Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Generalised Anxiety (GAD) or Excessive Worry

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Re: Generalised Anxiety (GAD) or Excessive Worry

Post by Luckychap » 27 Apr 2019 17:16

Hi was thanks for checking on me x. I am watching snooker as it's very slow and calming and have been playing around with an old garden bench. I am slightly better so really pleased.
I am keeping positive and doing meditation and trying to see the good in everything. I am so glad I am part of such a great bunch on here. I hope you are all ok x

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 28 Apr 2019 11:18

LC, so pleased a little relief is starting to appear.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 28 Apr 2019 12:53

Thanks SB it's good days and bad days and today ain't great but not that long ago it was all bad days so I will take that ;)?

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 04 May 2019 11:33

it's good days and bad days
How are you doing now LC?

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 04 May 2019 20:17

Hiya SB. It's so kind of you to think of me. I am at the end of a bad week. I have had a lot of negative thoughts and have to go into work on Thursday for a 28 day review. My manager is so cold and direct. I actually told her she is very sharp but it went over her head. I have managed to get awAy to My little canal boat today. I have found seeing baby ducks, lambs and other nature things have felt good and just now I am a bit calmer . I am not well off btw, this boat is 50 years old and bank loan☺. Last time I stayed on it I was shitfaced, I used to get aldi ciders in the fridge and cruise up and down . I fell once mooring up and broke 3 ribs , I had drank about 12 cans . I am amazed I have not drank through this depression but I know it will make it worse x I am truly grateful for you and others that are helping me through x best wishes .

TrueState

Post by TrueState » 06 May 2019 18:57

Hey Lucky Chap

Howse things are you still spending some time on your boat...sounds lovely and chilled.
I hope things go well and move forward for you when you go for your meeting on Thursday. Have a think about what you would like to get out of that meeting maybe write it down to take with you that way if you get a bit overwhelmed and feel that things are taking a turn you can refer to it so at the very least you come away feeling like you got to say the things that are important to you.

You are doing so well Lucky Chap with clocking up your alcohol free days keep going things will get better for you if you do <:)>

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 08 May 2019 10:34

Ahh thank you T S I have to say I am a bit anxious about tomorrow. I know it's standard to see how I can be supported back to work but just feel worried. I want to go back as soon as I feel well enough and maybe just a few hours a day to start with. My biggest barrier is being forced to work with the two people that triggered my relapse .. I have it in my mind that I am fine to do the role just can't work with those two as feel I would be I'll again. I know they don't want to work with me either. I am really grateful of the support I have had on here from lovely people. I would be lost otherwise x

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 08 May 2019 17:09

Good luck tomorrow LC. Please don't go back before you're ready. it'll only set you back. Talking about a phased return when it's time is a great idea.

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 08 May 2019 17:57

Thanks SB. Yes I think you're right. Just mornings maybe to start with . I will let you know how I go on. Not eaten today and feeling a bit anxious but I will just have to get my teeth and get on with it x

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 09 May 2019 17:44

Hi x had my 28 day review meeting. Went into work which was a big step. Spent two hours going over barriers to coming back to work. It was hard going and left me feeling exhausted and really stressed . She agreed to explore an alternative of managing some other people on another site but it took a massive amount of arguing and difficult conversation. I don't feel relief if I am honest. She was very matter of fact with little empathy. At least there is hope I guess x

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 09 May 2019 17:52

Sounds like your held your ground well. And at least it's over!

TrueState

Post by TrueState » 09 May 2019 18:06

Hope indeed LC. Well done for getting through it <:)>

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 09 May 2019 18:33

Thank you both , I hope it works out. Got awful head so going for a bath and a calming bit of music I think.

My old mum and dad are in their late 80s and stuck in their house due health reasons. A while back I bought a tired old little caravan and have been doing it up for them. Tomorrow I am towing it to a country site 30 minutes away. dropping them off and picking them up Sunday just for a change of scenery. They are so excited. Last time I towed it I was so preoccupied it fell off the car carry on style. I hope that doesn't happen! But at least it it's a distraction xx

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 09 May 2019 19:13

Luckychap wrote:
09 May 2019 18:33
My old mum and dad are in their late 80s and stuck in their house due health reasons. A while back I bought a tired old little caravan and have been doing it up for them. Tomorrow I am towing it to a country site 30 minutes away. dropping them off and picking them up Sunday just for a change of scenery. They are so excited. Last time I towed it I was so preoccupied it fell off the car carry on style. I hope that doesn't happen! But at least it it's a distraction xx

That sounds so exciting, LC! (::) My parents are a bit younger than yours and áre still bombing around in their campervan. I do wonder, though, how my sister and I will cope when they can no longer do that for themselves but still want to hop around at weekends. I really admire you for making this trip possible for your parents and I sincerely hope that both you and they have a great time and that it all goes well ;)? <:)>
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 09 May 2019 21:33

Ahh thanks jjjj there is a film called the leisure seeker that is worth watching. Dad is a better person now he is 87 than when I was a kid so I am keen to make his last years as good as they can. That said this caravan is so old I found a newspaper in it with lady di on the front ha ha

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 12 May 2019 11:30

Hello to all fellow Gad Peeps,

Special hi to Lucky <:)>
Good to see you are keeping busy with creative things when you feel up for it. I subscribe to a newsletter about dealing with the mammal brain, the source of anxiety so thought of you when I read the latest. Here’s a short summary

Tame Your Anxiety

Anxiety is a big cortisol pathway built by a big cortisol surge in your past. It turns on threatened feelings a lot because electricity flows so easily into a big pathway.

