Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Generalised Anxiety (GAD) or Excessive Worry

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Re: Generalised Anxiety (GAD) or Excessive Worry

Post by Luckychap » 21 May 2019 10:25

Hi thanks for your messages of support I intend to keep posting on this section until Thursday when I go back permanently and then move to be involved posting in the other areas as like a closure to the whole thing. Does that make sense, just hope I can keep it at bay. My tablets are called escitalopram and are for anxiety and depression. Normally they work ok but I could have done with something else during the last two months. I could not have got through without the unwavering support on here. You are all lovely people x thank you

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 21 May 2019 21:42

Luckychap wrote:
21 May 2019 10:25
Hi thanks for your messages of support I intend to keep posting on this section until Thursday when I go back permanently and then move to be involved posting in the other areas as like a closure to the whole thing. Does that make sense, just hope I can keep it at bay. My tablets are called escitalopram and are for anxiety and depression. Normally they work ok but I could have done with something else during the last two months. I could not have got through without the unwavering support on here. You are all lovely people x thank you
Good thinking LC, post as often as you like, I'll keep an eye out for you <:)>
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 23 May 2019 16:54

Hello lovely people. Well today I went back to work. Clean shaven, white shirt, silver tie. Tried to feel smart so I felt better. I got through the day ok without too much anxiety so I am coming out of it now. I may have the odd bad day but at least I am coming through it. I will be posting on the other areas of the site unless I am helping someone on this thread. Thank you so much for the kindness, support and love. Xx

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 23 May 2019 16:56

Luckychap wrote:
23 May 2019 16:54
Hello lovely people. Well today I went back to work. Clean shaven, white shirt, silver tie. Tried to feel smart so I felt better. I got through the day ok without too much anxiety so I am coming out of it now. I may have the odd bad day but at least I am coming through it. I will be posting on the other areas of the site unless I am helping someone on this thread. Thank you so much for the kindness, support and love. Xx
Many congratulations, Luckychap - you've done so well to get back to this point, and I hope everything continues to go well at work ;)? <:)>
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 23 May 2019 17:19

Luckychap wrote:
23 May 2019 16:54
Well done LC. Take things slowly won't you?
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 23 May 2019 18:56

Hi jjjj thanks for your kind words :D hi SB. Good point as it's easy to slip back. I know I am vulnerable and would only need a breeze in the wrong direction to set me back. I am going to do as you say x

TrueState

Post by TrueState » 23 May 2019 22:13

So glad you're feeling better will see you on the some of the other threads
Oh and I have started reading I met a Monk so thanks for that

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 24 May 2019 23:05

;)? <:)>

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 27 Jun 2019 10:41

Hello, sorry i haven't read back this morning but i have woke up feeling drained and anxious. I think it is because of doing too much this week and meeting up with my mother who is staying in a guest house with her companion. Ive met up with her more than a couple of times and have arranged to meet her today from 11.00 am for the day. Also been doing voluntary work, training and health appointments this week. Last night was a bad one with 3 hours sleep.

I'm writing here just to kind of work out why the anxiety. Its not been too bad for some time now. I think it is because my mother is starting to irritate me and am also very tired. Ive said before she can a difficult character and this is what i'm afraid of. With my lowered coping mechanisms today i have a strong feeling we will clash if i spend the whole day with her, also with the heat and busy seaside shops. So today is probably the day to use self care ? I'm all ready and dressed but it has taken all my energy just to do this and am quite shaky. Have rang her companion's phone to cancel meeting up but it has gone straight onto answer phone (Mum has left her phone at home). I'm determined not to feel guilty at having to cancel, but for some reason i suspect she will overplay her disappointment to make me feel that way. But i won't ! Right now i am reading the personal bill of human rights (all 25 of them, lol) and it states clearly that we have the right to change our minds. Its a great read for those of us who are sometimes people pleasers and forget to take care of ourselves. Hope everyone else is ok, thanks for listening, it helps to write things down and share xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 27 Jun 2019 10:59

<:)> <:)> Nicky

I'm sorry to hear about the anxiety, but I think that your advice to yourself is absolutely excellent - spot on! ;)?

