Anyone Over 50 Here?

Partners, families, children and friends - they all get affected by your drinking.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Re: Anyone Over 50 Here?

Post by DannyD »

Well. I'm old and I drank A LOT. More than in my younger days when I had bigger responsibilities. However, I did stop - for no good reason, a couple of weeks ago.

There appears to be little rhyme or reason to drinking.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

squirrel wrote:
15 Jun 2022 21:34
I've heard that the older you get the less you drink because your body can't cope with it so reduced tolerance leads to less want.
Not in my case squirrel. Like Danny, I drank more as I got older. I finally kicked it in my 60s and, by then, I was seriously in the process of drinking myself to death. My binges had got a lot longer and the gaps between far shorter.
DannyD wrote:
16 Jun 2022 08:21
There appears to be little rhyme or reason to drinking.
True ;)? I thought I drank in order to cope with the stresses of life. I was conning myself. The stresses are still there, but I don't drink. I cope better now than I did when I drank (probably because my brain isn't so sozzled that I can think straight).
#5 on the 2022 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

There have always been plenty of over 50s, 60s and 70s in the many recovery groups/situations I have been in. I can think of a few famous older alcholics. Jeffrey Bernard, for example.

I also remember a friend, many years ago, saying that he used to drink a lot, but when he hit 35 naturally began to drink less...!

Maybe the answer is that if you are a not an alcoholic, you might naturally find yourself drinking less. If you are not an alcoholic, being hung over and other side effects probably puts you off drinking, because that's the rational reaction... But if you are one, then it's almost certainly not going to happen without considerable concerted effort.
Rachel

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Rachel wrote:
16 Jun 2022 19:25
Maybe the answer is that if you are a not an alcoholic, you might naturally find yourself drinking less. If you are not an alcoholic, being hung over and other side effects probably puts you off drinking, because that's the rational reaction... But if you are one, then it's almost certainly not going to happen without considerable concerted effort.
This makes a lot of sense to me, Rachel. It's anecdotal but I have noticed that my parents' intake has dropped off considerably in the last couple of years. I don't get the impression that they've made a conscious effort to cut down. It's more that their interest in drinking has waned to the point where they can hardly be bothered - or perhaps can't bothered with any minor side-effects, such as fuzzy heads in the morning.

They've never been huge tipplers.

However, when living with or visiting them prior to quitting, I always found it deeply frustrating to stop drinking beer in the evening at the same time as Dad (i.e. after three polite pints), and would be in agonies of desire until they went to bed and I could help myself to more.

My folks could always stop at a sensible point because they didn't have a problem. I couldn't, because I did. And, although I'm not yet in the age category of this thread, I cannot imagine this ever changing (if I put it to the test, that is). The rational knowledge that drinking insensibly would make me ill never before led me to stop at a sensible point, and I have a feeling that I would grow no wiser with age.

Interesting conversation, all ;)?
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Mmm, I don’t think my propensity to drink reduced with age, it was getting worse! And then it was a choice of all or nothing. I’m glad I’ve managed to quell my inner EAF (evil alcohol fairy) but if I let her back out again she would wreak havoc.