Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Stopping Smoking

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Zandra 1
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2015

Re: Stopping Smoking

Post by Zandra 1 » 05 Feb 2015 14:04

Naughty little newt wrote:Ok, the round up! We have found out over the past few weeks that over heating an e cig to the point of unusable is bad, we have also been told that propylene glycol is bad, now we are told that e cigs have 1% of the free radicals of cigarettes, also bad, that big tobacco is behind all this just to keep us hooked on nicotine, very naughty.

But never fear, the government has just approved an alternative to the demon e cig. Yes folks for almost the price of a pack of ciggies you can enjoy the pleasures of something that isn't vape or smoke but VOKE!

Voke/Nicotine 0.45mg Inhaler

MEDICINAL PRODUCT
Other ingredients consist of the pharmaceutical excipient
propylene glycol, ethanol,
saccharin, levomenthol and HFA13 considered to be the standard to be applied for this
propellant.

So if e cigs, patches, gum or cold turkey just doesn't cut it for you there is an alternative that's got lots of chemicals in it.

Right, you'll be pleased to know that the rant is almost over so the thread can get back to the lovely Finners and Zandra who are the real achievers here, cold turkey is admirable and both of you deserve a (::)

I'm going to ask LB to co-host a vaping thread with me called facetube! a place for people who enjoy lung candy :lol:

However you quit it will be the best thing you will ever did ;)?
Hahahahahahah!! :lol: Why not call it 'Fag break' FB for Vapers who broke away from the Cigs ;)?

Love Zandra xxxx <:)> <:)>
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.
Epictetus

All philosophy in two words, — sustain and abstain.
Epictetus

Born to rock and roll
not roll rock bottom
by Zandra

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 05 Feb 2015 14:11

BTW love, fluoride's put in the water to mask the taste of newts piss :lol:
Social distancing since 1966

Finley

Post by Finley » 05 Feb 2015 15:29

Err......I didn't quit cold turkey, Newt - I used Nicorette Quick Mist (NRT mouth spray) and also inhalators (plastic ciggie thing with a capsule of nicotine inside) - and found the Quick Mist very, very difficult give up........still, haven't smoked for nearly 15 months and although I still quite like the smell of a freshly lit cig, find stale smoking disgusting and am not tempted to buy/smoke any cigs. Personally, never got on with the e-cig, tried it ages ago and it made me cough :roll: but don't know enough about it to have a real opinion one way or t'other....
I want to be the best me I can be ...

Newt

Post by Newt » 05 Feb 2015 15:42

Sorry Finners, I assumed and was wrong, but you quit and you did stop with the mist so job done (::)

I still think you're a hero <:)>

Zandra 1
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2015

Post by Zandra 1 » 06 Feb 2015 07:12

Meanwhile back at the ' stop smoking thread' :roll: :lol: :lol: 28 days SF!! YAY!! \:)/

Zandra xxx <:)> <:)>
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.
Epictetus

All philosophy in two words, — sustain and abstain.
Epictetus

Born to rock and roll
not roll rock bottom
by Zandra

Newt

Post by Newt » 06 Feb 2015 09:01

:lol: :lol: Brilliant Zandra, you're a better man than I'll ever be. :lol: (::) (::)

Finley

Post by Finley » 06 Feb 2015 12:40

(::) Zandra (::)

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 11 Feb 2015 06:25

And more good news but by no means a hero, it just happened. My pseudo fag ran out of nicotine, I still puffed on it for a couple of days - a comfort blanket? - then laughed at myself. I learnt to suck my thumb as a baby so? :lol: It is all in the mind, which does not make it easy but knowing where it lies is half the battle. Nicotine free again and happy to be so.

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 Feb 2015 12:10

Last 2 days I have really craved an actual cigarette, old habits die hard, but I have managed, I will start to cut down the nicotine intake gradually once I am over this stressy time.
<insert pathos here>

Newt

Post by Newt » 13 Feb 2015 14:23

Hello LB I don't know what mg/ml you are on but I guess around twelve to sixteen. this as you can see where some side by side tests between cigarettes and two types of popular e cigs with nic levels of between 16-24mg per unit? the refill, looking at them I would suspect the units contain one to two ml.

Taking into consideration that the e cig vapour had 85% less nicotine at those levels than the tobacco did I would say don't rush into lowering the mg/ml just yet and be happy with just not smoking, it took me about six months of gradual reduction to zero without any pain but I did sit on the 16mg/ml for about the first 4-6 weeks before dropping to 12, then 6 after a month or two and then 4, 2. 0.

I could have smoked within the first three or four weeks but after that the urge had gone for tobacco altogether.

