Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

COVID-19 Support & Chat

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

COVID-19 Support & Chat

Post by Newt » 16 Mar 2020 15:34

As suggested by Cowboy, a place to talk about how COVID-19 is affecting you, be it self-isolation, worry, upset at empty supermarket shelves, or just plain fed up with it all.

No fear mongering please ;)?
Social distancing since 1966

Newt

Re: COVID-19 Support & Chat

Post by Newt » 16 Mar 2020 15:39

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson » 16 Mar 2020 15:53

Am okay. 👍😎
36.8 👍😎
Keep on 👍😎

Newt

Post by Newt » 16 Mar 2020 15:53

IQ? :lol:

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 16 Mar 2020 16:25

We're using this locally. Local Facebook pages are being used to co-ordinate, with volunteers taking responsibility to put these through letterboxes in their immediate area. We've very few cases here yet, but wanted to get something in place so that elderly/vulnerable feel supported.

COVID 19.jpg
COVID 19.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Wilson

Post by Wilson » 16 Mar 2020 16:27

Newt wrote:
16 Mar 2020 15:53
IQ? :lol:

🙃😉

Newt

Post by Newt » 16 Mar 2020 19:01

Nice to see more people rallying around and caring for those who need it most ;)?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51908023

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51906744

(::)

Newt

Post by Newt » 16 Mar 2020 19:22

@BethRigby the political editor at Sky news just tweeted this regarding the French approach,

Macron:
- French borders are closing from tomorrow midday. French citizens will be allowed to come home
- Companies might not have to pay any tax & govt will guarantee E300bn of loans. ‘No single company will go bankrupt’
- ****Gas, elec, water, rent bills suspended****

Newt

Post by Newt » 16 Mar 2020 19:36

Typically Dutch solution going down here :lol:

Shine on you crazy diamonds :D

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 16 Mar 2020 20:14

OMG don't even get me started!

I am so sick of Donald Trump, the Federal Government and every soul in this country that voted for him and created this monstrous wave of panic, anxiety and human behavior!

Sick, sick, sick, sick of this fiasco!

I will write more later, just so worried! My daughter is a Respiratory Therapist in a large hospital! I am trying to talk her into quitting her job and staying home with her kids! That might sound careless but our government is failing our health care workers, they are becoming cannon fodder as if we were in war! I don't care! I want her to quit her job no matter who suffers, because health care workers are not being cared for at all!

There, later I will rant more! I am in no danger of drinking, but if things get really, really bad I won't effing care anymore!

Hope everyone else is doing better than me! Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan » 16 Mar 2020 20:17

Deanna <:)>

It's a good idea to have this dedicated thread ;)?

Staying Sober During The Coronavirus Outbreak

https://thesoberschool.com/staying-sobe ... -outbreak/
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Wilson

Post by Wilson » 16 Mar 2020 20:24

This bit of what PM said worries me.

“Pregnant women, people over the age of 70 and those with certain health conditions should consider the advice "particularly important", he said.
People in at-risk groups will be asked within days to stay home for 12 weeks.”

She is 24 weeks now....
Speaking to HR & bosses in morning.

fresh-start
Last Drink Date: 24 Feb 2020

Post by fresh-start » 16 Mar 2020 20:28

I'm supposed to be going to Portugal on Sunday but now pretty much sure it won't be happening. At least its better than being stranded there.

OH has an underlying health condition and he is thinking he will have to self isolate for 12 weeks after this weekend. Not sure if this means I too will have to self isolate in case I infect him? He is Asthmatic.
#10 on the 2020 Challenge

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 16 Mar 2020 21:27

Thanks, Tro, I will have a look at that link.

Freshie, yes, stay in your own country, just to be on the safe side! We had all these people flooding back because of travel bans and what a stupid idea that was! Didn't that orange monster realize that they would all be landing in airports at the same time and present a sardine like atmosphere? How much virus was spread in all of those huge crowds? That dumb idea caused more problem than it solved, for sure!

