Cooking: good food tips, links & ingredients

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Yorkie
Last Drink Date: 20 Jun 2011

Re: Cooking: good food tips, links & ingredients

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Jarvis...George beat me to it....was going to send you this link but will bump it up for you anyway - it'll keep it in your mind...keep writing..and look forward to hearing of your cooking exploits - love Yorkie <:)>
In order to be truly happy in this life I have to give up all hope of a better past.

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

...and heres a really simple one to get you going....BREAKFAST: raspberries, banana (mashed) Natural probiotic Greek style Yoghurt, sunflower seeds....mix banana and rasps together, top with Yoghurt and sun flower seeds...tastey and very healthy....
In order to be truly happy in this life I have to give up all hope of a better past.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

That sounds fantastic, Yorkie! Ta for that! (::)

I'll be away from home until Saturday, but perhaps I'll try that on my wife on Sunday morning!

Best wishes,
Mark
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

....good stuff - and far more righteous than bacon and eggs!

George

Post by George »

That does sound good Yorkie :!: I often skip breakfast because mine can be really bland and therefore a bit boring but now there's change in the air ;)?
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Change is good George, and that is such an easy dish to prepare and eat...sometimes I have half a grapefruit - that's super easy to prepare - cut round the edge and then through each segment...sprinkle with a little sugar (if thats your thing ) and it's something that can been eaten fast....keep up the good work, Love Yorkie <:)>

George

Post by George »

Haven't had grapefruit for years Yorkie - Christmas brekkie :?: And seeing as how it's Christmas, I'll pop a kipper in the microwave, it'll be ready by the time I've enjoyed the grapefruit <:)>
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Denise1973
Last Drink Date: 17 Feb 2011

Post by Denise1973 »

Hi All

Im glad I found this thread. I am a real foodie and love healthy food. I studied nutrition at Uni. I am overweight but that is from the booze which has been knocked on the head and I am also on a budget so I will share recipes that I make.

I made this last night. It is a substitute for sauce or gravy and vegetables. It tastes better the next day. I like cooking batches of nutritious food from whatever I have before it gets thrown away before going off. I then live on it for a day or two and freeze the rest in portions.

You can add it to pasta with chicken breast (last night). Today I had it with thin sliced smoked ham on toast with a little grated cheese ontop. You can even have it with fish and mash or if you fancy sausages it goes great with them too.

My super bean marinara sauce with veggies.

2 or 3 onions finely chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic crushed (I like lots but it depends on your taste. It is a big batch so should be ok)
2-3 Bell Peppers (red, green or yellow) Finely chopped
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 jar of either passata or tomato and herb sauce (cheap ones will do)
Pinch of dried chillies (optional, I like it for a very subtle kick)
Salt and Pepper
Mixed herbs, bay leaves, thyme and abit of rosemary. (add your herbs to taste - I like a generous amount.)
Bunch of brocolli roughly chopped (gives some nice texture)
Big handful of green beans chopped or whatever you have in your crisper tray
1 tin of butter beans (from asda they have loads of tinned beans)
1 tin of mixed mexican beans (also from asda)
A little olive oil or flaxseed oil perhaps 1-2 tablespoons

Heat the pan, add the oil, stir in the onions and garlic for about two mins on a moderate to low heat until translucent. Add the peppers and cook gently for about 4-5 mins. Add the chillies and all the herbs, season with S&P and stir. Add the tins of tomatos and the jar of tomato and herb or passata and bring to the boil. Cover and turn down to simmer for about 30 mins stiring occasionally.

Add the brocolli and green beans and cook still simmering until the brocolli still has a bite texture but not too crunchy because it continues to cook in the sauce. Finally rinse both tins of beans and add the beans to the dish. Stir in for 30 seconds and serve.

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy »

Sounds good Denise, how is it without the beans ? Don't like tinned beans much, well other than Heinz baked beans on toast ;-)
Andy
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

Denise1973

Post by Denise1973 »

Without the beans and even the brocolli and green beans if fine.

Actually im glad you mentioned about the beans. I had this for lunch today gave me gas :roll:

Beans work for some people and not for others. I can eat baked beans but only the cheap ones. Heinz also give me gas lol

If you omit those that I mentioned you will have pretty much a marinara sauce that you can turn into bolognaise if you add some browned off mince meat. Or you can place the sauce in a casserole dish and add chicken breasts and bake for 25 mins. Or just pour over some pasta and add ham sprinkle with palmesan cheese.

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops »

Looks really yummy Denise! Going to make some on the weekend. I am more of a weekend cook beings that I work 10-12 hour days Monday through Friday :(

Thanks for sharing!

