Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Re: PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)

Post by Shadowlad » 12 Nov 2017 18:24

:lol: :lol2:
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be » 01 Mar 2018 11:12

:\:

Just been reading back. I was here nearly s year ago and now I'm here again..
Its the same. Again.

Ok. I will deal with this.
I forgot my vitamin supplements for some days so I'll start there.
Fatigue has hit me and I have a lot to do.
Forget it. Rest for 30 mins. Relapse would be worse.
I will not relapse. Not this time.

To do. Breathe...
Definition of recovery:
1) "a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength"
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 01 Mar 2018 12:46

faith2be wrote:I will not relapse. Not this time.
That's it Faith (::) Hang on and it will pass. Think of it as part of the healing process (which it is) <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 01 Mar 2018 12:59

Good woman Faith ! :\: (::) <:)>

We can all stay AF today can't we, and tomorrow is another day xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

faith2be

Post by faith2be » 01 Mar 2018 13:25

Thanks TC and shadow :-)
Yes I find the one day at a time thing helpful.
Never had the patience for it before, I wanted fixed immediately and there always came a f*it moment.
We all can do one day.
I'm just amazed that out of the blue I suddenly feel completely ill.
I am lucky yo have a day off today but sad to "waste" it on being ill. If this were not self induced anyone else would be able to call a sickie!

I just took my son and huddled us up under a blanket for a nap and I feel if not better at least like I can give in to it for today. Just be glad with what I do achieve and write the rest off.

Tomorrow will be another day. Today I'll just stay AF and that's the main thing.
So fed up of reading my same old same old posts dating back years.

Not going there no more. Oh no.

I have a client visit and social evening (posh dinner with matched wine menu - you know those 7 course jobs with huge plates and microscopic servings where the waiters description takes far linger than to eat the 3 mouthfulls). I'd be fine with those few tiny glasses - but all the wolves in hell would be released once in my hotel room.

Nope. I will ask for erdinger :-)
Oh and I had a running bet with one person - and he has promised me a bottle of tallisker and a few snorters together. I am going to have to mail him and tell him I am off alcohol "at the moment" and "lets make it some other time..." or it could get embarrassing.

Tallisker shoved in front of my nose before an important meeting makes.me quiver in (well-founded) fear :o
Definition of recovery:
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 01 Mar 2018 13:52

Hi dear Faith,

Been thinking for awhile I have to get back to this thread. Thank you for giving it a bump.
Your commitment is so strong and you are being tested right and left and mastering all of it.

Last night there was a touch of drama around the table. People jumping up, some having to leave abruptly. I got a lttile anxious maybe, but always now forcing myself to be aware that my emotions do not dictate my behavior, easier to do sober! I kept myself and my tongue quiet, while trying to stay chill I picked up what I thought was my glass and took a swig. It was my daughter’s wine glass, I shocked myself that I was desperate to spit it out. It helped me understand that the sneaky AV voice is bullshitting me. I was repulsed by having alcohol in my body. It was very visceral. Next time AV tries talking to me will tell it, ‘Don’t bother’

Sharing your experience as it happens is helping us all so much.
Putting learning more about PAWS on To Do list

Thank you Faith <:)>
D&D
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

free flow
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2019

Post by free flow » 01 Mar 2018 14:01

Hi Faith;

I've been around this blog for a few years and have been impressed with your determination to get off the rot. You've always been someone I can look to when the going gets tough and help me to keep sober. I had been a long time getting off it, far too long, and with many falls, but did it and you can do it too. These evenings are rough, but maybe if you can look at everything but the booze, it may help a bit.

When I had dinners, I would concentrate on what was happening, such as watching those who try to get very drunk very fast, those who try to even it out over the evening; and then see if I can understand any of the conversations, especially later in the evening. Not sure this sounds very nice, but I needed to stay away from the booze and it seemed to help, particularly the next morning.

I have confidence in you that you can do this and will keep everything crossed ( I look pretty weird right now (w) ) that you get thorugh unscathed.

