Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Running and Walking Club

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
damson

Running and Walking Club

Post by damson » 16 Oct 2012 13:58

Here it is then, a new thread specifically for those of us who enjoy walking and running. Here is the place to post your goals, training plans and achievements.

Good luck everyone \:)/ \:)/

behindblueeyes
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2012

Re: Running and Walking Club

Post by behindblueeyes » 16 Oct 2012 18:14

Yay joop.....I recognise that training plan too!! :oops:

Ive signed up for a November 10k....so Im committed to getting going....

Ready....steady....off we go!!

\:)/

found a fab app....endomondo....(im sure there are others!)....it has a gps tracker and can measure off the road speed and distance. nice to know how far you're doing even if it is dead slow in my case!!
Dance like no-one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like no-one is listening, live like it's heaven on earth.

Pebbles
Last Drink Date: 27 Sep 2012

Post by Pebbles » 16 Oct 2012 18:55

Thank you Joop for this great idea and thank you Damson for creating the thread! Exciting!

I've been running similar time to you Joop probably for about 6 or 7 years. Done some 10ks and managed my first half marathon this year (after 3 months AF while training). I did it in 2hrs 8 mins. My goal for next year is to do a half in under two hours and some 10ks too! I used the BUPA website it has really good training plans for all different distances and abilities.

I'll need to have a look at that app BBE sounds good. I use Runkeeper, it's ok and free...

I like running because
1. You can do it alone or with friends
2. You can listen to music
3. You get plenty of fresh air and it makes you feel great
4. You don't need expensive equipment to do it, really all you need is a decent pair of trainers
5. People of all ages and abilities can do it
6. It's something you can chip away at and get better at

I just love it! The only thing I don't like about it is injury!!

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ » 16 Oct 2012 19:02

Oh this is brilliant!
I took up running about 8 years ago when I did a Race for Life and couldn't face asking people to sponsor me for walking 3 miles, so I trained and ran it instead( well slow jog really!). I did the race for life every year, and now at the grand age of 51 I am doing the great south run in 2 weeks in aid of Cancer Research ! I am so pleased - I would never have even considered this if I was drinking. I have built up my distance over the last YEAR and actually ran 10 miles in just under 2 hours last weekend. Am now tapering down until the actual race and my aim is to do it in 2 hours. :D
I use Runtastic on my phone- free too- measures distance, speed, maps it, really good on the whole, although it has failed at times.
Running has really helped me- given me confidence and a goal, as well as being handy when I need to run away from the EAF!
Cj
xx
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

pinkie
Last Drink Date: 14 May 2011

Post by pinkie » 16 Oct 2012 19:31

Hi

I too started running 8 years ago at the grand old age of 44. After a night out with a friend(wine involved) we decided to do the great north run with six months to train. We managed it but not in a great time!! At the time my drinking was not a problem but unfortunately ( despite keeping up the running until probably the last year as I have a heel injury ) my drinking has become a problem. I have made inroads this year and my drinking diary has over 2/3rds turquoise squares, but i do know that I really need to give up totally as I cannot control myself when I drink. I have eventually consulted my doctor about the heel problem and have been referred- i kept thinking it would get better by itself. Hopefully with treatment my heel will get better soon and i can join in with this thread. Whilst I don't always enjoy the run the feeling afterwards is better than after a glass of wine.

jane x

behindblueeyes

Post by behindblueeyes » 16 Oct 2012 19:40

WooooHoooo......

3 miles tonght....dead slow.....but ok as a starter for ten....

I like this thread! (::)
Dance like no-one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like no-one is listening, live like it's heaven on earth.

damson

Post by damson » 16 Oct 2012 20:23

I'm so pleased people are liking this thread - great idea Joop ;)?

My slimming class have started a walking group and i've just got back from a strenuous 3.1 mile walk. It was very hilly and I certainly got very warm. Not sure how long it took cos we started late and I forgot to check the time. Next week I will borrow daughter's stop watch and
start to keep a note. Will be good to log times and see improvements - hopefully :oops:

Pebbles
Last Drink Date: 27 Sep 2012

Post by Pebbles » 16 Oct 2012 21:20

It's great to hear what everyone is doing!

I think it really helps to have a goal. There is no way on earth I could have ran that half marathon if I had been drinking. I managed to last a month after i'd done it then I was taken in by the EAF. It gave me another reason not to drink when it was still ahead of me.

What does everyone do in the winter? Last couple of years I have resorted to joining a gym to avoid the dark nights/wild weather. A woose I know. But for some reason I am quite prone to injuring myself on a treadmill, and it's just not the same as running outside! It's dark when I leave my flat and dark when I get home. Are you all just brave?

