Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Cravings

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.
martha

Re: Cravings

Post by martha » 21 Apr 2018 11:28

Rose13 wrote:Hi everyone,
just looking for a bit of advice on managing cravings! Does anyone know of anything natural i can take that has helped them with cravings. i tried kudzo but it didnt work for me.
Hi Rose,
I tried Kudzu a few years ago and found it did nothing, but some people seem to get on with it. I'm not really sure what an alcohol craving is for me, though? I've tried to explain on here before that for me it's a thing in my head (a desire to stop a particular thought or emotion by getting blotto) rather than a desire for a taste - a chocolate craving, for example, I know is a physical thing. I can only deal with the alcohol 'craving' by first dealing with what's going through my mind. I know that doesn't make sense for most people though.
Some people talk about confusing thirst (though I guess alcohol craving isn't thirst) and hunger, so keeping hydrated (with water!) is important, and not getting too hungry (eating a decent amount of protein and good fats combined with slow release carbs).
Hope someone else has some better suggestions that me, Rose 8-) :roll:
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 21 Apr 2018 11:41

Hello Rose,

I'm afraid i don't know of any natural aid that can help with cravings. Of course medical intervention can assist physical cravings, but these are temporary and we then have to manage the psychological cravings. Tbh, the best way i found to manage cravings in early sobriety was to accept them as part of the recovery process, even though i despised them ! The common way is to 'surf the waves' but we all know this is easier said than done. Evenings was my hardest time and what helped was to eat sugary treats, drink fizzy soft drinks, or water, and distract with colouring adult colouring books and doing puzzles in the evenings. Distraction activities that are individual to you are a big help. Most of our cravings are in the mind, so it makes sense to kick them out and focus on something else. Also holding on to the fact that this temporary discomfort will get less and less over time. Its certainly worth holding the fort, distracting and bearing the temporary waves, because soon enough, it becomes so much easier.

Best wishes to you Rose, try not to worry to much, just take it an hour at a time, or in smaller chunks if need be. <:)>

Love nicky xx

Hi Martha <:)>
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 21 Apr 2018 11:43

If none of the above works and you really don't want to drink but are struggling then jump into bed early. I did this a lot in the early days, my saving grace ;)?

Dennis P. Kimbro

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 21 Apr 2018 11:46

Rose13 wrote:Hi everyone,
just looking for a bit of advice on managing cravings! Does anyone know of anything natural i can take that has helped them with cravings. i tried kudzo but it didnt work for me.
People speak well of L glutamine (which didn't work for me, but kudzu does, so maybe you and I are the opposite way round!)
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 21 Apr 2018 11:52

martha wrote:I'm not really sure what an alcohol craving is for me, though? I've tried to explain on here before that for me it's a thing in my head (a desire to stop a particular thought or emotion by getting blotto) rather than a desire for a taste - a chocolate craving, for example, I know is a physical thing. I can only deal with the alcohol 'craving' by first dealing with what's going through my mind. I know that doesn't make sense for most people though.
Yes, I get that Martha. I'd sometimes want the drink (cold cider on a hot day, good quality red or white wine, port in the winter, G&T in the summer) for the initial taste, but 90% of the time I wanted the drink for the purpose of oblivion.
I've had to do a LOT of work on responding differently to my emotions. (Actually I'm quietly proud of myself.bIt's been a huge learning curve, and I feel like a proper grown up!)
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

martha

Post by martha » 21 Apr 2018 12:11

Shadowlad wrote:If none of the above works and you really don't want to drink but are struggling then jump into bed early. I did this a lot in the early days, my saving grace ;)?
I still do this :lol:

(I've woken up this morning with Maltesers and Crème egg wrappers on the duvet so, yeah, it's a step up from empty wine bottles but ... :? :? )

Rose13
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2019

Post by Rose13 » 21 Apr 2018 12:30

Martha, Shadowland,Suffolksally
Thank you for all of your great tips.
Martha i totally get the craving not actually being the taste but the effect i am craving. I do initally have the 'cold white wine on a summers day and red wine in front of the open fire in winter' craving but its not the taste when i get to the 4th glass!!! I like the taste of coca cola and elderflower cordial but i wouldnt drink 4 glasses of that!! if that makes sense.
You have opened my eyes to looking at why i want the wine rather than it being the taste.
I will try the L glutamine too, thanks Suffolksally . I'm determind to get through this!!
Ps
(I've woken up this morning with Maltesers and Crème egg wrappers on the duvet so, yeah, it's a step up from empty wine bottles but ... :? :? )
:lol: ill try that too ;)?

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 21 Apr 2018 20:51

martha wrote:I still do this :lol:

Oooh, i still do that too haha. Woke up this morning with 2 empty monster munch bags and 2 cheesy wotsits bags on the bed. More through 'ladies time' munching, not alcohol cravings thankfully, lol. Was just in the park with the dog and felt a bit envious of a group of young people circled on the bowling green with music and beers. They were just having a chilled Saturday afternoon together, probably students. It struck me that i was thirsty. You are so right Martha about confusing thirst (or hunger) for cravings. It was very mild, and i was contented to be out with the dog on a nice day...but... i thought this was worth a mention here. There may be quite a few members here who take medication for physical or mental health issues. A common side effect is excessive thirst. I usually have a water bottle with me to keep hydrated. I think it is really important for all of us. Keep hydrated this summer. Passing beer gardens can be a bit of a wrench for anyone struggling, and keeping hydrated also helps the rational brain :)

Dennis P. Kimbro

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 21 Apr 2018 20:59

suffolksally wrote:Yes, I get that Martha. I'd sometimes want the drink (cold cider on a hot day, good quality red or white wine, port in the winter, G&T in the summer) for the initial taste, but 90% of the time I wanted the drink for the purpose of oblivion.
Same here :) even after all this time this is the truth. Thank God for this forum and honest people like yourself, it would be so easy to kid ourselves. I sometimes miss the oblivion, but never miss the consequences. xx

Dennis P. Kimbro

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 18 Jan 2020 19:33

This is very hard to admit but after 7 years of sobriety i seriously toyed with the decision to drink today. I nearly had a f**k it moment, a few times today, whilst out alone in a town 40 miles from home. I feel generally overwhelmed with life... with people. All wanting something from me, in one way or another. My mood is dropping too, and i want to withdraw and be alone.

