Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Stopping Smoking

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Mountainhare
Last Drink Date: 30 May 2020

Re: Stopping Smoking

Post by Mountainhare » 14 Jul 2020 06:29

Morning newt, there are no positives for me either vaping or smoking mate. Glad it works for you though.

Day six without the nicotine spray, over a week now without smoking. It’s getting easier, but there is still that underlying
niggle so I need to keep focused on not smoking one day at a time until the time builds up and I stop thinking about it.

How you doing Mark?

Even though there is an association with smoking and coffee, especially in the morning, I have been drinking more coffee - usually I only have one in a morning - I think it is because it gives me a bit of a kick You know?

Anyways, I just bought this espresso maker. It’s ace.

06FFAF6B-EB9C-41E8-B057-73C6B2CEBD78.jpeg
06FFAF6B-EB9C-41E8-B057-73C6B2CEBD78.jpeg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 14 Jul 2020 08:19

I fully agree with you MH and the whole affair with the colitis came as a shock that took some believing at first I can tell you, it also came as a disappointment and an education in the same package.

Over a period of about eight or nine months I'd gradually reduced the nicotine milligram by milligram and was about two months into zero mg, the most successful quit attempt of the 32 years of smoking out of all the methods I had tried, including acupuncture. Then holy hell broke loose on my insides, blood coming out of me and pains in my abdomen that made sleep almost impossible, at first I thought it was damage done by drinking and went to the doctors one day expecting the worst. After the intrusive but strangely humorous colonoscopy conducted by two female doctors and one female student as observer I was diagnosed and prescribed mesalamine and the relief that it was nothing terminal.

After about another six weeks of using the meds which were debateable in their effect and sticking to my guns about no nicotine, out of shear desperation and curiosity I bought a bottle of 6mg and within two weeks went in to remission and have stayed there ever since, that was the summer of 2014, after playing about with the dose I spent a few years on 2mg but felt I was teetering on the edge of flaring and seemed to be using a lot of juice, now thee to five ml of 6mg per day and you wouldn't know I had an easily triggered chronic bowel syndrome.

If it hadn't have been for all this there is a good chance by now I would have been an ex smoker and ex vaper for six years, to be an ex nicotine user the trade off would have been a life time of medication that had a limited guarantee of full quality of life and if things deteriorated too badly they would have possibly chosen the nicotine enema route anyway.

Obviously vaping isn't safe but then again nothing under and including the sun is, it's harm reduction, a concept we use virtually every second of out lives covering thousands of aspects of our daily routine, even more so now with the corona virus with its hand washing, social distancing and trendy face masks. From decaf coffee to a motorcycle crash helmet harm reduction is at play everywhere, for some that skidlid is enough, for others they prefer the increased safety of not riding the bike in the first place, it's freedom of choice and thankfully we still have a bit of that left in life!

I applaud anyone who can quit smoking cold turkey, it beat me countless times and I fully understand the want to just put fresh air (when you can find it) into your lungs, for me that dream is a little more complicated unfortunately but for a fanatical distance walker who can do up to two marathons in one hike over 13 hours I can live with this method of being an ex smoker, plus the added bonus of quality of life living with a chronic bowel syndrome thrown in.

Keep going everyone, there's a fortune to save and years more healthy times to be gained by quitting smoking ;)?
Social distancing since 1966

Newt

Post by Newt » 15 Jul 2020 07:31

Good news coming out of it ;)?

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 15 Jul 2020 07:48

Newt wrote:
15 Jul 2020 07:31
Good news coming out of it ;)?
Yeah, I bet CV has had an impact on folk wanting to quit. Some good comes from everything eh?

I'm still smoke free and determined to stay that way. It is getting easier.

Mark, you still with us mate? Hope all is ok brother <:)>
Self reflection, meditation and gratitude when logically interwoven provide an unshakeable foundation for living.

Newt

Post by Newt » 15 Jul 2020 09:36

Absolutely ;)? In times of trouble we forget that there is a silver lining ;)?

Thing that perplexes me is, how a virus with a mortality rate of a few % with the prevalence of infected smokers being so unbelievably low that several counties are now doing clinical trials on nicotine as a therapy be a trigger for somebody to quit a habit that they knew fine well had a mortality rate of over 50%, I shall never understand the human mind!

But I certainly understand journalism :lol:

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 16 Jul 2020 08:06

Well, my morning coffee still wants to do a Morcambe and Wise double act with a cigarette, but I’m not having it. Coffee is now a solo artist. The rest of the day isn’t too bad, just odd fleeting thoughts. Mornings are getting better too. I’m not climbing the walls gasping, but it’s still there, that morning cigarette hole.

