Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Stopping Smoking

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
jaxom5

Re: Stopping Smoking

Post by jaxom5 » 10 Sep 2013 18:27

Right then, let me start with a confession. I was having a cuppa and a natter with 'er next door last night, as we do, and she was rolling up. I was watching her making her ciggy, quite mindlessly, but she thought I was looking longingly at the baccy so she said: 'Do you want one?' and offered it to me. No prizes for guessinng what numpty head did. Later on he had a second.

This morning I woke with a sh**y feeling of dismay and an equally bad taste in my mouth. I went to the local shop and while my purchases were being scanned I actually felt my eyes wandering over to the rows and rows of you-know-what. Ooh! I didn't but by golly you can get drawn back in so quickly with this just as with drinking.

Lesson learned, resolve strengthend, smacky handies and moving on.

Edit: Right, that's two posts so far and both contain the word 'numpty'. Should we make this a challenge/tradition?

Puppy
Last Drink Date: 23 Sep 2013

Post by Puppy » 10 Sep 2013 18:34

Hi Zoe and Jaxom,
How about offfering 'ER an E/ciggie when you next bump into 'ER! ;)?
Yes, if you know me, I have a solution to everything, except my own problems. :(

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 10 Sep 2013 18:35

[Edit: original post replaced by the Wolfie timeline which I had stored on my computer.]

One bit of information that I do think we need to recover is 'Wolfie's Timeline'.

Within ...

20 minutes Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.

8 hours Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.

12 hours Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.

24 hours Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

48 hours Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.

72 hours Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.

5 - 8 days The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

10 days The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

10 days to 2 weeks Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

2 to 4 weeks Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.

21 days Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.

2 weeks to 3 months Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

3 weeks to 3 months Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.

1 to 9 months Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.

1 year Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a non-s,oker
Last edited by jaxom5 on 10 Sep 2013 21:46, edited 4 times in total.

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 10 Sep 2013 18:38

Hi Puppy. Posting seperately to keep the timeline thing on its own. I don't have or do E-cigs or any other
HRT or whatever it's called. No point in offering her cold turkey because she is a vegetarian. I think my
only option is to offer her: 'No thank you. I don't smoke, numpty.'

Finley

Post by Finley » 10 Sep 2013 18:40

Yaay the SS thread is back (::) (::) Thanks for posting Wolfie's timeline Dave - really helpful. I am still gearing up for my quit so will stay fairly quiet for the moment - but will visit as others here are inspiring me towards my quit xx
I want to be the best me I can be ...

Puppy

Post by Puppy » 10 Sep 2013 20:59

Thanks Jaxom,
That timeline is interesting and may help me to stop the chewies once and forever.
Thanks again.

Puppy

Post by Puppy » 10 Sep 2013 22:19

Well done Digger! ;)?

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 » 11 Sep 2013 12:33

Hi smokey joes or smoke free ones (::)

I'm coming up to 6 weeks smoke free - stopped the day I stopped drinking.

A lot of my posts seem to centre around ''smell' or lack of it. I don't know why - I have a worry about smells. Smoke smell being a main one. Sat next to a man on the way home who positively reeked of stale smoke. It was gross. I could smell his breath as well. I don't ever want to smell like that again. It made me want to hurl! :evil:
You can't pour from an empty cup.

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 11 Sep 2013 12:43

so glad wolfies timeline was recovered
the old place just would'nt be the same without it..........

Finley

Post by Finley » 13 Sep 2013 15:12

Heard an interesting discussion on the radio yesterday about e-cigs. Some professor from a London university thought e-cigs were potentially the best development to help people stop smoking that's every been marketed - there was another person on the programme saying that e-cigs needed to be regulated and licensed as medicines, like 'traditional' NRT. The prof thought licensing and regulating was a bad idea because of the costs involved. He pointed out that only the tobacco giants would have the money to pursue this and they have no interest in developing e-cigs which are in competition with their own (harmful) products. The prof thought the only way e-cigs will be developed and improved will be if they remain a 'consumer choice' rather than a regulated medicine...........I guess most importantly he was saying that even the cheapest and least developed e-cig products are clearly thousands of times less harmful than tobacco.

Funny they make me cough though..... :evil:

Finley

Post by Finley » 13 Sep 2013 21:04

:lol: Digger

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 14 Sep 2013 19:35

First week out of the way!!!! just done seven straight without a ciggie, bought myself some vaping kit and never looked back. This week starts the tapering, Mixing 9:1 16mg with zero of the same flavour, next week 8:2, you get the picture! So far I have had no problems just great flavours and no nicotine rattles, sense of taste and smell flooding back and lungs feeling slacker every day and no stinky clothes, plus it's a real cheap way of getting your fix!! the strawberry cheese cake flavour is lush and I mix the chocolate with mint to vape after eight :lol:

The initial kit was less than what I'd smoke in a month (80 euro) and for me a fortnights juice (30-40ml) a little over 7 euros, same price as 40g of baccy, quids in!!!!

