Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The First 7 Days

olivegrey
Last Drink Date: 26 Mar 2016

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by olivegrey » 12 Aug 2015 19:31

Hi guys. I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as you, Cheddar and Maypole. These stupid permission thoughts are killers and as I said before I fear my brain is out to get me! I've already had a bottle of wine tonight and no dinner yet. I'm so sorry for letting the 7 day troop down. I sometimes feel like this is an impossible task but I suppose if I really felt that I wouldn't be here!

Keep going all those that have, so proud of you.

Olive x
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realise the strength, move on.

tj_okay
Last Drink Date: 25 Dec 2017

Post by tj_okay » 12 Aug 2015 21:44

day 3 done, side effect of new meds means i'm sleeping 18 hours a day so i feel a bit like i'm cheating. good really 'cause usual side effect of stopping drinking is being unable to sleep. hope you all are okay. sorry for short posts, problems concentrating.
peace
tj
Insert inspirational quote here....

Rose13
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2019

Post by Rose13 » 12 Aug 2015 22:12

Don't worry Olive, stay on this thread!! <:)>
Sian yes felt loads better today! Was out all day and then went straight to yoga, so didn't have time to think about a drink. Only just back and hopped into bed to watch tV.
I am going to have to prepare for the weekend tho as I have a poss night out with girls on sat night. I need to avoid this really but not sure if I can without sounding rude. Bit stuck on this one!
Night all
X

Maypole

Post by Maypole » 12 Aug 2015 22:55

Olive grey and Cheddar! Gosh maybe it was a full moon or something. I can't believe we all felt such overwhelming cravings on same day ... We can start again.

I'm so absolutely angry this morning, with myself, with my life.... My foot, my career, my lifestyle. I just can't do it. I'm having s major panic attack again. I just want to quit my life...my job, move away, start fresh... But I know deep down its all inside. All the issues and the drinking and procrastination and self hatred is inside. I'm nothing.

ginade
Last Drink Date: 08 Aug 2015

Post by ginade » 13 Aug 2015 00:14

Hi everyone day 4 and going strong ! Thankyou councilpop and maypole hope your ankle gets better soon I think I too would have folded with a broken ankle stay strong we are all with you well done Kath I feel good too the depression seems to have lifted plus going for a jog after work as helped ! so many amazing like minded people on here stay strong everyone and keep posting that's what gives us all hope x

ginade
Last Drink Date: 08 Aug 2015

Post by ginade » 13 Aug 2015 00:18

olive don't be sorry just don't give up you can do it when you are ready !!

silverado
Last Drink Date: 16 Apr 2015

Post by silverado » 13 Aug 2015 04:15

Hey there to all here on the 7 day challenge. I was just passing by thought I'd stop by for a moment or two. I was here myself 108 days ago. This is the hardest and most challenging part on the path to sobriety. It does get better though if you can make it through the first 2 weeks. By then your system will have purged it's self of the poison.
I would urge anyone here that has been over indulging or binging for a long time, to seek help from your doctor so he can help you with the anxiety you will experience. Quitting suddenly can kill you if you've been a heavy drinker as I was for a long time. A couple of you here know my history but for those that don't, I drank heavy 7 days a week for almost 40 years. I'm an ex biker that led a rough lifestyle. I'm an ex biker because of the abuse I put my body through. I can no longer ride a motorcycle any longer because of neuropathy in my feet. That's just one of many health issues I face due to drinking. Alcohol is a poison that can take control of your mind and body. You have to take that control back and it ain't easy but you can do it because I did. Keep your health at the forefront of the reasons to quit.
Good luck to all of you and if you fail at first just keep trying until you either take your control back or quit altogether. You won't regret it I'm living proof of that.

Kath, I'm glad to see you continue to have a goal. Please stay in touch with us PG'rs. You've become a friend that I enjoy chatting with and sharing our stories and lives. Don't ever give up the fight.

Maypole, Please don't see yourself as being nothing. Your a fellow human being that life has just dumped a load of crap on. You're battling yourself when the battle should be focused on fighting to improve your life and alcohol will only make things worse. No matter if you quit your job, move and start over the addiction goes with you and there will be alcohol available no matter where you go. Take control of your life, you're letting life control you. Do as I did and go to your doctor and explain what's going on and he can help you through this. My doc gave me valium which really helped with the anxiety and the shakes. Focus on the positives not the negatives in your life. It's not easy but you can do it. Believe in yourself and set some doable goals. Start slow and work a little harder at it each day. I wish you well and will keep you in my thoughts and visit us on the Personal goals thread as much as you can. There's a lot of people just like you that have gone through the same things you're having to deal with. There are many that stand with you so you're not alone in this battle. Take care and be strong.

