Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Re: The To Do List

Post by pickles » 23 Oct 2019 19:02

Hello everyone. It’s been quite a to do week so far . Last week preparing for OH’s friend and two boys coming over, that came and went in a flash ,and now ’doning’ to doing . It was the boys half term, but daughter ‘s is next week ,so she didn’t see them much . They were out during the day with OH . Had to collect her early Monday as she was sick again, but managed a walk yesterday afternoon .

Younger dog is seizing quite a bit ,yesterday on the walk she whacked herself on the ground suddenly and couldn’t get up ,seizing . I helped her try to get up, she was very shaken but after a while managed to walk a little home . Slept well and now she’s sleeping well . Older dog is having his moments too but last two days he is ok .

Did quite a bit of gardening over the weekend. Daughter’s Psychologist came today . Conversation are quite heavy . OH can easily talk about things,but I find it difficult. So does daughter,who then gets irritated by OH :|

Hope it’s a nice evening for all.
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

aj

Post by aj » 24 Oct 2019 08:24

Hello to all,

Seems like you are quite an able gardener to me Rachel, to be able to grow and eat your own food is something I would like to aim for, although flowers are beautiful at least your garden is useful.

Danny hope you are sleeping better, and crochet is not being undone too much, that’s something I just cannot get the hang of, or more realistic cannot be bothered getting the hang of😉

Pickles :\: I can see you still have a lot going on in your personal life, how old is your daughter now? It’s nice to see you.

Jjjj my youngest son and I spent weeks binge watching Breaking Bad and every night he’d put the DVD in, pause it, turn to me and say, ‘Right, shall I tell you what happened at the end of the last one’? I’d laugh and say ‘You’d better had, it’s a bit confusing’ 😏.

This last year he told me, ‘It used to annoy me so much when I had to keep telling you what had happened in Breaking Bad’. God love him he was my biggest supporter and it’s the only thing that ever drove him nuts.

To do:
Work
Online tutorial (wrong night )

Have a good day all.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 24 Oct 2019 10:04

You do seem like you are having a busy week, Pickles.

AJ I would like flowers, but it's hard to get into the soil. The garden is laid out with lots of shrubs fill the soil with their roots and shade all the potential flower beds. The bottom half of the garden has several trees in it, which also means not much space for veg which mostly like direct sunlight. I have a 100x30 garden yet end up growing most things in pots! The front garden is very small and again hard to get into the soil. If one can get a spade in, one also hits rubble plus there are the roots of the cherry blossom tree and another couple of trees that have been removed.
It's all very frustrating.
But one thing about gardening is that it takes time.
I am really looking forward to retirement, and hope I am not to decrepit to do all the things I don't have time to do now :o (Retirement is currently 15 years off, but I am guessing it will be more like 18 if the government keeps going the way it's going. Not that I am going to get a full state pension anyway.)
There are episodes of early new Doctor Who and Randall and Hopkirk that I watched but could not remember, which I could, I realize, rewatch now as if unwatched. (Silver lining…? :? One I'd rather not have, on balance. ) For the last few years, I could never remember going to bed ☹ I used to do things to try to make myself remember (I used to remember doing that, rather than actually remembering going to bed, weirdly.)

Working from home again today.
I have already cleared up cat sick
Emptied the dishwasher
Attempted to remove a huge biro splot from a nice Seasalt top. (One of OH’s biros must have got into the wash.)
To do
Work. Work really hard
put rubbish and recycling out
change cat litter, I guess
change bedding
ring AgeUk for mother

I hope everyone has a good day.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 24 Oct 2019 11:20

Morning!

It's good to see you, Pickles \:)/ Yes, that does sound like a busy week! I'm sorry to hear about your younger dog, but I'm glad the older one has been ok for the last couple of days <:)>
aj wrote:
24 Oct 2019 08:24
Jjjj my youngest son and I spent weeks binge watching Breaking Bad and every night he’d put the DVD in, pause it, turn to me and say, ‘Right, shall I tell you what happened at the end of the last one’? I’d laugh and say ‘You’d better had, it’s a bit confusing’ .

