Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Re: The To Do List

Post by pickles » 06 Feb 2020 09:01

Morning to doers . Jj hope you manage to sort your shifts.i can imagine it being tiring and confusing on the body clock. Agree with what Action said . Ha, I just looked on games thread ...that’s really going back ,Ned’s Atomic Dustbin !

You are creative and organised,Danny ;)?

Action, I’m very clumsy with my glasses . Sometimes I had put them in my back pocket and sat down :oops: ,once a contact lens fell into a radio/ tape recorder ,the tape deck . Couldn’t find it after that ,but the tapes suddenly started chewing ....hope things go well with your camera .

Rachel, hope the ‘date ‘ goes well . aj enjoy your day ,and hello John, hope all ok .

I’m sat in middle room with ironing board...stopped when it came to the duvet covers . Younger dog is on the sofa ,junior prefers the rug .

I did go and choose a pair of glasses yesterday, I do need an extra pair . The weather has been horrid the last couple of days so there is no sign of finding other glasses . I bet when I have bought the pair, they will suddenly turn up . Have to have a little correction. Had quite a few questions from the optician...when I answered an important one ,he was ‘oh,I see’ but very nice about it .

Today daughter’s at school ,tomorrow she isn’t and then it’s already the weekend !

And junior has made a discovery of lying on waiting to be ironed duvet cover !
Last edited by pickles on 07 Feb 2020 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 06 Feb 2020 09:21

Morning

My word. You're all so busy so early.

Jjjjj I like shifts. It's a treat to have days off and feel justified doing nothing because you're working later. Not sure if I'd enjoy working after midnight though. Except - I have done night shifts in the past. (Got very drunk at an all night party once. Doing the tannoy announcements in the morning was .... interesting).

Pickles, always the way. Clean clothes are the most comfortable to lie on.

Aj your enthusiasm for a new house project astonishes me. I've been toying with the idea of a new kitchen. And the more I think of the upheaval involved, the less excited I feel.

I wish I could see my house through all your eyes. There is nothing organised about it at all. I've spent over an hour looking for an old service leaflet for the new vicar. In my mind's eye, I've seen it recently. Not where I expected to find it.

To do
See magnet about plans/designs for the kitchen. Tell them I have to leave for work. Which is a lie as I'm still signed off.
Do some gardening while the sun shines. I cut a lawn yesterday. Be good to cut another today.
Plan a holiday. Perhaps fly to Glasgow for a few days of culture?

Have a good day y'all
be selfish in your sobriety.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 06 Feb 2020 10:49

We could do with a new kitchen. The (not very attractive) outer frames (the things the doors and drawer fronts are attached to rather than the more fundmental framework) for the units are beginning to come away. Yes, the disruption is off-putting, affect on cats, but most of all the cost...!

I am wondering if we could get away with having the fronts of things and doors replaced. It would be criminal to discard the black granite work tops, surely.
What I really want doing is to have the wooden floor sadned and polished. It's not the original one, but a apparently it's a good quality one. It's very stained. We have a freestanding huge larder cupboard that had to be re-consturucted in situ as it won't go through the door. I suppose we could have the floor sanded around it...

Could do with a new bathroom too, but husband is afraid they might find something awful (sagging floor etc.) if we do. (Plus he doesn't like spending money on the house unless we really have to.)

I have a sabbatical next year (= an extra 60 days' annual leave) so I suppose I could be around if we did have things done...
Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 06 Feb 2020 13:29

60 days sabbatical 😍

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 06 Feb 2020 13:43

I was offered a sabbatical when my daughter moved to Northern Ireland I immediately thought 'they're trying to get rid of me."

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Feb 2020 15:01

aj wrote:
06 Feb 2020 13:29
60 days sabbatical 😍
May have got my sums wrong, but = about 3 months in total including weekends and annual leave. We (all) have one every seven years.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 06 Feb 2020 15:04

As a bribe to keep you there for seven years, it works for me!

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Feb 2020 15:08

Not sure they want to keep me, but it's enshrined in the handbook (for now...) Their get out clause is to claim that someone doesn't deserve one, but I don't think they've ever done this.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 07 Feb 2020 07:43

I love the idea of a 7 year sabbatical. Going to suggest that to our management. I suspect their answer would be "if you want a sabbatical, take one." I'm not indispensable. Is it paid?

