Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
aj

Re: The To Do List

Post by aj » 03 Apr 2020 13:44

Good luck Jjjj

Rachel I’m glad things are a little better, on all fronts. It’s a tough time 🙂

Stay safe everyone

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 03 Apr 2020 14:51

Sandpoint wrote:
03 Apr 2020 09:11
  • Get up.
I love your thinking, Sandpoint ;)?
Rachel wrote:
03 Apr 2020 11:34
One can start before one gets up.
Again, I like this, Rachel ;)?

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better today. You are right that a shock fall will result in shock. (Hm, now I feel silly saying that, whereas I didn't feel you were silly earlier on.) And I'm really glad if things are improving in the house <:)>
aj wrote:
03 Apr 2020 13:44
Good luck Jjjj
Thanks, AJ! The washing machine arrived. Naturally nervous, I was afraid of neighbouring curtain-twitchers wondering what the heck we were doing ordering such a thing at this time - and I could agree that in some ways they would be right. But the order was placed a good couple of weeks ago and Argos were happy still to deliver it, unprompted by us, and it is/will be a help - no more trips to the launderette.

And it's been installed (by wife and I) and works, with only one outbreak of "Mark! You've turned the screw the wrong way! Now it's JAMMED!" :oops:

Which reminded me of being a student in Tufnell Park halls of residences in the mid-'90s, when a rather diminutive and elderly lady manned the bar (or rather, dimunitive-and-elderly-ladied the bar, I guess). She was called Sheila and she was lovely - unless riled - but had a strange accent pitched somewhere between Barbara Windsor and a Dalek.

Anyway, one evening, Barry (who was huge and could do that trick where you allow a string of spittle to drip an inch or two from your bottom lip and then suck it back up into your mouth again, like a yo-you) lost his 50p to the jukebox and started to shake it. Out dashed Sheila from behind the bar: "STOP IT! YOU - ARE - BREAKING - IT!" she barked. "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" Well, maybe not the last two words, but she was probably thinking them. Even big Barry felt cowed by Sheila when she'd been riled.

And that's who my wife reminded me of, this morning. But i) it was a fond memory, and ii) my wife was right: I had turned the screw entirely the wrong way (you'd think at my age, I'd remember which way they work), but thankfully no damage was done and a first wash has now been completed - just in time for the rain to come on...

Also done: reread an essay by Douglas Adams on how he came to write The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is why I'm now trying (badly) to write 'amusingly' in a style vaguely akin to the style in which he actually was amusing.

Whereas, all I'm really doing is waffling!

I did message my niece and nephew, though, and we had a lovely chat on Messenger. I shaved my head last night and sent a photo. They asked me if I polished it. I said, once in the morning and again before bed, with turtle wax and a chamois leather.

And now I really am just wittering, so I will stop and try to get back to my to-do list...

As AJ says, stay safe everyone, and I hope your afternoons are going well <:)>
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 03 Apr 2020 17:56

Rachel wrote:
03 Apr 2020 11:34
I really really thought it was Wednesday yesterday, after I realized that it was not Tuesday. This is highly disturbing, but it does mean the weekend is coming sooner
Good news, indeed!

I've already given the game away in my earlier drivel (as if you wouldn't have known, anyway), but who said this?
This must be Thursday ... I never could get the hang of Thursdays
:D

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 04 Apr 2020 08:12

Morning.

I'm catching up. Sorry about your fall Rachel. It can be a bit of a shock. I fell over a couple of months ago and posted on FB that the dog was laughing at me lying under his feet. I then went to bed. An hour later I was woken by my neighbour coming in (she has a key) to check I was ok. FB had gone mad with work colleagues wanting to know that I was ok.

And OHs. My ex. The one who walked out on me and two under 5s, going bankrupt within minutes, leaving me in danger of losing our home. That ex. Is phoning me constantly. He's frightened (but won't admit it), but luckily lives away away. Yesterday when he phoned, I just didn't bother to answer. Conversations go round and round. I know everyone is preaching 'be kind and love one another,' but he bores me.....