So today i got ready to go out for the day alone. My mother rang 10 mins before my bus was due with some 'guilt tripping' comments that frustrated/angered me and made me feel controlled. I have decided to pull back from her and have some space from phone calls and visits for a while. Perhaps just write to her instead. She really gets in my head and eats away at my confidence at times.

So today i was in another town planning to clothes shop and visit the museum and art gallery. After an hour of walking around the busy shopping arcade i experienced a 'sensory overload' and felt tearful and anxious. Sat on a bench to recover then went into wetherspooons to use the ladies room. The happy atmosphere and smell of alcohol and food flooded through my senses and i thought "why not find a spot in here and f**king join them. A drink will calm my nerves and lift my mood. I don't care about the consequences" :(

After some consideration i was able to fast forward the tape (years of practice) and did not want the inevitable consequences. After all i was not considering trying moderation, i was wanting all out oblivion, to get drunk and numb the way i was feeling. Its almost like i was catapulted back to the early days, yet i knew i had a choice whether to be reckless or not. Thank God i made the right decision. I opted for plan number 2 to fix my feelings with chocolate and snacks and got on the next available bus back home :?

I'm trying not to be hard on myself about this, but am aware that my mood is dropping and i must keep the sober batteries topped up. They must have been getting lower than i thought.

Thanks for listening x

Dennis P. Kimbro

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 18 Jan 2020 19:42

Oh Nicky <:)> Well done on opting for Plan No. 2 but so sorry that you found yourself in the position to need it.

I've been suprised sometimes at the force with which those f..k it moments can still appear, but appear they do and at the very times like you encountered today.

Stay strong my friend and keep safe. Stepping back from your mother sounds like a good idea. Do everything that you need to do to take care of the number one person (you) <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

martha

Post by martha » 18 Jan 2020 19:43

Shadow, I'm sorry today was so difficult. It sounds like a good idea to put some space between you and your mother and it's really good you recognise that. You did so, so, SO well not to drink, honestly. It always just creates another problem, never solves the original one. Take care of yourself xx

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 18 Jan 2020 21:56

Hi Nicky, I can't add anything else to what's already been said, I just wanted to give you a hug <:)> and congratulate you on swerving the WW. ;)?

Funnily enough I was getting some cravings tonight too, took a gentleman with dementia to the theatre and was a bit stressed about it, instead I've had an aromatherapy bath and in my jammies.

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 19 Jan 2020 08:58

Good morning TC, Martha and Ruby, thanks for reading and your kind responses. Martha thank you, you are so right that drinking just creates another problem, it never solves the original problem. I'm thinking this brain rewiring thing really does work with time because i was able to sit through a strong craving and rationalise. The image was so clear in my head what would happen. For one short moment i thought about the short term fix of obliterating my mood and anxiety and cared about nothing else, but in truth i couldn't impose the consequences on my family or the general public that day.

Dennis P. Kimbro

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 19 Jan 2020 09:03

<:)> for you, Nicky . Hope you got some rest and to take it easy step by step today . It sounds a good idea,to take a step back from your mother and not to let her guilt trip you . Some mothers can be good at that ... and it isn’t good for us . As TC says ,you need to look after you .

Maybe those things you planned ,the clothes shopping,museum, art gallery, to stretch them out a bit and not do things in one go ,or you feel even more exhausted. And then there is also the bus ride ,planning the day out . Maybe museum next week, or something like that .

I hope today is better and you can get out for a short walk if you want to .

instead I've had an aromatherapy bath and in my jammies.
\/ Nice one Ruby ;)?
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 19 Jan 2020 09:17

Thanks Pickles <:)>
pickles wrote:
19 Jan 2020 09:03
Maybe those things you planned ,the clothes shopping,museum, art gallery, to stretch them out a bit and not do things in one go ,or you feel even more exhausted. And then there is also the bus ride ,planning the day out . Maybe museum next week, or something like that .
You know me so well pickles, this is such a good point. I was gutted not to get to the museum/art gallery but to do that on a separate day is a good idea. Its a big place and takes a while to look round properly, but it has lots of seating at every level.
pickles wrote:
19 Jan 2020 09:03
. It sounds a good idea,to take a step back from your mother and not to let her guilt trip you . Some mothers can be good at that ... and it isn’t good for us
Yes its unhealthy for sure x
Ruby&Tilly wrote:
18 Jan 2020 21:56
, instead I've had an aromatherapy bath and in my jammies.
Well done Ruby. I ate a box of maltesers, 2 bounty bars and a packet of crisps on journey home. Then wrote on BE when home and went to bed x

Dennis P. Kimbro

martha

Post by martha » 19 Jan 2020 11:05

Shadow <:)> I know it may not feel like it at times, but you really are inspirational - they way you battle through these difficult scenarios and can see the bigger picture than just the here and now and your willingness to share it with us here <:)>

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 21 Jan 2020 12:55

Thanks Martha, for your kind and comforting words. Hope you are ok too lovely lady <:)> <:)>

Not had anymore crazy thoughts since that day thankfully, just taking it easy and have stepped back from demanding people in real life, it seems to be working xx

Dennis P. Kimbro