The First 7 Days

Swordgirl

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by Swordgirl »

Hi Peeps
is there room for one more on board? I'm back again. Managed to stay off it yesterday but think I need some like minded company. It's SO easy to drift off course.

Will catch up with you all later.
Love Swordgirl.xx

Roselily
Last Drink Date: 12 Aug 2012

Post by Roselily »

Morning everyone, I joined you all last night, just
touching base, thank you for your welcome Michael,
finally got off to sleep and woke feeling so
proud for getting to day two. Yesterday was my first alcohol
free day for 4 months and it felt like ever
trying to get to this point so I'm determined
this time. Looking forward to getting to know
everyone, apologies if in the early days I forget names
or miss anyone out. We can beat this poisonous monster,
let's not fall for her charm! Thinking of you all
today, Rose.

TAD

Post by TAD »

Welcome Swordgirl!!

Well done Roselily!!

I absolutely have to go to work now - wish I could stay on this site all day!!!!

Look forward to catching up with everyone later.

Tricia xx
Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Meesha
Last Drink Date: 30 Jul 2012

Post by Meesha »

Hi all:))

I started on this challenge a couple of weeks ago, got to day 6 but then failed:( and it's been off and on since then, (with some very embarrassing overly drunk blackout momenta to tug at the guilt and shame strings) but I'm currently on day 4 now, and am more determined than ever to succeed, so am checking back in for the first time in a couple of weeks.
Ive realised It helps to have help, im even gunna go for some counciling or group sessions somewhere as I'm coming up to the point I usually give in and feel if I can just get past a couple of weeks I'll be on the right road, so I'm doing whatever it takes, and as sideshowshaz's signature teaches, if you want different results, you have to do something different, repeating the same ol same ol will always get the same ol results. (as I have repeatedly proved to myself over and over ......)

Here we go......see you on day seven!!

Good luck and take care all, :)) and well done rose!!!!! Keep at it!!

sarahmae

Post by sarahmae »

TAD wrote:Sarahmae.

Well done for getting to day two.

This hurt and shame will pass - I promise. I am sure that if you drank more than your usual there is more alcohol in your system than usual also. Your body is probably still tired from the the processing it has gone under so this is also why you could still be feeling a bit under the weather. Please try and get through today.

Stay strong and stay sobor - it will get better!!!

Will be checking in all day from my phone but not posting much as I will be at work but sending positive thoughts your way. There are a few of us on day 2 today which is great - we can all work together.

Tricia xx

Thanks Tricia. I hope so. Just spoke to my Mum on the phone & offloaded. Shes been very supportive as I knew she would. Although most my family know I like a drink still did feel very ashamed telling her how bad it had got. Am just hoping I will feel better tomorrow. Hope it was nice getting up to a nice clean flat & no headache :)

dawnmac

Post by dawnmac »

Hi everyone
Not been on here for a week had a wee meltdown :( but back on again, reading all your encouraging messages. So another day one looms, I just can't seem to get past day 3 but even today, day one again, is daunting me. I will do it, I've started Zumba again which I stopped as it interfered with wine o clock. Good luck, hopefully I will be on later, sober ;) xxxxxxxx

wystan
Last Drink Date: 20 May 2012

Post by wystan »

Day 4 here
Hi SARAHMAE - Yes, it is really just the alcohol in the system. But I will say what everyone else is probably thinking. If that's the worst you ever get to, then you can feel so fortunate. I'm not saying this in a ner ne poo poo way - I too have been lucky (so far) but even I have had really horrible incidents - losing my wallet and passport in Greece missing my plane - having to have money wired to me ... wetting the bed ... passing out and getting things stolen ... yada yada. Then there are the people who have lost jobs, spouses, people who are dying of drink but are sober. So if you think about it this way, I hope you can see making a bit of a tit of yourself is an easy low to come back from. It's the other things you want to avoid! Because they are just different actions of the same person - us!
Hi SWORDGIRL. I recognise you from way back. Well done for coming back. I should have done this but was too High and Mighty and then High and Low.
Hi ROSE - glad to see you in a good frame of mind alcohol free.
MEESHA - given that counselling sessions will take a few days and you might wobble, do stick around here and talk to us. We know more about boozing than most counsellors do and will understand what you have been through with, let us say, more immediacy ahem. Or you could try AA if you want to get through a certain period of days of course.
And hello DAWN - you are in good company. There are a number of lovely ladies here who are teaming up to get beyond about that level. I'm sure you can be in their gang. You can certainly be in mine. And I've no doubt Zumba is probably the antidote to most things.
I'm feeling quite jolly. Just doing a bit of work (making models) then I am off to a mediation drop-in class. Bit of a scary one because it's meditation plus looking more at Buddhism and it's a "men's group" so I have a fear that everyone will know each other. I'm also looking at doing a part time pure care job - which will be quite something because I've spent most of my life in an office on MS Word, as you can probably tell (is he still going?!). I think that will barely pay the bills and could be interesting to see if I enjoy serviing people who are not going to be that easy always (or hate it actually) while leaving time to do my art projects or fulfill freelance writing gigs, if and when they appear.

