Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The First 7 Days

Ashling

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by Ashling » 12 May 2012 23:44

Ow, that sucks, sympathy. Good to hear you not giving up, though.
Big-badda-boom.

NotSoPuurfect
Last Drink Date: 22 Oct 2013

Post by NotSoPuurfect » 13 May 2012 01:54

Me too Lisa, was on day 7 too, ah well tomorrow is a new day and we will be stronger xx

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 13 May 2012 02:29

Twinkle wrote:Don't worry missnico on day 1 myself tomorrow, you're not on your ownxxx
(my emphasis)

That's very important and why this forum is such a help. If this weekend hasn't gone well then at least we know it's not just us. Also, there are the happy folk who fought off the demons and have shown that it can be done.

It can take several goes, sometimes many goes, to get it right so it is really important to pick youself up and carry on. This time can be the time. You can make it the time. Don't wait until Monday morning and write off Sunday as part of a lost weekend. The best time to stop is always NOW.

Keep on going folks. Our slips can make us stronger for next time - for this time! Succeeding is also pretty good. ;)

Dave

Vornec
Last Drink Date: 28 Feb 2014

Post by Vornec » 13 May 2012 02:51

It's like this:

I know that I have had a problem for 5 years now. I remember telling a buddy about it right before he told me about his impending divorce. Before that, I don't think I even paid attention to my drinking. Yes, I drank plenty, but it was not the daily mission that it is now. I have been struggling. I have done the 7 day before. I haven't been back here in a while because after the last 7 days I tried to go back to just light drinking and I ended up just back in the same hole as before. I drink a 6 pack of beer every day. Worst part is I can't even afford it any more. Second worst part is I am always looking around for my next drink after the 6th is gone. Thirdly (if counting even matters) is that I am SO FAR BEHIND in life because I waste so much time and brainpower drinking. I know what to do... stop the drinking, but it scares the hell out of me to think about going without. I want my mind back. Hell, I want my body back... A few weeks ago I bought a new bicycle... I thought... hey this'll be a good way to get in shape and I'll feel good about that so maybe I won't drink so much... Worked well for a couple days, then I was on to figuring out how to fit in my biking before my drinking!

I hate it, I hate it all... Today is F**ked, but tomorrow I will start anew. I want a month at least off, maybe forever, I will start again at 7 days....

Vornec

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 13 May 2012 03:08

Hi Vornec. Welcome back.

I can identify with a lot of what you say in your posts. This is definitely a good place to be. You know you can do 7 days so best wishes. It's not easy but you know you can do it.

It is important not to think too far ahead at the moment - 7 days is plenty to aim for - but I would like to just plant a little seed of thought for later. There was a time when I was afraid to think of total abstinence. That fear went away as I started to build up days AF and now I can honestly say that I do not want to drink again. Now, that is me and you are you. We are different. But the thought is this. How will your relationship with alcohol change as you continue to abstain from drinking? I don't pretend to know the answer but I am certain that it will change in some way. I have seen it in so many others here. That change may surprise you.

Take care

Dave

long over do
Last Drink Date: 14 Mar 2012

Post by long over do » 13 May 2012 06:50

i made it thru friday but screwed up sat....3 beer in the afteernoon and then 3 glasses of wine with friends and dinner,,,,,,, then came home to finish another beer.........................,.soooooooooooooo....wth..............every weekend lately i screw up....im sober all week then boom the weekend comes and i screw up at least one freackin day...tommorow is mothers day here in canada and im doing that sober.........my screw up is done ..............and back on......is this the destiny for me ,,,,screw up weekend girl.......i dont think sooo.....i kill you eaf....i dislike u eaf,,,,,,,, and i hate u eaf......................
one day at a time

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 13 May 2012 06:55

That's the spirit LOD. <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Twinkle
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-2012

Post by Twinkle » 13 May 2012 09:54

Well day 1 still! Really hating myself today why why why?!!! Had 2 bad binges Friday and Saturday feel anxious panicky exhausted! Just want to scream and cry.
Change your behaviours and your feelings will follow.

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 13 May 2012 10:06

keep going SB, you can do it!!