This is the best chance I’ve got to finally quit after picking up that one Marlborough cigarette about five years back. How stupid!!! I had given up for nearly twenty years! That one cig took me back. Just like boozing isn’t it? I remember the day well. It was the morning I had finally, after three long painful years of trying, broken through the three month barrier to my sobriety. I was in the Vosges Mountains in France on my way back from the southern most tip of Greece. My first big solo motorcycle adventure. I had to stop and write down my thoughts in the diary I was keeping. I've just looked back at it - it was the 10th July 2015. A pivotal point in my recovery journey, but also the day I started smoking again!

Anyway, I’m determined to be a non smoker again. I’m off work for a while now, I’m peaceful, life is going ok, I’m over a week without a cig; there is no better time. Got to keep on.

You still with us Mr. Mark?

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans » 16 Jul 2020 08:17

Good luck matey. You will do it <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 17 Jul 2020 06:09

Thanks Leslans, I believe I will :D

Easier this morning, not really thought about sucking noxious fumes into my lungs.

Off walking today in North Yorkshire, so Ill be sucking in pure, clean Yorkshire air instead - 'nowt better'

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 17 Jul 2020 19:45

Still here, MH - with improved/improving sense of smell etc. ;)?

Apologies for absence!

I hope you had a fab day of walking? :D
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 18 Jul 2020 05:42

Brilliant to hear you’re still smoke free Mark ;)?

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 18 Jul 2020 05:45

Thanks! Likewise with the vaping, MH ;)?
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 20 Jul 2020 05:55

2 weeks vape free today 😎

Newt

Post by Newt » 20 Jul 2020 16:03

Pfizer allowed the patent to laps on Champix? :shock:

After tens of thousands suffering serious injuries and hundreds of suicides the FDA turned a blind eye assisted by Pfizer's ever generous lobbying fund , you watch them kick up a stink now! :roll:

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 21 Jul 2020 08:34

Caved in yesterday and vaped!!

Today I am starting again :roll:

Kitty1986

Post by Kitty1986 » 28 Jul 2020 20:43

Hi all :\: I’m back after a long time away :oops:

Gave up the cigs on 16/3/20 - cold turkey BUT had a couple of blips since then. Now hopefully back on track.

Covid 19 made me give up... scared the S...t out of me...still does in a way. Still get cravings, especially if drink is involved but on day 2 with that and always feel so much better the next morning knowing I no longer smoke...or drink.

Hope you all are having a great evening.

Love Kitty x

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 29 Jul 2020 10:47

Best of luck Kitty. I’m cracking on with a few blips!

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 30 Jul 2020 07:04

Failing miserably at the not smoking. Bought some cigs yesterday and chain smoked them.

Addiction in all its forms is depressing.

I’ll start again today.

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 02 Aug 2020 08:43

So technically I am smoke and vape free, but I am using the nicotine spray daily.

I’ve decided I want to concentrate on my recovery and the withdrawal from and cravings for nicotine are messing with my head and I don’t need that kind of distraction at the moment.

The nicotine spray doesn’t seem to have any negative consequences, apart from costing £20 but that is cheaper than vaping and certainly smoking.

If the spray keeps me off vape and cigs then I’ll take that. Spray it is for now. I’ll come off it when the time is right.

Kitty1986

Post by Kitty1986 » 02 Aug 2020 09:03

Hi MH

You need to do what feels best for you and the spray is certainly better then cigs.

I still get urges to smoke and indeed did have a few blips a few weeks back now. I know I probably will always get urges as I’ve smoked for so long...but that is all they are..urges and they do pass.

I know how hard it is to stop smoking but it is doable and you can do this MH...soon you won’t be using anything and you lungs will certainly be thanking you.

Take care

Kitty x

Mountainhare

Post by Mountainhare » 02 Aug 2020 09:12

Thank you Kitty. Glad you are doing well. It is doable. I know. I quit for 18 years. Then, one cig led to the odd small cigar and eventually back to smoking then vaping. Mad isn’t it?

I know I will stop. I’m only jut over two months back in from a relapse so getting some good sober time under my belt is the first objective. The spray is ok. It stops me getting irritable and then thinking I’ll just have one.

I will stop the spray when the time is tight. I’ll try using it less and less for now.

Thanks for the input. Keep us up to date with your progress.

Well done 👍