Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The First 7 Days

sian
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2019

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by sian » 23 Jul 2015 21:38

Yep Diane - still here and sober. I know what you mean about that time around 7pm, if I can get past that I'm fine! Everyone is doing so well xx
Not one drink no matter what

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 23 Jul 2015 22:25

hi everyone, :\:

good to see you are all getting by and coping even if it aint much fun.. when i feel crap i picture that scene in trainspotting where Renton is coming off heroin ... not comparing my withdrawal with his but to see that withdrawal, all the horrible stuff , is part of getting better, it needs to be experienced to come out the other side... like escaping a nuclear wasteland but the only way out is through a dreadful,scary, horrible tunnel... but on the other side of that tunnel is a world with wonder and beauty and hope in it.

still not sleeping. was awake ALL NIGHT last night, finally falling asleep at about 8am... my body has simply forgotten how to sleep without being forced into unconsciousness by booze, i think this is going to be an ongoing problem for me.

also my appetite has not returned as i'd hoped it would when i quit, i have zero appetite. i am forcing myself to eat two slices of toast a day, though on the first day i was sick straight after.

rose, you are right,though i see it more as a spiral downwards than a circle,'cause each time i go backto drink for however many months or years i sink further. trying to take it one day at a time, sometimes just 10 minutes at a time. i'm okay thankyou :) and hope you doing okay too.

so... day 4 done, and it wasn't a nightmare, just a weary slog.

hey everyone... we are okay... we are okay people trying to deal with a difficult and not okay situation... but look at us... we ARE trying to do something, hugs to you all <:)>

peace
tj
Insert inspirational quote here....

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man » 23 Jul 2015 23:53

Fantastic evening with my sons. We saw AntMan in 3D and loved it.

Weird and superb at the same time to do an activity without alcohol coming into the equation ;)?
"Alcohol is the thief of time"
Steve

Chiffon
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2016

Post by Chiffon » 24 Jul 2015 01:08

Hi all. Still here and still back on-track. Now I just need to stop falling asleep at 7pm and waking at 1am, but that's ok.

Not read back yet, will catch up now :)

Stay strong everyone x

Sammie
Last Drink Date: 26 Oct 2018

Post by Sammie » 24 Jul 2015 07:09

Morning, day 5 here.
Not quite so grumpy this morning (::) think it was a combination of lack of sleep, stress organising the holiday, a loonnggg day at work and knowing I wasn't going to drink on holiday was making me pissed off I was having all the 'oh I'm fine, I don't have a real problem, why shouldn't I drink on holiday and be normal like everyone else' thoughts, but the thing is I can't drink normally, I drink to much, I wake up hung over, I'm grumpy with everyone especially the kids and I spend the days waiting for my first drink rather than enjoying the holiday, also I end up coming back needing a holiday from the holiday rather than feeling refreshed like I have the past two years, yes it's hard at first then it just becomes normal - actually better than normal.

PJG - day 7 today \:)/ (::) Keep going chick, can't wait to join you on the tweekers. Cow and cow poop :shock:

CT you too \:)/ (::) well done on moving onwards and upwards today.

Clovis here we go again, hold on tight, we're going to storm on <:)>

Big congrats and hugs to everyone on the thread, it's so so so tough this sober malarkey but so so so worth it, the support on here is fab, keep going peeps <:)>
Every storm runs out of rain.

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 24 Jul 2015 08:21

Hi all
Just thought I would swing by these first few days and see how you are all getting on?
It is such a mixed bag these first few days isn't it?
Knowing you need to do it
hating yourself for having to do it
loving life when you can do it
Feeling weird, but great, when you do do it
It is definitely like a roller coaster ride, emotions all over the place, hanging onto your resolve, feeling tightly strung with a kind of air of desperation around you- desperate to stop, desperate to not drink, desperate to feel better, desperate to get through another day AF, desperate to just feel normal!
It gets easier guys believe me it truly does!
You are all doing marvellous just hang tight, stay close to each other on BE, there is safety in numbers. keep busy eat well and plan for your drinking hours-replace them with new exciting activities.
You can get through these first seven days- hold on tight to your dreams and determination!
Stay strong my lovelies!

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 24 Jul 2015 09:14

Lovely post Sandy. I'll re-read that if when I get the wobbles today. ()o

PJ-G - Bog is staying sober with me, but not counting along. I'm wearing the sober pants in the house this time. ;)

Well done to all those who notched up a sober Thursday. Let's now get through Friday together.

Freshie - where are you? I know it's your birthday tomorrow and you were a tad concerned about drinking, but please just drop in to let us know how you are. <:)>

TJ - I read your post in the SOS thread - that was brilliant pouring a full can away which suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Kudos! ;)?

I won't roll call as I'll miss someone. Wishing everyone a super sober day. Swats at the ready! \:)/
Breaking on through to the other side. \:)/

Mooths
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2018

Post by Mooths » 24 Jul 2015 09:56

Well, this ought to be Day 5 for me but it's not. I was doing so well and then let my guard slip at a drinks party last night. The champage just kept on coming and I just kept on drinking it. Aaaargh! I didn't disgrace myself, but I feel really sh*t and miserable this morning (again).

Heigh ho. Here we go again....
“Being extremely honest with oneself is a good exercise.” ~ Sigmund Freud

Action

Post by Action » 24 Jul 2015 10:02

Hi Peeps.
Sorry to be the one to let the side down. I didn't make day 4. I had the bad news from the vets I was expecting and missy is very very poorly now. I've had her exactly two years today, I adopted her as an elderly dog. I thought I would be able to count the days but I am counting the hours now.

I'll try and pick up the AF baton today...
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

Mooths
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2018

Post by Mooths » 24 Jul 2015 10:57

Oh poor you, Action. That is so sad. Wishing you all the strength and courage you need at this difficult time.
“Being extremely honest with oneself is a good exercise.” ~ Sigmund Freud

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 24 Jul 2015 11:09

Action - <:)> Wishing you lots of strength at this difficult time. <:)>

Mooths - well done for coming straight back here. Champers is hard to refuse, especially when it's flowing freely.

tj_okay

Post by tj_okay » 24 Jul 2015 15:25

hi folks,

pjgirl... i don't worry about being sick too much, was sick pretty much everyday when drinking... no babies on the ceiling ... yet . last day for you pyjama and you will have done a whole bloody week (::) hope the day goes easy on you.

hedgehog... was a shock and a damn temptation having that beer in my hand... but was also serendipity because i found the strengh to get rid,(first time i've ever poured alcohol anywhere other than down my throat) and i feel so empowered by that act

mooths... learning experience there.. i think the first couple of weeks it's pretty damn dangerous to go to a pub or party, well i know i wouldn't have been able to resist in a social setting

action... so sorry to hear about your dog. how lovely of you to adopt an older dog, i bet they have real difficulties finding homes for them. missy had a home those last years and sounds like she was very very loved. cut yourself some slack about the drinking, it's tough to lose a loved pet.

everyone... wishing you all a good day, strength and hope

was awake all night again so am going to bed now to read for a couple of hours then hopefully sleep at 7.30... my body surely has to collapse into unconsciousness at some point.

peace
tj

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 24 Jul 2015 16:42

Afternoon super peeps \:)/ \:)/

Hope all are coping on this Friday afternoon. You'll be so thankful you stayed sober tomorrow morning.

I'm just about to eat a not-so-healthy two pies, chips, peas, gravy and half a loaf of buttered bread. :shock: Better than 2 bottles of wine, copious amounts of crisps and a slide into hell. ;)?

Sending sober thoughts to us all.

Chiffon
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2016

Post by Chiffon » 24 Jul 2015 16:49

Just back from town. Was harder than I thought it would be, to walk past the off licence, especially with it being Friday, so you might find me clinging like a crazy thing, to the forum this weekend.