To do
Breakfast.
Feed dog
Hang out washing.
Garden.
Housework.

Have a good day y'all.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 04 Apr 2020 08:47

You were writing very amusingly :lol2: You should use it, if you haven't already, in something.

I am afraid I have had a steady stream of deliveries since lockdown. Mainly garden things. My credit card bill is going to be massive. I had a flat pack cold frame come yesterday, which I need to construct today. (Am hoping for/will need help from husband. I really struggle with pictorial instructions and have always been bad at constructing such things anyway. On many many occasions, I have had to unscrew everything and start again. Too impatient?) I fear it was a waste of money. Very flimsy. Might have to order a better one :? OH will go ballistic at some point in spite of me pointing out that we must be saving at least £200 and more if I get a refund on my humongously expensive annual travel card... :?

my to do list today. I think some of these were itemized during the week. Maybe make it a weekend one make that several weekends?! :o :
construct cold frame
weeding - um a bit. About an hour's worth including digging and hacking back ivy
fertilize fruit bushes
put homemade compost down as mulch
put compost accelerator in other compost bin
emptied food waste in compost bin
ran dishwasher
pot on new blueberry plants and the 4 tiny plants that arrived this morning
plant out very spiny raspberry (?!) desultory digging in preparation
do something with bare root strawberries
sow some seeds. yes! Quite a lot!I had a minor disaster yesterday, tipping seedlings out and upside down (I cried, briefly.) Some fatalities. So sow replacement ones plus sunflowers. Maybe sow these in situ. I don't think they like being messed with. But where?
potted up 6 plants
Tidy bottom of garden to prepare it for flagstones OH bought. not really but flgastones now carried down by husband. Who also constructed two 'cribs'. Veg planters for me, bought last year on special offer, not opened. They came with about 12 packets of veg seeds! Ok 3 of these were cabbage and some were lettuce, but even so!
sat outside and read my book
Tidy kitchen
Tidy and organize lean to
Write or at least think about stories that need finishing. I have done nothing in weeks.
Try and get someone to deliver milk eggs and veg. I suspect just not possible. There are some options but you can’t choose what you get or the quantities. Could we get though 30 eggs? Yes. I bet we get turnips
Cook?
Ok this is all far too much even for a whole weekend.

Right now: seek out sick I just heard being ejected from Basil. I fear he is going a bit hyperthyroid again. His behaviour has been bad again. (He had me still awake at 2am (or he and worrying about my mother) and again at 6am.) Will ring vet for advice but may wait until Monday.
medicate Basil \/

Ah the sun is coming out again :D

I hope everyone has a good day.

p.s. I am pretty good at DA quotes, Jjjj...:) Do you have the books of scripts? I am afraid I still laugh out loud when I even so much as think about Slartibartfast's 'original' (desired but not allowed?) name.
Last edited by Rachel on 04 Apr 2020 15:33, edited 4 times in total.
Rachel

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 04 Apr 2020 08:52

Sorry, crossed posts, Danny.

By contrast, although I got sympathy from my colleagues/room mates (we have a zoom group) on the day no one asked the next day. But that's ok! At least they didn't all urge me to go to hospital. And one gave me good advice - she plays a lot of post and had had a lot of injuried in her young life.

I hope no one has a bonfire for your washing. You'd think there was a direct causal link between hanging out washing and people lighting bonfire round here! Now that there are no recycling collections, I suspect people will start burning cardboard (too stiff to use as loo paper...) and weeds. I might even have to restrain husband in this.
Rachel

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ » 04 Apr 2020 09:06

**cross post, Rachel

Hi all,
Rachel, sorry about your fall, hope you are OK.
Danny - I couldn't help smile at your humour - well, your dog's.
I fell hard on ice yesterday, I stupidly had slippy shoes on when I decided to go return something borrowed from a neighbor who lives 2 km away. So dog and I went off - and because it's getting towards spring and not so cold anymore - icy roads suddenly turn slippy.
So I crashed hard onto my knee which is very sore and annoying because I planned to take said dog for a long hike today. Note to self. Remember to keep spikes in my pocket - they do no good hanging in the hallway!