As I've always said from my experience and only recently proven is that the amount of nicotine in e cig vapour is far less than in a cigarette, even at the soon to be new legal limit of 20mg/ml, think how much I'm getting from my 3-4mg/ml in relation to a fag! Plus as it states in here less addictive as you would think, nicotine gum comes in 4mg, my home brew at 4mg/ml but most of it is destroyed and or isn't absorbed by me.

Well done on not smoking and in a few more weeks cigarette cravings will not be an issue, as you say old habits die hard but for me died a hell of a lot quicker vaping! ;)?

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 Feb 2015 15:58

All my stuff is 18mg, so quite high really, I would have cracked without an equivalent dose. Undoubtedly.

I know it's just a replacement but right now it's helping me, got about 2 months of supplies left as I over ordered by mistake, but it's the longest I've gone in adult memory without lighting a fag.

gestures with pipe
<insert pathos here>

Newt

Post by Newt » 13 Feb 2015 16:19

Thinking back at the amount of fags I used to smoke before I quit I should have started on 24mg but at that time the shop only had max 16, that researcher Dr Farselinos who has spent three years looking into e cigs reckons along with others that between 40-50mg would equal a fag, must taste bloody awful though as 12mg now would rip my throat out!!!

Anyway, back to my custard! ;)?

Finley

Post by Finley » 18 Mar 2015 12:15

Hello to any Quitters who might be looking in. I worked out this morning that if I'd carried on smoking rather than stopping in November 2013, I would have smoked another 14,460 fags since then :o :o Yep, over Fourteen THOUSAND cigs would have been consumed and I'd have spent £7230.00 on them :o :o The mind boggles. Instead, I've paid for 2 weeks in Tunisia, 2 weeks in Cyprus, (and spending money for both trips) a few short weekend breaks in the UK, bought my daughter a 'tablet' for Uni work and had several trips to the theatre. I know the health benefits of not smoking are more important than cash - but still - it's a great motivator to stay stopped.

If anyone is thinking about quitting the evil weed - it can be tough, very tough, in the first few weeks - but can say hand on heart that in the last six months at least, the thought of smoking has only occurred to me once or twice - and then I just have to think about how awful it would be to become the slave of tobacco again - and the thought soon passes :)

Newt

Post by Newt » 18 Mar 2015 12:37

Nice one Finners (::) The money you save is unbelievable and the health and smell goes without saying and with news saying that they think that the 1 in 2 death rate from smoking is more like 2 out of 3 then it's a wise move and whatever it takes is worth a try in my book, or Alan Carr's!

This is my app, I averaged the price of a packet of tobacco (ex rollie chain smoker) and worked it out to price per 20 and gave myself a 40 a day habit which was what I smoked in ciggies if I was on holiday or wanting to look posh.

Best thing I ever did. ;)?

Newt

Post by Newt » 18 Mar 2015 12:49

On a tangent, didn't this thread used to be one of Tai's or am I loosing the plot? I can't remember it being under Dave's name before today?

Time for a lay down newt :shock:

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 18 Mar 2015 17:47

I'm assuming the changeover occured when Tai needed to change her username Newtie.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2018
First Sober Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 18 Mar 2015 17:54

I think Tai tried to do a bit of merging of posts some time ago and things went a bit oopsy.
It was before she became Tai, and I seem to recall she apologised at the time ...... I think :lol:
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Newt

Post by Newt » 18 Mar 2015 18:52

Thanks Lasses, I thought a few wires got crossed while my brain was busy rewiring but no, not this time! :lol:

Andyc
Last Drink Date: 09 Jul 2013

Post by Andyc » 19 Mar 2015 22:51

Im confused.
Is Jaxom now a lady called Tai?

If so, well done Dave. Any chance of some before and after snaps? And what size did you go for?

:o

daffodil
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2015

Post by daffodil » 30 Mar 2015 09:02

Hi PJ.

Well done for joining us and stopping smoking. How are you doing?

I stopped cold turkey six months ago. I attended an "easyway" session which cost a bit but it was worth it. I am so proud of myself for not smoking for six months. I have not spent a fortune on cigs and despite putting on weight I think I look and feel better. I no longer look grey, my teeth are much better, I don't smell of cigs any more, I am no longer controlled by cigs, I don't sneak around any more and lie about what I am doing when I am with some members of my family who I don't smoke in front of, my children think I am awesome, my hair is shiny, I actually have a brew and something to eat now on a break at work rather than rushing out to the smoking area, I sleep better and I no longer cough and retch when I clean my teeth in the morning.
Like not drinking there are only positives with not smoking and good things happen.

Keep posting, good luck, you can do this!

x