Is drinking wrecking your relationship with your partner?

Partners, families, children and friends - they all get affected by your drinking.
Dave R

Re: is drinking wrecking your relationship with your partner?

Post by Dave R »

Hi all

I am new on here, I have joined as my drinking on occasions is damaging my marriage, I dont drink everyday and sometimes can go a couple of weeks without a drink, my problem is that when I get started I cant stop, my wife trys to tell me that I need to slow down or stop for the night but I just carry on. I find i am worse when she is away or when I am away for a couple of days which doesn't happen very often. I used to drink far too much when I was younger and I have calmed down a lot over the years but sometimes its like a fog that engulfs me and I have to get completely slaughtered. My dad always drank a lot When I was growing up and I hated it when he came in drunk and I dont want my boys to think of me like that. I am aiming to quit drinking completely and I haven't had a drink for nearly 2 weeks. I don't have any withdrawal symptoms but the thought of not having a night out with my mates in the future is quite depressing

Onwardsupwards

Post by Onwardsupwards »

Hi dave r

I can relate to you on not being able to stop...it sucks! My dad also was a big drinker.. his family are all t total as they would drink to excess too.

I want to stop the drinking for myself but mainly my son...hes a great kid and i owe it to him not to be a drunken mother.

I wish you success in your journey 👍

L
Failing to try is failure already, trying but failing is part of many journeys 🤟

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

I am new on here
Welcome Dave.

It's great that you've reached out for support. Have a look around the site, it's full of information and support. Many people like to start by joining one of the challenges - there are several, usually the 7 day one is busy. It's a good way to get to know people in the same boat.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Rose13
First Sober Date: 25 Aug 2020

Post by Rose13 »

I woke up an hour ago. Lying in bed , feeling crap cos I drank too much again to try and block out his shit comments making out I’m thick again! Constantly putting me down! I’ve just read your post Avocado! I remember feeling that way the last time I gave up drinking! He had no hold on me and it felt great! I hope to get there again! Thanks for posting how you feel! It’s help make me realise it’s possible to be strong to choose that option over self harm. Why should I further punish myself! Easier said but I will try!

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Hope it is working out better for you today Rose.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Rose13

Re: Is drinking wrecking your relationship with your partner?

Post by Rose13 »

Thanks Cowboy
I hope you are well. I’m still struggling to manage OH sharp tongue. I don’t know how I managed over 6 months AF ! Wish I could get there again!!!

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Hi Rose. You can get there again. Especially once you have already been there. And we both know it's a far better place to be.

Take care. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

serend
Last Drink Date: 25 Oct 2020

Post by serend »

Hi Rose, sorry to hear you're in this situation again but as Cowboy says you can do it, just try get one day AF in, then another, one day at a time, think of the healthy mornings, seeing things clearly, knowing what you're willing to put up with without the fog of alcohol clouding your thoughts, good luck and sending hugs your way xx
It's not inevitable whether we drink or not...we make the decision

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Thanks Cowboy and Serend
Today is day 1 , hoping I have the strength

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Rose. You do have the strength. And there is strength in numbers when you post in these parts. You will see that there are very many people who are paying attention to your struggles and supporting you. I think you know what you want and it's just a matter of getting those first few days under your belt. I'm hoping to see you back here today and letting us all know how you are doing. Take care of that most very important person in your life - you.

Rose13

Post by Rose13 »

Thanks Cowboy, I really need to do this . I hope you are doing ok

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I'm good Rose. Also not drinking today. And the two are not compatible in my life. Take care. Cowboy.