Hope you're all well x

PS Tj - When I couldn't eat, I found that I could keep down boiled water with sugar..and then hot chocolate made with water or cuppasoups. I wouldn't worry though, in a few days you'll be eating like crazy :)

Rose13
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2019

Post by Rose13 » 24 Jul 2015 18:01

Hey all,
Hope your all going ok? Keep going everyone! Your all going so well

sian
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2019

Post by sian » 24 Jul 2015 18:49

I've lost count of what day I'm on - I think it's day 5. I'm pretending it's Tuesday instead of Friday :D
I'm actually looking forward to a sober weekend for a change - another brisk 3 mile walk planned for the morning, followed by a bit of light studying.
Hope everyone is ok xxx
Not one drink no matter what

ChamomileTea
First Sober Date: 27 Dec 2017

Post by ChamomileTea » 24 Jul 2015 19:01

Aww Action. Big hugs. Like other have said, don't give yourself a hard time for slipping.

Tj_okay -- unfortunately I'm an old hand with hangover-related insomnia. I think in fact I probably could maybe get a couple of minutes of sweaty nightmarish sleep when I've had entirely sleepless nights, but at some point I decide it's just not worth it, and i'm much calmer just reading a book or watching TV.

My advice is just to, as you say, lapse into unconsciousness when it feels like the right thing to do. Last time I went through this thread and got sober, I ended up sleeping in the day for a while. Doesn't really matter -- sleep is sleep and if you can catch a bit it'll help. Until then, don't worry.

I actually slept ok last night. I stayed up until midnight working, so I was really tired! That's a rare and precious thing for me, being able to sleep before 3am.

Day 8 today so I'm tootling over to the tweekers thread! I'll be around though -- I'm a bit of a thread flitter. Thead butterfly :D
Good luck to everyone -- keep supporting each other, keep posting, cling like a crazy thing! I've not much planned this weekend so I'll be around if anyone wants some unhelpful chivvying in the right direction :mrgreen:

Xxxx

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man » 24 Jul 2015 19:45

Action <:)>

CT - well done (::)

Day 3.
Went to a shop earlier: bottle of red for my wife; protective goggles and folding saw for me (not cocktails, I promise - lots of gardening this weekend :D )

Best wishes to all ;)?
"Alcohol is the thief of time"
Steve

Sammie
Last Drink Date: 26 Oct 2018

Post by Sammie » 24 Jul 2015 21:37

Evening peeps, day 5 done and dusted ;)?

Am stuffed with Chinese, diet coke and loads of chocolate - feeling a little ill :oops: oh well, it got me through the night. Mad busy day at work but that's it for 3 whole weeks \:)/

Action, so sorry about your news <:)>

CT congrats on graduating (::) \:)/

Off for a nice early night, sweet dreams all <:)>
Every storm runs out of rain.

tj_okay

Post by tj_okay » 25 Jul 2015 03:58

hello everyone,
well here i am at ridiculous o clock ... on day 6 though i cheated a bit by sleeping most of yesterday.

chifffon... funny you should mention cupasoup... i had one yesterday which i am counting as a meal, so yesterday i had two meals... even though it was toast and a cupasoup better than nothing :D

sian... kinda good to lose track of days, i'm sometimes not sure how good an idea it is to count days though i find myself doing it.

CT ... yeah i tend to become even more nocturnal than i usually am when not drinking... you did a week... CONGRATULATIONS (::) (::) (::) you and pyjamagirl gonna be moving on... but we are catching ya up.... wait for us.

vertical man...no idea how you can be around booze and not drink it, hats off to you

sammie, sounds like a good night... better to be stuffed with lovely food than booze eh.

pjgirl... thanks... ive never tipped booze away before , though i did lie on here once and say i did.. i'd been drinking and once i start there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY i will tip booze away. again let me congratulate you and wait for us in two week challenge, we're coming :D

rose... hope you are doing okay

action... thinking of you <:)>

peace
tj