The First 7 Days

Edward_g

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by Edward_g »

Mrclub, that's very thoughtful of you. Best to you friend.
I'm on day five this morning. I slept like a log last night. It's so different from alcohol induced sleep. The only problem is that in the afternoon the EAF tries her darndest to convince me that the only way to relax in the evening and ultimately get to sleep is to be buzzed into submission. Very hard not to take her up on this. But it is so much of a lie. I know she will continue to offer this forever I suppose. The trick will be to continue to be able to get beyond those strong urges to give in. I hope that I will remember how much better it feels to be sober throughout the night and wake truly refreshed. Not to mention no regrets from another failed attempt at facing this demon.
I should be ok tonight as I have evening business to attend to. I'm not expecting to be challenged until tomorrow evening on day six. Or you could say day seven eve.
So I'll be prepared for it anyway, knowing that it's coming my way tomorrow afternoon. This is sort of like watching a hurricane forecast. Knowing it's out there and heading my way. I'm not just going to stand on the beach and ignore the warning and drown. I'll take cover and prepare or possibly evacuate.
I must be responsible to do the right thing.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Rubyred

Post by Rubyred »

Hi All,
Day 3 for me and so far so good, quite enjoyed being wokn up early by my son bouncing on my bed, managed to have a fun breakfast too. At the moment I am feeling quite positive.........however.......as a single mum who has just moved to a new area I am finding the evenings a struggle. I am so lonely and EAF was the only company I had once my son was in bed. Reading the forums on here are helpful.
Might have to let myself get engrossed in Celeb BB!!!!

take care

x

TAD

Post by TAD »

HI everyone!!

Good and bad news for me - Don't have to work today "yay!"...means day off and possible battle commencement with EAF later - so that's the bad bit.

Went to the gym this morning as planned and had an amazing workout...really great workingout without any alcohol in my system from the night before - so much easier and more productive!!!!

Chriscole, I also relate to you about the alcohol and happiness. I was washing up just now and thinking to myself just how happy I am feeling, just standing there washing up!!! Then, out of no-where (think it was EAF) a voice popped into my head trying to tempt me into buying a bottle of Pinot when I go shopping later. How lovely it would be to 'treat' myself for being so good, and how only one wouldn't harm me etc. I am currently trying to remember that instead of succuming to this temptation I really should be celebrating my freedom - celebrating being ABLE to realise that actually it won't make me feel any better, not after one glass anyway, I will feel absolutely terrible tommorow morning, and for the rest of the day, and I won't be able to work as hard in the gym tommorow. Apart from all of that, I will have to return here tommorow on yet another day one. Let's hope these reminders to self will be as prominent later!!!!

Rubyred - I sometimes feel a bit lonely, but more often bored, bored, bored. This is yet another trigger for me to give in to the illusion of alcohol so I think I know where you are coming from there. Celeb BB...sounds like a plan, maybe with some cheesecake! I'm also on day three and it's usually my slip day, but I'm really trying to stay determined to keep going this time. Let's do it!!!!

MrClub - great you made a decision. Best of luck with your journey on the cutting-down thread, and thanks for thinking of us here when you made that decision (hope that makes sense?!) We all have our own journies here on this site and what makes it so wonderful is that there is opportunity for everyone to address their own issues with alcohol in the way that suits them best. Reeeeespect!

Edward-g - I like your game plan!!! I can feel that hurricane whisking towards me at the moment so any useful experiences I will share with you for when your storm arrives - that is if it does at all!!!! Don't work too hard tonight!

Sarahmae - yay - you got the book!!!! I'm almost finished - and have found it really helpful. The 'other Sarah' has it too, hope you find it helpful!!! I'm also kind of dreading the weekend, but have put better strategies into place this week. Am planning an alcohol free trip to the theatre on Sat night, after lunch with a 'non-drinking' friend in the afternoon!!! I love the gym - I don't have children so have more (sometimes too much) time on my hands - it's kind of a saviour to me at the moment and working out without a hangover is so much better!!! My reward for an alcohol free friday and saturday night is a trip to the gym on Sunday morning...(!)

