Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The To Do List

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Re: The To Do List

Post by DannyD » 09 Aug 2020 16:55

The wedding was fine. I got to church and flicked through one of my wedding books and found a much easier version of the trumpet march I'd been fretting over.

My sister is still here, but it's so hot we're just sitting.

Have a lovely time off Mark. One of the bonuses of a 'proper' job, paid holidays.

Hope the operation goes well Pickles.
be selfish in your sobriety.

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 10 Aug 2020 09:21

Morning. And it's Monday. Is it Monday? I think it's Monday. My sister left in the early hours. It's a long drive with two dogs in the car, much cooler to drive through to dawn. And now (though I often listen to her and it drives me up the wall), I miss her.

To do
Hang out the washing
Find some one to help me shift a heavy sofa outside. I have a slot for the tip, and that's where it is going.
Collapse in the heat.

Have a good day y'all

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 10 Aug 2020 11:52

Hope the operation goes well Pickles.

Thanks Danny. He already managed to call , with a groggy throat . Just have to wait till this afternoon then I can probably pick him up . It was quiet this morning and finding a parking place was easy . Waited till he was ‘driven’ away from his room . It’s not far , the hospital thankfully so come back to let dogs out . Daughter was still sleeping ( she’s up for a while now ) .

Heavy here but put some washing in the sun . Hairy dog seems to pee a lot , just hope it’s because of weather and keeping hydrated . Watering orchids, they are doing well . Have phoned MIL twice to say all ok with her son . Will call her later .

Hope to doers are ok and not too hot and bothered.
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 11 Aug 2020 08:57

Morning

Is the OH home pickles? In my experience, men are not good patients. They either get up thinking they can run a marathon immediately, or become little daisies staying groggily in bed letting everyone run around them.

Masses to do
Hang out washing DONE
Take down curtains DONE
Clear walls room one DONE
Empty (small) room two: coats into another room, old diaries into bookcase, dump computer; desk at end of drive and hope someone 'steals' it.
Empty room three - mostly books. No idea where they're going to.
Bill local parish for Saturday's wedding
Get washing back in
Collapse (that'll be lunch time then).

Have a good day y'all

EDIT dog's bed moved, bedding in wash

pickles

Post by pickles » 12 Aug 2020 12:06

Hi Danny. Yes, thanks . He’s been home since Monday afternoon. It was only a day op . He was groggy yesterday but seems better today but taking it easy .
Fair do’s he did look after me after my operation last December. Luckily he seems to be enjoying my cooking ( I guess that’s the feeling of still being groggy😉) . Ah well , in sickness and in health they say ...

I do.... I mean to do:

Actually already done : dogs out for an early ish walk , I’m trying to get up earlier in time before HD’s pee pee accidents but I’m not always on time . Anyway it was a nice walk .

Hoovered and washed downstairs.

I think the achievement of the morning so far is getting daughter up before 10am !!

Hope you managed to get all your list done yesterday, D .

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 12 Aug 2020 16:43

DannyD wrote:
11 Aug 2020 08:57
In my experience, men are not good patients. They either get up thinking they can run a marathon immediately, or become little daisies staying groggily in bed letting everyone run around them.
Reading this almost made me wonder whether we'd shared the same house before, D. How else could you know me so well? ;)
DannyD wrote:
10 Aug 2020 09:21
And now (though I often listen to her and it drives me up the wall), I miss her.
<:)>
pickles wrote:
12 Aug 2020 12:06
He’s been home since Monday afternoon. It was only a day op . He was groggy yesterday but seems better today but taking it easy .
<:)> to you and OH, daughter and furry family, Pickles. I hope everything is going well today!
Rachel wrote:
09 Aug 2020 10:54
On the other hand, Lily has the right idea?!
Beautiful photo of Lily, Rachel! (::) <:)>

Thanks, the holiday is going well. What are we today - Wednesday? Two days left. On Saturday, my wife and I went for a long cycle ride along the coast, for our anniversary. On Sunday, I tidied the garden and mowed mine and the neighbour's lawns. Monday and Tuesday were due to become progressively worse, weather-wise, so I concentrated on painting the kitchen. More of the same today, although it has turned out to be lovely outside. Might sit in the garden in a mo and read a book (I'm rereading a biog of Ashley Hutchings).

