is drinking wrecking your relationship with your partner?

Partners, families, children and friends - they all get affected by your drinking.
Dave R

Re: is drinking wrecking your relationship with your partner?

Post by Dave R »

Hi all

I am new on here, I have joined as my drinking on occasions is damaging my marriage, I dont drink everyday and sometimes can go a couple of weeks without a drink, my problem is that when I get started I cant stop, my wife trys to tell me that I need to slow down or stop for the night but I just carry on. I find i am worse when she is away or when I am away for a couple of days which doesn't happen very often. I used to drink far too much when I was younger and I have calmed down a lot over the years but sometimes its like a fog that engulfs me and I have to get completely slaughtered. My dad always drank a lot When I was growing up and I hated it when he came in drunk and I dont want my boys to think of me like that. I am aiming to quit drinking completely and I haven't had a drink for nearly 2 weeks. I don't have any withdrawal symptoms but the thought of not having a night out with my mates in the future is quite depressing

Onwardsupwards

Post by Onwardsupwards »

Hi dave r

I can relate to you on not being able to stop...it sucks! My dad also was a big drinker.. his family are all t total as they would drink to excess too.

I want to stop the drinking for myself but mainly my son...hes a great kid and i owe it to him not to be a drunken mother.

I wish you success in your journey 👍

L
Failing to try is failure already, trying but failing is part of many journeys 🤟

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

I am new on here
Welcome Dave.

It's great that you've reached out for support. Have a look around the site, it's full of information and support. Many people like to start by joining one of the challenges - there are several, usually the 7 day one is busy. It's a good way to get to know people in the same boat.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Avocado
Last Drink Date: 22 Jun 2021

Post by Avocado »

I actually think he preferred me drinking as it made me weak and just put up with the shit he gave me and drank to block it out. Now he sees how strong I am, I've known him over 13 years I can read him like a book and I can tell he hates it! Asshole.
Only god can judge me.