Pickles and Newt, It's great to see you both here to offer your advice and encouragement. I personally appreciate your support and positive comments since I quit. Thank You ;)

forerunner406

Post by forerunner406 » 13 Aug 2015 06:15

Day 4
Its been far too long since a day 4
Met mate at pub yest had water went home
Nobody forces us to drink but the drinking will push us to keep drinking
So I just dont drink at all I have no control over it and do not want anything that is s sure shot to depression having control over me
I hate it the hate gives me clarity . sick and tired of the ground hog day
work all week to look forward to the weekend and achieve nothing except facing a horrendous Monday and the world is a dark place
life isnt a bed of roses but it sure as shit is easier to manage without pushing drink and drugs into my system
what do i even expect out of all of it? a temp escape then face the horror and guilt
Oh and the money spent the hundreds a month - stuck on -0. The worst is IS THIS MY LIFE ?and for how long until the shit hits the fan in one way of the other. Theres more to life than drinking its called ANY OTHER LIFE.

Thanks for being here BE

FR
You don't need to be great to make a start just need to make a start at being great.

sweethope
Last Drink Date: 14 Aug 2016

Post by sweethope » 13 Aug 2015 07:21

7 dayers just popped in quickly to highlight an article CJ posted on the RTA thread. Thanks again CJ ;)?

Maypole the paragraph below jumped out at me, you are not nothing, it's the alcohol that is nothing!! Demon poision god I hate the stuff.

Surprisingly, I gradually came to acknowledge the unthinkable – I actually liked being a non-drinker. I was different without alcohol. I wasn’t a bad person who hated her own reflection and woke in the middle of the night being eaten alive by regrets and shame. I felt as though I’d discovered a magic solution to all that had been wrong with my life, and it was so simple: just don’t drink alcohol. Four and a half years later and I find it remarkable that I spent more than 20 years of my life getting drunk, as these days I don’t miss a single thing about it.

Keep strong everyone <:)>
'Sobriety offers everything drinking destroys!'

kath
Last Drink Date: 21 Feb 2015
First Sober Date: 28 Jan 2017

Post by kath » 13 Aug 2015 07:33

Great post FR. ;)?

Well it would seem I was a bit too cock sure of myself yesterday. I ended up drinking. I'm leaving the 7day thread for now. I've drank twice in 17 days so it is still a great achievement for me.
Good luck to all xx
one day or day one.

kath
Last Drink Date: 21 Feb 2015
First Sober Date: 28 Jan 2017

Post by kath » 13 Aug 2015 07:40

Ps sorry silver I missed your post. Thank you for your support! It means a lot to me.
one day or day one.

forerunner406

Post by forerunner406 » 13 Aug 2015 07:59

kath wrote:Great post FR. ;)?

Well it would seem I was a bit too cock sure of myself yesterday. I ended up drinking. I'm leaving the 7day thread for now. I've drank twice in 17 days so it is still a great achievement for me.
Good luck to all xx

Great achievment Kath. We all know twice in 17days is not drinking. Thats where i am trying to get too. Be very proud and stay healthy

FR :\:
You don't need to be great to make a start just need to make a start at being great.

gonegirl

Post by gonegirl » 13 Aug 2015 09:02

HI ALL

Just joined the site feeling pretty low at the moment hopefully will get back to day one tomorrow after drinking again and letting everyone down.

Rose13

Post by Rose13 » 13 Aug 2015 09:38

Morning all :\:
It's day 4 and it's been a long time since a day 4 for me to forerunner . Feels good huh!

Silverado - great post thank you for sharing!
I do remember that turning point at 2 weeks!! Where not drinking becomes a habit rather than drinking and being able to go for a couple of days without even thinking about having one!
I want to be there again!
All those feeling down <:)> we can do this and we will feel better soon. I have days too when I don't want to be me anymore and hate myself and I have terrible mood swings.
Whoever said day 3/4 was a turning point too was right

olivegrey
Last Drink Date: 26 Mar 2016

Post by olivegrey » 13 Aug 2015 12:53

Hi gonegirl and welcome. I hope you find the site as helpful and supportive as I have (even though my sobriety waxes and wanes). There's a lot of really good people here. <:)> <:)>
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realise the strength, move on.

Rose13

Post by Rose13 » 13 Aug 2015 13:28

Welcome gonegirl :\:
Keep posting when you feel down or feeling like a drink, it really helps and there is always someone about to talk to. Hope you feel betters soon <:)>

Rainbow77
Last Drink Date: 29 Aug 2016

Post by Rainbow77 » 13 Aug 2015 13:29

Day 4, flying visit.
Very busy and prepping for interview tomorrow in between.
Good luck and well done to all
ED x
No matter how long you have travelled in the wrong direction you can always turn around
2016 challenge #47
Day 3

Rose13

Post by Rose13 » 13 Aug 2015 14:48

Good luck with interview ED

gonegirl

Post by gonegirl » 13 Aug 2015 16:47

Thanks for the kind words. Starting to feel a little better but still anxiety ridden. I have had a small amount to drink today so I can abstain tomorrow and start this process all over again. Feel fed up and I am struggling with everything and I know it is because of the drink but I am not going to let this kill me.

Grace77
Last Drink Date: 18 Aug 2015

Post by Grace77 » 13 Aug 2015 17:33

Day 2.

I recently made it to 4 weeks before my holiday, but will power gave out. Won't go into it but managed to drink reasonably moderately throughout holiday, but then a night out on Tuesday ended up with me falling on my head!

Last two days completely lost to deathly hangover, now kids due back tomorrow from their dad's.

Time for me yet again to get it into my head that drinking is not for me.

Take care everyone x