Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Two Week Challenge

jassy
Last Drink Date: 20 Nov 2015

Re: Two Week Challenge

Post by jassy » 05 Dec 2015 15:54

Thank you olive and cowboy, I didn't know whether to post that but decided the whole reason I'm here is to get myself off alcohol and not telling the truth is just lying to myself. I'm drinking hot chocolate and loads of water. I suppose it has taught me a lesson. Back to alcohol free now. Well done cowboy X X

ChamomileTea
First Sober Date: 27 Dec 2017

Post by ChamomileTea » 05 Dec 2015 18:04

It's always good to tell the truth on here jassy. Sometimes I'm not honest with my family and friends about drinking, just because I'm sick of letting them down -- but I'm always honest on here and people have always been great!!

I hope you feel better soon.

I'm bored at the airport. Figured I have an hour of free airport wifi so I'm come and say no to my BE friends.

Soooo looking forward to getting home. I am actually excited about MY bed, MY sofa, MY freedom and peace and quiet.

Proud of myself for once too -- stayed sober the whole time -- not even one little drink. And so, did well at the work side of things. We can do this!!

Gonna go back to my kindle now. Glad it has a super long battery life...

Xx

Elizabeth41
Last Drink Date: 17 Dec 2015

Post by Elizabeth41 » 06 Dec 2015 10:10

Hi everyone

I was going to drink at a dinner party today but when I drink with this friend it ends in disaster on my part :oops:
She expects me to bring a bottle of chardonnay for her and my own pino. I shall be arriving empty handed and leaving clear headed.

Hi again CT cowboy and everyone here.

Lots to look forward to! positive thoughts.
I have a date for a scan to check my ovarian cyst found after a scare. Not ovarian cancer thank god. my ca125 blood was high.
Being made redundant on dec 9th but landed a new job on 10th!

Happy days without alcohol :D
I drink myself to a place where I don't care but wake up a person who cares enormously :oops:

jassy

Post by jassy » 06 Dec 2015 11:55

Thank you chamomile, I do value the support here, and well done for sitting in an airport without a drink. That must be the ultimate test.
Elizabeth, I admire your strength. I've not yet come across a social situation where I have to refuse to drink, so that will be a challenge for me over the coming weeks.

Thomasina

Post by Thomasina » 06 Dec 2015 12:00

Hi Tweekers,

Just dropped by to give you all a rousing cheer \:)/
I'm at Day 36 and can tell you that it does become easier.
This is me speaking after 20+ years of struggling.

You will have times when you will seriously wibble....the "I'll just have a couple" is a no-brainer.
If you could make do with 'just a couple'....like me, you wouldn't be on here :roll:
Its taken me a long time to realise that 'just a couple' doesn't exist in my Alcohol Brain.

To my astonishment....and also to yours I hope when you're a little further down the sober road -
my Alcohol Brain is beginning to take a severe beating.
Its becoming ever more silent...
Its not telling me that having a drink will be a great idea...
My Sober Brain is broadcasting much better info - such as, I didn't actually like the taste of wine/lager that much.
It was purely the 'effect' I was seeking thinking it would help but it only hindered.
My main trigger was anxiety.
Now I have my Sober Brain fighting my corner - my anxiety levels are lower than I can ever remember.
My thinking is clear....I don't want to dumb down/rev up that clarity with alcohol.
This is from someone who has been battling with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for 20+ years.
I've had a few Bright Eye online counselling sessions to help with the PTSD/alcohol - they have been brilliant
as have everyone on these threads from 'The First 7 Days' onwards.

Jassy - you are still here so \:)/ to you and please keep on, keeping on....it is SO worth it.
Olivegrey, Cowboy, Elizabeth4, Chamomile Tea, Iraquois - great that you're here and hope to see you around
and that I haven't missed anyone ....Tx

Top Tip....
When I've really been a bit wibbly - I've headed back to the First 7 Days thread and read how awful the guys in there
can be feeling - especially if they've had to start all over again after a blip.
It helps make you realise how far you've come, how good it feels and how hard it would be if you had to go back there.
Dropping those guys a few lines of cheer and encouragement would be much appreciated as a bonus too....T x

Elizabeth41

Post by Elizabeth41 » 06 Dec 2015 12:44

Thomasina and jassy hello <:)>

I'm off to my dinner party. Can't wait to see the look on my mate's face when I arrive without her chardonnay. I'm taking a bottle of schloer :lol: I used to say back in 2011/12 when I first joined BE it was my tipple.

Hubby want's to get back to watch the football so we can't stay long.

Enjoy sunday \:)/
I drink myself to a place where I don't care but wake up a person who cares enormously :oops:

ChamomileTea

Post by ChamomileTea » 06 Dec 2015 16:10

Hey everyone. I'm feeling wobbly. I survived the trip, but forgot that it takes a while for me to get over such things.

