Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
aj

Re: The To Do List

Post by aj » 19 Oct 2019 23:17

Chester would be our closest city, big day out usually saved for big occasions such as Christmas shopping 🛍 🎅 😉

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 20 Oct 2019 09:02

I've not been round it often, as one doesn't when visiting parents/in laws, although I am ashamed to say I haven't visited her for a long time. We are going the weekend after next... :?
My plan today is to go and do a bit of gardening very shortly. I hope it's not too cold out. It's certainly a bit misty. Am going to chuck out some tomato plants. I wonder if I will get any help. He wants them gone, but he's watching rugby.
After this, would be nice to go out for lunch/a bit of shopping. I am not supposed to buy things but...
A nap
In all of this, try not to think about work or other things that stoke my anxiety.
Right. Washing load no.1 now on. No. 2 to go in. No.3 maybe. The basket is still pretty full :o I must have done about 5 loads already this week. Holiday and guest's bedding and towels washing plus husband's clothes are very big! On my way up to my mother's the other week, I overheard someone telling her friend that she only puts washing on once a month.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 20 Oct 2019 10:52

If I re-located I would end up back between Chester and Manchester :) . Note the word ‘back’ ;) .

I was going to make a post about anxiety the beginning of the week. I have had that sensation of racing heartbeat for almost two weeks now and it won’t go away. On a day to day basis it hasn’t really bothered me but doing that thinking ahead thing that we do, I have already started worrying about planned holidays. This year has already seen me pay to get on a second flight to Madrid and dry heave my way to a sailing course only forty miles from home.

Anyway without getting into it because the panic attacks are so hit and miss, yesterday I decided that I might just be slightly anaemic, I have not eaten meat in almost two years which I know isn’t a problem but the rest of my diet has not been that great. I decided to go to the pharmacy hoping my boss would be working and ask for some high strength Ferrous fumerate only to find out it was someone I’d never met. Once committed I had to explain to her why I was there knowing there was no way that she was going to give them to me. Instead she said to go to the local A&E or phone out of hours, I could have an irregular heartbeat duh.
I’ll just have to wait until tomorrow and try and continue to eat properly (something I have looked at already improving this week).

All I know is anxiety is the absolute pits so <:)> to all that experience it.

Washing, humph I thought I probably did it once a month but I think it might actually be once every two weeks. Two loads. Uniform, pj’s and fitness wear (😂 fitness wear, I use the term loosely- maybe the term lounge wear would be more apt).

To do:
Walk dog listen to coffee break Spanish
Put washing out ;)?
Read/notes I have been reading The Spanish Tragedy I love it
Watch a play, maybe Twelfth Night

Have a good day everyone.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 21 Oct 2019 10:29

Morning, all \:)/

<:)> <:)> to AJ and Rachel, as regards the anxiety. I hate the racing-heart feeling and unfocused fear that comes with it. AJ, I hope that a change of diet helps, and also that you get on well today if you seek advice for it.
aj wrote:
19 Oct 2019 08:27
Never read or listened to Under Milk Wood, but those first few lines are quite gripping narrated by Mr Burton. I shall listen more, thanks for that
It's a cracking listen! I absolutely love it - it's good for a cold, dark winter evening. There are quite a lot of lines from it that I find myself quoting regularly, often inopportunely like when I try to stop the dog from barking by saying: "Hush, love - I'm widower Waldo now" in an appalling Welsh accent... Or chanting "There is no leg belonging to the foot that belongs to this shoe" for absolutely no reason whatsoever :oops:

That's fascinating about your childhood move from England to north Wales.
DannyD wrote:
19 Oct 2019 10:12
I was born in Wales and was moved before I spoke anything. Wish I could speak Welsh
Funny that you and AJ should have moved in different directions, D!
Rachel wrote:
19 Oct 2019 15:39
My husband's from North Wales, AJ. But only just over the border - Chester way. The only word he seems to know in Welsh is for chips.
I was thinking of your husband yesterday, Rachel! He'll be enjoying the rugby? Obviously, I want England to win the World Cup but I'd be delighted if Wales did it instead. Just a bit worried that, age-wise, they may have peaked slightly too soon. But they have a great chance of reaching the final by beating South Africa.