I began to get 'back to school belly', last night, curiously. However, today's my boss's birthday and she's so lovely that it reminded me that I'll enjoy going back, anyway. I haven't 'forgotten to do my homework'; there are no 'bullies' waiting to meet me again in the third-form toilets; and my wife long ago washed and pressed my uniform, so... why worry? All is well :D

To do now:
Enjoy the sun. I took the dog out earlier and it was almost too hot - 'close' as they say here, meaning humid.

Tomorrow and Friday:
Paint the kitchen ceiling
Finish some proofreading

I hope everyone is having a good day <:)> \:)/
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

pickles

Post by pickles » 12 Aug 2020 18:45

Anyone seen Shark ?

IMG_a good way to clear the beach!.JPG
IMG_a good way to clear the beach!.JPG (111.36 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 12 Aug 2020 20:00

:lol: :lol: (::)

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 13 Aug 2020 08:39

Morning

I have trades on site. It's muggy. They're in the back bedroom which faces South. The will get hot. I've bought them a fan, but they need to mantle it.

To do
Nothing really. I feel very awkward with builders in the house.

Have a good day y'all

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 13 Aug 2020 09:42

DannyD wrote:
13 Aug 2020 08:39
I feel very awkward with builders in the house.
I know what you mean, D <:)> I hope the work goes well ;)?

To do:
Clean kitchen ceiling
Paint kitchen ceiling
Wash paint off the top of my head and shoulders
Walk dog
Work
Sit in the garden
Eat
Bath, book, bed

Have a good day, all \:)/

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 13 Aug 2020 16:24

Back bedroom is all done. Back room (grandly referred to as they dining room) has sprung a problem. Under the last plaster skim is artex. Which is probably live asbestos. So everything has stopped while asbestos people come out to do tests. If it's positive, they will have to take everything back to bare brick. Oh boy.

My mantra is 'it will be nice' except I really think it ought to be 'it will be finished.'

Junior daughter and family turned up today as well. Lovely to see everyone, but not easy to have two toddlers in the tip my house has temporarily become.

Mark I hope it's not too hot while decorating. You need a fan up yet kilt to keep cool.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 13 Aug 2020 17:34

DannyD,

It’s very often safer to leave asbestos material in place, if it’s in good condition and not likely to be disturbed. Disturbing it will often create more of a hazard than sealing it up and leaving it there, as well as being costly. There is no duty on you to remove the material, and the idea of unnecessarily hacking it back to bare bricks in an occupied house is not a sensible or competent suggestion. Any localised damage can be sealed up with a suitable coating - what is called encapsulating the asbestos.

There are some notes here…
https://eastkenthousing.org.uk/repairs/ ... -the-home/
… and most local authorities will have similar published advice.

It is probably worth having the sampling survey done to establish (a) if the material does contain asbestos, and (b) the extent, but unless you need essential work done on those specific areas, it’s best to leave well alone and just keep a copy of the survey with your home records ;)?
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 13 Aug 2020 20:05

Thanks Trojan. That's really useful information.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 14 Aug 2020 19:57

Evening. A bit late for a to do list. There is something I should do - namely make passata ( \/ ()o the to do list made me do it :) Ooh it was a deliciously intensely flavoured, if rather small bathc.) from tomatoes roasted, oh 2 or three days ago... :? But feeling a bit feeble. I had a nap (waking up insomnia so up since 5.30) and feel really grotty. I also have tomatoes to roast - will do tomorrow.
I have had a mixed bad week.
negatives: Post-operative Basil is now hypothyroid so will have to have meds again. We had a few weeks without... This is potentially problematic from a going away point of view plus galling as the whole point of going through the worrying and expensive op was to have him medication free and improve his life quality.
Lily seems to be deteriorating - vet's and blood tests booked for next week
France and quarantine means trip to house in September hangs in the balance
work is causing me a lot of stress
It’s getting darker earlier and earlier ☹
garden and house are terrible messes - done nothing due to heat.