My friend has confidence in you as well.
DSC_4683 (002) 02 - Aww Gee.jpg
DSC_4683 (002) 02 - Aww Gee.jpg (20.26 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
<:)> <:)>

J/
The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are. - Carl Jung

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 01 Mar 2018 21:20

Faith, keep going, we’re all right behind you :\:

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim » 01 Mar 2018 21:35

Spats wrote:Faith, keep going, we’re all right behind you :\:
Yes, keep posting, Faith. We have your back.

faith2be

Post by faith2be » 02 Mar 2018 09:19

Dear TC, shadow, d&d, freeflow, spats and sue <:)>
Thank you for your kund and thoughtful replies and for leaping into my corner when I suddenly felt that all too familiar attack of the bleurghs. That doesnt really describe the sudden crippling anxiety, bordering on panic, the tears and the fatigue. Not to mention the headache and searing pain in about every body part thats supposed to move. I get this every time I cut the booze after a period of err unwise relapse. So in fact knowing this helps. It will pass.

And it is passing. I still have the phantom hangover, complete with headache, raging thirst and all the morning unpleasantness. As I was hanging over the sink I thought good grief this is what every morning was like. Maybe the spiritual opposite of the EAF was trying to show me why i need to move on. I call this my GSS. Gentle Sober Spirit. :D

Today I feel better inside and once this headache and achy joints go, then I'll be on my way again. It was in fact good because I was getting complacent and booze thoughts were cropping up. Now my GSS has reminded me, I am only starting to recover. I have only got the acute part over with. The good bits are still ahead but I wont reach them if I start putting poison in me again.

I had a think. Although I had a week off in january, I went back at it again with a vengeance. Stupid but it was like I no longer had control of this beast. 20 days ago I gave in to it. I woke at about 6am, got up to get my big mug and went back to bed. The mug was filled with beer. 3 cans later the mug was being filled from my last emergency stash of wine. And by 11am I had retrieved my real dire emergency hard stash from the loft. That was my last wasted long-weekend, I swear.

I am learning to fill my mug with tea. I have a lot of tea, all different kinds, especially herbal. I may buy a new sober mug but for now I want to erase the memories of abusing the old ones. Putting beer in them thinking it looks like capuccino... :shock:

I feel a bit bleak about the long term but I will once more pledge just this one more day. My son has gone off for the day and I need to collect him in the afternoon. This would have sent me into panic on a day off - staying sober until 4pm when home alone? Torture! Now it IS a freedom to be able to drive anywhere, anytime. And not to dread people turning up unexpectedly. It was great yesterday. The builders turned up at about 8pm to collect stuff and I was decidedly sober. I know they have noticed in the past that I've been quietly sozzled. This shames me.

So not today. Today I am feeling calmer but phantom-hungover. Tomorrow I'll be better and by sunday I'll be through it. It usually takes 3 days. I hope my experiences help omeone else because I'm sure this is more widespread than we think - and a major cause of relapse after some weeks.

Thanks all, once more for the support that helped me through this ;)?
Faith xxx
Definition of recovery:

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 02 Mar 2018 09:32

Faith,
You are such a help to all of us. Your thoughts are pure gold on the path.
But I must say this, trying to stay sober while having the house under major construction is a staggering challenge.
And you are doing it.
Big hug
D&D

PS: I well remember the days of putting the sauce in coffee cups. <cringe> (w)
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

faith2be

Post by faith2be » 02 Mar 2018 09:40

DoneandDone <:)>
Likewise. You are a great help and inspiration <:)>
As are all of you. Thanks BE community <:)>
Definition of recovery:

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 02 Mar 2018 11:26

Faith, I really can’t begin to imagine what you’re going through. It sounds like hell! I’m so happy to hear that you are working through this and recognise the problems and symptoms and more importantly how to work through it. I so admire what you’re doing and that you have the courage to post and let everyone else know of your situation and how you’re resolving it. I take my hat off to you and everyone else facing and trying to overcome all this. You’re all a true inspiration to us. I wish you all well and will support you in whatever way i can <:)> <:)>

faith2be

Post by faith2be » 02 Mar 2018 12:08

Thank you spats. And I wish you well in your progress away from this curse of alcohol addiction <:)>
Definition of recovery:

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 21 Mar 2018 16:21

Does anyone know if PAWS can lead to physical symptoms - specifically aching all over?