To do:
After a weekend at work, Monday becomes Sunday - a day of rest, but including...
Ring parents
Walk dog
Buy fly spray
Watch The Sweeney (latest dinnertime treat)
Bath, book, bed

I hope everyone's day goes well <:)>
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Action

Post by Action » 21 Oct 2019 11:29

Morning All...hope all is good with you. <:)>

Despite absence I have been writing my to do lists ;)?

To Do:
Get up ... been incredibly lazy this morning :oops:
Get dressed and freshen up
Make lunch for mum and partner
Have a bit of a tidy up
Make healthy dinner
Shower
Eat dinner
Watch a bit of tv (sober)
Bed
Book ;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 Oct 2019 14:25

Husband was watching rugby yesterday morning, while I slaved in the garden Jjjjj... ;) I did nearly three hours - got rid of all tomato plants, sweet corn, carted pots and water tanks down to the bottom of the garden (several 100 ft trips) and tidied the patio area. Still quite a bit to chuck out, but not sure where to chuck it now. I got a bit of very cross help towards the end :D

AJ, could you get a blood test? I didn't know anaemia caused palpitations (?)

It rather annoys me that we are encouraged to ask pharmacists rather than go to the doctor's who then usually refer us to the doctor's, the receptionists of whom often refer us to walk in centres at the hospital. But I guess there are people who do actually go to the doctor's for things that pharmacists can help with, and I have just gone with things which they can't... :shock:

Gardening helped mood/anxiety yesterday up to a point, but returned to keep me awake until 4am. Even warm milk at 2am didn't work. So very tired today.

to do
more work.
go home
ring mother as per almost always.
I was going to make the hearty winter casserole with herby and horseradish dumplings tonight, that I was going to make yesterday. Maybe a case of mañana. But I will do it this week. I will!
early night

Ooh I am reading Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane at the mo. Started Friday almost finished, alas. Am loving it. Dislike the man, love this book.

Action \:)/ I hope you are ok.

I hope everyone's day is going ok.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 21 Oct 2019 15:24

Action wrote:
21 Oct 2019 11:29
Despite absence I have been writing my to do lists
Really good to see you again, Action \:)/ <:)>
Rachel wrote:
21 Oct 2019 14:25
Ooh I am reading Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane at the mo. Started Friday almost finished, alas. Am loving it. Dislike the man, love this book.
That's interesting! I haven't read his stuff and don't know a huge amount about him. What's good about the book, but bad about the man? Genuinely really interested :)
Rachel wrote:
21 Oct 2019 14:25
I was going to make the hearty winter casserole with herby and horseradish dumplings tonight, that I was going to make yesterday. Maybe a case of mañana. But I will do it this week. I will!
That sounds amazing! :D

To done:
1) Sorted out some OT shifts at the shop
2) Rang parents
3) Walked dog
4) Forgot to buy fly spray
5) Half-began to choose songs to practise for session on Friday
6) Received through the mail my new titfer! (A peaky blinder - I only ordered it on Saturday!)

To do:
1) Stop dreaming/drooling about hearty winter casseroles with herby and horseradish dumplings

I hope everyone has a lovely evening ;)?

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 Oct 2019 16:40

Jjjj of Old wrote:
21 Oct 2019 15:24
That's interesting! I haven't read his stuff and don't know a huge amount about him. What's good about the book, but bad about the man? Genuinely really interested :)
The man: he comes over as unbearably smug and thus a bit arrogant in interview, and also in conversation with his friend, David Mitchell of Cloud Atlas fame, when I went to see them a few years back. David Mitchell comes over as being the opposite... but I have not, so far, managed to read any of his books. I have tried...

The book. Quite simply written (from the perspective of a child - him, I guess) but fantastical. I am a sucker for fantastical. Old magic mixed with everyday stuff. Not sure if this is a children's book or not. It's so hard to tell these days... ;) The only other one by him I have read is Neverwhere, which I also loved. I have dipped into his short stories. He's not written that many entirely original novels, I think, but various retellings/reworkings. And comics, of course.
He is, I think, phenomenally successful.
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 Oct 2019 18:54

Jjj... your enthusiasm for casserole and dumplings rubbed off on me and I was all set to do it when I noticed that the recipe says 'cook for two hours'. This is on top of prep time, so I think this is one for the weekend, or, if I manage to have a day working at home as requested, but not responded to ( :shock: ), then. OH is working late tonight anyway.

But what to have, now, instead?
Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 21 Oct 2019 20:49

Hi all, I have the tablets so am going to try until the end of the week if no change will just go to the surgery. My B/P and everything is fine, so just eliminating stuff, to be honest Rachel it was the only thing I could tie it down to. My first was the menopause but I am not anxious at all, so just could not understand why my heart feels like it’s racing continuously. Annoying more than anything. We’ll see.

Rugby I’m not a great fan although I did travel down to Cardiff on a few occasions when I was in my twenties to watch games, don’t remember the games much only the drinking. A couple of the girls from then still go :) . If I do end up watching a big game and it’s England vs Wales I am always torn, so usually go for the underdog.

Do you like Phillip Pullman Rachel? I cannot wait to see version of Northern Lights coming up on BBC, anyone else going to watch it ? The local high school’s claim to fame is that he went to school there.

The casserole with herby dumplings does sound delicious, I can actually smell it. I love dumplings but cannot remember when I last had them, actually I do, last Christmas, that was our replacement for Turkey, a fish pie thing with dumplings.

Hope you enjoyed your Monday weekend Jjjj. ;)?

So that’s me done, work, read, note took, dog walked, tea eaten, kitchen cleaned. I’m going to find something to watch on Netflix.

Night folks.

Action

Post by Action » 22 Oct 2019 00:17

Aj.... this was my first night sober for a long while \:)/
I watched the whole first series of Unbelievable on Netflix this evening. It was really good, completely absorbing. Have you seen it?

Not a strenuous list today but everything ticked off :D
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

aj

Post by aj » 22 Oct 2019 08:30

Hi Action, :\: yes I have watched it and it’s very good, thought provoking and anger inducing all at the same time the acting was brilliant. I googled the women detectives after and it’s quite amazing how they got the right actors for the parts. Although I do like Toni Colette.
When I moved into this house two years ago I decided not to watch TV, and Netflix was an account I had via my sons partner, when I scrawled through I used to think full of rubbish for teens, until I started watching The Crown, then that was it :lol: . It’s still full of rubbish but there are some hidden gems, Ozark is one of my favourites, and in the summer I watched Peaky Blinders from the beginning and that is just WOW.

The Crown is back in a few weeks and the investiture scenes shot twenty miles from here. I remember my mum taking us to stand on the road to watch the Queen pass through on her way to the castle. \:)/

Congratulations on your sober evening Action I wish you so many many more ❤️

Have a good day all <:)>

Action

Post by Action » 22 Oct 2019 09:25

Morning Everyone!

Toni Collette is brilliant isn’t she. It was quality viewing.

To Do
Collect and take mum to hearing test ... finally ;)?
Phone hospital to rearrange appointment and service of equipment
Cut partners hair
Food shopping
Water plants
Cook dins
Shower
Eat dinner
Tv
Bed
Book
Stay Sober! ;)?

Last edited by Action on 22 Oct 2019 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
#38 on 2020 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 22 Oct 2019 09:50

Morning, all \:)/

Rachel wrote:
21 Oct 2019 16:40
The man: he comes over as unbearably smug and thus a bit arrogant in interview, and also in conversation with his friend, David Mitchell of Cloud Atlas fame, when I went to see them a few years back. David Mitchell comes over as being the opposite... but I have not, so far, managed to read any of his books. I have tried...
Thanks, Rachel. I was aware of his success but didn't know very much about him. Interesting that he comes across as smug and arrogant. Coincidentally, similar things were being said the other day on an FB RoS group page about Anthony Horowitz. Got to admit, I find him slightly annoying in interviews but was still surprised to find that others felt the same, although I feel a bit guilty as he might be lovely, for all I know.
aj wrote:
21 Oct 2019 20:49
I have the tablets so am going to try until the end of the week if no change will just go to the surgery. My B/P and everything is fine, so just eliminating stuff, to be honest Rachel it was the only thing I could tie it down to. My first was the menopause but I am not anxious at all, so just could not understand why my heart feels like it’s racing continuously. Annoying more than anything. We’ll see.
I really hope the tablets help, AJ ;)? <:)>
aj wrote:
21 Oct 2019 20:49
If I do end up watching a big game and it’s England vs Wales I am always torn, so usually go for the underdog.
I like that! I went to Twickenham a few times in my teens - always great fun, whether or not England won. I think we lost to Wales one year, but beat Scotland. I ought to have the programmes somewhere - though where, I'm not quite sure.
Action wrote:
22 Oct 2019 00:17
Aj.... this was my first night sober for a long while
Excellent work, Action! (::)

We don't watch a lot of TV, so I've missed all the series you two are talking about. We do tend to watch old repeats, though, around dinner time. Having sat through the whole of Tenko (twice), we're now watching The Sweeney, and also Pride & Prejudice. For some reason, I never saw that first time around, but I'm really enjoying it!

