Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Stopping Smoking

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Re: Stopping Smoking

Post by Sandy » 10 Sep 2014 17:37

yes sorry FR, definetly not dissing it either was talking about taking it up after you had given up nicotine for some time......not a good idea methinks

sheila the drill is to conjure up an escape that works for you...................sadly mine is of course chocolate....magnums in particular!! :oops:

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 10 Sep 2014 18:26

FR - I mean't the same as the others. Using ecigs as a means to quit the real thing is an excellent idea, but starting on them when you don't need to is not such a good thing.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

GreenEddie
Last Drink Date: 03 Feb 2015

Post by GreenEddie » 11 Sep 2014 13:18

xxxxx
Last edited by GreenEddie on 25 Mar 2015 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Action -->> Trust ->> Patience ->>.

Finley

Post by Finley » 14 Sep 2014 08:53

Hi all. Allen Carr really didn't work for me - I didn't like his 'attitude' somehow - but I know a lot of people seem to have been helped by his book. We're all different though and I reckon whatever helps, helps - from AC's book to e-cigs and all sorts of other stuff in between. I could never do the 'one cig a day' thing (even though I've sometimes thought I could) - it's always led me sooner or later (usually sooner) back to a full blown 30 a day habit - so I have to stick to the 'not one puff' mantra. Only a week to go until I'm 10 months smoke free :D
I want to be the best me I can be ...

daffodil
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2015

Post by daffodil » 18 Sep 2014 20:16

Hello all.

Tomorrow I stop smoking.

I am booked in for an Easyway session (Allen Carr). I am terrified. I am terrified that I can do it, yet I am also terrified that I won't be able to stop and stay stopped.
Although I have read Allen Carr's book a few times and I understand what he is saying, I still haven't been able to stop, hence why I booked a session.
Its a lot of money but I am hoping it will be worth it.
I am a little worried though that I won't be able to stop and stay stopped without wanting wine.

I am envious of all you brilliant people who have managed to stop.

I will let you know how I get on.
x

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2018
First Sober Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 19 Sep 2014 07:08

Good luck on your first smoke free day today Daffodil <:)> ;)?
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

Finley

Post by Finley » 19 Sep 2014 08:33

Morning all. Daffodil (::) Great to hear you're taking the plunge into a Smoke Free life today (::) Wishing you lots of luck and will be cheering you on as you clock up the days x

Finley

Post by Finley » 19 Sep 2014 15:41

Hiya - just popping in to shout out to Daffodil and say I hope your Stop Smoking session went well today. Something that's worked really well for me is saving the money I'd have spent on cigarettes, every day in a jar. I actually decorated a jar especially for the purpose and although I will be Smoke Free 10 months as of tomorrow, I still put the money in every day. It has paid for holidays, clothes, weekends away, trips to the theatre (a few of those, with friends, with daughter etc) and it's a heck of an incentive - especially on 'wobbly days', to consider how I'd feel if I had to set light to all that cash......

I don't think I can see a time when I'll ever want to give up my 'quit jar' - when I've been stony broke, I've even put IOUs in it, and then put the cash in once I've been paid.

Anyway - very best of luck Daffs and do let us know how it's going xx

Edit: So sorry Daffodil - I first put 'Aprilstart' in this post - I think it's because that's what Daffodils remind me of - lovely spring time flowers. So sorry and hope you're doing well xx
Last edited by Finley on 20 Sep 2014 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

Finley

Post by Finley » 19 Sep 2014 19:09

Cheers Wolfie <:)> Tomorrow is the official 10 month day - but I feel I'm close enough to celebrate (with a bag of midget gems and cake after tea ;) ) xx

Finley

Post by Finley » 20 Sep 2014 07:28

\:)/ 10 months smoke free today \:)/ Oh, how lovely it is to have made it this far. I actually do believe that I have cracked the rotten smoking habit for good this time. Looking forward now to the First Anniversary in a couple of months' time - just before Christmas (and the Quit cash will help with that this year :D ). Thanks to everyone who's been here and supported me because boy, has it helped.

Daffodil - if you're looking in, I hope this is a good day for you and you are able to keep off the weed xxx

Edit: Daffodil - I am sooooo sorry, I called you Aprilstart again :( I don't know if I am having more 'senior' moments or if it's just that it's early, but I won't do it again <:)>
Last edited by Finley on 20 Sep 2014 07:37, edited 2 times in total.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 20 Sep 2014 07:31

\:)/ (::) Well done on 10 months SF Finners \:)/ (::) Fantastic achievement ;)?

EDITED: to change AF to SF :oops:
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Finley

Post by Finley » 20 Sep 2014 07:32

Thanks Zoe and TC <:)> <:)>

Better get dog out now - that's going to be fun (NOT) because it's thundering here this morning :evil:

Sheila

Post by Sheila » 20 Sep 2014 07:33

Congratulations Finley \:)/ <:)> \:)/

It seems incredible it's 10 months already, the weeks have flown by, well to me anyhow ;)

You've done brilliantly <:)>
#4 on the 2020 Challenge

Finley

Post by Finley » 20 Sep 2014 07:38

Thanks Sheila <:)> Better see to dog now - he's trying to climb in the kitchen bin!

Sheila

Post by Sheila » 20 Sep 2014 07:41

That's an improvement from sitting on your head though .... Isn't it? ;)
#4 on the 2020 Challenge

Finley

Post by Finley » 20 Sep 2014 08:25

Sitting on my head doesn't make as much mess as the contents of my bin strewn across the kitchen floor Sheila :? Bloody uncomfortable though.......

Askringdon

Post by Askringdon » 20 Sep 2014 10:52

daffodil wrote:Hello all.

This helpful Best Testosterone Boosters article was great. I understood the smoking trap and how I could get free. However, that was yesterday. Today is much, much harder. They did warn us that it would get harder but they said by day 5 it gets much better. Only four days left to go!! I do feel more positive compared to previous attempts though and if I don't feel better once all the nicotine is out of my system you get a free booster session. So I am going to grit my teeth and get on with it.

I will catch up properly tomorrow.
x
It was 5 weeks ago since I last smoked. It's strange because I still crave them now and again but at the same time when ever I'm around someone who's smoking it makes me feel a bit ill.
Last edited by Askringdon on 25 Mar 2020 10:34, edited 5 times in total.

Finley

Post by Finley » 20 Sep 2014 11:11

Well done Askringdon (::) (::) Would love to reach a stage where smoke (fresh that is, not stale) made me feel queasy - I still feel pangs of nostalgia for a cigarette if I'm near someone just as they light up - mind you, I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy the reality of a smoke after all this time. Whatever, I'm never going to find out, cos I will stick to the 'not one puff' mantra - works for me x

daffodil
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2015

Post by daffodil » 20 Sep 2014 16:29

Hello all.

The stop smoking session was great. I understood the smoking trap and how I could get free. However, that was yesterday. Today is much, much harder. They did warn us that it would get harder but they said by day 5 it gets much better. Only four days left to go!! I do feel more positive compared to previous attempts though and if I don't feel better once all the nicotine is out of my system you get a free booster session. So I am going to grit my teeth and get on with it.

I will catch up properly tomorrow.
x

Finley

Post by Finley » 20 Sep 2014 16:33

Hi Daffodil \:)/ Really glad the session went well. The first few days are rotten (well, they were for me) but it absolutely does get better. 10 months in, I rarely think about cigarettes now, unless I'm with people who are smoking. Stick with it, and take the follow up appointment if you need it <:)>