positives
I don't have to go back to the office until next year. HURRAH!
Shelves put up where cupboard that fell of the wall was. (Slight negative is that they are rather ugly.)
cat sitter thinks we can work around Basil's medical needs. (Slight negative: it means shutting the cats out of all the rooms apart from the kitchen so he can't hide. I shall be taking everything off the windowsill...! The hall and landing are spacious but not very comforting. Better than a cattery though?)
I successfully dyed an outrageously Barbie pink linen dress (eBay purchase) and beautiful dark cranberry red.
I can take unpaid leave to go to France later, if I need to and can, which means I can have a much needed break in September.
Laptop serviced again. Touch wood - it might have sorted out flickering screen as well as the struggling cat-hair full fan. ( I really need ot learn how to clean the fan myself.)
It’s now the weekend! (Not technically, but practically.)
I have the house to myself for the evening.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your break, Mark. Are you working this weekend? (Sorry if you already said so.)

Must be nice to have rooms done up, Danny. All we've done since we moved in 11 years ago is the hall done last year). We now need a new kitchen, of course...

Pickles, Trojan, Luna anyone else? \:)/
Rachel

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 14 Aug 2020 20:29

Rachel wrote:
14 Aug 2020 19:57
positives
I don't have to go back to the office until next year. HURRAH!
You must be delighted and massively relieved to have that confirmed! :) I hope the health of your cats improves <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 15 Aug 2020 10:32

Morning

Thanks Rachel. The builders have finished in the bedroom. Now I'm waiting for a) electrician, then b) decorators, then c) carpet fitters and d) new bed and possibly furniture. None of this can start before the last week in August when my sparky is free. The downstairs, the builders chipped off plaster to fix the crack, and found artex under the skim. This might contain asbestos, so everything has stopped. This is the middle room that I have to walk through to get to bath/loo/kitchen. If it does contain asbestos, this room will have to be stripped back to bare brick. I am living in the front room, which has all the furniture from everywhere. The only comfort is on my bed - which is equally surrounded by stuff. It WILL be nice, but at the moment, it's a nightmare. Not helped because my loo handle broke and wouldn't flush.

To do
Find the positives in life.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 15 Aug 2020 18:15

DannyD wrote:
15 Aug 2020 10:32
If it does contain asbestos, this room will have to be stripped back to bare brick.
That's so annoying, D! <:)> As Trojan said, do check out all the regs before agreeing to any drastic work, won't you?
Rachel wrote:
14 Aug 2020 19:57
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your break, Mark. Are you working this weekend?
Thanks, Rachel! Back to work today. Spent the afternoon working with my favourite collegue, though, so it passed quickly and enjoyably.

That's great news about the office! But I hope the cats improve <:)>

\:)/ and <:)> to all! Lovely evening here, but I'm cream-crackered, so...

To do:
Eat
Make sandwiches for tomorrow
Bath, book, bed

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 16 Aug 2020 09:53

Morning
Dull and damp here.
I should do gardening - need to cut things back and pot things out and on. As ever. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. Not sure if I am very down or physically a bit blurgh. Genuinely can't tell. Probably both. But I'd like to go back to bed :o
to do
something in the garden before it rains
passata-ize big batch (4 trays) of tomatoes I roasted last night
could go out I suppose... but then won't get stuff done.

Lily has started limpoing. She has a lump in her paw. She was sitting with the paw in the air yesterday.

Glad you enjoyed your first day back, Jjjj.

Danny I imagine part of you wants the possible asbestos out. It was almost certainly safe before they uncovered it. It's only when the fibers escape that it's a problem. I am sure you have googled it. I suppose you could wear a mask if you are worried in the meantime. Not sure a Covid mask would do though unless you have a high spec one.

We will have to have a new kitchen installed sooner rather than later now. We had shelves put up on Monday where the massive wall cupboard fell down though.
Rachel

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 17 Aug 2020 17:51

Done

Been at Paulton's Park all day.

To do
R and R

DannyD

Post by DannyD » 18 Aug 2020 17:40

To day. Just for a change. Which it's not. I feel as though I'm falling apart.

To do
Pull myself together.