To do:
1) Walk dog via shop and buy razors
2) Work on a couple of songs for Friday's session, although I may not go since I agreed yesterday to work the really early shift at work on Saturday
3) Ought to do some housework since wife is out for most of the day, but... it's tempting to leave this until tomorrow
4) General admin
5) Dinner, bath, book, bed

I hope everyone has a good day ;)?

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 23 Oct 2019 09:17

Morning. Sorry I did write a post yesterday responding to things, but it's gone.

Action, well done on your sober day. I hope you managed to repeat it, but if not, perhaps tonight.

AJ I hope you are feeling a bit better.

Jjjj I keep forgetting about my Tenko box set. I wonder if I can remember how to use the DVD player.

Do you remember the Duchess of Duke street. I think you might be too young. It was on a loop on cable tv a while back (er actually quite a while back. Drinking days.) I watched it 1.5 times. Period drama with Gemma Jones. Not really connected except that's probably the last time I had the equivalent of a 'vintage' big box set thing going. And it's good.

Today I am working from home to slaughter some philosophy. I am a bit panicky. I shouldn't be. It's not like I have a tutorial or an exam coming up, but it feels that way.
I shall try not to do anything else, but may have to do some vacuuming. Also intend to make the casserole. (not much prep time, just lots of cooking time.)
I have put some washing on, I confess, and cleared out my sleeveless summer tops drawer to make way for winter tights... Alas bedroom is assuming jumble sale vibes again. But that's for another day.
I may be on my own this weekend. Husband is currently deciding whether or not to go to France (on his own) this weekend as yet another pre-Brexit thing but also of course to check that the house is ok. (I will be giving him a shopping list too if he goes.) But he has a Birtwistle opera on Friday.

Hmm. Birtwistle or France? I know which one I'd chose. But then I'd choose Basingstoke over Birtwhistle. (No offence intended to Basingstoke-lovers.)

I might slip in a bit of writing. I had an idea last night… In theory I am on a writing roll at the moment, but in practise I am not. Inspiration and inclination, but not enough time.

Right. It's almost offical work time and I intended to start early.I had better crack on. :shock:

I hope everyone has good day.
Rachel

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 23 Oct 2019 09:30

Morning

Yesterday I picked up some one's sit-and-knit shift. (There's not a lot to do on these shifts). Started some crochet. Today I shall have to be firm with myself and pull some undone.

It was lovely weather yesterday, so I managed some gardening. Planted daffs and cyclamen.

Today

Walk the dog
Tidy house?
Work

I've not been sleeping well. I might try to leave electronic devices out of the bedroom.

Have a good day y'all
be selfish in your sobriety.

aj

Post by aj » 23 Oct 2019 10:24

Hello to all, I’m not sure I could sit through a repeat series of anything, especially anything dated. Although when my daughters’s home I’ll often find myself watching Friends with her, but then that never seems to date.
Of course when I was drinking it would be a whole different matter, I’d watch stuff repeatedly like The Royale Family and Car Share (which I loved) and sob my drunken little heart out. I remember watching one episode of Car Share and son number two ( in his twenties) asking me ‘Why are you crying so much’? ‘It just makes me so sad’ wails back I, and then he said ‘It’s because Peter Kay reminds you of Dad doesn’t it’ and then of course I had to admit that yes he did.

I’ll leave you all to conclude your own thoughts on why that might be ;)?

Gardening is something I like the idea of, as with everything I like the idea of I have the books the gear and absolutely no idea. This time of year I start to ponder the Spring to come I imagine a yard (not the American kind) full of raised beds with veg, and pots with flowers galore, it never happens. I did manage fence and gate painting the first Spring so I guess the hardest part is done.