After a combination of factors - meeting up with your mum, voluntary work and appointments, bad sleep, and this heat - you are definitely right to feel no guilt whatsoever about stepping back today and taking care of yourself. It would do neither you nor your mum any good if you were to end up clashing, so well done in identifying the danger zone and deciding to step away from it (::)

I'm not sure that I've heard of the personal bill of rights - I'll look it up! :D

I'd imagine that all the many things you've done this week will have left you tired, and that's when anxiety can creep in - even when the anxiety can feel unnecessary or unfocused. It's just (regrettably) a very natural thing to feel when we become a little bit run-down. I suppose that, up to a point, anxiety might even act as a warning sign: it's the tired mind and body telling you not to overdo things too much. I suppose the trick is to try not to allow the anxiety to run riot and become ingrained.

And, if you're anything like me, you're bound to feel a bit anxious until you've heard from your mother.

But, like I say, I think you're being eminently sensible, thinking it through and realising that you need time to relax and recharge.

I hope your day goes really well, Nicky ;)? <:)>

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 27 Jun 2019 11:21

Ah Mark thank you for your very understanding response <:)> You are spot on, i was getting more anxious until i spoke to my mother this morning, imagining them stood waiting for me at the place we agreed to meet ! I guess anxiety just builds up to a catastrophe in our minds and we imagine all the worst things are going to happen. I think you're right though, the anxiety can be a warning sign to slow down and look at self care. I was wrong about my mother's reaction, she was actually understanding because she gets anxiety herself. Infact because she was supportive i think i can still meet later (just for an hour) to view some flats with them that they are interested in. I can go on my bike, which is better that getting on busy buses or trams. Phew, it shows how important it is to recognise how much we can take on. Thanks Mark <:)>

I'll write out that personal bill of human rights on the relationship with self thread. It is quite useful and empowering ;)? <:)>

Dennis P. Kimbro

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 27 Jun 2019 12:15

Nicky <:)>

At busy times there can be so many factors at play that we sometimes only recognise the overreach when stress and anxiety appear. It’s a positive that you recognised the process developing, and could draw back. Good news too that your mother was understanding :)

Like Mark, I had never heard of the “Personal Bill of Rights”, so thanks for mentioning that :)

I hope everyone enjoys a good day ;)? <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 27 Jun 2019 12:18

Nicky, I'm really glad that your mother was understanding, and I hope everything goes well if you meet up briefly, later today \:)/ <:)>
Shadowlad wrote:
27 Jun 2019 11:21
Phew, it shows how important it is to recognise how much we can take on.
That's definitely true ;)?

Shadowlad wrote:
27 Jun 2019 11:21
I'll write out that personal bill of human rights on the relationship with self thread. It is quite useful and empowering
Many thanks - I'll go and have a read :D <:)> xx

Trojan wrote:
27 Jun 2019 12:15
At busy times there can be so many factors at play that we sometimes only recognise the overreach when stress and anxiety appear. It’s a positive that you recognised the process developing, and could draw back.
Just crossing with Trojan - well put! And I hope you have a good day too ;)?

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 27 Jun 2019 12:49

So pleased your mother was understanding Nicky <:)> Hope everything goes well for the rest of your day. Love the Personal Bill of Human Rights ;)? TC xx
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 27 Jun 2019 23:33

Thanks again Mark, and Trojan and TC <:)>

I hope you have all had a good day xx

That list of human rights is a godsend, lol.

I had a quiet afternoon and just went out early evening, feeling calmer even though mum's mood had changed again, snapping at others, though not me. Somehow felt more empowered to respond, rather than react to any scenario, though it feels like i have to be one step ahead and be alert for potential incident.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Alexendra

Post by Alexendra » 25 Sep 2019 12:26

Hi Tobin !!!! I found this informative posts with some helpful suggestions. I had read it all ….. \:)/ <:)> (::) :\: