Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Three Month Challenge.

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Re: The Three Month Challenge.

Post by pickles » 25 Aug 2016 17:41

Hi MH , I guess it's quiet the last few days maybe as people are still away, still school holidays, work , trying to get a barbecue going( me) and trying not to get irate at screaming kids next door who sound like they are being tortured going into the paddling pool , or double irate at the new two houses away whistling neighbour ,hammering whatever he needs to hammer ! We have been out though , part of today:)

I do read your posts , MH and find them very thoughtful, honest and interesting but I don't answer them as I never know quite the right words hoping that someone else will step in .

I hope you have a nice evening . Dont think women are all the same ,re food, I like food ;)?
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

sweethope
Last Drink Date: 14 Aug 2016

Post by sweethope » 26 Aug 2016 08:21

Hello Señor :\:

This is my Saturday, feeling a bit flat myself today only to be expected as I've been non stop working a dealing with new territory etc etc etc. Just taking some needed time out reading around the 'support' forum :? :shock: sorry at the lack of support on the challenge as you write fantastic and honest accounts of the journey but Mr Hare you have two 'sisters' Pickles and I we read your posts with genuine interest and care. <:)>

Brilliant post you know the drill. As always I could have written that post, my anger and change in personality was getting worse in the last 8 months of drinking. I know why because like you MH I have suppressed suppressed and suppressed so much stuff in my life that the lid crimes 'flying' off now when I drink and my anger and verbal abuse is directed at those who love me. It had to stop end of!!!

Okay better try and do something productive myself. Hope you enjoyed your meal out. Getting a 'freebie' tonight government here are paying for an expat welcome meeting for 300 employees and the menu looks fantastic and the good thing alcohol nowhere to be seen (::)

Have a good day Mountainhare

Sweets
'Sobriety offers everything drinking destroys!'

Steve54
Last Drink Date: 03 Mar 2018
First Sober Date: 03 Mar 2018

Post by Steve54 » 27 Aug 2016 16:09

Hello MH

I'm back here after a relapse but this is day 82 dry.

I too have come to realise that the only way is abstinence.

I stopped drinking 254 days ago and went on Antabuse. I tried to come off and asked myself the "can I drink socially and control myself" question.

It took a 15 day and an 8 day bender to answer the question.... No way...

Abstinence is my only way and it feels just fine
I post daily to remind myself of my addiction to alcohol. Each dry day is not to be taken for granted as temptation is merely a sip away

Wylass
Last Drink Date: 21 Oct 2018
First Sober Date: 22 Oct 2018

Post by Wylass » 27 Aug 2016 17:05

Hi MH just for the record I too love reading your posts - you say a lot of things that I can identify with and I know that I too must permanently abstain. I have tried to control my drinking in the past but it just doesn't work. I find it v helpful to read posts like yours on BE even though I don't post that much myself. x
(AF 52)

Steve54
Last Drink Date: 03 Mar 2018
First Sober Date: 03 Mar 2018

Post by Steve54 » 27 Aug 2016 17:32

MH

Are you in the UK or US?

It's sometimes hard to work out where people are from

Steve
I post daily to remind myself of my addiction to alcohol. Each dry day is not to be taken for granted as temptation is merely a sip away

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 29 Aug 2016 19:16

I'm 30 days AF and just joined 2 month challenge .... My aim is stopping forever but I set myself 3 months.... I'll be back on here in another 30 days.

Did anyone get terribly sick at 1 month?

leslans

Post by leslans » 31 Aug 2016 18:44

That is a lovely way to spend an evening MH. I have visited many of the Greek islands over my lifetime, some back packing some more sophisticated hotels. I remember fondly visiting Agistri, a very small place across from Aegina where there was only one vehicle in the whole island the local bus. The usual runs to no timetable type of thing. I remember staying in a very basic apartment where the locals could not do enough for us. A great experience. You had to go to another island to buy a newspaper if you wanted one!!!! I also have very fond memories of Spetsae and the horse drawn carts.

Argostoli, on the island of kefalonia. Beautiful place. I stayed in Skala before it became more developed, probably over 30 years ago. There wasn't much there, just a handful of tavernas. There was also a doctor who I had cause to visit because I was so pissed I fell in the room and had to go and make sure I was ok.....or so I was told. We experienced an underwater earthquake when we were there too. I remember sitting on the beautiful beach which was lined with pine trees when suddenly the very still sea started to become quite rough and choppy. Thinking it was the swell from a boat at first we were surprised to learn from the locals that there had been a small quake, which had followed a larger one which had been on the mainland. Skala was a very beautiful place back in the day.

