Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Family Matters

Partners, families, children and friends - they all get affected by your drinking.
SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Re: Family Matters

Post by SoberBoots » 02 Jul 2018 19:36

Nicky <:)> it's great to hear that you're freeing yourself from such negative stuff
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 03 Jul 2018 10:24

Thank you lovely ladies, for reading and for your kind comments. It is another beautiful day and another chance at making it count. Feeling grateful today ;)? <:)>
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

bradjenkins

Post by bradjenkins » 18 Sep 2018 09:34

I second Lush4life's comments
Lush4life wrote:
02 Jul 2018 14:56
Nicky, enlightening, thoughtful and honest post, wishing you the happy, peaceful future you deserve ☺

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 18 Sep 2018 11:19

Thank you xx

Dennis P. Kimbro

chick dip
Last Drink Date: 18 Sep 2012

Post by chick dip » 18 Sep 2018 17:31

Topcat wrote:
02 Jul 2018 14:30
Shadowlad wrote:
02 Jul 2018 14:01
Anyway, that's my reflections for today. It is my understanding that no matter what cards we have been dealt in life, we can learn from it and make our own happiness. We must believe that we are worthy, and believe that we can change for the better, no matter what, because it is true !

This is so true Nicky <:)> <:)>
AF May 2010-Sept 2012...thanks to this site...

Onward and upward again

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 18 Sep 2018 22:03

Chick <:)> <:)>

Dennis P. Kimbro

Les21

Post by Les21 » 14 Apr 2019 20:19

Hi there - I'm new to this site bacause I have to admit how bad my drinking has got again. I did stop for three years but stupidly started again and now it's worse than ever. I really want to sort it out as my mum now has alzheimers and my relationship with my sister is just horrendous. I know my drinking hasn't helped but she's so difficult to deal with and I just keep continuing to handle things badly - unfortunately she knows how to push all my buttons and drive me demented. I'm scared if I don't sort my drinking issues out now I'll completely fall apart when I lose my mum. I'm really scared :-(

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim » 14 Apr 2019 23:57

Hi Les21

You've come to the right place. There are lots of people here who will understand, and try to help if the can, without judging.

Have you looked about the site? A lot of people like to start with the 7 day challenge; but it's not for everyone's see what you think millwork for you.

The good thing is that if you've done it before (for three years! Congratulations :D) then you can do it again. It won't necessarily be easy; but you know that you can do it.

What worked for you last time? There are various approaches to giving up, and some will appeal more than others. Some people like reading about alcoholism - either the 'science' behind it or stories of how others succeeded in kicking it. I am not a fan of that approach, as I think it's harder when you are constantly thinking about what you are giving up :lol:. I liked hypnosis MP3s, but I have no idea whether or not they worked - I suppose you never do know for sure whether the 'method' you choose has worked in itself, or of you would have got to the same point using something else or nothing at all.

None of it will do any harm, though, so see what suits your personality and give it a go? Do you have a partner who can support you? There's not much that other people can actually do - but sometimes it helps to know that someone is rooting for you, and will understand if you are a bit preoccupied for a while.

Good luck. I don't post here much these days; but I do look in, and I hope to see you around.

Les21

Post by Les21 » 15 Apr 2019 08:50

Hi Sue

Thanks so much for your lovely reply. I think the secret to my success last time was definitely this site and being able to express my feelings with being judged - that was a huge help. I don't have a partner and I have no family support at all but I do have great friends. I feel it's a big step to come to BE and I'm hoping it will help just to know I'm not alone with this battle xx

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 17 Apr 2019 20:50

Hello Les21,

Just wanted to wish you well in getting back on track with your sobriety. You are so right this is so much easier with the support, companionship and advice that is offered on here on BE. There is usually someone around with timely and encouraging words to boost you along. Sorry to hear of your mother's illness, and that you have a difficult sister to navigate. This must be both heartbreaking and stressful, and i hope you can talk to your good friends about all this ? Please do write here anytime you need to talk. The best thing is that this forum is 24 hour so you can offload anytime you need to. There is always someone listening and understanding :) <:)>

Take care, nicky xx

Dennis P. Kimbro