Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The First 7 Days

councilpop
First Sober Date: 31 Dec 2018

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by councilpop » 09 Aug 2015 13:01

We can do this Olive,
Want to do it,
Will do it.

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 09 Aug 2015 13:46

councilpop wrote:Hi Maypole
You sound just like i feel. I`m just back from the supermarket and kept away from the wine aisle. Well Done to you not succumbing to the wine, hard to do.
I really want to do this and sort myself out, i have so much good in my life, just seem to keep pressing that destruct button.
Tired of trying but got to keep trying.
One day hopefully that light bulb will go on.
Take Care
That really resonated cp. Well done on the wine aisle front! Sometimes I go shopping with my Dad and he wanders blithely down the booze aisle. He never buys anything, not got our problem, tis just a short cut to frozen fish. One day he asked: 'Why did you stick two fingers up at the vodka bottles?' 'Memories and heartfelt thanks for nothing!' It is hard to skip over certain places for sure and very well done for resisting. It will get easier in time but I know that right now it is a battle. A battle you are winning.

councilpop

Post by councilpop » 09 Aug 2015 14:01

Hi Jaxom
I sure wish i felt like i was winning the battle.....
You made me giggle at the thought of going down the booze aisle and sticking two fingers up, I will have to do that one day.
Just had a lovely healthy lunch and shown my teenage daughter how to cook it (slimming world crustless quiche). Nice to spend some quality time with her and without sinking a bottle of wine.
2 weeks gone of the 6 weeks holiday so i still have 4 weeks to work on 1. No booze 2. Lose weight 3. Do some exercise. Feeling a little more positive and it always helps coming on here.

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 09 Aug 2015 14:18

Hey CP, go on... I dare you! Walk down that aisle and do it! Just try not to giggle.

I know it feels like we are not winning but aagh! We are! I honestly believe that there is one difference between struggling and not and that is... seeing that we are winning. Show me somebody who binned it on Day 1 and never looked back. Oh, sure some people have come on here and blatted through the challenges in one go but they needed support through some dodgy times and they are the lucky few. Most of us have to keep on slogging away, waiting for... well, maybe a light bulb but to my mind a realisation that we are not a special case. If Joe Bloggs can do it then so can we. It does seem impossible for sure but... why not, hey? Blips and slips are just that. I ask you: if it is impossibly difficult then why are you here? The answer is not that you are embroiled in a fantasy of doing the impossible but that deep down you know you will win through. Go on... face that one down and release the power of the two-fingered salute!

Dave

councilpop

Post by councilpop » 09 Aug 2015 14:29

Jaxom... i like your way of thinking... today i am winning and next time i go down that aisle i will use some sign language but i can`t promise not to giggle... people may think i have been drinking, now wouldn`t that be ironic hehehehe!!!! :lol:

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 09 Aug 2015 15:01

Tee hee! I will be peeping round the end of the aisle, waiting to bop such loutish persons. Away with your digits!

Hey, bet you could not have predicted this conversation! Me off now for a jogging session. Have a peaceful afternoon <:)>

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 09 Aug 2015 15:35

Afternoon everyone. Hope you are all swatting the fairy if she's buzzing around. I've just made a big pot of chilli for the coming week. It looks very tomatoey without the usual glass half-glass drop of wine I put in. It was strange not to be slurping while I chopped and sizzled. But it's now done and already prepared for those days when I need to eat something quick, tasty, healthy and homemade. Better than chocolate or a burger. A good move, I think. I've got pitta bread to go with it - another quick fix. Yum.

Enjoy the rest of the day - relax, drink lots of fizzy water (with a slice!) and stay safe. \:)/
Breaking on through to the other side. \:)/

FindingMe
Last Drink Date: 25 May 2015

Post by FindingMe » 09 Aug 2015 15:40

Hi guys, day 2 here. Feel awful. Anxious, twitchy, hot and tired and all I keep thinking is how much I want a drink :( I won't succumb to it, but I feel like crap and it's gonna be a long night xx
Never give on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, the time will pass anyway x

Last drink date Monday the 5th of May 2014

councilpop

Post by councilpop » 09 Aug 2015 15:54

Hi FindingMe.....hang in there........As hedgehog says drink plenty of water.
Try and do something to take your mind off it..... Sleep, read, start a diary, shower/bath, a walk, watch tv, anything that works to see you through the day apart from you know what though. Tomorrow will be a better day. I too feel very restless today, though i am not craving a drink.... i am trying to force myself out for a dog walk.
Take Care and be kind to yourself.

Cheddar
Last Drink Date: 26 Dec 2016

Post by Cheddar » 09 Aug 2015 19:53

Day 2 done, but completely forgot about the insomnia ... 3 hours 45 mins till I have to get up and get ready for the night shift. Maybe 4 hours 15 mins with tactical use of the snooze button followed by a mad rush.

Hope you're all well and catch you tomorrow

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 09 Aug 2015 20:12

hi everyone, back on the 7 day challenge as of tomorrow 'cause i've had a beer today. docs put me on some new meds that i don't want to drink with so we'll see how it goes.
catch you all tomorrow for my day 1 (yet again)

peace
tj
Insert inspirational quote here....

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 09 Aug 2015 21:18

Day 1 and I can't get out ofbedfor depression, laziness, agoraphobia, anxiety, fear... Monday morning blues.

I really really hate my job, but if I don't perform... I.e. Draft reports I don't get paid. Stupid choosing to start my own business when I'm in the depths of depression.

Worst anxiety dreams and I've woken in a panic.

I drink to stop the panic and anxiety.

Sigh

olivegrey
Last Drink Date: 26 Mar 2016

Post by olivegrey » 09 Aug 2015 22:44

Hang in there Maypole. You know in your heart of hearts that the drink only makes the mood, panic and anxiety worse. I know my antidepressants are doing nothing if I'm drinking too much.

Councilpop, kath I hope you've got through day 1 ok. Rose, Cheddar, tjokay keep going. Day 1 done for me. Bedtime and doubtless crazeeeee dreams.

See you all tomorrow <:)>
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realise the strength, move on.

councilpop

Post by councilpop » 10 Aug 2015 08:14

Morning,
DAY 2

Maypole, i hope you are feeling a little better... sounds like you need a plan of action :!:
Quite a few of us here to support each other and i know i can`t do it without you guys, so let`s do this.
Hi to Kath, Olive, Cheddar, Tj, FindingMe, sorry if i have missed anyone.... one day at a time we can get through.
Have a good day.... i am out and about today though i don`t feel like it, i have managed to hide away a bit at the weekend which i needed to do for myself, but can`t hide forever. Out to see a friend this morning and staying at my fellas tonight, back home tomorrow (safe house).

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 10 Aug 2015 08:33

Morning 7-day commuters

As we all know these 7-days are tough. Quite like being on the London Underground at rush hour - sweaty, busy, stressful, smelly, depressing and panicky. The good news is it is only 7 days. When you get to day 8, you start to use overground trains and usually get to sit in business class - a vast improvement on the stinky Tube. So just 7 crapster days to get through before things start to get better for us.

Lets do it this time.

Day 6. :D
Breaking on through to the other side. \:)/

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 10 Aug 2015 08:39

I can't wobble. I'll stay at work til 7pmti get through

Rose13
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2019

Post by Rose13 » 10 Aug 2015 08:54

Hey Maypole, hope you are feeling a bit better today <:)>
had a couple of glasses of wine with lunch yesterday so back to day 1!! It's so embarrassing to not even get past day 3. My OH is back at work today do won't be drinking in the the evening do hopefully that will help me. This is my last shot so I going to try and make it my best one.
Well done hedgehog day 6 is really something to be proud of ! Keep going \:)/

Rainbow77
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2016

Post by Rainbow77 » 10 Aug 2015 09:05

Hi all
Well I did it yet again, got to day 4 then ruined it all. It was planned and I even bought the bottle of whiskey on Friday in readiness for Sunday to 'help me put up with the visitors'. In reality, I drank half of it Saturday night, woke up feeling terrible, drank most of the other half before they came and was surly and aggressive towards them for the rest of the afternoon, fuelled by more red and white wine.
I have 2 bottles hidden in the recycling bin now that will be taken tomorrow and I've promised myself they will be the last.
My partner must surely be more than suspicious now. We argued last night over my attitude, the way I speak to him and how I pass out at night. He said he spends all weekend 'dodging bullets' and I feel guilty that I'm obviously ruining his weekends.
Sitting at work feeling rotten. My work colleague has taken emergency leave so I've got to do all the work myself.
I have to go and look at another job this afternoon that I have an interview for on Friday and I look like crap.
There's a lot riding on this interview as well. I'm really worried about it and I know it's contributing to why I'm drinking more lately.
I also have a health test tomorrow that I'm dreading (lady stuff) and am waiting for a scan to date come through that I'm also dreading.
So today is the start of another attempt. I am off work tomorrow so will find it difficult not to drink tonight and I'm working from home on Wednesday so tomorrow night will be too.
I will be sticking here for the next 2 days to try and get through them and I hope with the support here I'll make it.
Not read all posts yet but have seen a few.
Well done Hedgehog on 6 days, that's amazing and means you've cracked a whole weekend. (::)
Maypole, I hope you are feeling a little better today. <:)>
Hi to everyone else. :\:
ED x
No matter how long you have travelled in the wrong direction you can always turn around
2016 challenge #47
Day 3

sweethope
Last Drink Date: 14 Aug 2016

Post by sweethope » 10 Aug 2015 10:01

Maypole I'm sorry I missed you last week, but great to see you here, keep posting and keep distracted, you deserve this <:)>

Hope it's a good week 7 dayers. Sending my love and strength <:)>
'Sobriety offers everything drinking destroys!'

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 10 Aug 2015 10:04

We can do this!!! Hedgey, Eliza, rose13, Jason, pickles, sweet hope, japs, vertical man, everyone ( I'm typing on my iPhone while on bus and so sorry not mentioning all you wonderful people),
Day 1 still and I feel like I've lived about to Day 4 at least in one day with how many emotions, nausea, swings of self loathing to friendliness to colleagues, to sheer terror in my work and loneliness, to hunger, sugar craving, back to nausea, depression, temporary contentment ( getting grey hair dyed at salon), to despair...
And it's not even 7.30pm here down under.
ElizaD, I really understand the secret drink stashes and binges, I live alone so don't really need to hide them but of the buzzer goes I go into sheer panic thinking I'll be discovered and hide full and empty bottles in drawers, cupboards, under bed, sofa... And rush to put deodorant on, brush teeth and put makeup on my nose to cover redness .... And sometimes I hide and do t even answer door.
So ridiculous but it's part and parcel of addiction.
Xxx