Oh - re the ex, Danny. I know some of your story and I empathise. I can't forgive the father of my children either for taking me home only 8 hours after the birth having charmed the nurses that he'd take care of me - and then creating a stupid argument and then ditching me - with a 10 hour baby and a 2.5 year old. I just deleted a long explanation. It's such an incredible story I can't believe it took 5 more years before I finally got him out. Unfortunately, I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. 6 more years of abuse. I can't believe I had to get to 53 years old before I can see the pattern. What a waste!!
So anyway I think it's OK to distance ourselves, Danny. We all know what happens if we engage in people who upset/irritate us - the old f* it urge - and the only person who suffers is ourselves.

New day - new possibilities \:)/

To do:

Cuddle cat \/ and forgive her for destroying yet another 2 rolls of loo paper (it's a fetish of hers - loo rolls, rolls of plastic dog-poo bags - and also the dog's collar/lead - she goes totally mental about these - strange cat. Daughter bought her cat toys but she prefers hopping up on my desk and collecting stuff - batteries, pens, nuts, bits of plumbing parts, whatever..).
Take care of knee
Do NOT go to shop. Do not even think about any temptations.
Shovel snow
Tidy house and play with new(ish) vacuum cleaner
Paint final coat in kitchen
Screw on the newly-painted knobs for the units
Take dog for at least a medium-length hike (on lovely new skis I bought last year from my "sober-money" jar. I put a token in there for every time I would have bought alcohol, but didn't - and it was astonishing/horrifying how it mounted up).

I might be a bit ambitious :?

Have a good day, do-ers!
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 04 Apr 2020 09:13

Sorry about your fall, Luna. Ice (ironically?)?! I hope you are not experiencing the aftershock. I seem to have a fall about once every 2-3 years. I do wonder how my knees will be in old age (if I attain that...) Anyway I hope you recover swiftly.

LIly (cat) has an obsession with all things I suppose pen-shapped. Pens, tweezers, anything long and thin. Not a destructive habit though as these things are pretty indestructable. If you show her a pen or tweezers, she starts possing (kneeding) and purring before trying to play with it. She's been like this since she was a tiny ktitten.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 05 Apr 2020 06:46

Rachel wrote:
04 Apr 2020 08:47
You were writing very amusingly
Aww, thanks, Rachel, that was really kind of you :D <:)>
Rachel wrote:
04 Apr 2020 08:52
Now that there are no recycling collections, I suspect people will start burning cardboard (too stiff to use as loo paper...)
That amused me! :lol: And this...
Rachel wrote:
04 Apr 2020 08:47
Do you have the books of scripts? I am afraid I still laugh out loud when I even so much as think about Slartibartfast's 'original' (desired but not allowed?) name.
:lol: :lol:
DannyD wrote:
04 Apr 2020 08:12
I know everyone is preaching 'be kind and love one another,' but he bores me.....
I'm in a slightly tedious email conversation with my strange and estranged SIL. She contacted me a couple of weeks ago to try to re-establish contact with her sister. Wife wants no direct contact but asked if I'd reply and say that she hoped her sister was well too. Since then SIL and I have kept updating each other. I don't mind this - I think it's a good idea - but as time goes on the more SIL reveals her self-centredness. Her emails are all about her: her worries, her life, how this is all affecting her, and how much she's doing to help others. Plus, heavy hints about how horrible my wife is for not replying herself, after SIL was so loving and graciously forgiving to make contact :roll:

She, who unfriended me twice even before we ever fell out, has sent an FB friend request but not once asked how I am.

Anyway, the point is that where this conversation with her would once have troubled me, now it only bores me.

Sorry, that won't have sounded very charitable!

