Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Re: The Two and Three Month Challenge

Analyn
Last Drink Date: 09 Jan 2017

Re: The Two Month Challenge

Post by Analyn » 09 Feb 2015 22:22

JOH, What a horrid thing to happen, rarely are dreams so vivid that you think they are real but when they happen it is scary. :o I have known this.
Please don't crumble?!
Yes, was an awful scene with Lauren in EE?! Expected her to spit it out or something?!
I do hope that tomorrow is a much better day for you. <:)>

George

Post by George » 10 Feb 2015 06:50

Morning all

Good on you, Jo. Well done for not giving in. Really hard I know but hopefully it's gone now and life's a bit easier today ;)

Hope everyone's fine, off for a cuppa now ;)? ;)? ;)?
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

joholdbrook
Last Drink Date: 07 Dec 2014

Post by joholdbrook » 10 Feb 2015 07:12

Morning analyn gerorge

Yes I feel ok this morning Iv shook it off and hope today is nothing like yesterday that was really a awful day but strength comes with each day you don't listen to the demon I guess my god it's freezing out there just let my chickens all out

Clovis hope the rest of your evening went quietly our oh do test us I am sure

Time for a cup of tea I think and kitten cuddle the dog hasn't got up yet
Je suis prest

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 10 Feb 2015 07:22

Jo, our other halves are sent to try us...
Luckily I have a room at work as I live and work in different places, so I can go and stay there any time if I feel like a break. Probably this eve in fact ;)?
Last edited by Clovis on 10 Feb 2015 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

Zandra 1
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2015

Post by Zandra 1 » 10 Feb 2015 07:23

joholdbrook wrote:Evening Clovis don't take the bait

Hey everyone and our newbies my post is pretty short tonight though about posting all day had a awful night sleep I had a dream I was so drunk and driving but couldn't see out the windows woke up and I was to scared to get up as I really thought I had done it took me a while to realise I wasn't hungover it wasn't real but it put a real downer on my day Iv struggled all day really really want a drink so badly I am fighting g this with everything Iv got in my body watched eStenders and yes watched her take a drink and I wanted that drink thought about sneaki g a bottle in and just having sips of it but I left the shop empty handed it's stressed me so much I. A headache with it

Glad your all doing well don't think I am ready to move threads yet I feel like I am crumbling night all x

DAY 38
Hi all \:)/ still not feeling good but Que sera ey? ;) Jo xxxx, I'm not trying to be a 'Mystic Meg' here love, but that line in your post, I had a dream I was so drunk and driving but couldn't see out the windows isn't that exactly what may/would happen if you had been drunk behind the wheel ? :o

And now your craving a drink although you never bought one? personally i would see it as a warning, people have premonitions in their sleep of whats to come, or when their awake as well. Maybe God's trying to tell you something ? coz that's how God / Creation/ The Universe/ Your Higher self, call it what you want talks to us, not some booming disembodied voice that comes from nowhere. :shock:

Its also the quiet voice in our head's that tells us 'don't do it' whatever it is and without fail, we ignore it at our own peril or shut it out and carry on regardless. Its like some one slamming a door in our face when we may be trying to save their lives? Try not to stress and let it get to you as its not meant to do or be like that, its the 'gift of foresight' which is way better than going out, having something terrible happen under the influence and hindsight wishing you never. Say a silent thank you to where or whoever it came form and celebrate doing the right thing not just for you but who knows who else. ;)? <:)>

Love to everyone Zandra xxx <:)> <:)>
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.
Epictetus

All philosophy in two words, — sustain and abstain.
Epictetus

Born to rock and roll
not roll rock bottom
by Zandra

joholdbrook

Post by joholdbrook » 10 Feb 2015 07:43

Morning zandra this dream yes it's a warning I had the same sort of dream a few days before but even weirder I was in the car with my son I had been drinking he was telling me to drive up a fence as he was late which I couldn't and this is the strange part he kept playing a song over and over again in the car a song Iv heard but don't no the words to I googled it actually to see who sung it red light spells danger I bloody new all the words when I woke up now that's bloody weird
Je suis prest

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 10 Feb 2015 10:03

Dreams are weird Jo! I'm not entirely convinced that they carry hidden meanings but according to those who interpret them it seems that they often carry messages that are the exact opposite of what they appear to be. So, a drinking dream does not necessarily mean that you want to drink. Perhaps the dream is reminding yourself that drinking makes you feel bad and that is why you have stopped doing it. Did anybody ever have a drinking dream and woke up thinking: 'Cor, that was a lovely dream'? Not according to the posts on BE.

I don't watch Eastenders but I went googling to find out what this Lauren drink thing was. I ended up on the Daily Snail website and this sentence leapt out at me. "Why it has taken until now for Lauren's drink problem to rear its ugly/pretty head again is not clear.". Oh yes it is! Well, two reasons. The first is to do with fitting storylines together but the second is this, which probably was not deliberate on the part of the writers. Our drink problem seems to go away in the eyes of those around us but it can burst out apparently from nowhere. Only we know that the beast is always where. Sometimes it sleeps but we have to keep it chained up every day while hopefully it starves to death. Sorry, not a nice image but it's not a nice problem.

I did watch Corrie for a while and I thought they took a pretty good crack at Peter Barlow's drink problem, especially his relapses. Somebody did their research properly.

Stay safe ;)?

Dave

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 10 Feb 2015 10:17

Morning all! I had a drink dream too. In the dream I was in a bar and someone said " go on - just have the one!" And I had a pint of Guinness, but I was already thinking about the next one...just like in real life. Relieved to wake up to find it was just a dream...

bentnotbrokenwings

Post by bentnotbrokenwings » 10 Feb 2015 11:28

jaxom7 wrote: Only we know that the beast is always where. Sometimes it sleeps but we have to keep it chained up every day while hopefully it starves to death. Sorry, not a nice image but it's not a nice problem.
Dave
Morning all, actually a perfect image Dave, and one I am going to hang on to, chain that beast out in the backyard and don't feed it, let it slowly freeze and starve out!
I too have had a few dreams about drinking, and I wake up feeling like thank goodness it was just a dream. Have had a few days here lately where drink thoughts have entered, have managed to shake them off but notice they are getting stronger. Need a better plan for attack, I DO NOT want to give in. Don't understand why this was going so easy for me and all of a sudden it's creeping into my thoughts... granted been a rough few days, but still, I know drinking isn't the answer, even if I was still drinking these wouldn't be the days I wouldn't over-indulge as even then I knew it would only make things worse. Strange, I just feel like if I gave in it would be a complete binger right now. Need to stay strong.
Welcome all the newbies to the two monthers, hope we aren't scaring you off!! Please feel free to post and share, reading other's experiences really helps us all stay strong and on track.
Much <:)>s to all, keeping this one short as I am not my usual positive, motivational self this morning. Shrugs, it is still early, have the rest of the day to find my happy place!!
It's not anxiety,it's alcohol.It's not depression,it's alcohol.It's not a miserable life,it's alcohol.When u make a choice to drink it,you also make a choice to have anxiety,be depressed,and have a miserable existence.Make better choices.

joholdbrook

Post by joholdbrook » 10 Feb 2015 11:47

Hey dave yes the research with Peter in coronation street was very good so back to eastenders Lauren is stressed she nos a secret she has been offered drink I. A pub so I guess like all of us she is buckling under the pressure

Now funny that I class myself as a addictive personality I hoard food that I don't Eat I buy numerous amount of something I fancy I actuLly don't drink really on stress I drink when I am happy very happy but can drink on stress also

The dreams I think is just what's in our beIn over the day mixed with all other things I don't think I. Ever woke to say yay that drinking dream was the best hope I have another tonight I once Had a dream my oh was dead I. A coffin I didn't wKe up and think Yer let's kill the little shit I so enjoyed that dream (may have thought it many times actually) so who nos what our brains think
Je suis prest

Cheddar
Last Drink Date: 26 Dec 2016

Post by Cheddar » 10 Feb 2015 12:09

There was a Horizon program about dreams the other week, but it seems to have been taken off the i-player now.

In the section about nightmares it was suggested that these are actually a good thing that hark from our caveman days. Dreams about being chased by lions or tigers or monsters are common in children and the researchers were presuming also common in our ancient ancestors too, where lions and beasties really were a danger. It was suggested that these types of dreams are like training scenarios helping the mind better cope with them in real life.

In adults, nightmare scenarios tend to be more about everyday modern life such as loosing your keys, crashing your car, being late for an exam etc. Maybe the drinking dreams are "training scenarios". Or could just be wish fulfilment I guess.

Shame the program has expired on iplayer now. It was quite insightful and explained it much better than my attempt above.

joholdbrook

Post by joholdbrook » 10 Feb 2015 12:49

Interesting cheddar I personally think a dream is your deepest thoughts mixed in with other things things that play heavily on your mind but I am not sure but to wake up and think it's real is horrific

I remember when I was bad with drink I had gone to bed and had a dream of my nan stroking my head and telling me it's gona be ok jo and she kissed me on my eye when I woke I had a bad eye for a week not swollen just hurt like it was bruised now I wonder if o was gona die and she sent me back or was I just so very drunk and poked myself in the eye
Je suis prest

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 10 Feb 2015 12:57

Hah, dreams! I used to have a common recurrent nightmare where you are being chased and can't run. The common theory is that you can't run cos your feet are caught up in the blankets or duvet. This was when I was a boy and I read that you can influence your dreams by thinking hard as you go to sleep so being a little cherub I did and it worked. I was being chased and in my dream I stopped running and turned around. I started running. A high-pitched voice screamed: "Oh noooooo! H'e's coming after us!". No idea what that was about. 50 years later I have never had that dream again. Ooh-er missus!

More recently was my AF drinking dream. I don't do AF beer or wine, just don't like it but it has its place. In this dream I was being pressured into having a Becks Blue - that's AF for those that don't know. I woke up with the usual bleugh! feeling plus - wtf? I don't even like the stuff. Perhaps that thought was the message? Dunno :lol:

bentnotbrokenwings

Post by bentnotbrokenwings » 10 Feb 2015 13:34

Wouldn't exactly take this as the gospel, but from Dream Dictionary Dot Org's interpretations of what we dream about, "Drinking alcohol suggests that you need to escape life and experience some thrill or adventure." & "Being drunk in your dream means that your actions are thoughtless you are trying to run away from reality."
As for driving, "A car in your dream is a very important symbol that you want to pay close attention too. When we dream of being in a car you must remember every detail about it. Where you driving? Was somebody driving you? What were the conditions of the road and the weather? If you answer these questions it would help you understand more about yourself and the position your in at this giving time. Dreams of cars represents our drive in life, and the direction we are taking.

So you are driving a car! This can be good or bad symbol. If you are enjoying driving a car in your dream, symbolizes you are in a very comfortable position in life and worry free. If you are driving in tough conditions represents that its going to be a bumpy road ahead of you. If you have a dream of being in the back seat, symbolizes that you have lost your drive and others are making decisions for you. The person driving will help you better understand who might be controlling your direction. If you are in the passenger side in the car means that you are content being in second.

Was your car stolen in your dream? When we dream of someone taking our car it represents a fear of loosing your character. You fear somebody is going to take what's important away from you. You may be afraid of loosing your job or relationship.

Dreaming of your car losing control has everything to do with you! At this stage of your life you may feel that you are off track and need to get back on the road to keep going. What has you sidetracked? Did you loose control with someone you know in the car? You might have to get them back on track. You car doesn’t work in your dream? Most of the time we dream of our car overheating on the side of the road. When we get dreams like this it represents that we are working way to hard and we are going to get burned out. You might need to take some time off to relax. If your car is parked in your dream means that you are stagnant in your life at this giving time. You need to get moving! It’s possible that you need to stop and enjoy the important things in your life that you have been neglecting."

Food for thought??