Hi vornec,

you and me..and probably all of us here. Sick and fed up. Don't belittle the efforts you are making though. You did 7 days and now you are back here to give it another go. Many, many are not yet even in that position and possibly will never get to it. The biggest and first step is recognising the problem and you have done that. I knew I had a problem in my twenties and didnt face up to it until I was 35, I am now 39 and I'm coming up to my 2nd week sober...the latest in a long chain of 1 year sober, 2 months sober, 1 month sober, 2 weeks sober, 1 month sober, 5 weeks sober, 2 months sober..endless weeks sober...Its an incredibly hard nut to crack and I dont mean to be discouraging but we have to be realistic and not berate ourselves for not beng instantly successful in this task. While you are gunning to be sober and having a week here and a week there and promising to stay sober and failing and picking yourself up and doing it again you are learning. And most importantly you are fighting. Keep fighting. Many self proclaimed hopeless cases I have seen on this site struggling to string a few days together and then heading on to weeks and then months of sobriety. You just need to stick with it. Keep fighting.
Enough time wasted on this.

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 13 May 2012 10:09

Hi twinkle, Sunday today, no drinking day. Monday tomorrow same again. And you will feel fine tomorrow. And with renewed resolve. Give yourself a break today. Relax. Plenty of water etc..
Enough time wasted on this.

Holly May

Post by Holly May » 13 May 2012 11:46

Hi, I'm new here- on Day Two- have intended to stop drinking every week for ages...sick of wasting my time & energy organising my life around red wine! Sick of hangovers, worried about what I'm doing to my health- things are looking up in my life so want to make the most of these opportunities- glad to find this site. Have read through a lot of posts, so going to drink lots of water today & get a few treats for tonight- great to wake up this morning, rested, refreshed & feeling positive :) ( after a really crap day yesterday with a hangover)

tonic
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2016

Post by tonic » 13 May 2012 12:03

Looks like the EAF was out in force this weekend and it has been hard for lots of us! Chin up though guys we are all still here and trying to get back on track!

I have been too-ing and fro-ing from the 7 day thread for a while now, and I have been feeling really depressed about my lack of will power and self-control. I was also starting to feel embarrassed to keep posting ‘day 1 again’ and had decided I was not going to not post until I had managed to get to at least day 6. However this morning (day 3!), I was reading through the posts and I reminded myself of a couple of things:

1) Is that I am not alone in this battle and in fact there are lots of people like me all over the world! That in itself makes me feel a lot better because having a drink problem has made me feel in some ways isolated from my friends and family and a very much alone in my private battle with myself!

2) And I actually I have had many many more days alcohol free since I started posting on Bright Eye than EVER before! In fact in the last 6 months I have had more AF days than I have had in the previous 5 years. So in many ways that is actually a massive improvement! And every time I go back to drinking, I despise it that little bit more, and I have started to look forward to feeling normal and human again instead of being scared of what that may feel like!

So hang on in there people! We are actually doing very well on our journey!

Franki – Sorry to hear you are feeling like a wreck! Is there anyone that you could call to ask to go to the store for you? You could try warm salt water on your cuts and grazes. It should help until you can get to some medical supplies. <:)>

Twinkle - I hope you feel less anxious as the day goes on. I hate that thing about drinking the most! The anxiety is horrible the next day! But the great thing is that it will lift after a day or so of not drinking so try and keep busy today and fingers cross you will feel human again tomorrow! <:)>

AND FINALLY A Big Hug to everyone on here today! <:)>
XX
Tonic

Debs

Post by Debs » 13 May 2012 12:20

Day two \:)/ .I got through yesterday and having this site helped when I wobbled. Reading through the stories and posts helped me last night. Your kindness to each other , sheer determination and courage inspired me. You are all amazing , even when you go off track you get back up and get back to fighting . I was feeling weak and sorry for myself yesterday but not today. It is a bit scary to think that I may never be able to drink again but realise that only I can do something about making the rest of my life different so am determined to sort out the mess I've got into. I hope we all have a good day today.
A huge hug and thanks <:)>

Twinkle

Post by Twinkle » 13 May 2012 13:24

New day Missnico! ;)?

