Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Practical Advice About Detox and Getting Sober

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Re: Practical Advice About Detox and Getting Sober

Post by smudge » 20 Nov 2016 14:14

janey12 wrote:Hi, can anyone advise me on Gamma Levels. Hubby trying to stop drinking, Gamma result came back at 116 (almost double what it should be I think the GP said). If he manages to stop drinking, will it take long to get back to what it should be or is there a chance it won't go down. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Hi janey12,

Gamma GT is measured by doctors when they suspect a patient may have liver disease. It is particularly sensitive to the kind of damage that occurs in heavy drinkers and alcoholics, but can also be high in other diseases and when taking some kinds of drugs. As long as the only cause of your husband's GGT being raised is drinking too much and the damage isn't permanent, then stopping will reduce it to normal within just a few weeks.

Some links you might want to read :

http://labtestsonline.org.uk/understand ... /tab/test/

http://labtestsonline.org.uk/understand ... t/tab/faq/

One point you should know - a GGT level which is double the normal level is a massive warning sign. But to put it into context, some people on this forum have mentioned having levels which are in the hundreds, and their levels drop eventually if they stop drinking. So your husband has a very good chance of recovery if he stops drinking.

P.S. I have no medical training.
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

janey12

Post by janey12 » 21 Nov 2016 13:02

Thank you Smudge. Your advice is much appreciated.

myalcoholdetox

Post by myalcoholdetox » 28 Nov 2016 20:12

Among all the other methods of alcohol detox I'd like to share a pleasant one.

It is an Alcohol Detox Bath.

Throw 3 Tbsp of sea salt and 1-2 Tbsp of conifer Essence Oil (like cedar oil for instance) in a bath.

It will help soothe and lower the mental pressure and also neutralize the alcohol effects on the body.

Hope it will help someone!

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 26 Jan 2017 10:28

I thought I'd bump this. It's worthwhile going back to page 1 of the thread.
Rachel

Songlian

Post by Songlian » 26 Jan 2017 20:13

Usefully bumped Rachel but please don't put 1-2 tbsp a of cedar(wood) oil in a bath. That should read a few drops, 5 at the most. Essential oils are powerful stuff and should be used with caution.

To bath in Epsom salts, is also good, even a footbath, as this is a good way to absorb magnesium without risking an upset tummy.

Best wishes

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 26 Jan 2017 23:59

Essential oil are VERY powerful. I'm nursing a dreadful headache from too many drops of pure peppermint oil on my tempes yetsredy and 3 drops in hot water as a tea... way too strong.

Be careful everyone xx

beingheretherapy

Post by beingheretherapy » 09 Sep 2017 12:47

One suggestion I have from experience is to keep yourself active doing other things, different than what you would do if you were to drink.

Good luck all :)
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. - Lao Tzu

Therapy, counselling and alternative medicine

Brit
Last Drink Date: 01 May 2019

Re: Practical Advice Alcohol Withdrawal - Headaches

Post by Brit » 29 May 2018 19:44

Hi, please tell me if posting in wrong place! ;)?

I've been sober since May 1st, after years and years of heavy drinking, and around three years of daily drinking. (Small amounts, all day, every day. First thing in the morning till last thing at night.)

I physically feel fine apart from these awful headaches. Has anyone else experienced these? It can't be a coincidence that they arrived the same time as the alcohol went. Frontal, migrainy, sinusy, sometimes at back of head/nape (especially at night) I wake every morning with a sore head and it hangs around vaguely all day. Pain killers don't touch them.

... advice appreciated before I start thinking I have a brain tumour. :?
Brit
Annie Grace : 'This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness and Change your Life' (kindle on Amazon)
Allen Carr : The Only Way To Control Alcohol

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 29 May 2018 20:35

Brit wrote:Hi, please tell me if posting in wrong place! ;)?

I've been sober since May 1st, after years and years of heavy drinking, and around three years of daily drinking. (Small amounts, all day, every day. First thing in the morning till last thing at night.)

I physically feel fine apart from these awful headaches. Has anyone else experienced these? It can't be a coincidence that they arrived the same time as the alcohol went. Frontal, migrainy, sinusy, sometimes at back of head/nape (especially at night) I wake every morning with a sore head and it hangs around vaguely all day. Pain killers don't touch them.

Brit
I had a pretty constant headache for weeks after stopping drinking, although not as bad as you describe. I did have something very similar when I broke a coffee habit some years ago though - caffeine withdrawal was much worse than I'd expected!
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 29 May 2018 20:39

Brit wrote:Hi, please tell me if posting in wrong place! ;)?

Brit
Have you been to GP about this ?
It could be something simple, although painful, like a sinus infection, my husband had that not long ago and it was causing him trouble for weeks !
Well done on sober front, someone else will be along soon with better advice I'm sure , just wanted to answer your post ;)?
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 30 May 2018 08:22

Hi Brit,

Well done on the not drinking! (::)

Like Sally, I had headaches quite a lot after I first gave up drinking. At least, I started noticing headaches more then - before, I'd just put all of them down to hangovers. So, I don't really know if they were caused by giving up, or whether they were due to something else - diet, work/sleep patterns and so on. But they did pass.

As Lush says, if you're in any doubt, do consult a GP as it could well be something like an infection or something else that the doctor can identify ;)?

Best wishes,
Mark
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 30 May 2018 09:34

Brit

Post by Brit » 30 May 2018 22:37

Jjjj of Old wrote:Hi Brit,

Well done on the not drinking! (::)

Like Sally, I had headaches quite a lot after I first gave up drinking. At least, I started noticing headaches more then - before, I'd just put all of them down to hangovers. So, I don't really know if they were caused by giving up, or whether they were due to something else - diet, work/sleep patterns and so on. But they did pass.

As Lush says, if you're in any doubt, do consult a GP as it could well be something like an infection or something else that the doctor can identify ;)?

Best wishes,
Mark

Thanks Mark. Appreciated.
Brit
Annie Grace : 'This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness and Change your Life' (kindle on Amazon)

Brit

Post by Brit » 30 May 2018 22:37

pickles wrote:Hello Brit, there were a couple of articles, one thread from BE.

https://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/ ... l+symptoms

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=476

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how ... st--426010

That might help .

Thanks Pickles...again, appreciated.
Brit

Pikkles
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2019
First Sober Date: 14 Apr 2019

Post by Pikkles » 15 Apr 2019 19:12

I used to have a good vocabulary but I now have constant difficulty finding the right words. This is not particularly noticeable in writing, but is noticeable when I talk to someone.

Hi Smudge, i came across this statement you made. I have had this for about a year, and it's getting worse, i thought it was just age. I will be asking for something or telling my husband to pass my something, or whatever, and i just don't have the word in my brain. I know what i want to say, but it's just not there, and the more i try to describe it, the less words i can think of. I'm actually quite worried about it. Do you think it is alcohol abuse related? Or lack of B1 thiamine?? :cry:
just trying to be the best i can \:)/