(EDIT- dot org not dot com... and I was awake when I made that typo.... what does that mean? LOL)
It's not anxiety,it's alcohol.It's not depression,it's alcohol.It's not a miserable life,it's alcohol.When u make a choice to drink it,you also make a choice to have anxiety,be depressed,and have a miserable existence.Make better choices.

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 10 Feb 2015 14:26

Ok so I have a car dream once or twice a week and it's always similar. I dream I have left my car in a car park somewhere and it takes ages to find it. When I find it, the car is always dusty and hasn't been driven for a long time. I can usually get it started, but then the garage says x or y needs fixing, or sometimes I cant find the exit to the car park. Once I dreamt I saw a car park as big as a city stretching out in front of me as far as the eye can see......and my car was in there somewhere....

I'm not feeling like drinking at the moment but I can see this could change at any time. I have an addictive personality and at the moment I feel I am addicted to not drinking. E.g. it has become a fixed habit now to have milk after going to the gym, ginger ale with dinner, Berocca vitamins at 11am etc etc.

Jo - I'm same as you. I drink when I'm happy, not to combat sadness.

Freshie - I will try to be a good boy in HK this time -!;)

BNBW, Jaxom, Cheddar, Sammie, Snarky, Trina, Rose, Finley, Sherlock, Chiffon, Chinagirl, Zandra, George and Analyn, we are all still in this together, and probably need each other and these threads more now than over the past couple of weeks.

For me, the support generated by groups of kind people helping each other is the "higher power". Together we are so much stronger than alone.

Clovis x

bentnotbrokenwings

Post by bentnotbrokenwings » 10 Feb 2015 14:56

Ok since we are on the topic of analyzing, has anyone ever analyzed their urges? I was thinking about this in the shower this morning (odd place I know lol) but the urges I have had lately have been for wine. Let me first give a bit of my drinking history before moving forward with this thought.
I quit drinking two years ago by tapering with beer. I could drink beer, but never really liked it per say, unless it was a cold one after a day, or hours working out in the sun. I usually drank vodka with juices, or straight( :( ) when I wanted a quick drunk, or I'd have wine... something about buying wine made me feel like less of an alcoholic, after all the image made of wine is one of class and wealth (at least here in US). Plus I could be cooking with it, adding it to the dinner table to enhance a cut of meat, etc. so buying it didn't give the impression I was off to get hammered :roll: I also enjoyed Captain Morgan's rum with coke or dr. pepper. Those were my go-to drinks for my daily intake and binges. So beer helped me to taper and quit.
When I started drinking again, it was a glass or two of straight Dewar's over rocks to de-stress after a tough day. It started out occasionally, and when it became daily I switched back to vodka/juice, or wine. Pretty quickly, I cut back my liquor as it was getting me really drunk and feeling horrible the next day, and the wine was making me incredibly emotional and irrational, also leaving me hurting bad the following day. So I tried to drink beer, but always had to drink 8 or so to feel anything, but it was also good because I could just have a couple-few daily and still get my alcohol without getting too buzzed to hurt the next day. When I had a really bad day, my go to was wine, knowing it would make me feel worse about the situation because of how emotional it made me after a few glasses. (I always thought when buying it, just one or two will release the stress, but was never able to not finish the bottle and end up an emotional wreck).
Back to analyzing my cravings, as I said I all of a sudden have been having them off and on the past few days, after not a thought or urge for 5 weeks solid. Friday night when I just wanted a drink, it wasn't a specific drink, it was just a "one to take the edge off, whatever it may be". Saturday's day craving the same, although I felt I would have preferred something stronger than a beer, and last night, it was WINE or nothing. Yesterday was a particularly horrible day for me, and I am wondering if THAT is the reason I not only had a craving, but the SPECIFIC craving for WINE. I drank wine when I was already emotionally strapped, knew it made it worse, but that was my go to anyway. So I am wondering if there is a correlation between what the trigger is and what kind of buzz we crave to deal (although I know for sure it doesn't help me deal, it intensifies it and leaves me feeling worse) with that particular trigger.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am wondering if I could more understand my urges, then maybe I can add some power to my AF shield. I don't want to give in, but last night I did almost turn the car around on the way home to hit the store (WINE WINE WINE). I managed not to, but it was a close call that really could have gone either way....