BIngeahoic - how are you doing? Sorry to hear your gym closed - bummer. Day 3 is a nightmare for me too but I seriously can't take the thought of letting myself down yet again this week. I will be here later if your in need??!!!!

Hi Isobel - great you're joining us - hope you find this site helpful and inspiring.

Sammyd - so glad you're feeling better!!!!! Well done for getting through that horrible period - day three too - I know it's difficult, but apparantly it gets better....!!!

Swordgirl, Roselilly, Nowornever, Deasmead (ANOTHER DAY THREE'er \:)/ ) and anyone else I have not mentioned, stay positive, stay powerful and stay happy.

Michael, you seem a bit quiet today? Hope you're busy being busy and having a good day. I miss your posts!

Teresa, if you're reading these posts, please drop me a line...thinking of you hun :)

I'm off to the dentist soon - dreading it but gotta go. Then going shopping for some healthy food and a trip down the alcohol isle without buying anything - just because I can ;) !

Tricia xx
Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

hi sair,tricia,rubyred <:)>

ruby, really big brother?? :) how about movies? netflix do an offer at the moment of free online movies for a month, i did it and then cancelled, easy. mind you now i just stream films for free off of various streaming sites, lot cheaper !! :D

another thing is to find a nice AF drink you can enjoy, my favourite is pepsi max with a slice of lemon, i dont really care about the hidden dangers of all the acid and sweeteners in it because anythings better than booze at the moment.

exercise-wise im a skateboarder (dont laugh) ! so thats my exercise, i dont really enjoy running,but i have played tennis a few times and that was fun. no point doing it if it isnt fun !

good luck at dentist tricia, i had a filling last month, my first one where she used a mini g-clamp in my mouth, brutal she was!!
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

sarahmae

Post by sarahmae »

TAD wrote:

I'm also kind of dreading the weekend, but have put better strategies into place this week. Am planning an alcohol free trip to the theatre on Sat night, after lunch with a 'non-drinking' friend in the afternoon!!!
Tricia xx
Tricia

How funny I have just booked a babysitter for Sat night so me & my husband can go out to the cinema...usually we would sit in & drink wine watching TV!! I need to plan more things like this I think. I have done an online shop today too & removed all the bottles of white wine from my favourites list & ordered a big bar of green & blacks chocolate instead (that's for Friday night!)

xx

wystan
Last Drink Date: 20 May 2012

Post by wystan »

Hello yes I am around, sober and busy, even if posting less. Went to a drop-in meditation and Buddhist story time this morning and am working on crafts at the moment.

Thought you all might be amused by a cartoon I did yesterday. It's called "this is the news." The rainbow-y bit says "Olympics!" in case you can't read it at this resolution...
Attachments
Normal 2.PNG
Normal 2.PNG (224.44 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Michael

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Last drink, 10 August.

stu5005
Last Drink Date: 14 Aug 2012

Post by stu5005 »

Hi All

There are a few new faces on here so hello to you all aswell and hope everyone is ok , i relapsed the other day so it is back on day one for me again , it seems that every 5th day i go on a massive binge , i have yet to get past the 5th day now for many months but have had an alcohol problem for a very long time. I haven't posted in a while as i'm always feeling very depressed now , also taking anti-depressants and drinking is never a good idea. I'm only 33 but my body feels more like 63 , i so much want to get off the drink. Perhaps i can check in here on day 5 to make sure that i get past it , i think that will be the first step in the right direction. Take care everyone and warmest regards , stu

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

hi stu, im 32 so were nearly the same age!!
sorry for your constant relapses, mine is always either at 2 weeks or the 1 month point. i hope to change that this time around. a few more days and youre on the 2 week challenge ;)?
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

barbarella

Post by barbarella »