This last year he told me, ‘It used to annoy me so much when I had to keep telling you what had happened in Breaking Bad’. God love him he was my biggest supporter and it’s the only thing that ever drove him nuts.
I love that, AJ! ;)? It's awful to remember something like that (I was shuddering at my memories, yesterday) but that's so lovely how he supported you.
Rachel wrote:
24 Oct 2019 10:04
For the last few years, I could never remember going to bed ☹ I used to do things to try to make myself remember (I used to remember doing that, rather than actually remembering going to bed, weirdly.)
Going to bed... Ooh, another horrible (non-)memory! I also remember trying to do things to make myself remember the night before. When I house-shared I'd often go to my room early and continue drinking 'secretly' until the early hours. When I drank alone, I used to feel and behave more drunkenly than I would have done in public and would end up muttering to myself or knocking things over. (This will have been due to the quantity of alcohol, obviously; but also, I think, because in company one tempers one's behaviour to match that of those around us, whereas alone I had no one to judge my drunkenness against.) Then, in the morning, I would worry
(because it had been remarked on before) that my housemate might have heard me muttering or moaning, or that I may have left the room at some point and bumped into him while clearly pissed but forgotten about it. Or maybe I might have tripped over in the kitchen in front of said housemate and forgotten this too?

To counter these worries, I started to write notes to myself throughout the evening: "9.30pm. On second bottle of wine, but all is quiet. Spoke to Dave in the kitchen ten minutes ago. He was fine." Or: "1.20am. Two botells and sme beer but havnt made any noise. dont think anyway. going bed now......"

But how could I really trust these notes? How did I really know I hadn't staggered into Dave on the stairs at 2.50am? I might just have forgotten to write a note about it. Also, although I might have written that my conversation with Dave seemed fine at 9.20, how did I really know this? After all, I was already half-cut at the time and not in the best state of mind to judge how drunk I might seem to someone else. So, the notes were pretty useless, really.

Other night horrors (although these didn't happen until a few years later) included waking dry-mouthed in the small hours and having to check Facebook and Hotmail to make sure I hadn't posted or emailed anything stupid before going to bed.

Brrr...!

To do:
Get on with my to-do list! :D
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 24 Oct 2019 11:32

PS. Rachel, how was your casserole and dumplings in the end?

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 24 Oct 2019 15:38

I always used to think I was mentally lucid for long after my body stopped doing what I asked it to. I am not sure if this is true or not. I think I have said this before, but I used to write, and it (content) would always all be fine (or as fine as any of my writing was in those days), but you could see my extraordinary rapid physical decline - my writing would suddenly deteriorate and then sometimes just fall off the page. This happened very quickly. I was writing at a manic speed of knots. It would go from normal to scrawl to illegible, to my not being able to write at all, in the space of two pages. Brain still seemed to work, after that (frustrated that could no longer write) but not my body. But of course, whether my brain continued to work for much longer afterwards, I don't know/remember. Chances are, I went to bed. (And I can't remember more because it's a long time ago now rather than alcohol induced amnesia, but even if I could remember, this would not really constitute knowing, if that makes sense.)
I am of course not saying that my brain was functioning normally from a cognitive point of view up until the writing falling of the page point. It felt normal... which I am sure I was not.
I guess I am saying this, because your notes were probably trustworthy, Jjj, but the alcoholism does rather take away one's trust in oneself and so many things. In fact, I would say it rather erroded my sense of self, although I didn't realize that at the time, so perhaps it didn't?! Iroonically, the recovery process certainly took away my sense of self. Got it back though... ;) Roughly the same me as before drinking took hold.

I used to wonder if memories were lost in what were, essentially, blackouts, or if they failed to form in the first place.

On a far happier note, I did make the casserole, and it went down very well. Too well? Not much left. Saving what's left for husband. ()o ??!! :D
Rachel

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 24 Oct 2019 16:33

Your casserole sounds good Rachel ;)?

Hi aj, how are you ?

Jj, IT WORKED ;)?

Hope all ok Danny, JohnC too.

Quite sunny here,so was out in the garden whilst banana cake was cooking . Older dog follows me and dramatically plops on the grass and starts snoring. When I go back in the kitchen,he follows, drops dramatically and starts to snore again .