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2018
First Sober Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 17 Oct 2012 09:18

My son takes part in the 'Knacker Cracker' 10k run at Boxhill on New Years Day mornings :o lots of the runners dress up and they have a piper in full Scottish dress standing at the top of a hill piping away. The course is tough but the atmosphere is fantastic. The first time he did it he came 23rd out of around 300 and last year he came 7th (::)
He also enjoys Mucky Runs' .... No idea where he gets it from.
I took part in the 2011 London Marathon with him to celebrate my 60th birthday year! Unfortunately I had to walk more than run on the day as I went down with flu the week before :roll: but we finished ;)?
When I was training, and I emphasise was, I used Runkeeper on my phone ... Great app!
Happy walking or running all \:)/
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Sheila

Post by Sheila » 17 Oct 2012 10:16

What d'ya mean Joop ;) you're away on the 1st :lol:

Yes I think they mad! The first time my lad did it, he pushed himself so hard he was vomiting en route :o and he says he enjoys it :shock:

If you're fairly local down South, the Brighton marathon is easier to get a place on than the London and its getting to be a very popular event .... Definitely growing ;)?
#4 on the 2020 Challenge

damson

Post by damson » 17 Oct 2012 13:36

Not long back from about a 4 mile walk in about an hour and a quarter. It was over very varied terrain, coast paths, fields and woods but we have had SO much rain at one point we were in mud over our shoes and as it was a steep slope down, I did that extremely slowly :D it was horrible.

But we lived to tell the tale and it's a beautiful day. I'm starting a log since yesterday of walks and times and distances. I used to do that when I was running and it's great to look back on. Can't run at the moment cos too heavy and knees couldn't take the strain :oops:

That is my long term aim to get back to being able to jog. Dunno if it's realistic but it's a goal to aim for!

Well done every one, i'm really chuffed to see how busy this thread is, hope it continues (::)

Sheila

Post by Sheila » 17 Oct 2012 14:48

Moi :o ..... in the rain :o ..... no way! Now Damson, she went for a walk in the rain ;)
#4 on the 2020 Challenge

Pineapple
Last Drink Date: 04 Aug 2013

Post by Pineapple » 17 Oct 2012 23:24

Oh I am going to love this thread for swapping tips and advice and for gaining motivation.

I am currently coming back from injury but have a hill race scheduled for the end of the month.

I do enjoy road running but off road totally focuses the mind in a different way. There is no space for anything else as you have to watch every footstep. This really does help in sobriety as the negative voice in my head has no space.

P x
If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain.
-- Dolly Parton

CJ

Post by CJ » 18 Oct 2012 08:27

I love food and love the fact that when I run regularly I don't have to limit what I eat ( weight wise). I do try and eat fairly healthily mind, although the odd snacks creep in :oops: I do try and eat more longer lasting carbs nowadays, and have been quite surprised what a difference to a run it makes it I have eaten well the day before!
I cannot run if I have recently eaten though!
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

Johnson

Post by Johnson » 18 Oct 2012 10:58

Hi Guys....

I have been running since i was 18 years of age because i had over weight issue since that but the problem was that i are irregular my training . I am currently on 156lbs and want to reduce weight . I am getting hard for my target . Any ideas would be appreciated .
Last edited by Mark. on 21 Oct 2012 11:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removal of unauthorised link

Marina

Post by Marina » 19 Oct 2012 07:07

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie but just wanted to say I love the idea of this thread. The one exercise that I have done fairly consistently is walking. When I am not drinking I walk nearly everyday, but when the drink gets a hold its harder to get motivated. Haven't walked for a while but my goal now is one hour on the treadmill everyday and try to increase speed as days go by. I'll be crawling at first but you have to start somewhere, right? I don't walk on the street anymore because I've been bitten twice by rather large dogs. It must be my ample thighs that attracts them!
Joop regarding the beet root juice. If you have a juicer one medium raw beet root with two carrots and two sticks of celery is fantastic. Great blood cleanser and really yummy. Throw in a small knob of ginger for added benefit.

Marina

Marina

Post by Marina » 20 Oct 2012 08:00

Hi Joop,
5.5 k's fantastic effort (::) Running is a distant memory for me I'm afraid. I did 5k walk on the treadmill. It took a bit longer than an hour so basically I was pretty slow. I'm going to do 5k everyday next week and WILL improve.
Going back to the gym on Monday. I've had a membership there for 5 years and used it probably a quarter of that time. When I'm not drinking I'm at the gym but when I am drinking....well, you know the rest.
Hello Damson,
You did really well with that long walk on uneven terrain in the rain - sounds like a really good workout. Thanks for the thread, it's helping to keep me motivated on the health side of sobriety. (::)

Marina

Marina

Post by Marina » 21 Oct 2012 03:43

Hey walkers and runners,

Did my hour walking again today, this time down at the beach. Lovely day, quite windy so lots of wind surfers around. Still committed to one hour of walking every day this week. How is everyone else going?

Marina

CJ

Post by CJ » 21 Oct 2012 09:57

I have one week before my big run. A week of resting and carb loading. Feeling very nervous- this is the biggest and longest run I have ever done. and it will even be on TV- channel 5. I shall be wearing a blue vest ;)

behindblueeyes

Post by behindblueeyes » 21 Oct 2012 21:26

Ohhhh CJ.....hope the carb loading goes ok this week! Am sure your race will be fun....just think when you get to the end how really proud of yourself you'll feel....

Will be looking out for your blue vest and cheering you on!

<:)>