So today - day off - what to do:
Walk dog
Read
Look at section for close reading
Pay vet
Read some more
Make healthy tea ( which will probably last for the next three days )
Online tutorial ( I used to hate these, in the last year I have found them invaluable, now I look forward to them)
Watch something for an hour, I have found another series/drama
Bed

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 23 Oct 2019 10:44

I think I am with you on gardening, AJ. I like the idea more than the thing itself. I hate getting dirty. However, the activity is helpful for my anxiety and depression. I am sure other (outdoor, physical) activities would be too. I like being productive too. I know running would be productive in terms of health, but I just can't enjoy it. Not that I have tried that hard. At least with gardening, I can, in theory, look, pick and eat and generally enjoy the literal fruits of my labour.
I have bought a hole making device for my garden which I am disproportionately pleased with. I intend to use it to try and help cultivate the wretched front garden (v hard to get into with a spade. The hole making device cuts into it like a warm knife through butter) and plant the far too many (over 100) bulbs I have bought :oops: I have also bought a Japanese 'trowel' - essentially a knife - which I've not tried yet, also to try and sort out the impenetrable, root-bound soil out the front.
Now I am going on about gardening. Do I really only like the idea? I am not sure. My mother is a genuinely passionate gardener (now only in theory, alas). Maybe I just want her approval? Although she is a flower gardener. (Maybe I chose vegetables to avoid competition? Or maybe it's just that I like to grow things to eat...)

Get back to work, Rachel!

p.s. I hardly watch any tv these days. There is so much, but so little of it engages me. Looking forward to more Star Trek, Sabrina somewhat, the Umbrella Academy. I seem to have a need for escapism at the moment. I am watching Tales of the City, but not gobbling it down like I thought I would.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 23 Oct 2019 13:15

Morning!
Rachel wrote:
23 Oct 2019 09:17
Do you remember the Duchess of Duke street. I think you might be too young. It was on a loop on cable tv a while back (er actually quite a while back. Drinking days.) I watched it 1.5 times. Period drama with Gemma Jones. Not really connected except that's probably the last time I had the equivalent of a 'vintage' big box set thing going. And it's good.
Thanks, Rachel - I know the name, but have never seen it. I'll keep an eye out for it ;)?
aj wrote:
23 Oct 2019 10:24
Of course when I was drinking it would be a whole different matter, I’d watch stuff repeatedly like The Royale Family and Car Share (which I loved) and sob my drunken little heart out. I remember watching one episode of Car Share and son number two ( in his twenties) asking me ‘Why are you crying so much’? ‘It just makes me so sad’ wails back I, and then he said ‘It’s because Peter Kay reminds you of Dad doesn’t it’ and then of course I had to admit that yes he did.
AJ <:)>

I cry very easily, even when sober :oops: Shares in Kleenex must have rocketed when we watched Tenko - every evening was a blubfest in our house. I hated drunk-watching TV, though, especially when it was a series my wife and I were following and I'd wake up the next day with no idea what had happened in the previous episode. If she went out, I could sometimes catch up with it before the next episode, but often I just had to pretend I knew what was going on. Horrible days :oops:
DannyD wrote:
23 Oct 2019 09:30
I've not been sleeping well. I might try to leave electronic devices out of the bedroom.
That's something I've been thinking of doing too, D. I use my phone as an alarm clock, and that's led me to watching YouTube documentaries before bed (which I enjoy), but that can lead on to having 'one last look' at BE, FB, or BBC Sport, and I'm not sure that helps sleep. Might have to buy a proper alarm clock soon and squish that habit.

To do:
Bath and shave
Eat
Walk dog
OT shift at the shop

I hope everyone's day goes well \:)/

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 23 Oct 2019 17:07

From experience, I really do think not using ipads etc. before bed helps. Not following own advice at the moment, but I do try to read a proper book as the last thing before turning the light out.

Right. I took a wee break, and the casserole is in now the oven. Half an hour prep. Not entirely vegetarian as I seem to have cut myself. It says cook for two hours before adding dumplings. Not sure it will need this as used Quorn chunks rather than beef. I added herbs, which it didn't mention, in view of Quorn not tasting of much, but it also has two extra ingredients, one of which is marmite (in a scary quantity), both of which will give it lots of flavour.

Of course the star is likely to be the horseradish dumplings. I hope husband doesn't pull another working till midnight one :o

Right. Back to time.
Rachel