mags

Post by mags » 10 Feb 2015 14:58

Hi, just nosing around and saw you were discussing the Eastenders Lauren whiskey incident last night. I found myself muttering - 'Don't do it' at the T.V. It is just the kind of situation I fear would cause me to drink again after 80 days sober. I was surprised when she actually did it but thank the scriptwriters for making me think of what I could do instead in a similar position.
Dave - you are right. The compulsión to drink is always there waiting to rear its ugly head so we need to be vigilant at all times - we all drink for different reasons but once we become addicted we are never fully free from that f**k it moment. As they say in AA we are only given a daily reprieve.
Can't wait to see where they are going to go with it tonight. I have an aa meeting and a friend round for dinner first so hopefully my shields will be well up.
Better get ready - keep up the good work everyonex

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 10 Feb 2015 14:58

Guys, absolutely nothing wrong with discussing dreams here and we should keep on going if we want but if you want to throw it out to a wider audience I have bumped up the Weird Dreams thread in the Physical and Mental Health section. She hasn't been around lately but Winkler is very, very good at interpreting dreams. I am still undecided about it but her interpretation of a couple of my dreams really resonated. If you are looking in Winkler - no pressure intended, you are of course free to engage or not and I respect the not but if you feel inclined then your posts make thoughtful reading, on that and any other matters.

Clovis, I can interpret that one. You car is a disgrace. Wash it!

Oops, cross-posting again. Off to read Mags and Bent!

jaxom7

Post by jaxom7 » 10 Feb 2015 15:46

Bent, have you read up about PAWS (Post Alcohol Withdrawal Symptom)? We have a thread on it in Physical and Mental Health. Sorry, can't post a link. Got a new operating system on my iPad and things have changed wot I haven't sussed yet. Some authorities say it doesn't exist, others say it does. My experience says it does and if it does then it affects up to 75% of us. I don't actually care if it is real or not. It feels real. It can typically occur for up to two years for alcohol, longer for benzos - it features in other addictions- , it comes in waves but each wave is shorter and less intense than the last although of course when in the middle of it it seems worse than when you look back on it.

The symptoms are varied but my own view is that they home in on our personal weak spots. I am a 'head' person rather than a 'heart' person so that is where it gets me. My thinking goes fuzzy and that drags my emotions along behind. Others find the opposite. I don't like labels as excuses but if you can put a name to the beast then under 'old magic' rules you gain power over it. Not excuses - oh, I did that thing because - but power as in: 'Ah-ha! That is what it is. I understand. It is normal. I am normal. Time to knuckle down. It will pass and I no longer fear it.'. If it does exist (and I think it does) then it is a feature of our brains healing.

Maybe it is not PAWS, perhaps it is some hidden trigger. Ever had a light bulb moment :idea: You don't have to have one to win but I had one, courtesy of Topcat. Thanks hun. The 3-Day Preparation Period. I went through a period of wobbling and crashing and thought back through the previous day to try to identify the trigger. Uh-uh. Often OK but also often is we give ourselves permission to drink well, well in advance of that. There are signs but they are very hard to spot. Just an example and you might do it for a valid reason but.... you have a flurry of activity, you get work things bang up to date, you clear your diary, you get on top of the house chores. Organized? Or subconsciously making way for a session? Please don't over-think think this. Second-guessing yourself is not good, just be aware. To be perfectly honest I still cannot spot the early signs of PAWS or whatever it is. I start dipping. Not drinking thoughts per se but things start sliding so I work on it and - touch wood - it has worked. Catch it early and it easier to cope with and if I over-react? Nothing lost.

Dave

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 10 Feb 2015 15:49

Haha Jaxom - you are exactly right! That's uncanny!

I haven't washed the car since driving to Aachen and back in the snow and mud for New Year! :D