OH is away for a few days . Have a few appointments with daughter during her half term,and going to look after animals for someone. I said to myself last time would be the last time . I hope I can get to see Maglificent with daughter sometime.

If I’m reading properly, is there a conversation about falling asleep by the tv ? I was a drunk tv watcher and when I was out of rehab ,felt proud I could stay awake watching Silks , or whatever the series was called at the time . Now I just usually can’t stay awake so late . OH usually can till 1am ,but then he sleeps well .

Hope everyone has had a good day .

And catch up with apprentice ...
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 24 Oct 2019 17:14

pickles wrote:
24 Oct 2019 16:33
Jj, IT WORKED ;)?
Nice one, Pickles ;)? :D
pickles wrote:
Older dog follows me and dramatically plops on the grass and starts snoring. When I go back in the kitchen,he follows, drops dramatically and starts to snore again .
:lol: Hee hee - I love that image!
pickles wrote:
Now I just usually can’t stay awake so late
I don't like staying up late, these days. My wife can do all-nighters when she wants to finish an essay, and she'll regularly stay up much later than me, but I like to be in bed fairly early. I haven't slept that well, though, during the last few nights. I think it's the time of the year, with the dark mornings. If I wake in the night, it's impossible to know if it's still the small hours or close to the time when I'll have to get up. By the time I've checked the time I've woken myself fully.
Rachel wrote:
24 Oct 2019 15:38
I used to wonder if memories were lost in what were, essentially, blackouts, or if they failed to form in the first place.
That's a fascinating conundrum, Rachel! I think that possibly they form, but not to the extent of a normal, sober memory. I always hated it if I couldn't remember the tail end of an evening, only to have a small half-formed recollection of something enter my mind much later the following day.

There again, I was also prone to terrible false memories where I'd become convinced that I'd done something lousy during the previous binge. Sometimes I could almost see the event taking place in my mind's eye, albeit with no sound. These false memories tended to involve me saying something offensive to someone I'd been with. It would then be a great relief when I next saw them and they were perfectly pleasant - proving that nothing untoward had happened. A relief, but not a very satisfying or comforting one.

Actually, I suspect that the false memories had a lot to do with what you say: "alcoholism does rather take away one's trust in oneself." Sober, I'm not and never have been abusive or offensive - I'd hate to be the former and I'm too shy to be the latter - and I'm quite sure now that I was never either when drunk (not terribly so, anyway). But back then, after I'd been on a bender, I was terrified that I might have been. Obviously, I had also lost a sense of self and couldn't, therefore, trust who I was (or might turn into) when drunk.

The casserole sounds terrific! I'm glad it turned out well :D

aj

Post by aj » 24 Oct 2019 21:15

Thanks for sharing your stories <:)>

I like your avatar Jjjj.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 25 Oct 2019 05:41

Thanks, AJ ;)? <:)>

To do:
Too much in too little time (my own fault for being lazy, yesterday)

I hope everyone has a great day ;)? <:)>

aj

Post by aj » 25 Oct 2019 08:32

Morning all, work for me. I find it strange when people talk about retirement, having not worked in the same area of work and only having been in this company for about ten years (I actually don’t know how long) I just think of it as going to work and one day when I’ve had enough or I have to go I’ll leave. That probably all sounds very muddled 😂 but I’m sure you’ll know what I mean.

Online tutorial was interesting, first half was on the assignment I was not planning on doing, great presentations lots of informative slides. Second half ( different tutor) on the one I had planned, one slide on a whiteboard, three headings, blah blah blah.

Oh dear 🤔

Have a good day everyone, it’s Friday..not that that means anything anymore 😂

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 25 Oct 2019 08:39

Morning.

Back into the office today. Husband off to France tonight.

I finished the Neil Gaiman last night, which I am sad about. But the ending didn't really work imo. It's written in the first person, and at the end he is supposed to have forgotten what happened (what he remembers) in the bulk of the book. I think you can only get away with this in diary (or some sort of 'what's just happened' style) format if you are writing in the first person? And I am not sure that diary format is very satisfactory for the reader. I am (nevertheless) toying with it in a story at the moment (actually two, but now thinking about it, one doesn't really need it.) because it allows teh narrator to be as ignorant as the reader, which can be useful. But I think, on balance, it's best avoided? In my story someone has amnesia and also cognitive impairment, but her thinking becomes clearer and some memories return, so I wanted a format that fairly subtly shows a gradual slight personality change with some relapses. Not sure I can pull it off! Flowers for Algernon is now springing to mind.

