Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Cooking: good food tips, links & ingredients

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Re: Cooking: good food tips, links & ingredients

Post by Newt » 13 Nov 2018 16:22

I keep them for months in a cardboard box in the shed, when out detecting after cropping there are always loads of potatoes left in the fields along with red onions and I can't help helping myself, they are only going to be ploughed back in anyway so in the box at home they go!

I like to do my jackets and then half them in the length, scoop out the potato into a bowl, add grated cheese and onion and a knob (calm down Kim) of butter, mix it all up and pop it back into the potato skins and rake them over with the back of a fork, back in the oven until.

Sweetcorn works in them too :D
Social distancing since 1966

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 13 Nov 2018 18:42

Yeah love em that way too although I haven’t done them for a while (::)

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 13 Nov 2018 19:02

You're making me hungry, newt!
Rachel

Action

Post by Action » 13 Nov 2018 19:17

Great song Newt.
I’ve gone all vegetarian this week.
Being especially lazy tonight and I’m eating mushroom, rice and mozzarella balls (although they have a ‘posher’ name than that. :shock: with peas and broccoli. Followed by a chunk or two of Lindt salted caramel chocolate! ;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 13 Nov 2018 19:39

Rachel wrote:
13 Nov 2018 19:02
You're making me hungry, newt!

Sorry about that ;)
Social distancing since 1966

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 14 Nov 2018 07:42

That's ok. I actually went and cooked some food as a resuly. A using up kind of meal. Mushroom omelette with garlic and Swedish cheese (not from Ikea, but it could have been. They do a nice one.) sage, smoked paprika, lots of black pepper, and using a smoked butter/smoked oil combo to cook the mushrooms in before the egg went in.
Rachel

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 14 Nov 2018 17:57

Did a chicken cacciatore in slow cooker yesterday but missed out the wine (::) Tastes Just as good except I put in too much oregano (w) So had to adjust it with other herbs. 6 servings ;)? Now having to cook whole chicken cos cat thinks it was for him :lol2:

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 06 Dec 2018 19:20

I've started adding cabbage to my stirfries (I live on these and stews in the winter) and it's delicious, don't know why I never thought pf it before.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 16 Dec 2018 14:35

This year I can't seem to feel any enthusiasm about the turkey dinner I usually go for at Xmas, so I thought I'd try something different for a change.It took a while browsing recipes, but I finally decided on Chicken Francese - never tried it before but it looks straightforward enough.The recipe is here if anyone's interested - https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... n-francese

Chocolate mousse for dessert, cheese and crackers for supper if I can fit them in.I think I'll probably manage somehow :D

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 16 Dec 2018 18:09

I am not really bothering with Christmas dinner :o
Rachel

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC » 16 Dec 2018 19:05

We're just having Chicken thighs, pots, mxd veg, cranberry sauce.
We have this dinner at times all throughout the year, I can't get excited about turkey, I think it's overrated, give me Chicken any day.

I'm going to gave a look at your suggestion caroline.
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 17 Dec 2018 16:08

That looks great, Caroline! :D

I'm with John, as regards turkey. We had goose last year and it was fabulous but there wasn't really enough of it. I was disappointed about this. My dad kept geese when I was a kid. Mum used the eggs for cakes which I think were great - rich and a lovely shade of yellow, so I have a nostalgic fondness for these birds. (I've got a feeling she also tried omelettes with them. I don't really remember how they turned out other than that they were gargantuan.) I don't dislike turkey (it's what we've gone for, this year) but I certainly wouldn't want to eat it too often. Whereas I could possibly/probably eat chicken every day of the year and never get bored of it. My grandfather farmed chickens, so perhaps it's in my genes...

About twenty or so years ago, I (genuinely) worked for a turkey farm during the Christmas rush. I gave it up in January because (slightly less genuinely) the conditions were fowl and the wages were poultry...

Apologies :oops:
Rachel wrote:
16 Dec 2018 18:09
I am not really bothering with Christmas dinner :o
I don't blame you for that, Rachel. I do like a "special" meal now and again, especially at seasonal times such as Christmas. But sometimes a full-on "Christmas dinner" can feel a bit forced if it's not what you actually want or need to dine on. There's no point forcing it if there's something else you would prefer to eat.
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 18 Dec 2018 11:45

The thing is, it takes hours to cook then it's all over in 15 minutes. (Sometimes.)