The EAF is calling me alot today. You know the have a couple and you'll Feel better! :twisted: but have not succumbed and have made something to eat. Really want bedtime to come and tomorrow to start!

jamie
Last Drink Date: 30 May 2017
First Sober Date: 01 Oct 2016

Post by jamie » 13 May 2012 13:32

Day 1 again for me - It has taken 2 weeks to find the strength to start again since my last blip. Lasted 13 days with the help of BE and couldn't quite get to the 3 week thread and really annoyed with myself as I was feeling great. I have a holiday in 2 weeks and really want it to be a sober one although the little voice is telling me, you might as well enjoy yourself and start after the holiday but also know that when that little glimmer of motivation is there for me to stop, I need to take it. I wake up every morning feeling like crap and saying that today is the day but by the afternoon I am planning ways to have a drink in the evening. Then settle myself down with two bottles of wine - my company for the evening, something to look forward to.
Looking back and contrast my two weeks alcohold free - I went to work every day, had a few moments but on the whole after a couple of days felt great, not having to avoid people in the morning and motivated to start hobbies, go for a walk, went to the cinema. Got through some cravings with the help of other people on here doing the same. Then the second Friday - always Fridays!! finished work and just thought fxxx it I need a drink - I deserve it and it will just be tonight, tomorrow straight back on. But it never ever has been just one night or just one drink. Have been trying to stop for 10 years or more now and it is progressively getting worse, getting harder to stop but when I do life just changes, depression lifts for me and things seem possible. Contrast that with two weeks back on the wine and have managed about 3 days in the office, another 4 having to work from home or find excuses to take leave and no motivation to do anything. When I do go, avoiding people in the mornings, mints, eyedrops, all my usual probably futile ways of hiding the drink. Spend evenings and weekends depressed and crying and feeling my life is messed up but still I end up at the shop buying my two bottles of wine knowing that if I drink them I will not get to work or will not get out of the house the next day. Why, why??? Today is going to be tough, sunny Sunday but I am feeling strong and determined to not have that wine and wake up tomorrow hangover free. Thanks for listening
Hi to everyone else on this thread, new or starting again.

Twinkle

Post by Twinkle » 13 May 2012 13:44

Welcome back Jamie well done for being back here ;)?

MissNico - I did 10 beers in the end but managed to make myself eat or I would have just carried on and on! That bloody EAF won't seem to leave today. I wish I could hide from the world and just stay in bed but I have 2 very lively children (3 & 4 year old) to try and keep occupied! Children and hangovers are really not a good combination and I keep thinking of having a drink to liven me up and get through the next 6 or 7 hrs till they go to bed! But I'm gonna try and be strong and to be honest I spent every last penny I had on beer last night which I'm really annoyed about also!
Big hugs to you and everyone else to get through today AF <:)>

Twinkle

Post by Twinkle » 13 May 2012 13:56

You have a small one aswell missnico? Totally agree with what you say about existing and how different you are AF. Xxx

Twinkle

Post by Twinkle » 13 May 2012 13:58

missnico wrote:Hey twinkle

Try not to have a drink its going to get you back to square one I know its really hard i feel a bit the same but I have a four year old here aswell and if I went and bought alcohol id be spending the last of are money. Im just hoping I will feel better tomorrow . Do you still have alcohol left in the house?

Love Nic
xxxx
Yes there's 1 beer calling me! But I know if I have that the craving for more will be worse than what it is now and I have no money to get more and I will just be delaying feeling normal again xxx

jamie
Last Drink Date: 30 May 2017
First Sober Date: 01 Oct 2016

Post by jamie » 13 May 2012 14:05

Hi Twinkle and Missnico for replying and try to keep strong and think of how much better we will all feel tomorrow if we can get through this evening alcohol free. Someone on here wrote that they never regret in the morning that they didn't drink, only that they did and even if I feel a bit groggy it is 100% better than how I felt waking up this morning. I am feeling fine just now but hardest time for me will be that early evening 5 ish so going to try to keep busy. Sweet things and food do seem to help me as when I am really hungry in the evening, cravings are hard to resist. I have just poured some wine dregs down the sink and going to somehow find some motivation to tidy up a bit. I can relate to what you were saying Missnico - I feel like a completely different person when I don't drink and feel like life just passes me by when I am drinking.

Twinkle

Post by Twinkle » 13 May 2012 14:14

missnico wrote:Twinkle,

Your right 1 beer isnt going to make you feel better. Can you pour it away?

xx
When I read this I had to take a really deep breath and thought oooooooh I don't know about that throw it away?!!!! But I did promise sober buddies for today, so I will get my sorry little backside off my bed and go downstairs and pour it away! Will be back in a min!