Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The First 7 Days

Maypole

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by Maypole » 11 Aug 2015 04:43

It's just after lunch on Day 2 and feel so overwhelmed and anxious and severely shaky and unhappy. Going to a kinesiologist after work to try to reset my TMJ jaw problems and stress and I'm going to discuss my alcohol problem too. So upsetting to be so out of control and anxious and crave alcohol so much.

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 11 Aug 2015 06:52

As LB says

"But if we keep trying then sobriety is possible, as so many on this board have shown.

This is the critical week so just keep posting, push away that first drink, and it's another day in the bag!"

Could'nt agree more LB
Stay strong and focused everyone, stick together, pull and push each other along-get his one in the bag
You can do it!
Sandy

kath
Last Drink Date: 21 Feb 2015
First Sober Date: 28 Jan 2017

Post by kath » 11 Aug 2015 07:47

Morning everyone :\:
Gosh there are a lot of us this week! I haven't got time to mention everyone. Will try and get back on later. But for now...
\:)/ hog congratulations on day 7 ;)?
Jonhnnyb thank you!
We can do this!! Everyone bring your A game out and just don't drink. Lots of food lots of water and distractions. Keep busy, full an hydrated.
Good luck, stay strong. You CAN do it!
Xx
one day or day one.

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 11 Aug 2015 07:52

Literally am a nervous wreck and just fell over and sprained my ankle... Trying to walk on it. I can't do this.i need anti anxiety medication

Rainbow77
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2016

Post by Rainbow77 » 11 Aug 2015 08:04

Morning. Day 2.
Thanks for that Olivegrey.
Maypole I hope your foot isn't too bad.
I'm off work today. Going for a horrible test soon & dreading it. Need to be strong & not buy whisky on the way back to comfort myself. If I do I'll sleep the day away when I need to be preparing for Friday's interview.
Hope you all enjoy your day.
ED x
No matter how long you have travelled in the wrong direction you can always turn around
2016 challenge #47
Day 3

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 11 Aug 2015 08:25

Hi maypole
Keep with us
The anxiety will pass
Keep reading and posting and drawing strength from the forum. That's what I do when anxiety strikes xx

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 11 Aug 2015 08:38

Morning brave peeps \:)/

Eliza - I hope the test goes as well as can be expected today. <:)>

Day 7.

Going back to the Tube analogy, I was thinking more about it yesterday. Ignore me if it's not your cup of tea. :D

This Tube journey only has 7 stops. However, at each stop there is a station bar. If we get off at any of these first 7 stops lured by the temptation of the goods on offer, we get back on at stop 1. Only when we complete all 7 stops, do we exit the underground into fresh(er) air outside. Each station bar has a unique set of tempting adverts. At around 3pm today, I'm about to slowly go past stop 7s particular advert. And that is:

'You've done a whole week, what's the problem? - it's HAPPY HOUR forever in this bar - come and GET HAPPY and take your fill!'

This is a tough stop and I'm going to have to look the other way, eat copious ginger biscuits, drink copious pints of fizzy water and go to bed if needed. But the promise of a stroll above ground on my way to the overground station where I get to travel business class (or even first class as it seems I'll be on my own in the tweekers for the next few days) is going to be foremost in my mind. The stink and taste of wine and the mess it will make me is what I MUST remember. Only a week ago I posted in the SOS thread in a drunken state. I don't want to go back there again.

Onwards and upwards peeps. Aim for the high ground. \:)/
Breaking on through to the other side. \:)/

councilpop
First Sober Date: 31 Dec 2018

Post by councilpop » 11 Aug 2015 08:52

Morning All

DAY 3

Managed to get through the day yesterday........... was anxious about going out to catch up with a friend but apart from my car breaking down (clutch cable snapped) luckily outside a garage............ it was very enjoyable. My fella picked me up and we had lunch out............ i drank diet coke :) .
Relaxed with some knitting......... knitting a baby set for a friend who is due beginning of Sep. Got an invitation for a secret baby shower for her on the 22nd so i will be kept busy knitting till then, so no time for drinking :D .
Going on a bike ride this morning and pick my car up later and then back to knitting......that`s my day sorted.
Have to say this week is going quickly and as yet not craved alcohol but it will happen.
Got to keep chugging on. Tomorrow a big day, daughter has a college interview and if all goes to plan we will be moving house to make the travelling easier so lots going on potentially.
Have a good Tuesday everyone.

Rose13
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2019

Post by Rose13 » 11 Aug 2015 10:33

Well done Hedge \:)/ I WILL see you on the two weeker!!
Day 2 and feeling super determined to stay AF.
Everyone on here sounding really determined and focused too. We CAN do it!
LB , so true the quote ' feels like my brain is trying to kill me' I do feel like that, particularly if I have a lot of work stress and emotional stuff going on! Feels like I lose control of my own mind !! I am now reprogramming my brain !!! I'm in charge!!

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 11 Aug 2015 10:55

Hedgey, you've come such a long way in a week... Very inspiring... And I love the tube analogy! I lived in London a decade ago and it sure was claustrophobic and plain stinky on those tubes.