I am at my mother's, so cooking is very difficult (would have to take all the equipment and would be sure to forget something. My mother doesn't even have a sharp knife let alone things to cook things in.) Mother is not really interested in food and eats less than a newly weened baby. Husband doesn't like eating there as he thinks it will give him a stomach upset (! Probably something to do with the constant 'eau de commode' scent.) I find it hard to eat there too.
I think, though, really, I am just so tired. The last few months have been so stressful. My husband has vetoed hope in all things future related (which I suppose is what hope is all about?) too, so it's hard to summon up any enthusiasm for anything, but especially when no one else can be arsed...

Was wondering whether to go for a Christmas dinner 'out'. Suggested it to husband, and he said why don't we just go out for a nice dinner. (w) really...

It goes almost without saying that without me there is no home cooked Christmas dinner. My mother has requested roast potatoes and parsnips (I probably won't get them right) and I will do another veg and some gravy, but it's bought sliced ready cooked meat for her (she's already got it.) and a ready meal (I hate ready meals) for husband and I :evil:
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 18 Dec 2018 12:17

Rachel wrote:
18 Dec 2018 11:45
by Rachel » 18 Dec 2018 11:45

The thing is, it takes hours to cook then it's all over in 15 minutes. (Sometimes.)
That happened to us a few years ago. I don't know it happened. All that preparation and then a mountain of washing-up - all for a meal that lasted less than a normal Sunday lunch :?

A meal out does sound like a better idea, Rachel. I hope Christmas isn't too arduous for you all <:)>

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 18 Dec 2018 15:22

I might try goose next year now you've recommended it Jjj (would you believe it, my auto-correct just changed the word goose to booze :shock: )

I hope you get to go out for a nice meal Rachel and that you manage to find a ready meal that's not too bad.I quite like M&S vegetarian curry and their chapatis are good - curry might also to some way to offset the whiff of 'eau de commode'.I do think it's really lovely of you to make so much effort to make sure your Mum isn't on her own at Xmas despite everything that's going on in your own life at the moment.

I'm making sausage rolls today 8-)

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 18 Dec 2018 16:24

A bit depressing having a ready meal on Christmas day...

I have bought a lot of cheese which I intend to encourage OH to eat as soon as he gets home as I am not sure how long he will be in the UK for. OH is not keen on nut roast am d they can be disastrously dry, but Sainsbury's has one that looks nice - i would rather us have something that will go with the veg I do for my mother so we can have some too. Waitrose has some nice nut and mushroom Wellingtons, but frozen. Whatever we have has to survive an up to 7 hour car trip in a cool bag.
I have bought a Betty's Christmas cake (daren't make one. Mother is highly critical, but we had one of these last year and it was very good. She'd be horrified if she knew how much it cost, though!)
I need to organize a dessert or two.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 18 Dec 2018 23:13

I heartily reccommend goose, Caroline! And aside from the taste, which I love, there's something appropriately Dickensian about it ;)? Try their eggs for cake-baking too, if you fancy it.

I'm glad you spotted the auto-correct or my reputation on BE would be in tatters ;) :lol:

Rachel, like Caroline, I think it's really good that you're making certain sacrifices to be with your mother. My dad was aghast to discover a couple of years ago that his cousin and wife had called in to Dad's ninety-year-old aunt on Christmas Day with supermarket sandwiches, which they ate before vamoosing off for a proper meal with her family. Had Dad known that was their plan, he'd have invited aunty over and collected her for the day. Cousin and wife are actually lovely people, but oddly (and unwittingly) insensitive at times.

Anyway, I do hope it goes as well as possible <:)>

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 05 Jan 2019 18:39

I have had a splurge in the sales, and bought a new food processor (old one had burnt out and was shite anyway). My new Sage kitchen wizz arrived today, is unpacked - with difficulty, it weighs a ton - and I've tested it with some potatoes. Seems good, I'm looking forwrad to doing more inventive cookery with its help - my arthritic hands are a problem these days. I've also succumbed to a stand mixer, which is my first. I love making bread, and hope having one will expand my repertoire. Just a shame I can't afford any ingredients now!

Caroline how was the chicken francese?
Last edited by SoberBoots on 05 Jan 2019 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 05 Jan 2019 19:02

How exciting!
Rachel