Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The First 7 Days

Big Sis
Last Drink Date: 13 Feb 2011

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by Big Sis » 07 Jan 2011 10:48

Good for you Grit. Have just had a flick through some of your posts, and am relieved in a way to find someone who has had similar experiences to me. Although I'm sure there are many more..
Part of the problem is that I can't stop thinking about it! I should be working right now (work at home) and this giving up business is all I can focus on.
I just know that if my other half goes to the pub tonight, the temptation to join him will be enormous.

Went to bed just before 12 last night, tossed and turned for ages, and was downstairs at 4.15 for a ciggie, pleading with my brain to switch off. Think I might go to town and get a rescue remedy to see if that helps.

Lisa evies mum
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2011

Post by Lisa evies mum » 07 Jan 2011 10:50

Hi Guys

Can i join you on here, have introduced myself and posted a few posts on newcomers thread but thought i best find a home for the next few days here to make it thru the weekend. Am on day 5 today as last drink sunday night. Feeling ok at the mo but am sure the friday feeling will kick in tonight. Good luck to everyone and lets hope we can stay strong xxxxxx

Grit
Last Drink Date: 23 Dec 2011

Post by Grit » 07 Jan 2011 11:07

Yes BIg Sis, it's very hard, my OH is at the pub now! I can't believe that I've slept quite well this time, not even one nightmare, unless dreaming you were back at work is a nightmare! :lol: Lisa evies mum, I'm sure nobody minds you joing everyone here, we're all in the same boat. I've found this site very welcoming.

Big Sis
Last Drink Date: 13 Feb 2011

Post by Big Sis » 07 Jan 2011 11:13

Lisa evies mum,

I only joined today and have had some encouraging replies. It is hard. Well done for posting. Its quite daunting.

Grit - I think you have amazing strength, knowing your OH is at the pub now must be very tricky. I wish you the best of success for 2011. Hope we can all keep in touch on here.

Really better get on with some work and housework. Planning a healthy lunch to take mind off it, pick up little one, and go for a walk in town, even if it is raining!

hungryghost
Last Drink Date: 08 Aug 2013

Post by hungryghost » 07 Jan 2011 11:18

Great to hear people's stories. Nice to know that you don't have to go it alone. Big Sis, the sleep thing is a hard one. I found it hard to sleep last night and then when I did, distubing stuff! Strangely I feel a bit cleansed this morning as a result. If you are looking for help for sleeping try some herbal tablets such as natrasleep (?) - these can help. DON'T try rescue remedy as its mostly alcohol. Stick with it and the sleep problems will settle down in a few days.

Good luck all.
Sobriety is my number one priority.

George

Post by George » 07 Jan 2011 11:25

Know where you're coming from Big Sis, what do you plan, cutting down or stopping? As to the sleep problem, I took the easy way out and went to the doc's, that was it, dealt with.

'Course you can join in here Lisa evies mum, good place to get going ;)

Good on you Grit - any more orange :?: :D
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Grit
Last Drink Date: 23 Dec 2011

Post by Grit » 07 Jan 2011 12:01

George I've got about 20 bottles here! :P

AceGricer

Post by AceGricer » 07 Jan 2011 12:19

Chrissie ever so well done for getting back into the Quest.Day 6 for me.Feeling OK. I think I'll complete this challenge OK but what concerns me will be where I go from here.I have this pattern of stopping sometimes for as much as a few months and then confidently announcing that I will resume moderate social drinking without difficulty and start off doing exactly that.All OK for a while and then the silly stuff starts again.But I want to avoid all of that and stay abstinent permanently.I won't go on about that here I'll discuss all of it on another thread I'm on quite frequently.
I saw a few pages back a new person on here expressing hesitancy to post about matters including advice for the rest of us.Please don't hang back from doing so on the grounds of just joining BE.All are welcome, all experiences conclusions and advice particularly appreciated. There is no hierarchy based on time spent using the Alcohol Support Forum.
Have a Good Day Everyone
Ace

George

Post by George » 07 Jan 2011 12:56

Grit, that's paradise (::)
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

T4ACDAN
Last Drink Date: 30 Dec 2013

Post by T4ACDAN » 07 Jan 2011 13:19

Well done to all sounds like everyone is doing great.

