Stopping Smoking

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Re: Stopping Smoking

Post by Spats »

Hey great going folks (::) \:)/ I got to day 33 and caved but back on it again tomorrow. I never really missed them to be honest but last night I had a drink...or few...and decided to buy a pack of cigarettes too. All gone now so day one again tomorrow for both... AF and SF ;)?

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Spats wrote:
14 Feb 2021 16:35
All gone now so day one again tomorrow for both... AF and SF
Excellent, Spats! I hope day one goes really well ;)? <:)>
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Spats

Post by Spats »

Day one complete, doing fine ;)?

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Nice one, Spats ;)?
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

Well done , Spats (::) Hi Mark .

This morning in town , someone dared to take their mask off ( just joking about the dared word) and have a cigarette. In the old days I would have just walked past them and probably breathed in a bit of smoke without flinching and probably wanting to breathe in a bit more .

Today was very different, I crossed the road and held my breath till I was further away from any ciggie smell . If there had been anymore smokers I’d probably have been zigzagging along the road !
“I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.”

~Charlie Chaplin

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
17 Feb 2021 16:29
Today was very different, I crossed the road and held my breath till I was further away from any ciggie smell . If there had been anymore smokers I’d probably have been zigzagging along the road !
Nice one, Pickles! ;)?

Got to admit, smoking made me think about the transmission of Covid. A smoker's (or vaper's) cloudy emissions prove how far a person's breath can travel. Obviously, tobacco smoke is breathed out more forcefully than a normal exhalation but, even so, it's a useful demonstration of why masks are good thing.

Now I've quit, I keep out of the way of other people's cigarettes. I'm not sure, at this stage, whether or not I'd find the aroma attractive! :)

The sight of cigarettes is no longer appealing, that's for sure. Saw a young man yesterday trying to light a cigarette in a strong breeze while he held his large dog on a lead. It just looked sad and desperate. But that would have been me three months ago - standing in the cold, my frozen fingers trying to roll and light a ciggie (w)

Not smoking is good! ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

How are you getting on, Spats? <:)>

3 calendar months for me today: Nov 20th ~ Feb 20th. Very surprised and very pleased.

I did have a smoking dream last night, which is rare for me, but it was probably the result of me thinking about this anniversary before bed, last night.

If anything, the dream reminded me not to become complacent. I could smoke a fag today and be fully addicted again by the end of the weekend.

So, it's time to set the next target, and get climbing up the 6 month mountain. Crampons on, best foot forward, no turning back ;)?

\:)/ and <:)> to all.
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Mark. wrote:
20 Feb 2021 07:31
3 calendar months for me today: Nov 20th ~ Feb 20th. Very surprised and very pleased.
Well done Mark (::)
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Fanks, TC ;)? <:)>
~ Marianne Faithfull

Spats

Post by Spats »

Mark (::) (::) (::) 3 months - now these months are under your belt they say you have a great chance of staying smoke free. Afraid I fell down but I got through 7 days AF \:)/ Today I start again with the patches and everything else I have.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Spats wrote:
21 Feb 2021 12:22
I got through 7 days AF
Excellent work, Spats! Well done! \:)/ (::) \:)/
Spats wrote:
Today I start again with the patches and everything else I have.
Brilliant! I know you can smash it! ;)? <:)>
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Spats wrote:
Today I start again with the patches and everything else I have.
I stopped/started countless times before I finally cracked it Spats. Doesn't matter how many times you try, don't give up on giving up ;)? <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Spats

Post by Spats »

Will stay strong with not drinking plan, 7 days is the first clear week for a long time. Will work on not smoking - can taste cigarettes now (not smoked since Saturday though) and the taste is vile

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
22 Feb 2021 08:43
Doesn't matter how many times you try, don't give up on giving up
Excellent advice, TC! I think the more often you try, the stronger you become and the longer the periods of abstinence grow until one day you enter one that just doesn't end ;)?
Spats wrote:
22 Feb 2021 08:48
can taste cigarettes now (not smoked since Saturday though) and the taste is vile
Excellent, Spats! (::)

It has helped me a lot to remember that whenever I've given in to temptation before, the first few ciggies are really revolting. One always imagines that the first cigarette after not smoking for a while will taste great but it never does, it's always a horrible disappointment.

I never want to stick another of them in my gob!
~ Marianne Faithfull

Spats

Post by Spats »

Two weeks AF and one week SF (::) I’ll keep on keeping on ;)?

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Spats wrote:
28 Feb 2021 22:12
Two weeks AF and one week SF
Excellent work, Spats! I'm really pleased for you!
(::) \:)/ ;)? <:)>
~ Marianne Faithfull

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Two more days to go and I'll have been very happily smoke-free for four months. Just thought I'd post here, though, as an interesting thing happened yesterday that I'll need to keep an eye out for in the coming months.

Yesterday was a blindingly lovely day, warm and sunny. Took the dog for a long walk and when we got back I even considered sitting in the garden.

Now, what was it I liked to do while sitting in the garden? Read a book? Yep. And...? That's right, I loved to puff away like an industrial chimney, sucking in the tar like I was trying to build a motorway in my lungs.

And, actually, yesterday I kind of missed it, and I had the strongest cravings I've had in a long while. So, I didn't sit in the garden because I wasn't sure I wanted to (or could be content to) read outside without bellowing away like Ivor the Emphysematic Engine, enveloping the neighbouring gardens in clouds of fetid tobacco smoke.

But that's something I'll need to get used to, now that summer is a-coming in. And weirdly, after an overcast start, today has turned out just as lovely but thankfully all the old urges have vanished, and I can't think now what could have possessed me yesterday to even consider having a fag.

However, it's been a good reminder that there are still occasions and situations where I used to smoke but mustn't any more.

Ramblings over! ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Mark. wrote:
18 Mar 2021 13:42
Now, what was it I liked to do while sitting in the garden? Read a book? Yep. And...? That's right, I loved to puff away like an industrial chimney, sucking in the tar like I was trying to build a motorway in my lungs.
Well done for not caving in Mark ;)? The early day 'firsts' (first time for an event/situation without a smoke) are bad enough, but then you get the sneaky ones later on that can catch you off guard (like your first time in the garden). Glad it went well and that's another first that you can mark off as done and dusted ;)?
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
18 Mar 2021 14:22
Glad it went well and that's another first that you can mark off as done and dusted
Thanks, TC <:)> Yes, you're right - the craving was sneaky for being so unexpected!
~ Marianne Faithfull

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

6 months without giving in to a gasper! \:)/

Had a few mild nostalgic pinings last week, plus a couple of smoking dreams. I always seem to get a bit wobbly prior to an anniversary - it must either be nerves about failing or, conversely, a natural temptation to press the self-destruct button just before success.

But who cares? The pinings came to nothing and the dreams only reminded me why I wanted to quit the little cyndrical b*$#*%ds in the first place.

Goal-setting has really helped me this time, so roll on 20th August and the 9 month mark ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull