Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Cravings

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
Mark

Cravings

Post by Mark » 06 Mar 2008 11:24

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for a while but I regularly dip in to see how you are all doing.

Can anyone give me any advice - it is eight weeks now since I last had a drink but the cravings seem to be getting worse as time goes by, not easier. Is this normal? I have substituted alcohol for Coca Cola but I never used to touch the stuff prior to stopping drinking - all the caffeine and sugar cant be doing me any good. Anyone else had these experiences?

All the best

Mark

Mark

Re: Cravings

Post by Mark » 06 Mar 2008 11:49

Hi Jaycee,

Very many thanks - will have a look at the board you mentioned.

Take Care

MarkXXX

ika

Post by ika » 06 Mar 2008 11:58

Hi Mark

That is fantastic 8 weeks for me is now 2 weeks and I am eating seet things like mad.. that worries me too as I have put quite a few pounds on .. anyway keep going

Ika
Gliding is an impression ...under the water the little legs have to work very hard

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 06 Mar 2008 12:08

Hi Mark,
I am also just past the 8 week stage,and yes I still get cravings!
I tend to drink de-caff coffee,it has antioxidants in it (all coffee does),but I also eat lots of chocolate! But that might be because I am a greedy 'cow' and just love it!!!!
Im sure you must find though that they(cravings) soon pass,I dont know how long these feelings last though?!?!

Anna

Post by Anna » 06 Mar 2008 18:28

I am so pi..ed off..just wrote a really long and maybe even helpful post and the bl'@@dy things gone!
Will try later,

Anna.x

Anna

Post by Anna » 06 Mar 2008 20:09

Right....I'm back...teeth gritted in case the whole thing goes Pete Tong again..

I'm just into week4 ( Feels strange to be counting in weeks!) so not the veteran that you are Mark but I think that the physical cravings weren't too bad because I went on a low carbohyrate diet to keep one of my sons ( who is overweight) company.

One of the problems with alcohol is that it floods the system with instantly available sugars. Insulin is released to deal with these. The effect is a sugar 'rush' followed by an insulin overload. The body gets used to getting an instant 'fix' like this and it supresses the apetite. ( I didn't eat once I had started drinking...like many of us!)

So, by restricting carbs, the sugar 'rush' and withdrawal plus insulin overload doesn't happen...therefore, you don't get the physical reminder of what alcohol was doing before you cut it out and the whole thing calms down.

Sugary drinks, chocolate, cakes, buscuits etc all raise the blood sugar level and coke is probably the very worst thing you could drink.

Maybe, try restrcting carbs to the morning when you have a chance of burning them up and then eat some 'proper food' earlier in the evening than you might be used to.

I am no expert at all on this and am no longer on the diet but I have noticed that if i do go and stuff myself full of scones etc when I suddenly feel hungry, I begin to feel pretty dissatisfied fairly soon after.

Same with caffeine...anything that gives a quick fix seems to reawaken the body to an old 'solution.'...ie favourite tipple=instant satisfaction.

Let me know if this helps..

Anna.x

Mark

Post by Mark » 11 Mar 2008 11:09

Hi Anna,
My apolgies for not responding sooner but I haven't been on for a few days and have only just seen your kind response.

I appreciate very much your helpful words. The problem I am facing at the moment is not just the physical cravings for a drink, but I am experiencing those tell tale signs of regret and sadness that other people can have a few drinks and a good time, so why not me. To be honest, the biggest battle at the moment is trying not to be tempted to start again, on the pretext that I will be sensible this time, not drink just to get drunk but enjoy it as being a social pleasure. I went to see my Son play in his rock band on Friday and, even though there was a bar, spent the whole night without a drink - I just cannot stomach drinking soft drinks when I am out. I bought a bottle of Kaliber, took one sip and left the rest - it was disgusting!!!

There is a big part of me that wants to start again,on a sensible basis, despite the trauma that it has brought to my Family's life - I started drinking because my Wife suffers with a serious back condition, is in constant pain, and it was my way of a release from seeing the one you love in constant pain but helpless to do much about it.

Any thoughts either yourself or the other wonderful people on this forum may wish to contibute would be most welcome - at the moment that little bas......ard is sitting on my shoulder egging me on!!

All the best

Mark

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 11 Mar 2008 13:14

Mark,
DONT DO IT!!!!
As an experienced alcoholic,now in recovery,thats all I can say...the urge to drink 'socially' is still quiet strong for me too,but after many attempts at trying it...it dont work!
So if you want to end up at square one, then give it a go....Sorry to be so blunt,and Im really trying to help here...It just is not worth the risk...
Things will get easier,you have done all the hard work to get this far,there is still a way to go for us all,so carry on being strong,you will reap the rewards,just be a little more patient....And all will turn out fine....
Bash that Eaf,she will go away if you ignore her....

Lesley
Last Drink Date: 21 Apr 2008

Post by Lesley » 24 Jun 2008 14:11

Hello everyone - this is my first visit here and I am happy to say I am 64 days sober. I was a bottle and a half red wine drinker for 30 years (and more one weekends . I have had a few temptations during this sobriety - a full day tour & tasting at 5 wineries in the famous Barossa Valley of South Australia (think Jacobs Creek). I couldn't get out of going but I did not drink and got a standing ovation from all the other people on the bus at the end of the day. :) Talk about feel good!!

While I am feeling positive about my progress I have suddenly become a sweet tooth...I can grab a bag of jelly babies and demolish them in no time at all - never craved sweets before. I couldn't understand this but have done a fair bit of research and most alcoholics are hypoglycaemic so when the sugar from the wines stop then the body is yelling for some from somewhere else...anywhere...get me some..NOW!! type of thing.

I have tried at book shops to find literature that can help me deal with this - I am a logical person and just knowing there is a logical explanation is a big step to overcoming it and dealing with it but I do like to know the ins and outs of a dogs dinner...so to speak....and would like to read more on the subject. I would welcome any suggested reading matter from you guys if you are aware of any. Good luck to you all... I will be following your progress and hope we can all overcome this crap called alcoholism.

regards

Lesley
"Life is a journey - not a guided tour"

byron
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2010

Post by byron » 24 Jun 2008 16:56

Hello Lesley

A big welcome to you. You went to a winery and did not drink - none :o :D - You rock :D Im a very logical minded person also (bit pedantic really which isnt always a good thing) only and tend to believe what I have researched and read and analysed myself. That was my approach to tackling the not drinking by reading as much as I could get my hands on - boy does it sink in. I researched both alcohol problems and effective recovery from alcohol. - Im no expert believe me but I did learn a lot.

the Allen Carr books are motivational but for good juicy facts and motivation I recomend Beat The Booze by Edmund Tirbutt and Helen Tirbutt. If you look at the 'good reads ' thread you will also see another recomendation from another member - Muriel - that was only posted yesterday and there is a good description of what its about and it does look good. I also used medical papers and phsycology papers by searching for them on the internet. i also looked at the cognitive therapy used to help peeps stop and did use that myself by accessing reading from this site - diary etc. There is some excellent information on this site and others.

Happy reading - and fantastic on 64 days :D <:)>

Julie
x
Action is the antidote to despair.

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 28 Jun 2008 13:08

WOW!! Thank you guys for the warm welcome and the good wishes. <:)> My plan is to be alcohol free for the rest of my life and I feel confident I can do that. My only "thirst" is for more information and I thank you for your recommendations - I will certainly follow them up. The people who know me still can't beleive I survived the winery trip unscathed :o .. My husband still drinks (too much) and I am finding that actually helps me rather than hinders me. The smell of the red wine and ( especially on the week ends) his gradual decline in his speech and attitude give me a visual of what I was like and it feels good not to be in that place.

I google a lot of medical sites and if i feel even a twinge of wanting a drink what I read scares the bejesus out of me and it is very easy to say no!! I had no idea of the many ways alcohol affects different parts of your body - one just thinks of your liver but there aint much of you it doesnt screw up :x Anyway - good luck to us all and lets just confound the experts and live forever :D

Lesley XX

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 30 Jun 2008 13:48

Day 70! :lol: who'd a thunk it lol

byron

Post by byron » 30 Jun 2008 17:28

Hello Lesley :D

Well done on 70 days Lesley (inclusive of the trip around the winery - still think you rock for that 8-) ).

I would also be interested to know what you did to stop. Did you do AA or just do this yourself etc etc - and how are you feeling?

Julie
x

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 01 Jul 2008 13:17

Hello all and thanks again for your good wishes - Julie I bought Beat the Booze today and like what I see so far - thank you for that - couldn't believe it when I found it in the bookshop - all the shops I've been to had nothing <:)>

Actually it was 5 wineries and it was a long day but I got stronger as the day wore on.

As I said before I am a very logical person and a visual one so I need to see things in black and white. I haven't done AA or anything and my previous efforts were short lived. What I did this time was get a small note book (pink cos i want my liver to be pink :D ) and I take it with me EVERYWHERE - the plan was to write all the things in it that are reasons for not drinking or things that I've noticed are changed in me - I googled lots of medical reasons why I shouldn't drink and put in things that were good like sleeping better - hair stopped falling out so much - skin better etc etc. So far i have a 122 reasons not to drink in my book. In the back I was to put reasons TO drink - I got nothing there!! I even put comments from the news like Amy winehouse getting wasted or if there is a tragic accident cos someone is drunk driving - just anything that will reinforce what I'm doing. At first I kept referring to it all the time but now as long as I can see that pink cover i know I'm doing the right thing. The things I put in there are better than buying a book cos they are personal and relate directly to me. I hope to fill the book completely. I have things in there like these :-
- I am tired of being out of control - I have a fatty liver - i dont want a fatty liver - Alcohol lowers your immune system - i have a low white blood cell count (Immune system) - I want white teeth - I want to get old - I feel "cleaner" - Alcohol is a drug - alcohol gives you alcoholic cardiomyopathy - alcohol causes breast cancer (i've already had that :( ) - hangovers are crap - i dont have night sweats any more

And so forth - just facts and reinforcements - the book doesnt have to be grammatically correct or in order - just your own observances - I recommend it - may not work for everyone but it is certainly doing it for me.

if anyone else tries this and they find it helps please let me know - I'd like to add your name to my book lol - you can be 123!!!

Good wishes and strength to you all (ps - are any of you in Australia?)

Lesley XXX

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 01 Jul 2008 13:27

HH - im taking Glutamine & Chromium & Magnesium for the sugar cravings - hypoglycemic after the booze so a diabetic site said it should help

XX Lesley

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 01 Jul 2008 13:54

how long have you been sober HH?

byron

Post by byron » 01 Jul 2008 19:47

Lesley wrote:Hello all and thanks again for your good wishes - Julie I bought Beat the Booze today and like what I see so far - thank you for that - couldn't believe it when I found it in the bookshop - all the shops I've been to had nothing <:)>

Actually it was 5 wineries and it was a long day but I got stronger as the day wore on.

As I said before I am a very logical person and a visual one so I need to see things in black and white. I haven't done AA or anything and my previous efforts were short lived. What I did this time was get a small note book (pink cos i want my liver to be pink :D ) and I take it with me EVERYWHERE - the plan was to write all the things in it that are reasons for not drinking or things that I've noticed are changed in me - I googled lots of medical reasons why I shouldn't drink and put in things that were good like sleeping better - hair stopped falling out so much - skin better etc etc. So far i have a 122 reasons not to drink in my book. In the back I was to put reasons TO drink - I got nothing there!! I even put comments from the news like Amy winehouse getting wasted or if there is a tragic accident cos someone is drunk driving - just anything that will reinforce what I'm doing. At first I kept referring to it all the time but now as long as I can see that pink cover i know I'm doing the right thing. The things I put in there are better than buying a book cos they are personal and relate directly to me. I hope to fill the book completely. I have things in there like these :-
- I am tired of being out of control - I have a fatty liver - i dont want a fatty liver - Alcohol lowers your immune system - i have a low white blood cell count (Immune system) - I want white teeth - I want to get old - I feel "cleaner" - Alcohol is a drug - alcohol gives you alcoholic cardiomyopathy - alcohol causes breast cancer (i've already had that :( ) - hangovers are crap - i dont have night sweats any more

And so forth - just facts and reinforcements - the book doesnt have to be grammatically correct or in order - just your own observances - I recommend it - may not work for everyone but it is certainly doing it for me.

if anyone else tries this and they find it helps please let me know - I'd like to add your name to my book lol - you can be 123!!!

Good wishes and strength to you all (ps - are any of you in Australia?)

Lesley XXX
Hi Lesley

5 wineries you say :o you are a goddess 8-) :lol: wow - that pink book is sure worth its weight in gold.
I did exactly what you did with the reading and research. Didnt keep a book though but was having counselling and would write an awful lot through diaries about why I drank - how to avoid etc . I think its a brill idea and a great way to reinforce things learned.

We do have a couple of you upside down people here and I was once upside down myself - Lived near Hobart in Tasmania (we went over on the old assited passages in the 60's). Lived near Sidney for a while but I only have shady memories of that time ( I was very small and cute then). i remember Tasmania best - went to school there. Still hanker after living there but time and comitments have taken over. Did go backpacking around New Zealand some years ago (as close as Ive ever got from getting back there) - There was a very dishy guy involved so thats why I chose Newzealand - had to be.

Julie
x

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 02 Jul 2008 07:08

thats great jos - treasure that book when you get it - in"real life" we (very conveniently sometimes) forget the reasons why we can't drink or smoke or stab old ladies :evil: but that book wont let you forget....it will be your consience (mmmm didnt spell that right but doesnt matter hehehe)

good luck - hey the whole world might sell out of pink notebooks!! I want to see if you can get more than 122 reasons...ok?

Lesley XX

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 02 Jul 2008 07:16

good on you HH - we are all around the same mark time wise so we are probably going through similar things. of course, being women we have the added advantage of being totally superb at everything we do so thats gotta help...what do you think lol (gosh - you are a woman aren't you? if not it doesn't matter - you can be on our team anyway <:)>

Julie - you need to give Aussie another try - it has some spectacular countryside and wonderful people ;)

Breast cancer has the pink ribbon as a symbol - us non drinking"girls" can have the pink notebook as a symbol of sobriety :D

Happy days

Lesley

XX

Lesley

Post by Lesley » 02 Jul 2008 07:18

hey Jos - if you know about those police books you better make that your first entry :D - and I want the details lol