Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Generalised Anxiety (GAD) or Excessive Worry

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Iroquois

Re: Generalised Anxiety (GAD) or Excessive Worry

Post by Iroquois » 17 Apr 2019 20:42

LuckyChap

Hello again, I've been away for a while, but have thought about you often!

I agree with the other wise friends that you need to go back to your GP and get things sorted out! Sometimes, physical problems will cause anxiety and depression, such as anemia or a thyroid gland not working right. Did your GP do a complete physical and/or blood tests? Are you eating well? I think you might really benefit from counseling of some kind. I have always been afraid to ask for help! I was never validated as a child, so as an adult, I still find it extremely hard to ask for help! I usually try to find a solution on my own through books or tapes or podcasts. etc.

I don't want to alarm you, but my other addiction was Benzos or Benzodiazopines, which includes Xanax and diazepam (Valium), and you can become addicted so quickly! Go to your GP and talk to him about using Benzos, they have the same effect on the brain as alcohol! A psychiatrist at my first rehab told me that Xanax is just a substitute for alcohol. And, oh boy howdy, the withdrawal from Benzos is about 3x worse that from alcohol! I know, because I have experienced that horrible WD several times! It took me a long time to finally come to grips with that addiction! I have read that the addiction to Benzos is just as bad as the WD from heroin, and I can testify that it is BAD, really BAD.

So, you don't want to go down that road! Please talk to your GP, ask if there is a rehab that you can attend for maybe a week. I did two rehabs, and I tell you, they really, really helped me get a grip on my emotions and fears. A rehab team and a nice rest might just be the ticket! Surely, your boss and human resource people would help you do this if you told them about your situation.

Do you have a SMART organization near you? SMART deals with addictions through CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), this organization is fairly new, but growing. We have few meetings in the states, but I think there might be more meetings in the UK. If nothing else, get the SMART handbook and follow their wonderful, easy plan for recovery. I think I paid $8 for the notebook and it was worth it's weight in gold! They help you get your addiction and emotions under control! Give it a try!

Best wishes, LC and anyone reading. <:)> <:)> <:)> We are all in this together, we help each other. None of us is immune to anxiety, depression, tough days and nights, keep talking and keep trying all of the things available! Sometimes it takes many, many resources to find a way through recovery from addiction and the road is rocky, as we all know so well!

Take care, Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap » 18 Apr 2019 08:45

Hi Iroquois. Thank you for your help. I have been careful with the diazepam as I know how it can really get hold. I am taking one when feeling at my most unbearable. My episode has probably been triggered by a work issue but my resilience was low as I was in a bad state of PAWS. Apart from being a bit chubby, my physical side was ok. I have my work doctor calling me this morning. I am so fearful. I am getting counselling. I am ashamed that I am so ill with what just be insignificant things when compared to what others are having x

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 18 Apr 2019 18:48

Good Lucky! I am glad you are talking to your doc! Just getting someone on your case will help you sort it out! Unless you are stubborn, I can solve it myself kind of person, LIKE ME! But, as I said, from my tiniest childhood, that is what I had to do, fend for myself and figure it all out for myself most of the time! A habit is hard to break! :(

Do ask your GP if he tested your thyroid output! Ask for the test: TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone. That test will indicate if you might need to take thyroid medication. Thyroid problems are very common in white folks from Europe or European descent. Doctors usually make it a common test in a physical evaluation, but not always! So ask, just to be safe!

Also, I went back into my memory bank, and thought of something else that we quitters usually experience but soon forget! Remember that alcohol was like a family member to you for a time! It was as close as a brother or spouse, and you had a love/hate relationship with it, probably! I remember at my first AA meeting, telling everyone that I still wanted to drink! I wanted to control drinking! They just smiled at me and told me that I wouldn't always feel that way. I just could not understand why they all said they were so grateful to be sober! What????

But, now, I am grateful to be sober, but only after I went through a mourning period, a feeling of loss, sadness, really for my old friend alcohol! Perhaps you are missing and mourning your old pal! He wasn't very good to you, but he would numb you out and keep you from feeling true, raw emotions! So, accept that you might be going through a grieving time, and work like hell to fill in those gaps that alcohol has left! I can't insist enough that you must find distractions to stimulate, comfort and soothe you right now!

Read, color, watch DYI shows on TV, or old movies, take an online class, do puzzles, build a birdhouse or some shelves, anything, anything to keep you from dwelling on alcohol and your troubles!

Best wishes, and keep writing it all down here! When I was in the throes of PAWS, I stuck to BE like glue, and BE stuck with me! Everyone helped lift me into the "grateful to be sober" phase, and they will do the same for you!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 19 Apr 2019 09:25

Hiya Deanna and all other lovely people. Had my work Dr report come through and it confirmed that I i am severely depressed and should be supported in my absence . at least I can show my employers how I have been impacted. I am going to try and do some small things today. Maybe clean the oven or something . Thanks all for helping me, I really appreciate it, love and best wishes.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 19 Apr 2019 09:58

Hi Luckychap - I'm really glad that you've had the doctor's report back and that this backs up your need for support. Obviously, I'm very sorry about the depression, but this is good news - good progress. It's good too that you're planning on some small tasks for today - I hope these go well! Very best wishes <:)> <:)>
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 19 Apr 2019 18:33

Thank you JJJJ , I have got hopefully as low I can feel so I am taking that as a positive. I have done a few simple tasks today. I have declined a bbq as don't want to be out in temptation when I am so vulnerable. I keep saying my gratitude thank you s . Best wishes

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 19 Apr 2019 21:46

Hey LC, I hope that having a diagnosis validates how you feel - we are SO good at beating ourselves up when actually we're just ill. At least there's a pathway forward now <:)>
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

TrueState

Post by TrueState » 19 Apr 2019 21:50

Hey LuckyChap

Sending big <:)> your way.