Sorry to hear of your fall, Luna! How is your knee today? <:)>

To do:
Get up
Go to work
Come home
Watch Dragons' Den

Have a good day, all \:)/

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 05 Apr 2020 08:09

I think that's a very healthy response to your SIL jjjjjjj. I know she's troubled you (emotionally) in the past. She's obviously feeling lonely and possibly rather frightened through the pandemic, and needs reassurance that she's not alone. You could suggest that if she catches and dies from coronavirus, no one would be able to attend her funeral, so perhaps this contact is insignificant. Oh dear. I'm afraid I'm not very good at being kind, helpful and thoughtful to others.

To do
Water and weed all my pots.
Wash the dog - not looking forward to this, but he does appear to carry a certain odour around with him.
Open windows and doors, let the fresh air blow through.
Maybe cut a lawn or two (they're small).
Try and establish a daily routine instead of reading kindle books all day every day.

Have a good day y'all.

aj

Post by aj » 05 Apr 2020 09:35

Jjjj I think you are being very charitable towards your sil, especially considering you really don’t have to be. My sister gives out mixed messages, she lives within walking distance and I only ever saw her if I went to hers. Which I actually stopped doing quite a few months ago. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if I had a choice she is not someone I would choose. Anyway I’d seen her last week from across the road while she was stood in the queue at the chemist’s...
Me: Hi, What are you doing?
Getting Mums prescription
She’s had it
No she hasn’t
I’m sure she has
No Son didn’t get it
I’m sure she told me he did
No, he stood in the queue for half an hour and gave up
Well I’m convinced she just told me he took it to her
We’ll see...(takes out phone)

And this is the problem, she sees me as I was forty years ago, opinionated and telling her what to do, she has no idea who I am, and I certainly have no idea who she is.

I walked away from her and though it ridiculous that we just could not have a decent quick conversation. Then yesterday I get a text from her ‘Hope you are staying safe’.

Luckily I have no credit to text back, I have free calls... but I won’t.

Does this also make me a bad person.

In the words of my sister ‘Hope you are all staying safe’

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 05 Apr 2020 10:55

I agree, being bored is progress Jjjj. I don’t think it's uncharitable.

I often ponder on how my sister is so sure that she knows me, through and through (and according to her, sees through the front everyone else is fooled by). But how can she? We've not seen each other for over 20 years and had only sporadic contact. She was not in my life when I was going through all the alcoholic crisis, which surely changed me somewhat, at least. She knows nothing about my daily life, my interests, my friends, most parts of my life really. Yet she thinks she does. Worse still, she has rewritten her and thus my history to fit in with her current world view, not having contact with anyone who could (and even if they could, would dare to) contradict her. On the other hand, also perhaps think I know her. However, this is based on the rambling letters and posts which show she has not changed, except to become a more exaggerated and extreme version of her younger self.
Nothing I can say will disconfirm her (negative) opinion of me as she decided upon the nature of the reality she wishes to believe in, and then believes in it. Anyone who attempts to undermine it will be screamed and sworn at.
But again, I try to maintain some sceptical doubt that I do not really know her. It's hard to. She is transparent even in (especially in) her lies. But still... she is in my thoughts (too much) and prayers.

right. Today. It's nearly 11 and I have done very little. I didn't wake up (second, post-Basil time) until 9.30. I've vacuumed up the compost from the upsidedowning of my seedlings in the spare bedroom, opened up the balcony and taken up the cold frame kit to construct it up there. (I hope this is the genius idea I think it is :) Sunshine for a good part of the day, a hard, smooth surface, probably no slugs, although the odd snail, extra shelter etc. Downside: increased difficult of watering things. But I have a cunning plan...: ) )

I plan to do a bit more weeding. I could put fertilizer down on left hand side of garden. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so a good idea. It should get watered in.
pot on plum tree?
I should make a dinner. Need to assess which things are likely to go off soon/past their dates. I would quite like to have tortellini, which requires no cooking. But don't want to waste anything.
I am going to leave it at this and add things if I do them.

Gorgeous day here. I hope everyone has a good one.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 05 Apr 2020 12:03

Sisters. I love mine, but I'm the youngest of 3. Naturally the two eldest were told to look after the baby (me), and one of them still feels she needs to tell me what to do. It drives me up the wall. She keeps texting me stuff about Covid 19, which is either misinformation or out of date. I just thank her and ignore it. She means well. And, in the past I have asked for opinions as a way of pleasing people (manipulation? Probably).

