to find that one of my BE buddies who'd joined at the same time was experiencing exactly the same thing. It was quite distinct from anything else I've experienced and unrelated to any external causes. The first time was the worst - the second time I could draw on previous experience and I'd read up on PAWS, so I understood that it would pass and I just had to hang in there.

How are you feeling?
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Definitely better than last week SB. I would not have been able to go out with work colleagues last week just doing the bare minimum required.
I'm not completely sure if its PAWS but I am interested in other peoples experiences as it helps to be a bit prepared when these things hit you for six out of the blue as is the way.
Topcat wrote:
19 Jun 2019 06:29
I think the most important thing re: PAWS is to accept it as part of the healing process.
This is what I tell myself a lot at the moment....it will be ok you are just healing...tends to help.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I read up on this and to be honest I had forgotten about what PAWS really is. People (TC and SB for sure) recently told me to check into this and I must confess that I did not. Sorry ladies.

After reading into this more closely I see many similarities between the symptoms identified and how I am feeling from time to time. Really interesting to see there is a 2 year period of abstinence required. Makes sense that after a lifetime of drinking it would take a significant amount of time to get your emotions back in order.

I'm a believer now.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap »

I have had paws too . It's so debilitating, no joy or get up and go it's awful .

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ »

Hi all,
I'm in the midst of what I believe to be a PAWS attack also.
Coupled with chronic insomnia - I sleep for maybe an hour then I'm awake again, tossing and turning, reading, pacing, whatever, for at least 2 hours, then another hour. This has been going on for over a year.
I went to my doctor - and he told me to have a couple of glasses of wine before bed :shock: WTF (I havent told about my problem).
I wish I'd accepted melatonin from him - now there's a huge waiting list again, and I'm off on travels for 2 weeks at the end of the month - and there I REALLY need some sleep.
So, this may or may not be contributing - but I do know I get some days when I wake up (eg at 7, having last nodded off at 6) with a pounding headache, the jitters and feeling incapacitated - just wanting to dive back under the covers, which is not good, as I really need to be leaving for work at 7...

Maybe I'll toddle off to the insomnia thread and look for tips, but I think I've about covered them all, from Valerian root to hypnosis tracks, herbal "sleep-inducing" tea, aromatherapy drops on the pillow, you name it. No caffeine after 12:00.

Fellow PAWS sufferers - hang in there, the alternative is worse (if it takes 2 years to get really "free" - think of the alternative - a whole life of slavery).
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

look up 5 htp. that helps with sleep and mood.
also l glutamine is good
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

chriscole wrote:
02 Oct 2019 12:39
look up 5 htp. that helps with sleep and mood.
also l glutamine is good
Cheers, Drew ;)?

There's a 5 HTP thread here too - it hasn't been posted on for a while, but some of the information there might still be of interest to people with sleep problems.
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Post by fiz »

I thought I’d give this thread a little nudge, I felt a bit emotional yesterday, not for the first time on this journey, so spent almost the whole day, reading this thread, it helps, helps to know that what we are going through is normal and we haven’t lost our minds completely, I don’t know who wrote this, but someone said, it will pass, well that cheered me up no end, I still feel as emotional, but knowing it will pass is fine, I will just cling on and ride it out.
Massive hugs to anyone going through this atm, it’s a very confusing thing to go through, and understanding it a bit better helps. <:)>
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

fiz

Post by fiz »

Hello anyone who looks in here. I thought I’d log a little bit of my experience, hopefully, if anyone goes through similar, it might help them.

I suspected I was suffering from PAWS in my11th month of sobriety, whilst I felt I should be feeling fantastic, happy, fitter, proud to be coming up to 12 months AF. I didn’t, I started to feel, emotional, depressed, mood swings, I seemed to be aching in my body, but not always in the same place, the dreaded insomnia kicked in, which just makes everything 10 times worse. Although, I felt like just giving up and having a drink, I didn’t, largely due to the advice and support from this site. I waited, thinking, it will pass in a couple of days, weeks. No, it didn’t, it wasn’t always the same symptoms, but it never went away, and I’m coming up to 16 months AF.
I decided, I needed to talk to someone, so, I spoke to nurse who works in a drug addition clinic. She spoke/listened to me for hours.
Everyone’s experience of this is different, as is all of our sober journey, but instead of feeling sad about all of this, which of course I’m still having black moods, but I am telling myself, positive things, sometimes is difficult to find something positive, but, when you’re feeling the need to cry, great, just cry, it’s proof that the chemicals in your brain are setting, your body is also still recovering, those aches and pains may be uncomfortable but again, you are allowing your body to recover, embrace it, get some Epsom salts, have a relaxing bath and be glad your body is recovering. I’m condensing everything here of course, and only pin pointing what was relevant to me, but exercise, was another thing she told me, not intense, walk, walk half an hour, an hour, what ever you can manage, 15 mins is great, but get outdoors, and walk.
I’m not through the woods by a long stretch with PAWS, but, I feel more positive and proud about, everything that me & my body are coping with right now.

Lots of love and support to anyone experiencing this, you are amazing, keep going. Xxx

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

fiz wrote:
26 Feb 2020 05:33
another thing she told me, not intense, walk, walk half an hour, an hour, what ever you can manage, 15 mins is great, but get outdoors, and walk.
That so helped me too in the darkest moments Fiz. Sometimes I didn't feel like getting out of hed, but I forced myself to get out for some fresh air at least (telling myself I was just going for 10 minutes max). Funny thing was, once I got moving, the aches/pains I'd been suffering would start to lift and so would my mood. Walking is free of charge and freely available - thoroughly recommend it ;)?

Keep at it Fiz. It really does get easier as things settle. I found it helped to remember how long I'd been pouring poison down my throat (decades) compared to how long I'd been sober. The brain and body really do need time to adjust and recover. Hugs <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

fiz

Post by fiz »

That’s very true TC, it’s taken me about 30 year to get to this state, yet I expected 12 short months to sort it. I feel a lot more positive since speaking to the addiction nurse. Onwards and upwards. ;)?

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

fiz wrote:
27 Feb 2020 05:08
That’s very true TC, it’s taken me about 30 year to get to this state, yet I expected 12 short months to sort it. I feel a lot more positive since speaking to the addiction nurse. Onwards and upwards. ;)?
It helped me to understand that neurological repair work is still going on, very significantly up to around the two year mark. I've certainly noticed that the third year has been much better.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.