Anyway.

to do
work
delay call to mother (she wants to do an online shop) so that I can
wave husband off
change bedding
continue slightly full but useful project to list all the birth (and other) certificates I have purchased on a spreadsheet. It does have the upside of making me read them properly again which can be helfpul if more research has come to light since I first acquired them.
find something new to read to take to bed with me

Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 25 Oct 2019 16:31

Afternoon!
aj wrote:
25 Oct 2019 08:32
but I’m sure you’ll know what I mean.
Actually, I do know what you mean, AJ! That sounds very much like my approach, for good or bad. I do sometimes wish that I could begin to think about (let alone prepare for) retirement, but I'm not so good at getting round to doing anything about it :)

That's a shame about how the tutorials worked out! I do like hearing about your studies, though. It's making me think that I would like to do a course of some kind. Maybe I should make it a New Year's Resolution?
aj wrote:
25 Oct 2019 08:32
it’s Friday..not that that means anything anymore
In terms of booze, you are (wonderfully) right! And in terms of life too... When I was working solely from home, weekends went out the window. Now that I'm also a 'weekend warrior' at the shop, it's just the same. Doesn't really matter what day of the week it is :roll: Roll on my Monday-Is-Sunday day :lol:
Rachel wrote:
25 Oct 2019 08:39
continue slightly full but useful project to list all the birth (and other) certificates I have purchased on a spreadsheet. It does have the upside of making me read them properly again which can be helfpul if more research has come to light since I first acquired them.
That sounds interesting, Rachel - that'll be to do with your genealogy work? Again, that's something I'd like to get into. My uncle has done a lot of research which has been fascinating to read. Again, it's a possible project for next year.
Rachel wrote:
25 Oct 2019 08:39
I am not sure that diary format is very satisfactory for the reader. I am (nevertheless) toying with it in a story at the moment (actually two, but now thinking about it, one doesn't really need it.) because it allows teh narrator to be as ignorant as the reader, which can be useful. But I think, on balance, it's best avoided? In my story someone has amnesia and also cognitive impairment, but her thinking becomes clearer and some memories return, so I wanted a format that fairly subtly shows a gradual slight personality change with some relapses. Not sure I can pull it off! Flowers for Algernon is now springing to mind.
It sounds like a good format for the story you mention, Rachel. As a reader, I certainly don't mind the diary format at all. I wouldn't want to read stories in that style for too long, but then - how many diary-stories can we name off the top of our heads? We're not being hit over the head with them very often, but the best are very good and/or sell (not necessarily the same thing, obviously).

One of the best short stories I've read in a diary-esque style (other than 'Flowers for Algernon' - one of my daughter's favourites!) is by Conan Doyle, 'The Horror of the Heights' (available in Tales of Unease), in which an early aviator keeps a log-book of his attempts to ascend higher than any other aeroplane pilot yet. He discovers a hitherto unsuspected species of translucent jellyfish-like creatures that exist above cloud cover. I'd better not add a spoiler, but the diary/notebook format works excellently in conveying the narrator's initially fascinated/bewildered/horrified encounters with these creatures through to the... well, I mustn't spoil the ending ;)

I think that every good story has its perfect format - 1st person, 3rd, or whatever. It all depends on the nature of the story and how it should unfold before the reader. The diary definitely has its place among the options.

To done:
Among other things I have, for the first time in a few years, gathered together all my CDs and ordered them. I used to be so nerdishly diligent about this, but recently they'd become totally confused. I usually order them by genre and then by 'inter-genre' (so you've got '60s pop, and within that the Small Faces appear above the Who with the Beatles rightfully over them both, and so on). It became tricky today, though, because I don't have a lot of room and I wanted all the piles of CDs to have my most-listened-to at the top - to make them the most easily-found. But that was tricky due to the lack of space for enough piles for the number of genres. Some genres are now on top of others. Thankfully, Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, Emmylou Harris and Suzanne Vega came out tops, but it slightly irks/saddens me that other acts have become slightly buried: Simon & Garfunkel, middle row? (Scandalous!) Billy Joel at the bottom of a pile? (Makes my eyes well-up, but I realise others will feel less heartbroken...)

I'll probably lose sleep about this tonight, but at least I now know where everything is, regardless of whether they 'deserve' to be where they are or not. (Looking again: Neil Young is actually below the Shadows. Now, I love the Shadows (who doesn't?) - but that has to constitute some kind of crime against musical humanity, doesn't it? :? )

To do:
1) Eat
2) Make food for work tomorrow
3) Bath, book and bed, and don't forget to...
4) Set alarm - very early start tomorrow. Got to catch the 6am train to work...

I hope everyone has a great weekend \:)/

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 25 Oct 2019 21:57

I had my CDS in alphabetical order - but (just) 4 genres - classical, non classical, sound tracks and spoken word. Manged to keep them liske that for ages, but hwen I had the sitting room floor done over two years ago, they were packed up, and when unpacked not put back in order (time consuming.) Not sure how many we have but quite a lot (and I think there is a load onf my husband's in France too.) Shelves about 6ftx 5ft in the UK.

Young people, I gather, don't buy CDS. Or even downloads. They use spotify. Come Armageddon, I will at least have a load of CDS, albeit with nothing to play them on, if we have no electricity. That's when the 1930s wind up gramophone player and 78s come out.)

I've been in my job very nearly 20 years. The only way out (if I want to avoid penury) is retirement or death.
Last edited by Rachel on 26 Oct 2019 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 26 Oct 2019 08:19

Rachel your last statement made me laugh. I think I imagine retirement for ‘career’ people of which I am not. But then I’ve always thought that what I do is less than, the ‘Oh I’m just a ...’ wrong I know, I suppose it’s because my job doesn’t thrill me or give me that feeling at the end of the day of having achieved anything. If anything it’s made me like humans a little less or again maybe that’s my age 😂.

Alphabetising anything would make me die of tedium, I cannot think of anything more torturous. Back to talking work, we have just had a new method of dispensing brought in and prescriptions now have to be put in alphabetical order, it is the part I like doing the least. To DVD’s I have bag fulls in my mum’s garage that I just don’t know what to do with, I had recently thought to take them to the local record shop and ask them do they want them. I don’t listen to music very often, in the car I’ll have the local radio on lots of pop which to my second son’s dismay I like, and when I go out for long walks I’ll put my iPod in although I tend to listen to podcasts more now, usually lectures.

I actually sit in silence a lot of the time, always have done I like quiet 🤫 although I am beginning to think lately that maybe I’m spending too much time in silence.

Jjjj I do love doing the course and in some ways I think it’s been a life saver, at the moment I just cannot imagine my life without some form of studying in it.

So today to do:
Work half day
I am going to attempt to start assignment- unheard of with two weeks to go
Try and walk dog if ever it stops chucking it down

Don’t forget clocks go back, my favourite time of year, I can now legitimately come home put on my pjs and do nothing. Although it’s usually the time I’ll decide to start C25k for the hundredth time, in the dark when no one can see me 🏃‍♀️.

hasta pronto

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Oct 2019 10:59

I don't listen to music enough. I don't like it on in the background and hate having to talk over it. So today, alone, I have put a CD on loud. I sometimes listen to it on the train. I should do it more. It's a massive mood manipulator, for better or worse.

I spend a lot of time sitting in silence too - or did when I lived mostly alone. This is bad or the cats who are very scaredy. I remember once switching on the tv and them running for cover, because they were so unused to the noise. It goes on more now (I used to not watch anything from one month to another.)

Glad you are enjoying studying. I have/had a massive block/fear about studying - that I wouldn't be mentally up to it. Reading philosophy again has not got rid to this. I still have my recurring nightmare about being back at university and realizing I have not done any work all year and crunch time is coming, although I suppose that's uncovering a slightly different fear. I know there is a basic unshiftable premise underlying my 'research' for work that I am not intelligent enough to do it as well as I did. Which reveals an assumption that I had when younger, and which has gone unchallenged, that it's necessary to excel at it.