Councilpop, keep that knitting up, good for the left and brain or whatever that stuff is for keeping distracted and not merely passive like watching TV. Interesting re your car calamity because I literally just did the same thing with my mode of transportation... My left foot... Walked off the gutter into a hole and completely twisted it and fellover dropping purse and folders... And I did indirectly in front of the kinesiologists office!

So I've spent 90 minutes having a session with a bandage as he did the energy muscle stuff on me. Then hobbled home to ice pack, elevation, re-bandage and bed. Drastic way not to stop via bottle shop to get through Day 2. Wish I could say unscathed. He did say I was drastically dehydrated too.

You're sounding great Rose13! You are in charge! You're brilliant and strong and reprogramming!

ElizaD, how are you going buddy? I'm really hoping your test is okay, thinking of you. You know that whiskey won't really soothe the stress but do whatever you need to cope with whatever big stress this test is about. Do you have a bicycle or roller Skates? I recommend breaking them outside the place where the test is.... Really worked for Councilpop and I to distract us from the evil alcohol fairy.

Clovis, thank you. The anxiety has passed now, I went into adrenalin shock when I was sure I had broken my foot... So it's amazing the release after that.... Still don't know how much damage I've done.

Greetings wonderful Sandy, OliveGrey, Kath, jaxom, LooseBanana, ginade and everyone else xxx

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 11 Aug 2015 15:43

Afternoon peeps \:)/

The Tube is just crawling through stop 7 as I type. And it's crawling so slowly, you wouldn't think it was actually moving. I'm going to stuff my face with ginger biscuits and earl grey tea. I've also got one of those splodgy paint guns that I'm going to spray all over the windows of the station bar that is shouting HAPPY HOUR at me. It is not happy hour, it is MISERY HOURS ON END if I get off this train.

Stay strong everyone. ;)?

Rose13

Post by Rose13 » 11 Aug 2015 18:46

Feeling down :(
I was feeling good this morning and now I am down! My son was playing up all day and I ended up constantly shouting at him . Then my OH came home and we argued . He has gone out thank goodness. He thinks I am useless and he's probably right. I've been trying to run a small business from home but it's very difficult when I have our child to look after and I also have another part time job , 3 days a week. I don't make much money from my business and my OH keeps reminding me of that. It really hurts as I have put so much effort into it and it is growing slowly. We are supposed to be moving into a new house soon and I am not even sure if I want to anymore. I swing between thinking a fresh start is just what we need to what am I doing I would be better off on my own!! I know I need a clear head to work this one out so will not be drinking!!!
Off to make a nice brew and watch some telly

Rose13

Post by Rose13 » 11 Aug 2015 18:47

Oh and sorry for the down beat post!
I hope you are all feeling ok?

sian
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2019

Post by sian » 11 Aug 2015 18:55

Day 2.
I'm feeling down and irritable today too Rose! Work is stupidly stressful and demanding and I just feel that I have no space in my head for my own thoughts or any time out to relax and sort myself out. It all makes me want to drink, but I won't - going to sort out some annual leave from work I think.
Hope everyone is ok xx
Not one drink no matter what

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » 11 Aug 2015 19:47

Rose and Sian <:)> <:)> sorry to hear you both have the blues.

The tube has passed stop 7 - and I managed to stay on the train, so I'm off to the tweekers tomorrow. (::)

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 11 Aug 2015 19:56

did day one,on day two
good luck everyone

peace
tj
Insert inspirational quote here....

sian
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2019

Post by sian » 11 Aug 2015 20:18

Well done Hedgehog! (::)
Not one drink no matter what

Rainbow77
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2016

Post by Rainbow77 » 11 Aug 2015 20:28

Hi
Thank you Hedge, the test went ok but been in a fair bit of pain afterwards. Well done on your 7 days, that's amazing (::)
Hi Maypole, thank you. Hope you are feeling a little better. Unfortunately I don't have a bike or skates or I might have tried that! Managed to avoid the whisky even though I had to brave the shop. Talked my partner out of having red wine with dinner so pretty safe now.
Rose, Sian, Clovis, Councilpop, Kath, everyone else <:)>
No matter how long you have travelled in the wrong direction you can always turn around
2016 challenge #47
Day 3

olivegrey
Last Drink Date: 26 Mar 2016

Post by olivegrey » 11 Aug 2015 21:13

Well done Eliza D. Glad the test went ok and so impressed you dodged the whisky even though you had to go into the shop! That is brilliant.

On day 3 here and feeling a bit flat. Hi to all. Keep going x
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realise the strength, move on.

Rose13

Post by Rose13 » 11 Aug 2015 21:35

Well done Hedge \:)/ keep up the good work ;)?
Hope your pain has eased Eliza <:)>
I know how you feel Sian, if there is too much going on it can be overwhelming ! I just want to lie on a beach and listen to the waves , ahh chance be s fine thing! I have booked a yoga class tomorrow, hoping it will help me relax and take me away from temptation by keeping busy.i am feeling a bit better as I went to bed early and more relaxed now. Haven't thought about booze either which is good.