When your low being able to carry out any tasks is a huge achievement. We are all here for you and hopefully now your employers will also be there for you too or at least carry out their duty of care towards an employee.

Things will get better for you LC. <:)>

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 20 Apr 2019 21:53

Thanks lovely people, I am a bit calmer, less worry, just quiet and feel.down but that's a lot better than crying in my hands xx

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 21 Apr 2019 20:16

Hello Everyone! :\:

Good for you LC, let someone take over your health care for now! Let the worry and sadness go for a time! It is absolutely ok to do that, a good thing!

Rest, eat well, find something wonderful to do, take care of yourself! If your caretaker recommends a rehab, go for it, you will never be sorry. It is a great and healthy way to get well. You will learn lots of new things, make great friends and be well taken care of!

Anyone else reading, if you have access to rehab, go for it in your recovery. They teach you to relax, they teach you so much about addiction and why it has a hold on you, they take care of you physically and mentally, and best of all, they feed you great meals!

I entered each of my two rehabs starving, crazy, depressed, anxious, suicidal and by the time I left each one, I felt so much better and had learned so much about why I was an alcoholic and how to overcome that, and a childhood that had not been normal. My last rehab really was the start of my sobriety, although it took another 5 horrendous binges to convince me to finally quit! Amongst the binges I had 8 months of almost complete sobriety!

I wish for you to at least consider rehab, I had Medicare that paid most of it, as in the US is is costly for a 7 day stay. But the UK Universal might pay for it all, I have no idea. It is worth exploration!

Happy Easter, all! Deanna \:)/ (::) <:)> <:)> <:)>

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 21 Apr 2019 22:46

Happy Easter to you my friend and thanks for being there x

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 25 Apr 2019 08:58

Hi all just saying hi. I am signed off still. My depression is worse in a morning. I am having cbt and have had work ohs, just struggling a bit, sorry for moaning . X

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 25 Apr 2019 09:27

Hey LC, good to see you! I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were. Has your medication been reviewed? I think it would be a really good idea to ask for that, if it hasn't.
Completed 2018 challenge

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 25 Apr 2019 10:08

Thanks for replying, I am feeling a bit isolated so it is lovely of you to say hi back. I asked about it but I am on the max . He said I could change it but he said it might make me worse. Guess it's just a time thing x

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 25 Apr 2019 13:13

Luckychap wrote:
25 Apr 2019 10:08
Thanks for replying, I am feeling a bit isolated so it is lovely of you to say hi back. I asked about it but I am on the max . He said I could change it but he said it might make me worse. Guess it's just a time thing x
I would ask for a change - insofar as one can give a professional opinion on the basis of posts on a forum, that's mine. (This is my field of work). If your sleep's poor, than mirtazapine's worth trying, or venlafaxine. Fluoxetine works like a charm for some people. Changing does involve risk as it can take a while to find the right drug for you. However, while you're off work is a good time to sort this out. If you're on the max, feeling as bad as you do, and still having that morning low, then what you're taking isn't working. There's a saying about the illogicality of prescribing that I like "If it works we discontinue it, if it doesn't work we increase the dose"! Medication isn't the whole answer but it seems to me that you need enough of a lift in mood to be able to engage in therapy and lifestyle changes, the start of an upward spiral. Meanwhile <:)>
Completed 2018 challenge

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 25 Apr 2019 16:44

Thanks SB. I understand your point there. I am sleeping but dreaming vividly.I will give it a few more days and see if I lift when I find out what is happening at work.if not then I will try something else. I am a bag of nerves, anything like a phone ringing or or knock at the door and I am shit scared. I was once able to stand up at hold presentations to large groups. Now I can't go to aldi. On the plus side still not bad a drink. Sorry for being a whinging git x

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 25 Apr 2019 16:55

Luckychap wrote:
25 Apr 2019 16:44
Sorry for being a whinging git x
You're not being a whinging git, Luckychap. You're just going through some shit times <:)> Well done for not having a drink, and well done for trying the meds and gauging how effective they are and whether or not you might need to change them.

Keep talking - firstly to the professionals; but also, whenever you have time, to us - it is genuinely always good to hear from you ;)? <:)>
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 25 Apr 2019 18:33

Aww thanks jjjj I am so glad I have people around on here to help me through :)

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 27 Apr 2019 09:07

Luckychap wrote:
25 Apr 2019 18:33
Aww thanks jjjj I am so glad I have people around on here to help me through :)
How are you doing LC? What's your plan for this weekend, some good relaxing self-care I hope?
Completed 2018 challenge