Not sure what I'd study if I could go back to it. Maybe English literature... or social history.

to do today:
I have already put washing load one on
vacuumed the cultery drawer (!)
emptied the dishwasher
Not sure what else to do with today. Was awake till 4am, so a bit less sleep than I would have liked. Should do some proper vacuuming.
I could go out (Sainsbury's? Seems such a faff without a car.) It's not very nice out.
I might go into town/Chelsea tomorrow, as it looks like the weather will be nice. Brompton Cemetery with my camera or somesuch.
Writing. Two meetings this week :? They are going to get the same story, which I need to read through. Plus I have another story bobbing around in my head. Need to get it down.

OH arrived at the house in France at about 2.30am UK time. I wonder if he's up.

Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 27 Oct 2019 12:15

Hello to all,

Rachel is the philosophy book something you are working on for work, is it what you studied at University? If I remember you went to Oxford, I can imagine there was quite a lot of pressure on you both before you went and while there to achieve great things. When I was at school the only ones that did A’levels were those planning to teach or do medicine, I never knew or have ever known anyone who went to Oxford or Cambridge, I am going to stick my neck out here and say that this is another by-product of living in rural Wales. For a while my youngest considered it so we got to spend time visiting the colleges etc, I think we are both glad he didn’t go, the pressure would have been too much.

Jjjj are you and your wife in bands? When my ex left, the woman next door feeling sorry for me no doubt, asked if I wanted to go to choir with her. I imagined it like a Gareth Malone type rock choir, alas no, it was a proper read music type choir, consequently it didn’t last long, only long enough for her to find out what she needed to about me, and me about everyone else in the town 😉

Does your husband work in France Rachel or are you renovating, sorry cannot remember.

To done:
Very long walk with dog, hopefully he’ll sleep now for the rest of the day
Listened to BBC in Our Time podcasts this makes me feel very intelligent 🤓
Put washing out

To do:
Try try try to start assignment - I am procrastinating
Wait for bloke to come and put up a ceiling light for me, I’ve only had it a year!
Go to Mums for tea and watch last night’s Strictly- which means we can fast forward through the boring bits

Quite a good day methinks

Have a good one all

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Oct 2019 22:53

I did my first degree in London, AJ. Then post grad in Oxford. I felt a bit of a dunce there, tbh. I did ok, though, up to a point.

The philosophy is both for work and what I studied for many years at university. But I left university in 1998.

We have a house in France. Husband wanted to go and check on it. It was going to be a last chance before Brexit, but maybe not. Maybe it was. We don't know yet? (We went in March - not the best time of year to go - for the same reason.)

He's back now. I may have to persuade him to take me to Calais area for a day trip to get all the shopping I asked for... :? (He got some, but it's not quite what I wanted... :? x2 I know. I am ungrateful.) He brought a huge haul of wine with him, though... Day trip will also depend on Brexit though. French Passport people are bound to strike once it goes through and it's bad enough as it is, often, trying to get across via the tunnel.

I feel somewhat pleased with myself. I made my self go into town. I found the two family gravestones/tombs in Brompton Cemetery (It's HUGE, but I had a formula for finding specfic graves this time. It basically involves a kind of Treasure Island type, wallk ten steps south, 30 west.) Then went to the Kings Road. I have a wedding to go to, and nothing I am happy wtih to go in. I still don't!
Was nhome by 2pm.

Also change OH's bedding. It's Superking sized. I had Bowie's It Aint' Easy stuck in my head in the approximately 20 minutes it took me to do it. At least this time, I didn't get lost inside it.
Did a load of washing.

I tried to have a nap, but it didn't work :( Same yesterday. I have been very tense this weekend.

Bed time now. A demain!
Rachel

aj

Post by aj » 28 Oct 2019 08:11

Hope today’s a better day for you Rachel <:)>

Boss is off this week, so it will either be a good week in which we get to meet lots of different locums, change of conversation etc. Or it’s going to be slightly stressful when we get different locums who won’t do anything because they’re only there for a day.

And even worse, I’ll have to stay until 6pm to lock up 😞 This in fact my normal finishing time but usually I can leave whenever I want after 5pm - have I said before, I have the best boss in the world 😁

Anyway I’m just going to try and get on top of my assignment this week, I am not going to overthink it like I normally do.