If I hadn't read the very long and very interesting book about the 1918 Flu Pandemic by John Barry, I probably wouldn't be so upset! Believe me folks, we are headed for a big, dangerous, lethal bumpy ride, so buckle up!!!! It is not just the virus but the recession, if not depression that is inevitable when there is no commerce, no money being exchanged for goods and services, no goods and services in many instances and dwindling supplies! No wonder people are buying and hoarding!

Where is Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt when we need them the most? No drama Obama, please come back, please!!!! We need decisive leadership and what do we have, a Reality Show failure who happens to be a psychopath, narcissist, misogynistic xenophobe!

I am sad and mad about it all! Thank you for letting me vent!

Don't read the above book unless you have the guts for it because you won't like what you read! Of course, our medicine has much advanced in over 100 years, but a virus is a virus, and we have a pandemic! We are not that much removed from the way it was long ago, really!

Good luck everyone, and if you can, hunker down and stay the hell away from people!

Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 » 16 Mar 2020 21:33

Evening all, still taking it all in really, was going to see Les Mis on Monday but the theatre closed tonight and reviewing tomorrow. Do you think people will get their money back on these things? Stay safe everyone. Sue
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 16 Mar 2020 21:45

Thanks for that excellent link, Trojan ;)?
Wilson wrote:
16 Mar 2020 20:24
Speaking to HR & bosses in morning.
I hope they'll have the most up to date answers, Wilson <:)>

Like a lot of people I've been devoting more and more time to thinking about Corona. Obviously this is often very necessary. However, from tomorrow, I'm also going to try to start building-in some lengthy Corona opt-out times: no news, no FB, no fretting (if possible); just taking a break from it, even for only short periods.

We need very much to think about, discuss and prepare for coming days. But it's important to keep guard of our mental wellbeing too and find some alternative distractions.

Mind you, this might not be easy, given I work in a large supermarket (w) :lol:

<:)> to all!

Just crossing with you, Sue! I believe you should receive a refund, and I hope you get it!
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » 16 Mar 2020 23:04

I think that is great advice JJ. I work from home and have from time to time been glued to the news which is everywhere. And it's depressing. It can't be good for you. This morning I took a long walk and did I ever feel better. It's good to find distractions and to know that, while it may feel like the sky is falling, it isn't. Hard times for sure but we need to stick together.

There is also a lot of finger pointing going on about how the situation should have been handled. I don't believe that this helps any situation at all. We were told today in Canada that our border will be closed to all countries with the exception of the US. Our government is taking a lot of heat over this but what are they supposed to do? The US are our neighbours and we are all in this together.

Take care everyone. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

FuzzyDuck
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2013

Post by FuzzyDuck » 16 Mar 2020 23:25

Working at home from today as colleges and unis close, am connected to work via electronic umbilical cord. I live in a sort of commuter village so out-of-town and am going to have to be inventive if I have to stay here for the duration.

My elderly mum is 250 miles away and lives on her own, can't get there before the 12-week stay at home starts (both work and travel restrictions and risk to her) and wouldn't be able to stay with her for the duration any way, a bit stressed about that but we will cope.

Please don't worry re pregnancy advice Wilson, it is very cautious, there's no evidence pg women or their babies are a higher risk, or particularly affected by COVID-19, it's just a huge precaution.

I am thinking of digging out the (pink) 1lb and 2lb weights I bought 2 years ago in a fit of thinking I'd get fit - this may be when I finally get to use them.
#21 in the 2020 challenge
Completed challenges: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim » 17 Mar 2020 03:17

I am having to do the full-on 14 week self-isolation thing, which is not filling me with joy. I had lots of good things lined up that have been cancelled, but in some ways that’s better, as at least I don’t have decisions to make, as I couldn’t go anyway.

The worst thing for me is a family weekend that has been planned for ages, but can’t now go ahead. I am very upset about that, but there is nothing I can do except sit this out. My daughter and her boyfriend are supposed to be staying here to go to a wedding in May, but I don’t know what will happen about that, either. The last thing I want to do is turn her away, but it might come to that if things get as bad as predicted.

Stay safe everyone, and take no risks.

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » 17 Mar 2020 03:35

I really liked the article too, Trojan. ;)?

It’s all so true, we need to be at our best and healthiest right now. <:)>