To do
Doctor's at 8 to collect sick note
Walk dog at 9, meet up with work colleague. Must try and listen more, rather than use the listening space to plan what I want to say next. EDIT. And she's just cancelled on me. Which was no surprise at all. She doesn't often stick to arrangements, even when they've been her suggestion (which this was). I also know she likes a drop of wine, and recognise my hung over cancellations.
Card making at 10. Who has a birthday/anniversary/get well occasion coming up?
Phone a friend. See if she fancies an afternoon tea somewhere

Have a good day y'all

aj

Post by aj » 07 Feb 2020 08:17

I’m not sure I’d know what do with a 60 day sabbatical, procrastinate all the way through it probably.

All this talk of new kitchens has got me thinking ‘Do I need one’?

To do:
Usual
C25k 8/1 \:)/

Have a good day everybody
Last edited by aj on 07 Feb 2020 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Action

Post by Action » 07 Feb 2020 09:00

Morning Everyone :\:

A six month sabbatical sounds like a great opportunity to do something completely different or something you’ve dreamed of doing.

To Do
Walk baby
Washing
Lunch
Illustration
Hoover car (if I can be bothered - might be absorbed in illustration) :lol:
Hoover House (if I can be bothered - might be absorbed in illustration) :lol:
Online shop
Dinner
Shower
Relax
Bed

Have a good one everyone.
Hope your friends up for afternoon tea Danny!
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 07 Feb 2020 11:50

Yes it's paid, but I won't be taking it all in one go. You can also claim money in lieu if you want. I imagine when the owner dies/bows out we may lose this privilege.
The only down side is that for at least couple of years after, it feels like you never have enough annual leave. Of course my husband doesn't have a sabbatical (and he rarely takes all his annual leave anyway.) It's almost a pity he's not still in Germany - I could have lived with him for a bit. However there are cats to consider. I suppose I may be going away on my own next year. If I can afford it, maybe some/a writing or photography retreat/holiday. If I could drive, I could have had a free writing retreat in our house in France, but I'd probably go loopy with no one to talk to for days on end. I suppose I could do one of those intensive learn to drive courses :? :shock:

Ah there's a thought - how much time we can spend in Europe per year may be limited after Brexit proper.

to do today:
work
leave at 4
(washing)
weekend!
(Maybe watch Picard before husband gets home.)

I hope everyone's day is going ok.
Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 08 Feb 2020 08:07

Saturday again, so it’s Spanish pharmacist day, I should be fluent in Spanish by now but alas Saturdays have become so busy that there’s no time for anything, only work.

To do:
Work half day \/
Tesco flowers to buy \/
Walk doggy \/
Read/essay etc \/
Wash dishes \/
Mum’s for tea \/

As usual as it gets near an assignment deadline I panic about not knowing enough but also get fed up of reading the same stuff over and over. So rather than just get on and write the essay (because I feel I don’t know enough and haven’t had the aha moment) I start faffing about. Last evening after work I decided in the wake of all this kitchen talk to mess around with mine. I took down a mirror that I thought would make it look bigger, it obviously didn’t, moved the table against the wall, took down pictures, moved pictures, cleared surfaces, moved lamps, added some houseplants and all of a sudden I have a completely different room.

Still need to do something about the four day dishes though 🤔

Have a good day everyone <:)>
Last edited by aj on 08 Feb 2020 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Action

Post by Action » 08 Feb 2020 08:51

Morning All.

Crikey aj, you certainly had a spurt of energy yesterday. I love it when you transform a room just by giggling things about a bit.
A writing retreat sounds absolutely wonderful Rachel. French drivers ... I haven’t driven in France but have memories nightmares about the roads over there (rural and Paris).

Well have things planned for the garden today. Going to try and make the most of the sun before it disappears and we are hit with the storm.

To Do
Walk Dog
Late lunch/early breakfast
Weed garden
Cut grass
Hoover car
Dinner
Shower
Collapse in front of tv (probably watch the voice)
Bed

Have a good one everyone. ;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 08 Feb 2020 09:10

There are few cars on the roads near our French place, Action, but slow-driving farm vehicles are an issue.

AJ I am intrigued that you have (wall space for) pictures and a mirror in your kitchen!