Out in the garden again.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 05 Apr 2020 14:50

Done 30 minutes gardening, and my whole body is trembling. Complete shakes my legs - even my tummy. Must be incredibly unfit. So I'm having a sit down to get them under control.

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 05 Apr 2020 15:30

Well done with the gardening, Danny .

I don’t have a sister but do have a sil. A difficult one too and it’s been very sad for OH and his mother . So jj , I can sympathise with your wife , if that’s any help .

It’s lovely and sunny here , so I don’t envy those who have to shuffle snow . There’s something about falls at the moment. I’ve tripped over a few times today , caught my toe on the door frame .

Yesterday daughter and me started a bit on the attic , although she gave up after a while and started strumming on her guitar instead. She said for me to be careful lifting heavy things . Anyway , I’ve put an extra table in the attic for her and found an old light , so she can do her drawings. We really have to go through some of the boxes though :/ .

Have made a toddler invention cake . Well it’s in the oven . It’s just things you find in the cupboard that you didn’t realise you had and should be used up . We’ll see how it turns out . It’s mainly for OH as this morning he ate the last of the ‘rock’ cakes , ‘what on earth are these !?’ he shouted with a mouthful.. well it helped his sugar level I guess ;)? .

Haven’t watched any news since The Andrew Marr show , so I think it was good to do things for a bit .

Aj , Rachel , jj , Danny , john , Luna , to doers . Have a safe Sunday !
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 05 Apr 2020 15:44

Be myself, \/

Respecting those for being themselves, \/

f**king those who don't show the same common courtesy.
Social distancing since 1966

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 05 Apr 2020 21:31

Danny, I had to have a lie down after my gardening session today. I went all wobbly too. Might have been lack of food and the hot sun though. I was weeding, fertilizing and mulching and stuck a quite big raspberry plant in the ground.

I should say about my sister that she has been diagnosed with personality disorders, of the not very pleasant varieties. They were diagnosed, but no suggestion was made of of treating them. Perhaps you can't.

I think my accidents are probably stress related. I don't feel that stressed, but I think under the surface... However, a whole (thankfully small) shelf of tinned food falling out of the cupboard on top of me when I opened the door (luckily only thing hurt was my foot, and not too badly) was nothing to do with my pyschological state.
There is a Red Dwarf episode in which they find a good luck virus. Well I think I caught the bad luck one last week. Still there are worse viruses to catch unless the bad luck one makes me catch that too. If I do it's off Basil. I picked him up and kissed him yesterday, and he smelled of perfume/aftershave :o

I hope your cake turned out well, Pickles!
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 06 Apr 2020 10:25

Rachel wrote:
05 Apr 2020 21:31
Still there are worse viruses to catch unless the bad luck one makes me catch that too. If I do it's off Basil. I picked him up and kissed him yesterday, and he smelled of perfume/aftershave
:shock: :lol: I wonder where he picked that up?!

Thanks everyone for your really kind and very useful comments regarding SIL. 'Tis an odd situation. I wouldn't wish strained family relationships on anyone, but it is kind of reassuring to know that we're not the only ones to suffer them and that, sadly, they seem to be quite common.
Rachel wrote:
05 Apr 2020 21:31
I should say about my sister that she has been diagnosed with personality disorders, of the not very pleasant varieties. They were diagnosed, but no suggestion was made of of treating them. Perhaps you can't.
That sounds a bit like SIL. She has always had mental health problems too but grew up in an environment where you did the bare minimum about treating them for fear that anyone outside the family found out about them. This makes me sympathetic to her... but only up to a point, since there is a difference between being 'ill' and being obnoxious, and the former doesn't always explain or excuse the latter.

Also, I think D is right that SIL is lonely. She's an extrovert who loves socialising so she'll be finding being cooped up in her flat difficult. And that's why she suddenly has her estranged family on her mind. Not wishing to sound harsh, but if she was still out gadding about with her pals, she wouldn't give any us a second thought. Harsh, but (I think) true.