It could be coincidence, but since I stopped drinking (7 months or so ago now) I have days where I hurt everywhere. My hands, feet and legs are the worst, and it's in the joints and the muscles. It's very wearing. I have it today, and I just want to cry. I'm tired, as I didn't sleep last night. I woke up feeling sore, and it hasn't improved as the day's gone on. I haven't done anything energetic to bring it on - I walked to my knitting group and back via the supermarket (maybe 15 minutes each way plus the walk around the shop), and that's it.

I'm not craving a drink, but it would be good to know that this is something that will pass in time, if that's the case. I can deal with most things if I know what they are, but I'm not good with uncertainty.

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 21 Mar 2018 16:26

Do you take magnesium? I also get horrendous joint pain.... think its uric acid crystals too.... in my joints.. gout. Have you had uric acid levels tested?

SueDenim

Post by SueDenim » 21 Mar 2018 16:55

I haven't had tests, but I do have some Magnesium citrate. i will try taking that and see if it helps, thanks ;)?

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap » 03 Mar 2019 14:50

4 weeks ago today I was drinking cider and hating myself. Now I am pleased that I have kicked the drink but this paws thing is really kicking in. I am tired even after sleep. I have low mood. I can't watch a full program on tv. I could cry sometimes and I am a 16 stone chap. Every time I start a little task I get demotivated part way through. I am scared as tomorrow I meet my new boss and staff as I got promoted at work and more responsibility. (Civil servant). I applied a while back so it has only just come through. No mojo at all. How long can it last folks?

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 03 Mar 2019 18:54

Luckychap wrote:
03 Mar 2019 14:50
4 weeks ago today I was drinking cider and hating myself. Now I am pleased that I have kicked the drink but this paws thing is really kicking in. I am tired even after sleep. I have low mood. I can't watch a full program on tv. I could cry sometimes and I am a 16 stone chap. Every time I start a little task I get demotivated part way through. I am scared as tomorrow I meet my new boss and staff as I got promoted at work and more responsibility. (Civil servant). I applied a while back so it has only just come through. No mojo at all. How long can it last folks?
PAWS tends to come in bouts, not usually lasting more than a week or so. But what you're experiencing may not be PAWS, but detox still - the acute stage lasts four weeks or so. You need lots of rest, good food, supplements (DON'T FORGET HIGH STRENGTH B1 and magnesium) and not to expect too much of yourself. You'll be fine at work - adrenaline will kick in - but probably very tired in the evenings and by the time you get to the weekend. If you don't know how to do square breathing look it up on Youtube and practise this evening. Atwork do it a few times a day, it'll calm you down no end. If you need to, say to your new boss/colleagues that you're just getting over one of these nasty viruses that's going around and you're a bit under the weather still. Peopel are always much more interested in themselves, so remember to smile, make eye contact, and ask questions, and no-one will notice a thing amiss, I promise. It might make sense to have easy things to eat for the evenings so you don't have to faff around too much. Good luck LC - remember you got this job because you're the right person for it <:)>
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 03 Mar 2019 19:48

Luckychap wrote:
03 Mar 2019 14:50

The little boy lost phase, don't worry about the crying, it's normal for big boys like us to cry during this. It's frustrating I know but stick with it because it will pass soon. You will yo-yo between days of bouncing around to days you don't want to get out of bed but soldier on because the strength of the down times and the frequency diminish quickly from this point on. The alcohol was detoxed within five days of your last drink and what you are going through now is your system readjusting to how things used to be, the brain re-wiring and everything and it's not a pleasant experience but like every other "injury" it takes time to get back to normal.

It's hard to give an accurate time line as everyone is different but you could be looking at a week to a month of yo-yoing to go and after that a couple of months worth of serious stopping the silly ideas that a swift one down the pub is a good idea.

I read your post and empathise with every word in it, so allow me my tuppence, invest the couple of months this will take to get the job done, not all days in the immediate future will be bad, far from it and it will be over by Summer, or even sooner. Your mojo will come back with a vengeance and you'll put all this behind you and move on to greater things.

Get through it old chap, your future self will thank you for it ;)?
Social distancing since 1966