Apart from a poor nights sleep, feeling good about tackling AF3 head on. Won't be hitting that hurdle until a bit later on today.

GO TEAM AF3!!! :D :D

GL all

Dan
Time for a change!

Lisa evies mum
Last Drink Date: 02 Jan 2011

Post by Lisa evies mum » 07 Jan 2011 14:12

Arrrgggghhhh

Just tidying conservatory and found some budweiser bottle tops on the window ledge.....thats pissed me off!!

T4ACDAN
Last Drink Date: 30 Dec 2013

Post by T4ACDAN » 07 Jan 2011 14:55

Lisa evies mum wrote:Arrrgggghhhh

Just tidying conservatory and found some budweiser bottle tops on the window ledge.....thats pissed me off!!
Don't let it get to you, try and take some satisfaction in binning 'em! I know I've got a few empties stashed about the place I need to get rid of.
Time for a change!

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 07 Jan 2011 16:56

Hey 7 dayers, On day 4 and not doing well. Probably should be posting on the SOS thread based on the way I'm feeling. Temptation is knocking on my door with a vengeance :x Terminally ill mother-in-law...probably a matter of days. Hubby at the hospital round the clock so pretty lonely and boring here at home. Stressful family event tomorrow. AND it's Friday so the weekend is upon me :cry: No alcohol in the house...thank goodness. I'm afraid when I do venture out later today, I will make a stupid stop at the store and buy some. I know I should not and hopefully will not, but words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Worried...........

Linda
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 07 Jan 2011 17:01

Kingsnoopy, never hesitate to go to SOS. Still, I am betting you get some timely support right now.
You know it, but I'll say anyway, drinking will not help in any way with those real stressors you are facing.
I can say with something like 99% confidence that the stress related to those issues will be even worse tomorrow if you drink today. Take some deep breaths, get a little walk in, have a lovely cup of herbal tea, do something to pamper yourself.
How about it? <:)> Bela
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

damson

Post by damson » 07 Jan 2011 17:02

Hi Linda, sorry things are tough for you at the moment. Hows about turning things on their heads a bit and looking on the not drinking as a positive thing? You will be strong and sober for your OH and he will obviously need your support during this difficult time. How proud will you be of yourself if you get thru it all sober.

Do you really have to go to the shops tonight? Can you leave it till the morning when the cravings won't be as strong?

Come on, its only another day, nothing special about Friday. And un-hungover Saturdays are really good.

Stay on here and talk to us instead

Damson

Ladysnoops

Post by Ladysnoops » 07 Jan 2011 17:07

Thanks so much Bela and Damson! I'm really, really going to try and avoid the stores. I have to go out later today to go to the hospital, but planning on making a straight shot to the hospital and back home. I won't be leaving until late afternoon so hopefully by then, the urge will pass, but it is pretty strong right now. Working from home today so that is helping me stay occupied, but the knot in my stomach says it wants some alcohol to untie it :twisted:

Thanks for the encouragement.......it means the world <:)>

Linda

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 07 Jan 2011 17:18

linda, just a thought, but can you leave your purse at home when you go out to the hospital later on? or just take whatever cash you absolutely need for bare essentials, but not enough to actually purchase alcohol?

it's a strategy i have had to use myself, and i think it got me through what was day three at one point.

thinking of you,
sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

damson

Post by damson » 07 Jan 2011 17:21

Hi Linda, just go past the shops, don't even think about going in. Have you read the articles on here about dealing with cravings? You might find them helpful.

Remember the cravings will pass. Leave it ten minutes and see how you feel after that, then do another ten minutes etc.

Get yourself something sweet - chocolate or similar, it will help!

Good luck
Damson

cat girl
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2011

Post by cat girl » 07 Jan 2011 17:24

Hey Linda, you've done so well to get to day 4 and you've been feeling better... if you had a drink now, it will only be short term relief, but will perpetuate all the darkness alcohol brings with it and your situation at home and the stresses will be far far more difficult to cope with x
I'm day 4 too lovey, and also finding it hard, but... let's see how far we can go, I'll do it with you. Step by step... deep breaths.
<:)>

Ladysnoops

Post by Ladysnoops » 07 Jan 2011 17:25

Great idea silvergirl! No cash or credit cards will be good insurance :) Just driver's license and registration card.

Thanks for the idea <:)>

Linda