Cooking: good food tips, links & ingredients

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
macchiatto

Re: Cooking: good food tips, links & ingredients

Post by macchiatto »

Oh, Bramley apples are divine - I cooked some last year when we were in Scotland - don't get them here in Oz. Lucky you TC! I did cook some lovely rhubarb yesterday. It was really nice. Been quite a cold winter here, colder than past years, but the winter vegetables have been really good and that rhubarb was lovely, had some cold on my hot porridge this morning. Very nice! I like a nice salad too, Hedgehog - slathered with olive oil and balsamic - very good for the old digestion.
Your pastas sounds lovely Hedgehog and Finley, but I have to say I am partial to Patatas Bravas, Slingy specially at that price! Delish! Don't know about the fag ends and kippers, yummmmmm kippers!!!!!!!

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Finley - Your recipe sounds delicious - and simple too. It's going in my book! Thanks. ;)?
Breaking on through to the other side. \:)/

Finley

Post by Finley »

The weather's turned a bit chilly (at least when the sun's not out :roll: ) so I thought it was time for some real comfort food. Beef stew on the menu tonight - with lots of veg in it (carrots, swede, peas, celery, onions etc) - and then custard slices for pud (didn't make the slices). Will have some crusty bread with the stew to mop up the gravy - just wondering whether I can manage a couple of dumplings as well :D
I want to be the best me I can be ...

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Dumplings! Oh wow, I haven't had them for years. Stew and dumps - another one to add to the cookery book! ;)?

MissCheese
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2011

Post by MissCheese »

Any ideas for cooking rabbit? My Sister and her OH, who shot the rabbits, are ringing some with them this weekend. I've only ever stewed them before.
MissCheese

Finley

Post by Finley »

Didn't get round to making the dumplings last night - I was famished by the time the stew was cooked - so just ate it with loads of crusty bread. Never mind - there was plenty of stew so there are portions in the freezer and I'll make the dumplings next time...

Miss Cheese, I have only ever stewed rabbit too - but I once had a delicious rabbit dish in a restaurant where it was served in a mustard and cream sauce. I've no idea of the recipe, but I bet you'd find one online. I often search on the BBC Good Food website, and have never been thwarted in my search for recipes there yet. Let us know if you find one - it's the kind of weather now for cooking good hearty dishes and I like most game :D

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Arrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh no no no to rabbit!

(We have a pet rabbit!) :shock:

Finley

Post by Finley »

Sorry Hedgehog <:)> I can't wait for game to start featuring more on menus again. Am going away walking with my daughter for a couple of night mid-September - I'm not an expert on game etc but the place we're staying do a fantastic venison dish when it's in season (I ought to be more careful and note down the time of year it starts becoming available - does anybody know?). Oops - sorry to any sensitive souls who were scarred for life by watching Bambi as a child.......

I suppose I tend to be a bit 'hard' about such things as (although I love animals and adore my dog - and if I had a pet rabbit would probably feel different about eating rabbit meat) - my uncle had a butcher's shop from when I was little and I spent a lot of time there, and at the abbatoir.....

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

No worries Finley <:)> - I guess I'm just a bit sensitive when it comes to rabbits! ;)

I stopped eating meat a few months ago (I will still eat fish, so am not a vegetarian strictly speaking). At first it was purely for convenience sake, but now I'm not sure I'd go back to it. I haven't missed it. I thought I'd really miss bacon especially, but that's covered by eating Frazzles (which are vegetarian, would you believe?). The one thing I missed was fish (which I hardly ever used to eat), so will occasionally indulge.

When I was a meat-eater, I always thought the one thing that would stop me was a visit to an abbatoir. I can't imagine what that would be like - and don't want to. You must be a tough cookie! :lol:

Finley

Post by Finley »

:lol: I'm not really, Hedgehog - I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to.....