Better get on. I'll try and post less but since no one talks to me much anyway, perhaps it doesn't matter ;-)
Michael

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Last drink, 10 August.

wystan

Post by wystan »

Oh and TAD - keep at it! I wanted to say that although your work computer can be checked, people will not be reading what you have written. They may possibly have checks for words like sex or drugs (but that's unlikely) It's more a question of if you have done anything wrong they will have a record. And there's no law against trying to help yourself get sober. Don't quote me but thought I would mention it if it made a difference.
Michael

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Last drink, 10 August.

TAD

Post by TAD »

Thanks Michael! Will ponder on that 1...at least I have my phone 2 pop in n out!!
T x
Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Popsicle
Last Drink Date: 08 Aug 2012

Post by Popsicle »

Hi Swordgirl, roselily, dawnmac and Meesha and morning to everyone \:)/

Sarahmae you will feel better more so as today wears on and even more so tomorrow when the hangover will have totally worn off. Easier said than done I know but try not to worry about what other people say it's you that matters, you're the one living your life, save your energy on looking after yourself <:)>

Day 6 here and I feel physically shocking, had an awful night of night sweats (sorry yuck!), very restless and my head is absolutely banging this morning. Am getting myself a bit worked up too as I know this evening is going to be DANGER. OH is out and children are at grandparents so that is normally a green light for me to get the bottle opener out and just keep on pouring. Have got tons of work to do today so have to immerse myself in that and deal with this evening later. Will definitely be here later.

Wystan looking for a waving smiley but can't find one so here's a cheer instead \:)/ Good luck with the meditation class.

Good luck to everyone on day 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 come on let's do this for us. ;)?

Rubyred

Post by Rubyred »

Hi All

Starting day 2 and feeling ok. For the first time last night I was suprised at how noisy the area where I live is. I guess I am that used to going to bed in a drunken haze.
Reading through the.forums is an eye opener for me, I can relate to so much of it.
Xx

wystan

Post by wystan »

Thanks Popsicle - don't glug, you'll have to go through it all over again! :o
Welcome Ruby x
Michael

Last drink, 10 August.

aj

Post by aj »

Hi everyone and Swordgirl:)

I have been writing on the re-grouping thread and moving over to start day one of this challenge. I don't write very often and can never remember names although I do read every day, so please don't take it as my not being active or encouraging. Reading all your entries is what gets me motivated, I am one of those people in life that has to read and read about a subject, it doesn't matter what it is, as you may have gathered my bookshelf is an eclectic mix:).

I have one dream that re-occurs, I am back in the nursing school I started my nursing 'career' in, I so desperately wanted to be there, it was something I had dreamt about, It was also a very prestigious place world renowned in it's field; and yet it's the place that I cocked up in, I passed my exams but by the skin of my teeth, I never studied I never made the most of it, and I never went on to have the 'career' I could have had, and this dream is always the same I am being given a second chance, and it makes me so happy, and often when I wake up I am so disappointed that I am not there.

And yet I have a chance now to make that right, and the first step is to not drink every night.

So here goes.

Best wishes everyone.

Sair
Last Drink Date: 18 Nov 2017

Post by Sair »

Morning all !!!
DAY 2 / DAY 2 /DAY 2 / DAY 2 / DAY 2 / DAY 2 /DAY 2 / DAY 2 /DAY 2 / DAY 2 /DAY 2 / DAY 2 / DAY 2 /b]

Bit late checking in this morning - shocking internet connection and my phone was playing either!!!

So many of us on here now and a lot of us a Day 2 !! So pleased that there are so many day 2'ers that means a good deal of support from those going through the same.

Welcome Swordgirl, Roselily, Sarahmae and Rubyred and Meesha - haven't 'met' you yet - good to have you here and well done ;)? The more you read people's stories the more you can relate, we've all been there and done that and wished we hadn't !!!!!!

Tricia - day 2 hon!!!!!! YEEEE HAAAA !!!! Started the Jason Vale book and he talks a lot of sense so far, I think it might become a bit of a 'Bible' for me ..... fingers crossed anyhow. Hope you have a really good day and keep strong hon !!!

