The First 7 Days

Smithster
Last Drink Date: 20 Sep 2020
First Sober Date: 21 Sep 2020

Re: The First 7 Days

Post by Smithster »

Helsbels wrote:
10 Apr 2021 10:09
Hi, well I am on day 4 for the first time in probably 5 years and I am feeling so relieved 😌 I honestly didn’t think I could achieve this, never mind say it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be although I know it is very early days. My resolve is still very strong at the moment as a result of the conversation I had with my doctor, so I should thank him for that. I am ashamed to say that it was more my pride than my health which prompted this decision which is madness.
Things I have noticed so far are I am much more alert when I wake up and my eyes do not seem so puffy and weighted. I am however exhausted and struggle to get to sleep for hours which does makes me anxious. I have tried all the usual good sleep practices but even after working a 14 hour shift and being shattered it took me three hours to doze off. Please tell me this improves?!!! I am going to try and keep myself busy today especially around my 5 o’clock witching hour and hope that I stay strong. Have a good weekend everybody I am so happy to have found this site it is helping me stay focussed and positive that I can overcome my addiction to wine.
I'm over 6 months in and trust me sleep does get better. It is awful at first but you have to stick with it and after a few weeks or so you will be sleeping better.

I still get anxcious I won't sleep and stay up on purpose, but when I do go to bed I'm out in minutes! So it's just a habit thing.

One thing I have noticed is that the brain clarity does seem to get cranked up every 4-6 weeks so just stick with it.

Stick with it and just try to white knuckle the tough times. The tough times of wanting to drink are far outweighed by the positives. It's just the brain sometimes doesn't tell you that!

4 days is great (::) . Get a few weekends out of the way and it get's easier.

Stick with it. ;)?

Helsbels
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2021
First Sober Date: 07 Apr 2021

Post by Helsbels »

Thank you 😊 Is having a headache normal as well? Not sure whether it’s to do with abstinence or having my second vaccination ! Wish I could fast forward a few weeks but I guess years of toll on the body are not going to be resolved over night! I’m just impatient😂 Really hoping the weight is going to fall off as well... so much to look forward to providing I keep my will power 🙏🏼💪🏻 Helen

Johnnyb
Last Drink Date: 06 Feb 2021
First Sober Date: 07 Feb 2021

Post by Johnnyb »

Day 3. 10 hours sleep last night so pleased with that. There is a lot of success on the 7 day thread at present. Well done.
YOU NEVER STOP FAILING UNTIL YOU STOP TRYING ----- Albert Einstein

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Helsbels wrote:
10 Apr 2021 11:43
Thank you 😊 Is having a headache normal as well? Not sure whether it’s to do with abstinence or having my second vaccination ! Wish I could fast forward a few weeks but I guess years of toll on the body are not going to be resolved over night! I’m just impatient😂 Really hoping the weight is going to fall off as well... so much to look forward to providing I keep my will power 🙏🏼💪🏻 Helen
Yes, I had headaches for a while with brain fog and fatigue.

The headaches did go after a few weeks when the sleep improved, but the brain fog and fatigue did take a little longer.

You are right though, it takes a long time to mess up the brain chemistry with alcohol (dependant on how much and how long), so it stands to reason it will take more than a few weeks to repair it. I guess it's a bit like putting weight on. You don't put it on overnight, so it takes a similar time to lose it!

Stick the distance, the rewards are worth it. ;)?

Helsbels

Post by Helsbels »

Thanks Smithster!
already the rewards are worth it! Day 5 and I have woken up feeling brighter, no headache ( so far!) and my eyes don’t feel sunken and ache. Just wish falling asleep didn’t take so long, but hopefully that will improve. Have a lovely day. H😋

Helsbels

Post by Helsbels »

Johnnyb wrote:
10 Apr 2021 12:43
Day 3. 10 hours sleep last night so pleased with that. There is a lot of success on the 7 day thread at present. Well done.