I'm making (sort of) peri peri chicken tonight, with spuds, peas and sweetcorn. I thought I had a peri peri marinade, but discovered it's out of date (and I mean, WELL out of date) - so read the ingredients on the bottle and have made up a marinade of my own. Not sure how it'll turn out - but we shall see :)

Finley

Post by Finley »

Slingy - I'm very envious of you for the bargains you're picking up. Haven't made it to my local Waitrose yet, but your most recent post here reminded me that I ought to. I never thought of it as somewhere to look for bargains...but will give it a try when I get the chance. For me, I've been sticking to Lidls and the fruit and veg market mostly (although I did have a splurge in M & S) the other day - on custard slices :D

Finley

Post by Finley »

:lol: Slingy :lol:

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

Waitrose?Hippy dippy organic biodegradable yoghurt?Careful Slingy, next you'll be wearing sandals and taking up knitting.Mind you, I hear sandals can be very attractive on a man and they're good for allowing the air to circulate :D

I made the most fantastic loaf last night, using the no-knead method for the first time.It basically involves throwing the ingredients in a bowl, leaving the mixture for 12-18 hours, then baking it in a pot with a lid.I was really sceptical something so easy could actually work, but it did - the finished loaf looked like one of those artisan loaves you see at trendy farmers markets, or in posh supermarkets like Waitrose 8-)

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

slingy4 wrote:.this young bird behind the till yesterday said to me brightly"i see you are getting some bargains",i meekly smiled and said "yeah" whilst feeling like saying"why do'nt you announce to the shop i have the shittiest car on the forecourt as well"haha
laughing_smiley.gif
laughing_smiley.gif (49.48 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
That reminds me of the many times I used to go back to my local offie for a second bottle of wine of an evening just before closing time and the wee woman behind the counter would bellow 'Back again then?" loud enough to be heard from outer space :oops:

Finley

Post by Finley »

:lol: Slingy and Caroline :lol: The bread sounds great too ;)?

macchiatto

Post by macchiatto »

Oh my goodness - if you could only see me laughing on the other side of the world Slingy and Caroline. The fortunate /unfortunate thing about us was that I would bring the first one home and then he would trot down and get another so we never got sprung, however the red wine lips was usually a dead give away ...... and then we just got it by the case from the wine club, oh dear! and what's this about knitting Caroline? Macramé please, in his sandals and his new dressing gown which he bought as a reward for doing just so fabulous. Slingy, I don't know what counter creeping is - but sounds like a reasonable hobby to me. Keep getting those bargains!! (::)

caroline95

Post by caroline95 »

macchiatto wrote: I don't know what counter creeping is
Best to keep it that way Macchiatto, trust me, you really don't want to know.

I bought a pizza mesh to-day, as part of my seemingly endless quest to avoid the crushing disappointment of taking a lovingly made pizza out of the oven, only to find it has a soggy bottom :shock:

Finley

Post by Finley »

Hi all

Slingy - you're welcome to dinner any time (just bring a couple of your bargain buys with you for me to sample). You're more than welcome to bring your own plate too - as long as you take it back with you and wash it up yourself :lol:

Finley

Post by Finley »

Pickles - chicken and brocolli pie sounds fab ;)? I love pies :D

We had our chicken/rice stir fry last night (since we'd had roast chicken on Tuesday - a great way to use up what was left) but haven't got a clue what to do for dinner tonight. Not sure if daughter will be in as she's meeting friends and they sometimes eat out - so might do a brocolli and cauli cheese (daughter hates it - I love it) or something like that.

Any other ideas for something quick, tasty and filling would be gratefully accepted....xxx

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Hi Finley
My go to quick dinner for a long time was always a salmon fillet cooked in a foil parcel, I would either put coarse ground black pepper and slices of lemon on it or Cajun seasoning prior to wrapping in parcel. Then while it's cooking in the oven for 20 mins boil new potatoes and steam veg (broccoli and green beans for me) or make a quick salad. But I expect you do this type of thing already? It always felt healthy but satisfying.

Another one that I have not made in an age was a large field mushroom, brushed with a little butter, spread with pesto on the underneath, cover with cream cheese or Stilton and bake for 20 mins, serve with a huge salad. Not much carbs with that one though? I guess one could do it with garlic bread? It always seemed enough for me.

I discovered yesterday that Lidl do jars of artichokes in sunflower for a quid! They are more than twice the price anywhere else! Nice on pizzas, can really beef up a salad, not sure what else to use them for though, does anyone else like them?

Swordgirl.x