I am on day one again, as I started on Monday and drank last night. I am getting more and more focused on not drinking - even if I take one night off I feel SO MUCH BETTER the next day! I am energetic and bounce right out of bed early and head to the gym. It is a great feeling...so why can't I get past that day 1? I did once, for three days, and then work pressures got to me. I am fairly new in a city (dallas) that I really do not care for. I have a few friends, all who are single and like to go out to HH or whatever and try to meet guys. I am not really into that, but since I am totally bored (after living in NYC where there is always something to do that is interesting in its own right, sans alcohol) I tend to drink by myself. I want something to do, so I go out to dinner and of course, wind up have 3 or 4 margaritas or glasses of wine...then I am buzzed and want more so I go buy another bottle, or a 6 pack of beer. And finish it all, until I fall into my bed and basically pass out. It is very sad to be so lonely that I have to turn to alcohol as a "friend". I am trying to find organizaitons to join, and did just join a gym to help me get back into my "normal" lifestyle. If I could balance alcohol, I would love to drink the ocassional glass or two of wine. I want to get to that point because, lets face it, having a nice warm fuzzy feeling from a limited amount of alcohol is nice. It is when the fuzzy turns to sloppy that the line is crossed. I am really enjoying the posts here, and realize that there are many people with the same problem...too much time on their hands, or feeling out of control of their life, or just plain living in a boring city where the focus is going out to drink. Texas has the highest rate of alcohol related accidents. Not something to be proud of. I tend to stick close to home or walk to my drinking destinations...but still, the point is, my life revolves around drinking. i don't typically drink during the day but every Saturday or Sunday afternoon I find myself bored to tears and lo and behold go to get a drink...wind up having 4 or 5. It keeps increasing. It is the worst feeling to know one can not control their vices. I wake up every day, now for the past three months, saying I do not want to drink anymore, until (and if) I can get it under control. I am so responsible in other ways - and I kicked a bad drug habit by simply removing myself from the temptations. But alcohol is an "accepted" drug that surrounds us daily and it is impossible to escape if you are not a hermit. I stopped keeping alcohol in the house - but the liquor store is one block away....luckily, if I make it to 9PM it is closed and I am regulated to either a convenience store or nothing. Sometimes I choose nothing - more often than not, I go to the convenience store and buy a 6 pack intending to have just two. Then the buzz comes on and I continue to the finish.

Thanks for listening - I had to get this all out so that I can look back at my post daily and get incouragement from my own words.

Love this site and all the inspirational posts!

sarahmae

Post by sarahmae »

Bloomin heck...OH has just returned form work & opened a cold bottle of Cava...heard the cork go! Bit cross really. Never mind I am off to have hot bath & read my book.

Deseamed

Post by Deseamed »

Hi everyone! Just checking in at the end of day 3 AF, tonite was tough as my wife was out all evening and boredom can be a trigger.
Kept busy doin jobs around the house ive been putting off which helped. Stu, i cant remember the last time i went past 5 days so your not alone. I finally admitted to my wife how bad the drinking had got and happy to say how supportive she is being, even saying she wont drink either ( but she could take it or leave it anyway something i couldnt) .
Only been on BE since monday but its given me hope and determination to finally change.
Thanks guys!!

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Well done deseamed. day by day. Often I misread signs in the early days I'd think I'd want a drink, but really I was hungry or tired. So I'd use the 10 minute rule - put off the drink for 10 minutes and have a drink or make a sandwich - or both. And I'd frequently put myself to bed quite early, simply to take myself away from temptation.

EDIT soft drink!!!
be selfish in your sobriety.

Rubyred

Post by Rubyred »

Hi all

Guess its day 1 tomorrow:-(
Right now I think that maybe I should admit my alcohol problem to my doctor but I dont have the courage to do it. I feel so guilty as I have has so much suppport from BE but as per usual I am putting muself down and thinking I do not deserve it.
I will check in tomorrow (maybe with a hang over but I do seem to suffer from them less these days)
I always remember when I was about 22 drinking 1 can of lager and being so drunk I was put to bed but had no memory of it. Now I can drink a 12 pk and just feel like crap for a few hours the next day.
Wish I was eating cheesecake:-!

xx

Swordgirl

Post by Swordgirl »

Hi fellow 7 dayers!
just a quick post to say I have managed to get another day under my belt - phew! Congrats to all who are getting on with this challenge today.