Pushing for nicotine free by Chrimbo.

My kit.

Batteries-900mah ego twist, 900mah usb pass through ego.

Clearomisers (tank-vaporizers)- protank2, protank mini, smok mini vivi nova (I've fitted all with 1.8 ohm coils) and each filled with a different flavour, vivi nova for work!

E-juice-any flavour other than tobacco!!!!

As we speak I am the longest sober in 20 years and the longest without tobacco in 30!!!

The throat hit off this PG heavy blueberry I'm on at the moment is as good as a woodbine!!!

Vape on!!! ;)?

Edit - Just re-read my post and it just dawned on me that up until a few weeks ago I hadn't heard of vaping, I did try the super smoker about five years ago but it was no way near as good as the kit I have just bought.

Here's a link, subscribe and see about 500 videos by Todd on all the vaping kit there is, it's working for me!! just up to me to gently taper off the nicotine and pass the kit on to a mate when I'm finished, or continue to save lots of cash vaping instead of smoking!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjrsko_ ... t2j_c1-Ab7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Social distancing since 1966

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 15 Sep 2013 09:49

Yeah, what is that all about then Kaz? They are legal but it is illegal to sell them, is that right?

Nice to know your government is as daft as ours at times. :lol:
Last edited by jaxom5 on 15 Sep 2013 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 15 Sep 2013 09:54

lostfish wrote: only i could quit smoking n still drink...
Not just you Fishy one. I quit the fags over 10 years ago. Carried on drinking for another eight years (drinking more in fact cos I had extra cash to splash) :oops:
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 15 Sep 2013 14:28

Oh, Uncle Nick-o-teen you are so sneaky. I had this sudden urge to find a document which is important but I don't need it right now. Then :!: I am not looking for that document. I know for a fact that somewhere in the house is a packet with 3 or 4 very stale ciggies in it wot I hid when I stopped. Should have binned them but convinced myself I needed a security blanket. I am really looking for them, not that document. AAgghh! I won't go shopping but if I find them...... So made a cuppa and came on here instead. Bloody addictions. The stronger you get the sneakier they become. :twisted:

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 15 Sep 2013 20:46

Na, that's not me Digger and who's Charley? :lol:

It just got cheaper, found this web shop selling off e-juice for a steal so I bought a load of different nicotine levels, enough to see me through till xmas for the price of a weeks fags! I got a mix of flavours so tapering will be tasty to say the least!

Sorry it's in Dutch but I do live in Holland :roll:

http://www.e-cig4u.nl/koko-overige-smaken" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
Social distancing since 1966

Finley

Post by Finley » 17 Sep 2013 09:27

Hi all. I've decided I'm going to join in the 'Stoptober' challenge. I haven't tried it before, I think because I didn't feel confident enough to join a SF challenge as such and so have 'gone it alone' (well, not quite, because I went to the stop smoking clinic). Anyway, I've been trying to think about a quit date, how to go about it etc and then I got an email about Stoptober and thought it might be worth a try. I think there's also an Ocsober challenge? Thing is, the Stoptober blurb says it's a 28 day challenge and there are 31 days in the month - and it doesn't say whether it starts on the 1st or whatever - does anyone know more about it?

Finley

Post by Finley » 17 Sep 2013 13:26

Hiya. Have checked out stoptober and apparently it begins on 01 October and runs for 28 days. Not sure really whether that's going to be the 'best' day for me to stop - I don't think there is one really, and a large part of me thinks it has to be when I feel 'ready' (whether that's before or after) but I thought it was worth signing up and ordering the support pack in any case. I definitely DO want to kick the weed once and for all. I know it's bad for me and the amount of money it costs is quite scary, especially considering I'm skint :(

jaxom5

Post by jaxom5 » 19 Sep 2013 20:14

Well sh 1 t. Guess wot I did. I smoked. It was that or drink. I hope that was the right wrong way. Drinking would destroy me. Bit piddled off with meself though. Daft apeth. Got those withdrawals to go through again. Stupid man.

Puppy

Post by Puppy » 20 Sep 2013 16:17

It's ok Jaxom,
One cigarette is not here nor there but picking up one drink could be fatal. Go easy on yourself you are not perfect...yet.. And puff away if it helps you today.
You're not drinking so give yourself some praise where praise is due.
(::) (::) for you Jaxom.