Still, I'll keep replying to her for the time being. But no, AJ, it does not make you a bad person if you feel no need to reply to your sister <:)> And I did really appreciated Rachel's point that my newfound boredom constitutes progress.

But enough about me! :D

<:)> D and Rachel, I hope your wobbliness has improved.
pickles wrote:
05 Apr 2020 15:30
Yesterday daughter and me started a bit on the attic , although she gave up after a while and started strumming on her guitar instead. She said for me to be careful lifting heavy things . Anyway , I’ve put an extra table in the attic for her and found an old light , so she can do her drawings. We really have to go through some of the boxes though :/ .

Have made a toddler invention cake . Well it’s in the oven . It’s just things you find in the cupboard that you didn’t realise you had and should be used up . We’ll see how it turns out . It’s mainly for OH as this morning he ate the last of the ‘rock’ cakes , ‘what on earth are these !?’ he shouted with a mouthful.. well it helped his sugar level I guess
That all sounds good, Pickles ;)? How did the cake turn out?

\:)/ Newt!

To do:
  • Reply briefly to SIL's last email
  • Wife organises gigs for local songwriters. This year's season was to have begun at the local theatre last week, but due to The Situation, she's now livestreaming them on Facebook. I'm due to play 'at' the one on Friday but I'll be at work, so today I have to practise my songs and video myself playing them so she can slot it into the livestream. Another woman is recording her segment like this too. The idea of pre-recording my contribution is making me chuckle - it reminds me of This Is Your Life when someone couldn't make it so they'd film a message for them: "Hey, Leonard, darling! I'm really sorry I can't be there for your big night, but as you can see I'm currently getting ready to perform tonight in my latest show on Broadway..."
  • Ring parents
  • Walk dog
I hope everyone has a good day \:)/

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 06 Apr 2020 11:48

Mark when you're recording, be very aware of your background. Me an' a mate were chucking over 'Have I Got News For You, and The Mash Report. How much we enjoyed 'snooping' into their private space, by reading the book titles on the shelves, or counting their hoarded loo rolls.

To do
Yesterday I bathed the dog. Today I've done his bedding.
All the tips are closed, so I've been wondering what to do with grass cuttings. My sister has suggested scattering them as a mulch on a bit of waste ground - which I'll need to clean of brambles and nettles first.
Perhaps some old cardboard down on the waste ground first? I'm open to suggestion.
Finish cleaning off the over wintered pots.
Clean area around the dog bed.
Ignore the shakes. Life has to go on.

Hope y'all are having a good day.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Apr 2020 11:55

Morning. A bit stressed and down this morning..

Good things:
bad things: a writing friend's BIL has died of the virus at the weekend. Feel very sad for her. Also brings it all home, rather.
Sat up last night to try and get a Tesco slot - they allegedly release them at midnight (bastards..). I didn't get one and then couldn't sleep till 4am.
husband unable to get inhaler. Countrywide shortage/utter lack of.

good things: an amazing fruit, veg and milk, bread and eggs delivery arrived. Question: how to decontaminate these?
books for work arrived. Do these need quarantining? Probably not as probably been in transit for at least 24 hours.

Done: (running) dishwasher
put bird food out
rescued bee. (Cats were playing with it earlier :o I had assumed it was a fly. Thank goodness they didn't try to eat it.)
to do: work
empty dishwasher and dishwash bird feeders that are not in use
vacuum stairs
look up when to plant out anemone corms (? I know they need pre-soaking.)
Soak some morning glory seeds to sow tomorrow.
cook something. I debagged and washed the spinach, so unless I can find my salad spinner, will need to use that, I suppose.
look into weighting down crappy cold frame
Nip out with camera when the sun comes out - raindrops on tulips (and whiskers on kittens... although not on Lily as her feline acne makes them drop out.)

I hope everyone's day is going ok.
Last edited by Rachel on 06 Apr 2020 13:02, edited 2 times in total.
Rachel