Wystan - I liked your cartoon, I have a huge Olympic sized hole in my life this week :(

Barbarella - love the name! You seem to have a really god understanding/awareness of your situation. All those sober days add up, every time you try and do it you are getting closer to your goal. Keep on doing what you are doing, everyone here has had numerous day 1s, it's all part of the process. Before long you will be stringing together more and more days. Good luck!

Sarahmae - ooh dear, cava??? How rude! That's the spirit! You can ignore this!

Love to all and good luck tomorrow (esp Ruby!)
Swordgirl.xxx

Roselily
Last Drink Date: 12 Aug 2012

Post by Roselily »

Hello everyone, touching base on my iPhone, excuse any mistakes.
Just climbed into bed at the end of day 3, hope you have all had a
good day and are feeling ever more determined to succeed on this
AF journey. Have felt a little low today and struggled a little when I
got home but had a cuppa and reminded myself of every reason why
I no longer want to drink. Shields up guys, sending you all a big <:)> . Rose xx

wystan
Last Drink Date: 20 May 2012

Post by wystan »

well done Rose. Night all!
Michael

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Last drink, 10 August.

Nowornever

Post by Nowornever »

Hi All!

It is good to see/hear everyone is focused regardless of any set backs that may arise.

Day 6 here and everything is coming along alright. I have been thinking a lot about drinking over these last 6 days and It is amazing the things that become obvious, and how you get to know yourself better (and surprise yourself :) ).
A few things that come into mind that I haven't really noticed before:
1) Laughing about drunken antics. As much as I was horrified about my some of my behavior on binges I could laugh (admittedly forced) about other drunken behavior when I was in my cups. In my opinion drunken behavior is tragic and sad. While I may look back at it with embarrassment. I will never laugh at it or anyone else's drunken behavior again.
2) To me drinking is a choice. It is black and white for me. Some say we should 'never say never'. For me never is the crucial word. I never drink - because I can't afford to. The urges will come; strong at first, weaker later, they will seem to eventually disappear, but unexpectedly raise their head again. Whether it be Day 6 or Year 10 the urges may or may not come, but if it is MY choice not to drink, no matter what, then there is no need to fear them. What I have heard from people who have walked before us is that the urges do subside, and if you are aware and resolute in your choice not to drink then there is no need to white knuckle it.

Please don't think I am preaching here. This is a self-discovery for me. You may not agree, or you may - whatever works for you is the right way.

Stay strong and relaxed. One thing we have all got in common is that we are aware of the problem.
Love to all (::)

Sair
Last Drink Date: 18 Nov 2017

Post by Sair »

Morning all,

I'm back at work today after almost two weeks off and whilst I'm in no rush to go back I think getting into my normal routine will help me.

My posts might be hit and miss today as I'm sure this site will be blocked at work so i'll be reliant on my phone until tonight.

Extreme Pilates booked at the gym at 5.30, another normal routine for me, feels good to get back to normal, what a creature of habit!

Feeling a lot more confident for an AF day today!

Good luck today one and all!

Sarah xxx ;)?
Day 1
I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control.
I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul.
Thom Yorke

sammyd
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2016

Post by sammyd »

Hi everyone day 4 today. I feel very tired today started work at 5 but was still awake at midnight. I watched revenge on watch series it is great!!! Only 2 more episodes. I did feel like a drink last night but didn't succumb.I have been to day 10 before so hoping this is my time. Good luck to everyone. Sammy
Enjoy living in the present moment; forget the negativity,waste and regrets of the past.
Positivity is the first step to peace. Brahma Kumaris

Hazyhead
Last Drink Date: 13 Aug 2012

Post by Hazyhead »

Morning everyone
It's the start of day 3 for me today and I can't express enough how reading your posts about your day 2 struggles helped me thorough yesterday. I felt so depressed and really angry for some reason. I was so bad that my husband offered to go and buy me a bottle of wine! He doesn't drink either but it seems he prefers me drunk rather than being angry and low.

I ended up going to bed early and have woken up to day 3 a little less angry and a little less depressed.

Thank you everyone, I wish I could stay but have to go to work now. Keep up the good work (::)