I felt about this ill last time, and last time I had alcohol to blame!!

The worst thing is that I have beers in the house from my last drinking thing (about 3 weeks ago). I ended up with loads left over, so I shoved it in a cupboard. So it's just there for the taking.

I guess I want to drink because I just want a blank slate to start over from, and I've got all this residual stress and stuff and genuine illness (I look VERY sick and feel almost as bad). IF I drank then at least I'd know how to recover from it, done that enough times.

Anyway. I know these are the times that I'm really tested -- when I'm low and vulnerable and feeling crappy and have pretty much no defences.

It's good to look at the 7 day thread and thing "arrrgh how awful" -- but it's also good to remember that the lows don't last forever. I won't feel like hell for a week from this trip (I don't think)... just for a little while.

I think I'm going to have a nap. NOt a curl up on the sofa nap, a proper go to bed nap! Maybe that will help. If not, maybe I'll have some more energy to do something distracting. I'm going to keep trying, keep trying different things and hope that something makes me feel a bit better.

I don't want to phone anyone and talk about it cos I'll get a massive unspoken "I KNEW IT" that I couldn't cope with another business trip.

Don't know why I'm crying. Just so drained and empty from being surrounded by people constantly for 3 days straight.

Ugh.

Hope to be back with some good news.

olivegrey
Last Drink Date: 26 Mar 2016

Post by olivegrey » 06 Dec 2015 16:38

Hang in there CT <:)> A big well done on managing the trip AF!! Not an easy task I know. Take the nap and recharge.
ChamomileTea wrote: IF I drank then at least I'd know how to recover from it, done that enough times.
I know that feeling all to well. Don't let it turn into a strong permission thought to drink, all too easy -" I feel crappy so I may as well give myself a reason"

Stay strong and be proud of ignoring the beers, continue to ignore them.

Good luck to everyone, lets all get to the threekers! (::)
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realise the strength, move on.

Elizabeth41

Post by Elizabeth41 » 06 Dec 2015 17:08

CT <:)> hope you are enjoying your nap.

Home from lunch at mates. I told her I'm not drinking. She said 'but I don't have any soft drinks. I pulled mine out of my bag :lol: my schloer tastes good. lovely meal but my mate couldn't wait until I left to drink-she opened a bottle of wine in front of me. I just pretended my schloer was wine lol.

Wrapping presents now (usually have a few beers whilst wrapping :cry: )

Elizabeth41

Post by Elizabeth41 » 06 Dec 2015 21:57

Wow. I did very well today! AF lunch then some friends called in this evening with a bottle of wine for me and drinks for them. I drank coke all evening! They said they thought I'd drink with them. Then a neighbour called in. She had wine I had tea.

Yay! I'm a good girl (::)

jassy

Post by jassy » 08 Dec 2015 09:58

Well done Elizabeth, I was considering saying no to a get together with friends, but I'm going to go for it and just say no to the alcohol. Hoping I get through it as well as you did..
Hoop you're feeling rested now CT.
I'm going to count my blip as a learning experience and move on to three weekers tomorrow, it's been seventeen days now so I think I'm ready to go for it. See you all there X x

Elizabeth41

Post by Elizabeth41 » 08 Dec 2015 22:30

Hello

Day 10. I might stay in the 7 day. I'm goin out at lunch tomorrow. Probably will stay off the booze but meeting a friend for dinner and drinks after work. It will have been an emotional day at work. I'm thinking of having 2 drinks.

jassy

Post by jassy » 10 Dec 2015 09:19

How did it go last night Elizabeth, I think I could do a couple of drinks when I'm out, as I've always managed ok, it's just at home that I can't put the brakes on.

ChamomileTea

Post by ChamomileTea » 14 Dec 2015 23:23

Looking at the last few posts, I think I might well be on my own in here!!

Hopefully some people will come join me from the 7 day thread, or pop in from elsewhere.

I can't help but feel a bit demotivated at the moment. I don't ever want to be a DRINKER drinker again, passing out and waking up just to crawl back to whatever vodka bottle has some left. Not exaggerating. Though I never crawled, I staggered.

BUUUT it's the holiday season, work Christmas meal out on Thursday, then Christmas and all that. No plans for new year, so it sure is tempting to say "social drinking is ok until after Christmas, then I'll stop drinking, lose weight, get fit". So funny -- and I'm so serious!!

I'd be in much more trouble if I could eat and drink at the same time. I really can't though -- as soon as alcohol is in me, the last thing I want to do is diminish its effects with pesky food. And when I'm stuffed full of food, I rarely want to drink. Christmas is difficult because there are all the bits in between where someone offers you a glass of champagne or mulled wine or port or sherry.