Wystan - just wanted to say I love your posts !!! They are so honest and you've got a wealth of experience which you so openly share. Thank you.

Keep the faith today all - keep strong my fellow day 2'ers !!!!!!

Love Sarah
xxx
I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control.
I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul.
Thom Yorke

Big Dave
Last Drink Date: 30 Sep 2012

Post by Big Dave »

Hi All <:)>

Day 5 today and finally feeling better after that HORIFFIC bender.

Going to spend some time with my family today which will be nice because I'm fresh and positive.

Have a good day all!

Big Dave

Sair

Post by Sair »

Popsicle wrote:sarahmae you will feel better tomorrow and even better the next day. Don't be too hard on yourself you have done the best thing you could registering here today. I think we have a number of things in common , i also have 3 children of similar ages as yours. i need to do this for them as much as for myself especially as they are getting older and i can't get away with the excuses i have made in the past for my behaviour while inebriated or while hungover.
Sarahmae and Popsicle
I've got 3 children too. A boy aged 8 and 2 little girls aged 6 and 5. They are lovely and a big motivator for me. Although in the past I've used them as an excuse to buy a bottle of white wine, if we've not had a good day with lots of bickering and crying (you know the ones I'm sure) I've seen that as an excuse to 'console' myself and feel that I deserve it after a tough day. Not nice.

I also feel dreadful after a night on the vino. Bruises etc but the worry and paranoia about who might have seen me and what I might have said is far worse and has consumed me in the past. I've laid in bed the next morning totally mortified and wondering how its all going to end up for me.

My husband drinks and he doesn't have a problem at all. He can pick up a few cans of lager for a Friday night and maybe not bother again for a week. Equally he can go and have a 'skinfull' with his friends and get blind drunk but not in the same way as me. I think part of him wishes I could drink with him and enjoy it like he does and he'll miss his drinking partner. But he also realises that my relationship with alcohol is not the same as his and my path will end up no place good. My Dad died of cirrhosis of the liver 4 years ago and he was only 65. His consultant said some peoples livers have a lower tolerance to alcohol than others and people can be genetically predisposed to this. Yet I've carried on until now. Mental.

Sorry if i've banged on a bit !!! Will catch up with you all later, hoping to hear your success stories for the day.

Sarah
xxx
Thom Yorke

Sair

Post by Sair »

Big Dave wrote:Hi All <:)>

Day 5 today and finally feeling better after that HORIFFIC bender.

Going to spend some time with my family today which will be nice because I'm fresh and positive.

Have a good day all!

Big Dave
Yaaaaay !!!! Go Big Dave !!!! Happy day 5 and enjoy y our day.

Sarah x (::)
Thom Yorke

wystan

Post by wystan »

Hi Sarah - just a quick one. Good for you on your progress. In terms of your husband going out and getting blind drunk on a regular basis, I'd just like to point out that even tho lots of people do this, it's really not normal or healthy! People in Muslim or Hindu countries don't for example. I'm not saying your husband has a problem as such. I'm just saying that people who are truly happy don't do this on purpose. What would your kids think if they say him blind drunk with his work mates?

SO MY POINT IS for you, I don't think it's much to aspire to, to be honest. Much better to aspire to being completely sober and mentally pure - no? Hard, but more worthwhile, I think.
Michael

Last drink, 10 August.

Sair

Post by Sair »

wystan wrote:Hi Sarah - just a quick one. Good for you on your progress. In terms of your husband going out and getting blind drunk on a regular basis, I'd just like to point out that even tho lots of people do this, it's really not normal or healthy! People in Muslim or Hindu countries don't for example. I'm not saying your husband has a problem as such. I'm just saying that people who are truly happy don't do this on purpose. What would your kids think if they say him blind drunk with his work mates?

SO MY POINT IS for you, I don't think it's much to aspire to, to be honest. Much better to aspire to being completely sober and mentally pure - no? Hard, but more worthwhile, I think.
Michael,
ever the voice of reason and thank you for your reply :) . You are, ofcourse, absolutely right. I think he likes getting drunk now and again, but he can handle those in-between days and I can't - I didn't seem to have many in-between days at all !!!!

I will be so proud if I can hold my head up at any party, wedding, birthday, Christmas, New Year (or even just sitting at home on the sofa) with a nice glass of sparkling water in my hand and a head full of serotonin !!!!! Definitely more worthwhile, I agree !!!
Thank you for your sense !!!!
Sarah x
Thom Yorke

wystan

Post by wystan »

Oh, I'm really glad it made sense - it makes me very happy to be useful at the moment! Now, if I could only listen to myself...!
Michael

Last drink, 10 August.