I can do nothing to rearrange my kitchen and if I had a brand new one I don't think it could be done much differently, alas. One side of it is what was once the external wall on the side of the house (Kind of still is. Glass and small wall covers the side alley) and has two windows, shelving on the bit of wall between. Another wall is the external wall overlooking the back and has a window, and the boiiler on the bit that's not a window. A third wall has kitchen units and the 4th is a 'false' wall where the room was divided to make a downstairs loo. The kitchen has two doors, and two odd 'beams' that restrict what one can do. There are also some alarming cracks, which I hope are to do with the now-fixed once-collapsing balcony above and not getting wider...

I need to make a physical to do list today. Lots to catch up on from being away last weekend. Washing, cleaning, tidying.
Also need to take computer to get fan looked at. It's overheating. \/ it was chocka with cat hair.
pick up meds for Basil \/
risk assessment of garden prior to tomorrow's storm - take plants etc. under cover \/
maybe a small shop as may not want to go out tomorrow \/
order meds for me \/
other things
Still need to reboil marmalade. Tomorrow maybe.

I hoep everyone has a good day.
Last edited by Rachel on 08 Feb 2020 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 08 Feb 2020 11:44

Morning

And I think it's Saturday.
Done
Washed up
Emptied fridge
Cooking sausages, mash and cabbage for lunch (missed breakfast)
Chopped veg/fruit for dig's meal later.

To do
Garden
I bought lilies yesterday, because February is a good month to plant them.
Walk dog.

My mum died over 40 years ago. Today I really miss her, and would move nearer if I could.

Wave to y'all \:)/ \:)/ Have a good day.

aj

Post by aj » 09 Feb 2020 09:39

<:)> Danny.

Windy and rainy.

To do:
Try and start essay - I have all day 😞
Try and walk dog sometime

I have C25k 8/2 to do today not sure if that’s going to be feasible, but maybe with the wind behind me 🤔. I am (dare I say it) enjoying it. I have never been a sporty person at all, and if it involved any kind of exertion you could count me out. But many years ago I read a book by Jane Tomlinson and then I was hooked, running and everything running related became a passion, the only problem was I knew everything about it, but was not actually doing it. I think I have read nearly every book (apart from the technical ones) there is on running, joined a forum for women only runners and revelled in their achievements and loved nothing more than meeting new locums at work who ran, all the while talking the talk but not achieving the walk (run😉). A couple of times a year I would attempt the C25k and not get past week 5, enter and pay for races I would not attend and twice I entered a 10k, the first time was a complete and utter disaster I might tell that story one day, the second time I walked it.
Why?
Because I wanted that feeling that everyone kept talking about, that runners high, I wanted to be that person that got up early on a weekend and got stuff done.
Two years ago one of my favourite colleagues was moving abroad to work and before she left she gave me a water bottle for when ‘I ran’, I told her that when I had finally graduated the C25k I would send her a photo of me holding her gift, I think finally next week I shall be able to do that.😁

Sobriety has a lot to answer for. ❤️

Have a great day everyone <:)>

aj

Post by aj » 09 Feb 2020 09:50

Rachel re-kitchen, it’s not a big one but square, two doors and one very large window that looks onto next doors grey wall hence not much light. As the kitchen is L-shaped with cabinets on one wall only, I have a lot of wall space, not a lot of storage but enough for me I guess. In my last house I had a very big kitchen but chose not to have wall cabinets just one large freestanding cupboard to use as a larder. I’m not that fond of wall cabinets, but I suppose they make sense.

I do need to find a way to make the space outside the kitchen window brighter and more cheerful to look at.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 09 Feb 2020 10:04

I hope I didn't sound rude, AJ. Afterwards I was pondering on why I have not wall room and thinking about previous kitchens. Last one was so tiny there was only room for two cupboards on one wall and nothing below. The opposite wall was the sink and window, and the other two walls were only a door's width, so a back door took up one and a cooker, the other. I had about 1.5 foiot's worth of work surface!

In spite of my windows, my current kitchen is not that light. One lot look into the now covered area down the side of the house. I have recently had fluorescent light fittings under the wall cupboars changed to LEDs. It's great. (Although they show up all imperfections and non-clean bits of the wall next to them!)

to do
um shower and get dressed :o
get washing out of machine, put more on
After that, not sure! It's not nice out.
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 09 Feb 2020 10:05

Danny <:)>
Rachel