Meh. I don't feel very determined at the moment. I feel really weird today... totally lackadaisical about things. I think it's because I've been so ill and had so little sleep. It's a welcome rest from my usual highly strung state. But yeah, being "meh. whatever" about alcohol is NOT GOOD.

Sarah12
Last Drink Date: 11 Jan 2016

Post by Sarah12 » 15 Dec 2015 17:34

Well done CT for getting there!! Keep it up girl. Don't throw in the towel now.

Of course one drink woukd be entirely acceptable, unless you're an alcoholic when one wont be enough and you stagger back for more vodka.

you are already in a better state than you would have been 2weeks ago. I bet the scales may even say something too.

Perhaps i can join you on this thread soon!!xx
The ONLY thing that stands in our way of sobriety, is ourselves.

Gizmo1314

Post by Gizmo1314 » 15 Dec 2015 18:21

Hey CT, don't want you left in here on your own, sorry to hear you had a wee lapse :(

Past 7 days though so that's excellent. Christmas is gonna be a tough time for us all that's for sure !! Hang in there <:)> <:)>

---Gizmo---

ChamomileTea

Post by ChamomileTea » 15 Dec 2015 20:03

Thanks Sarah and Gizmo! Lovely to have a bit of a welcome, even if this thread is empty. I understand why it's empty -- getting over that 7 days hump is really difficult the first few times around.

I'm not such an alcoholic that I go to pieces having had one drink. My problem is more that sometimes I don't plan to have any drinks, but then somehow let my brain pressure me into having one. And giving in under those circumstances opens the door for more.

Turns out the work Christmas thing is on Friday, not Thursday. So I guess there will be quite a lot of drinking. I don't have a plan yet -- I've not been doing too well mentally recently, so a drinking session, even one curbed by other people being around, is not a great idea.

I actually find that everything else aside, the main reason that I don't want to drink is that I don't want a hangover. Does anyone else get SERIOUSLY bad hangovers? I spend all the next day shaking and puking, then don't sleep properly for a week. From one night. Yeah, I'm probably not going to drink on Friday!

Thanks again for the welcome, it was really nice to read. I hope you join me soon Sarah!

LBNS
Last Drink Date: 01 Feb 2020
First Sober Date: 02 Feb 2020

Post by LBNS » 15 Dec 2015 21:40

Hi Chamomile Tea, Gizmo. and Sarah :\:
I'm on day 10, have spent a bit of time in the 7 day thread, but seem to have skipped over to the two weeker without giving it much thought, I'm hoping that's a good sign :shock:
Chamomile - I am with you on the hangovers thing, and from my perspective I would imagine that is the commonest reason for not wanting to drink. It is for me anyhow. The last time I drank, I didn't feel that bad on the night, but, as you say, i spent the whole next day until about 5 pm feeling so ill, I couldn't even keep a drink of water down. The sleep pattern is disturbed, etc, etc. If I could have a drink and not get hangovers I probably wouldn't be wanting to give up, and I don't think many other people would either. But in reality I think it is a blessing that there is a counter side for drinking in the form of hangovers, otherwise more and more people would be drinking as much as they liked without having to question what they were doing, as there would be no consequences. I could never contemplate that taking drugs wouldn't have a come down, and it's no different with alcohol, except it's not a "come down", we just call it a hangover instead. Bit of a waffle there.....
Anyhow, "hi" to all on this thread, old and new. Hope you are having a safe and sober evening x x x
LBNS
You never regret NOT drinking the next morning.

ChamomileTea

Post by ChamomileTea » 15 Dec 2015 23:31

Yes, indeed LBNS! I mentioned it because my mum drinks too much and doesn't get hangovers at all. Not in the slightest.

And fair point.... If there were no comedowns, no hangovers... I'd probably do a hell of a lot of drugs and drink!

I'm in bed with iPad and kindle. I know I shouldn't bring electronics to bed with me, but when I've got quite bad insomnia like this last week or so, I prefer to make bed a relaxing, pleasant place. Not a place where I dread going. Lack-of-sleep anxiety is rubbish!

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 17 Dec 2015 20:57

Hi CT and others here :\:

Cham, glad you are back to staying sober! I have horrendous hangovers, and with Kindling, they just got worse and worse each new one. That is my main motivation for staying sober, just not to experience that near death from hangover ever again!

I still do not feel tip top, being sober, but I surely feel much better than before.

Anyway, I hope you and all the other Tweekers stick with it, remember we are all rooting for you! Work related parties are so dangerous, so tempting, yet, think about it, do you want to make a fool of yourself in front of your coworkers. True, everyone else will probably be in the same boat, but if you stay sober, you can be the smug one and know that you behaved yourself and didn't become fodder for work place teasing and general yuks! :oops:

Hang in there, gang, I have been away for a while, have no excuse, just been ordering things on line and getting somewhat ready for the hols!

Deanna :mrgreen:
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.