Linda
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Beverley
Last Drink Date: 22 Jul 2010

Post by Beverley »

Denise

Cool recipe. I love butter beans! In fact I love any beans!! I don't get gas so I must have a cast iron stomach.
I have in my freezer my special tomato sauce for pasta and pizza etc which I made late last summer when we had a glut of toms. It is to die for! I fish it out and bung in minced beef or lamb and hey presto the world is my oyster! Do love this recipe of yours with the beans. Really convertible into whatever. Fab stuff.

Thanks. Bev x
Every moment is a gift - that's why it's called the present

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga »

Not sure if I'm posting this in exactly the right place. I'm suffering (I've mentioned it in other threads, sorry to waffle on) from severe upper gastric pain every time I try to eat. It's temporary (I hope !), I can manage creamy soups, potatoes... just, I can't eat fish, chicken, meat,fruit, fruit juice.. it's like swallowing a combination of battery acid and broken glass (not that that's a habit of mine !). Any suggestions for what on earth to eat ? for a few days at least. I'm hungry but there's so little I can manage.

I must stress I love cooking and love food, I go for hot curries, chillies no restrictions, but at the moment.... :(
Wondered if anyone had been in the same situation and can advise.

Thanks !
"Drink not the third glasse, which thou canst not tame,
When once it is within thee; but before
Mayst rule it, as thou list; and poure the shame,
Which it would poure on thee, upon the floore...."
George Herbert

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga »

Thanks SB,
Ice cream is working, and I'm going to try some yogurt, I may try some of the Greek type with honey to avoid the fruit. Sadly I'm not keen on banana's as they'd be ideal but I could maybe try zapping some with some milkwith my blender for a smoothie. ;)?
I did notice a slight difference yesterday, it must be healing a little.
Oh and custard is a good idea !
George Herbert

Denise1973

Post by Denise1973 »

Here is another big pot recipe. It tastes nice because I used smoked paprika instead of regular. Good with rice. The recipe uses kidney beans but it tastes great without them if you don't like beans. Next time I make it, I will omit the beans.

Beef and Vegetable Chilli

1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves crushed
3 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbs ground cumin
1 lb lean beef mince
1 can chopped tomatos
1 red pepper diced
1 green pepper diced
2 carrots diced
4 celery stalks chopped
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes (or you can get chilli in the can of tomatos in some shops)
Salt and Pepper
1 can kidney beans
corriander to garnish

1. Place onion, garlic paprika, cinnamon, cumin and beef in a pan and cook for 5-6 mins. No need for oil, just keep stiring and the meat will release moisture.

2. Add tomato, peppers, celery, carrots, chilli and seasoning. Cook for 20 mins or so until veg is tender.

3. Wash kidney beans, drain and add to the pan, stir through.

4. Plate up and garnish with corriander if you wish (is also nice without)

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga »

Sounds lovely Denise. Thanks. I make chillies at least once a week (not at the moment with my dodgy tum).

I love coriander it is my favourite herb. Smoked paprika will give an extra dimension. ;)?

I use fresh chillies, most of the supermarkets have them in the fresh fruit and veg dept, I just pop the whole bag in the freezer in a plastic container and take one or two out as I need them, you can chop them straight into the pan frozen.
George Herbert

Denise1973

Post by Denise1973 »

Thats a good tip, thanks ;)?

Denise1973

Post by Denise1973 »

I love corriander and also chillies. If you ever make a curry or buy one, my friend from Pakistan showed me a recipe for a chuckney to accompany the curry. Nice thing is,is that it is low calorie but packed with flavour. You can freeze this chuckney and defrost it at room temperature if you decide that you are going to be having curry. All you do is put the chuckney in ice cube trays. Freeze then pop into a freezer bag.

3 green chillies, deseeded or seeded depends on how hot you want the chuckney to be.
1 onion
3 tomatos
1 bunch corriander leaves washed (decent size, not the supermarket size but the greengrocer or wholesaler size)
1 bunch mint leaves washed (same, decent size)

Use a processor or blender and blend till smooth. I usually include the mint to the blender in parts because if you add too much mint it can throw the balance off and taste a little bitter.

This chuckney is amazing with lamb curry and pillau rice.

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga »

That sounds just my sort of thing, I've copied that for future reference. Lovely ! Thankyou ! ;)?
George Herbert

Beverley
Last Drink Date: 22 Jul 2010

Post by Beverley »

Hi Denise

Keep the recipes coming! Love them. I'm not keen on mint so would the above recipe work without or could I just add a litle?

Tks Bev
Every moment is a gift - that's why it's called the present