Have a good day everyone \:)/

One other thing Jjjj I just want to say that I think you and the moderators on here are fantastic for doing what you do, the time you put in and the fact that you try and answer people’s messages, and do all you do in your personal life is quite amazing. I have a lot of respect for you. And when I was on BE before never gave it any thought, so it’s been a long time coming but thanks. <:)>

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 28 Oct 2019 10:35

Aww, thanks AJ ;)? <:)> I've made sure the other mods have seen what you wrote. I suppose what I've always loved about BE is how everyone here (and the time they put into it) makes it such a special place to be! :)

Rachel, I hope today is less tense. I liked the sound of your trip to Brompton cemetery. I also chuckled at your description of getting lost inside OH's superking-sized duvet! We have one of them too - it was a suggestion from a friend before we married. Turned out to be a remarkably good idea, as we've never had any bother with either of us rolling over in the night and stealing the duvet from the other.
Rachel wrote:
26 Oct 2019 10:59
I don't listen to music enough.
Sorting my CDs made me realise that the same is true of me. It wasn't so much that I'd forgotten what I own, more that actually handling them made me want to listen again to a lot of albums I haven't bothered with for a long time. I'm a bit of a terror, these days, for listening to stuff on YouTube while my computer's on, which can become oddly limiting since YouTube immediately suggests stuff I've listened to recently and I end up sticking with that. Whereas, if I look over at the CDs now, I'm immediately tempted by Jon & Vangelis, the Butterfield Blues Band and Trader Horne - just the first three I took notice of, all of which I love, but none of which I'd have thought of playing had I not glanced over there. Think I might put on 'Amarok' by Mike Oldfield, actually :D

Something else I don't do, these days, for no reason other than lazy disorganisation, is read the music press. BIL does, and often tries to strike up conversations with: "Did you see that Such-and-Such is releasing a new album/going on tour?" Usually, these are people he knows I profess to like, but I've rarely heard his news. Apart from a very few bands and singers I follow on FB, I'm incredibly out of touch, which I kind of regret.
aj wrote:
27 Oct 2019 12:15
Jjjj are you and your wife in bands? When my ex left, the woman next door feeling sorry for me no doubt, asked if I wanted to go to choir with her. I imagined it like a Gareth Malone type rock choir, alas no, it was a proper read music type choir, consequently it didn’t last long, only long enough for her to find out what she needed to about me, and me about everyone else in the town
Oh wow, that's a shame about the choir, AJ! My wife was a teacher but she hated it, so a few years ago she decided to 'sing her way out of it'. Now, she does a lot of concerts in care homes and gigs on the folk circuit, mostly solo but she is also in a band and a duo. On Saturday night she had a gig in Stirling (a two-mile drive) so that's where we went after I'd been to work. And it was good - but I suffered the next day as I started work again at 7! (Thank goodness for the extra hour in bed.)

I play at local sessions and occasionally do gigs (when roped in by my wife). I enjoy it but could never attempt to earn a living from it, as she does.
aj wrote:
28 Oct 2019 08:11
Boss is off this week, so it will either be a good week in which we get to meet lots of different locums, change of conversation etc. Or it’s going to be slightly stressful when we get different locums who won’t do anything because they’re only there for a day.
I hope the week goes well ;)?

To do:
Monday is 'Sunday' but I have to get quite a few things done today and tomorrow as I'm working on Wednesday and then we're going up north on Thursday for almost a week. Funnily enough, given the conversation above, it's for a music festival my wife's playing at. So...

1) Move some of son's clutter from the stairs to the attic where I've made space for it
2) Hoover and dust and clean stairs and hall (while listening to Amarok. Wife and son are both out for most of the day, so the only house member I can annoy with my music is the dog)
3) Choose songs for the festival and practise (there will be loads of sessions in the evenings)
4) Walk the dog - it's currently very cold but very sunny, so it might be good to go for a good long ramble
5) Dinner
6) Clean the bathroom, have a bath, read a book, go to bed

The rest can wait until tomorrow. Looking at the list, it's not actually as long as I thought. Result :D

I hope everyone has a good day \:)/