The solution is to build a new pathway.

Of course it's hard to change your flow while you're in a panic. That's why it's so helpful to build the new pathway in advance, and to build an exit ramp connecting the old pathway to the new one.

First, let's zoom in on the meaning of "tame."

A gazelle doesn't tame threatened feelings by imaging itself on a tropical island. That would not promote survival.

A gazelle tames anxiety by focusing on the next step. On the path in front of it, not the predator. If it escapes it is soon back grazing, enjoying the grass.

The big human brain can anticipate the future. Can imagine a predator even when they can’t smell them. If the human had things happen in the past they may think those things are still happening, because electrical pulses flow easily into those big pathways that were made long ago.

How to handle this flow of cortisol? Here is a twenty minute exercise.

Spend a moment defining your need. Can use HALT. Am I hungry, angry, lonely, tired?

Spend 20 minutes doing something fun to eliminate cortisol.

Spend 1 minute launching next step.

A3993570-3276-499D-B4C9-0640A70D8590.jpeg
The chemicals in the mammal brain. We can make them work for us.
A3993570-3276-499D-B4C9-0640A70D8590.jpeg (17.81 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
LC sometimes it seems easier to isolate. I understand. It’s good when it enhances our growth to have solitude, but we grow when interacting with our fellow mammals. We just have to keep working at it. Lots of love D&D
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 12 May 2019 12:20

Hi all and hi D and D . Thank you for your lovely assistance and helpful suggestion. I am really grateful of your help. On Friday about 5 I got a call saying I would manage some different people and although not away from my wider team, at least I am not working with the people that had issues with me. This gave me some relief, in fact quite a bit of relief. As the weekend has gone on, my anxiety has returned. Quite a bit which is disappointing and I feel a bit frustrated. But at least I am not depressed and I know that I am genuinely ill and it's not like a switch that can just go off and be normal.

I got a lot of joy at weekend and that helped. I towed this 30 year old caravan to a lovely site and set up mum and dad for the weekend. Although old it's tidy and clean. But it did look funny next to the brand new ones ha ha . I didn't care and neither did my parents. I walked slowly with dad, helped him With his food and it felt good to do something positive for someone.

They have booked another weekend in July so have something to look forward to. I hope by then I am a lot better. I bought a kindle book called the magic shop. I am dreading it as it's so so helpful and easy to read. Have a look it's very good. Thank you all for your support and help and yep still not bad a drink :D xxx

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 14 May 2019 13:35

Hi Luckychap,

Great to hear about all the good things happening. It’s your dysregulated chemistry that is preventing you from enjoying them.

I know that surge of anxiety that comes up so strong. The experts tell us that cortisol rush is because our bodies are still adjusting. The longer time sober the less you will feel it. That you are going through so much and remaining sober through it is nothing short of phenomenal.

Is this the book you mentioned? Looks really interesting.
Would like hear your take on what you find.

04A30D38-6828-4A81-8E31-7705DA25B131.jpeg
04A30D38-6828-4A81-8E31-7705DA25B131.jpeg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

The following from my notes jumped out to share with you. You seem to know the fringe psychology types and yes, you correctly observed, they are my thing ;)

“Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A  warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad.  Challenges are simply challenges.”

“What seems natural is to think that a warrior who can hold his  own in the face of the unknown can certainly face petty tyrants with  impunity. But that’s not necessarily so. What destroyed the superb warriors of ancient times was to rely on that assumption. Nothing  can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of  dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Yet it is only under those conditions that warriors can acquire the sobriety and serenity to withstand the pressure of the unknowable.”

Don Juan’s teaching on the warrior

Carlos Castaenada

You have me looking forward to that camping trip in July. <:)>
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Luckychap

Post by Luckychap » 14 May 2019 22:06

Hi done and done, that's a fabulous quote. I am going to write it out. Good shout on the chemistry, it makes sense that I can only start to feel good when the normal levels return.

Yes that is the book and it's wonderful. I love reading it and practicing the meditation. I would encourage anyone with an open mind and a desire for a better life to read it.

Thank you from my heart for your help and to all the others that have helped me through such a challenging time x

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 16 May 2019 21:25

Good to see you getting strong in your recovery, LC! Just take it one day at a time, and keep being kind and generous to yourself!

Just wanted to share an observation that I finally realized!

Once you have really decided, finally, to quit alcohol for good, your old nemesis, ANXIETY, will begin to work for you, instead of against you!

If you have quit, but have succumbed to relapses or relapse binges, I think you will agree with me that when you drink after cessation, you tend to become highly anxious with yourself when drinking again! I had 2 major binges after I quit for "good" and both times, I became highly guilty, nervous, disappointed, etc.!!!!! So much so, that the alcohol had little effect on me as it had back in the day when it was everyday! I just couldn't drink enough to drown life!

I needed to get back to my now comfortable, sane, pretty much all calm, sober life! A life lesson that you will learn only on getting and staying sober for a good, long time!

Remember, quitting alcohol doesn't stop your stress or life challenges, but it sure helps you deal with them so much better!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.