Yes we are probably a lot more materialistic here in the UK, some of that is to our advantage, some not. You are very lucky to live where you do and I certainly understand the draw. I am lucky at where I live, it is very pretty, quiet and just what I need today. It's always lovely to read your posts on here MH.

So a very quiet evening ahead......waiting to hear from my daughter who is still trekking Mt Toubkal in Morrocco and from what I understand is having a great time. Love to you all and kalinihta to you MH. ;)?

leslans

Post by leslans » 03 Sep 2016 06:43

MH! You are most certainly in a good place at the moment, hold onto that as it is the most precious thing in your life. I posted on the wobble board last night, momentarily I hasten to add. I very soon realised that it was a mistake and to remove the calmness and peace in my life by picking up a drink would be sheer madness. How quick we are to forget the turmoil and pain we go through whilst we are drinking as we seek solace from the poisen of our choice. No I will not go back there.

Reading through the paper this morning, what a very sad world some people live in. Far from the poverty in this world is the delusional world of those seeking a "good" life through materialistic gains. It is so sad to see people looking for short term pleasure from a meaningless life of indulgence. I am very lucky to be comfortable in my life. By that I mean I have worked hard for the home I have and the clothes I wear. I love to take a holiday and I am a member of a golf club. I take none of it for granted and despite what I have, my life is relatively simple and I am truly grateful for that. Greed is something I cannot understand. Although greed was probably very much present in my life when I was drinking. A delusional life, delusional thoughts looking for something which is simply not there.

So another day, I go to London this morning to pick up my bedraggled daughter who nearly made it to the summit of Toubkal, to only be taken very poorly with 4 hours to go and had to come back down the mountain, a very distraught young woman, but one who has accepted she had to listen to her body as she was violently sick and just could not go on. An experience I will hear all about shortly when she lands at Heathrow.

Have a lovely day everyone <:)>

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 11 Sep 2016 16:57

Hi MH, if you have time before you go out this evening , read back on a couple of your latest posts to help you build some confidence , sober muscles , to get through the evening . The evening will pass and tomorrow is another day, fresh day, no hangover regret day .

If the man witters on about one thing , you could always think of another thing to talk about or switch off a bit whilst he's talking . I have sometimes done that if , say, a friend of daughter's, father, has gone on ( and that's when he hasn't had a drink !)

I do hope the evening goes well, enjoy the surroundings ,hopefully it will be good weather , enjoy the food and remember we are with you in mind ;)?
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Blifter

Post by Blifter » 12 Sep 2016 17:15

I don't know if i have mentioned it before MH but i really enjoy reading your posts even though i suspect they are sometimes hard to write. There is a brutal honesty in them that i think we need to all face up to on this journey but you articulate it paricularly well. I wish you well on it.

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Jaded
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2017

Post by Jaded » 13 Sep 2016 11:46

Hi to all :\:

MH -- looking forward to having you move in to the 6 month thread \:)/ I've become kind of....stuck there, by my own choice, because I've become rather attached to Trina, Blifter, Sarah and Legate there :)

I did have a "slip" at 204 days because of an emotional meltdown, so not actually sure where i belong month-thread-wise :? I've been posting on the 2 month thread also, figuring I will catch up with myself eventually :mrgreen:
Mountainhare wrote:Alcohol is not the problem. I am the problem. Alcohol only becomes the problem when I drink it.
I am finding more and more that this is so true.

Sometimes when I get that "hollow feeling" you described, I believe I'm actually missing the past in a weird way, it's not actually alcohol I'm missing, but that I am missing how it used to be and the good times that I had (admittedly the "good" is seen through the rose colored glasses of time!)

Anyhoooo....just wanted to say keep it going \:)/ and I'm leaving the light on for ya!

jaded
xo

p.s. Blifter \:)/ <:)>
“Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you can do it better" -- Zig Ziglar

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 21 Nov 2016 10:03

MODERATOR POST

This Thread is now closing. Please make all future posts on The Two and Three Month Challenge. Thank you.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.