Helsbels

Post by Helsbels »

The support is great isn’t it. It has enabled me to harness my strength to go AF for the first time in about 5 years. Extra bonus is my husband is doing it with me too and he is transforming before my eyes! Praying we maintain the willpower to keep this up!🙏🏼🤞🏻💪🏻

Johnnyb

Post by Johnnyb »

Day 5 today, forgot to post yesterday. This is we’re I find my excuses! I’m a 5 off, 2 drinking, or 4 off, 3 drinking lately. Some may say, well that’s ok, but I’m coming from 1 litre of vodka a day most days, 6/7 years ago, it was bad times, hell really when I look back. I’m not going back there. Anyway, I want to lose weight also and I can already see my belly going down, not the beach body I want yet, I’m determined to get there and that must exclude drink!

tonic
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2016

Post by tonic »

DAY 1! :?

tonic
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2016

Post by tonic »

Day 1! :? Probably not the wisest day to start seeing as everyone is going back into pubs! But needs must.

Have a good day everyone..

T

sambo

Post by sambo »

Johnnyb wrote:
12 Apr 2021 11:05
Day 5 today, forgot to post yesterday. This is we’re I find my excuses! I’m a 5 off, 2 drinking, or 4 off, 3 drinking lately. Some may say, well that’s ok, but I’m coming from 1 litre of vodka a day most days, 6/7 years ago, it was bad times, hell really when I look back. I’m not going back there. Anyway, I want to lose weight also and I can already see my belly going down, not the beach body I want yet, I’m determined to get there and that must exclude drink!
Keep it up Jonnyb, 5days off when you have been drinking that much is great, I have been drinking similar amounts and your so right it's hell! I'm only 10days in so have no wise words or anything just that I feel so much better already.

Also want to lose weight, put so much on sitting about drinking over lockdown, joined back at the gym today ain't looking forward to starting again but needs to be done.

Stay strong

Musty

Post by Musty »

Hi all

A quick wave from the next thread :\: looking forward to you joining us. Hang in there tonic.
It gets so much better after a week under your belt .... I try to remember ‘that no one wakes up glad they had drunk the night before ‘ .

Johnnyb

Post by Johnnyb »

Day 7. Busy day yesterday and forgot to post. Woke up with a headache this morning, i understand this, it always happens to me at this stage, its like im toxin resistant when im drinking, but when my body gets to rebalancing, its easily upset. Breakfast and tea and headache gone, happy days, feeling good. Good going Sambo, keep it up.

Smithster

Post by Smithster »

Johnnyb wrote:
14 Apr 2021 09:09
Day 7. Busy day yesterday and forgot to post. Woke up with a headache this morning, i understand this, it always happens to me at this stage, its like im toxin resistant when im drinking, but when my body gets to rebalancing, its easily upset. Breakfast and tea and headache gone, happy days, feeling good. Good going Sambo, keep it up.
I think we forget how crap we felt when drinking because we drank straight through it. Mad as it sounds, how many times have you forced yourself to drink just to feel better!

Keep up the good fight fella and get out on the bike.

Johnnyb

Post by Johnnyb »

7 days sorted. Good luck everyone.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've been here before 3 weeks ago. Back to day one but will keep trying.

Winnie 42

Post by Winnie 42 »

Here I am - back again like a bad penny!!
Starting day one! I'll check in again at bedtime (After Line of Duty of course!! ).

Hello Woodstock - let's do this thing together!! (::)

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Smithster wrote:
14 Apr 2021 11:38
Mad as it sounds, how many times have you forced yourself to drink just to feel better!
Too many too mention Smithster. Drinking to feel "normal" again is ... well ... not normal.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

moo
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2020

Post by moo »

Well done on your 7 days Cowboy ;)?
here I am again.... the best place to be

Winnie 42

Post by Winnie 42 »

Mother of God - Line of Duty is too stressful sober!! :lol2:

Day one done (::)